Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT Thread Closed

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    Same here.

A suite is the perfect cloth for any gentleman. Every man looks the best in a good, tailored suite. No doubt that's the reason why James Bond is wearing those instead of some Khakis. 

European mentality :)

I always find that Europeans have more taste in clothing than Americans. 

Nah, Europeans just get off and being hot and uncomfortable I think. They like to wear pants and suits even in the Summer. I think RC loves Florida because he can just wear sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt, and totally fit in.

RC is an American disguised as a German 

--

Whoopsy:

The human answer to NSA Smiley Which explains those super powers Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

d997h:

Hmmm, come to banking city Mainhattan and you will see a lot of suit and ties in sportscars ... like myself ... that's the way it is ... and, we are looking goooood .... Smiley

So do all the Porsche sales persons in most Porsche dealerships... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Whoopsy:

I'm more of a xxx disguised as a Germany but living (virtually) in America. Smiley

Proof: I haven't watched a German tv show or movie for at least 20 years.

More proof: It is easier for me to find words in English than in German (it happens pretty often)

Even more proof: My kids excel in English and basically do not learn at all English for school (oh well, maybe a bit grammar).

Final proof: I feel at home in Miami, same as in Germany. Same goes to my kids and wife and especially for my wife, which is pretty weird because she actually feels good in Germany as well and has many friends here.

Absolutely final proof: My kids basically don't know any German actor or musician, also haven't watched any German tv shows or movies with very few exceptions (in class/school or with friends) and my daughter knew the alphabet in English when she was almost two but it took another six months or so to learn the alphabet in German.

On a more serious note (the above is actually true though): I never planned or forced it, it just happened "naturally" over the past decades based on various experiences, in and outside Germany. 

I am not idolizing the US or Americans, they have lots of flaws as well (Europeans have "different" ones...) and me and my wife discuss them often when we are talking about moving to the US but I feel close to them for various (political, mentality and sympathy) reasons.

And we are off-topic...again. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

noone1:
    Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    Same here.

A suite is the perfect cloth for any gentleman. Every man looks the best in a good, tailored suite. No doubt that's the reason why James Bond is wearing those instead of some Khakis. 

Nah, Europeans just get off and being hot and uncomfortable I think. They like to wear pants and suits even in the Summer. I think RC loves Florida because he can just wear sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt, and totally fit in.

Smiley I do not look like a German, I actually fit in pretty well in Florida, especially when I have a tan. Most people talk in Spanish to me, so go figure... Smiley

You'd be disappointed: I am never wearing shorts, always wearing long jeans (no, I'm not feeling hot, not even at very high temperatures, I also barely sweat, which is a plus) and you won't see me often in a t-shirt (on the beach or during sports only), I usually wear a shirt...not tucked in (god forbid Smiley). I noticed that my "style" (I dress like that since I am 30 or so...so for the past 20 years) seems to become more and more popular around the world. Smiley 

--

RC:
    noone1:
    Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    Same here.

Smiley I do not look like a German, I actually fit in pretty well in Florida, especially when I have a tan. Most people talk in Spanish to me, so go figure... Smiley

You'd be disappointed: I am never wearing shorts, always wearing long jeans (no, I'm not feeling hot, not even at very high temperatures, I also barely sweat, which is a plus) and you won't see me often in a t-shirt (on the beach or during sports only), I usually wear a shirt...not tucked in (god forbid Smiley). I noticed that my "style" (I dress like that since I am 30 or so...so for the past 20 years) seems to become more and more popular around the world. Smiley 

you forgot to add the Timberland boots Smiley

indecision Right...unfortunately they aren't exactly part of my "style", I have to wear them because of an injury and the necessary inlets I have to wear. surprise My wife already bugged me for so long to try something else (I tried many different brands and styles but they all are uncomfortable for my "condition"), so I try different styles from time to time but so far, the Timberland boots are amazingly comfortable and "soft", like walking on baby clouds. indecision 

Only people who have an injury or whatever foot condition understand this I'm afraid. I can walk for miles without any issues but when I have to walk barefoot on a flat surface (at home for example), I get problems (pain) even after a few meters. Unbelievable. Even my house shoes have a thick and soft sole... yes

Back to AMG GT discussion: There are tons of cars available at German dealers, not exactly a bargain but I doubt the GT is a bestseller. Haven't seen many for a while (saw one in Miami and one at home now only), so I wonder how successful they are. Smiley I think their "problem" is not that they are not as attractive as a SLS, I think their "problem" is actually the fact that they look a bit exotic, out of the ordinary and many (business) customers in Germany want something less obvious. Just a wild guess though... 

--

Still I don't get it, if you don't like Europe why you didn't go to the US when you graduated from school/university?

wantone:

Still I don't get it, if you don't like Europe why you didn't go to the US when you graduated from school/university?

Not possible for various reasons (university, job, family business, etc. etc. etc.). 

Also things have changed a lot in Europe over the past 10 years or so...

--

Mercedes-AMG GT Roadster Coming This Year

While Mercedes may well be on the way to introducing a top-of-the-range hybrid supercar, they are also hard at work developing new variants of the AMG GT. 

Mercedes-AMG boss Tobias Moers was quoted in an interview with AutoCar stating that Mercedes will release a roadster version of the GT later this year. Actual sales will commence in spring 2017.

According to Moers, the Roadster version will receive “a different variant” in addition to the normal and S versions. He did not confirm what this new version would be, but the smart money suggests that it will be a high performance version that uses the powertrain from the uber fast AMG GT R.

Not much more information was offered by Moers regarding the new Roadster. However, we expect to hear more information including spy shots and leaks as we get closer to the reveal of the car later this year.
    We will keep you updated.

Mercedes-AMG F1 Supercar on the Cards http://gtspirit.com/2016/04/26/mercedes-amg-f1-supercar-cards/

Nice. Finally. Both BMW and Mercedes really should expand into the niche. They both really lack anything exotic or exciting looking.

noone1:

Nice. Finally. Both BMW and Mercedes really should expand into the niche. They both really lack anything exotic or exciting looking.

I never understood the i8. Give this car a decent engine, decent tire sizes and a sportier interior and voila, BMW has the perfect super sports car. The i8 isn't ugly but you can clearly see that BMW wanted to differentiate themselves from the typical super sports car.

--

noone1:

Hope bmw brings back the 850. One of my faves.

Kind of agree and disagree. 

That i8 is a bit a weirdo, isn't it? The car looks cool because different, but it looks not like a super car. It looks more like a future car and that is what they wanted to achieve. It drives nice but not WOW. Ac RC states - those tires are way to slim, looks ugly and performing horrible. 

The 850 on the other hand used to be cool. A huge V12, flip lights and a look so different from any other of the cars in the line up. A decent GT and for sure a future classic.

Regarding AMG - I heard about an real super car. Way above 1000 HP, price in the range of the Chiron. So lets see and hope they get it right.

I hope it's not multi-million dollar. As cool as those cars are, they might as well not exist. LF? 918? P1? Chiron? Out of my price range and they barely make any, so for me, I couldn't care less whether they exist or not.

Lars997:

Kind of agree and disagree. 

That i8 is a bit a weirdo, isn't it? The car looks cool because different, but it looks not like a super car. It looks more like a future car and that is what they wanted to achieve. It drives nice but not WOW. Ac RC states - those tires are way to slim, looks ugly and performing horrible. 

The 850 on the other hand used to be cool. A huge V12, flip lights and a look so different from any other of the cars in the line up. A decent GT and for sure a future classic.

Regarding AMG - I heard about an real super car. Way above 1000 HP, price in the range of the Chiron. So lets see and hope they get it right.

With the wide selection of AMG engines, I have no doubt they can squeeze out over 1000 hp out of their V8 engines Smiley but it will be much smoother and easier with a turbocharged V12 Smiley 

Michael Kübler is one of those guys that are always appointed for such projects.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/vehicles/real-passion-mercedes-amg-and-michael-kubler/

The magic word is...downsizing. I do not see any V12 engine in any new Mercedes road legal car on the horizon.

Even Ferrari will move away from the V12 sooner or later, it is just a matter of time.

I am also pretty sure that Lamborghini and Audi will abandon the V10 at some point and go for a bi- or tri turbo charged V8 instead.

--

On the contrary i predict new v12 generation for top brand with new manual gearbox even with ferrari!

JEANTET:

On the contrary i predict new v12 generation for top brand with new manual gearbox even with ferrari!

Well, I am curious how they will achieve that with all the new environmental restrictions coming along over the next couple of years... Smiley

--

Hybridisation will improve a lot.

We are at the beginning.

JEANTET:

Hybridisation will improve a lot.

We are at the beginning.

True but hybridization will also make cars heavier... Smiley

--

JEANTET:

I have been expecting a return to gated manual from Ferrari for many years.  There is definitely an appetite for it.  A Dogleg 7spd (like Aston-Martin) would be ideal with the gated shifter.  Since AMG and A-M are partners now, I would love to see an AMG with this gearbox too!

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I doubt Ferrari will ever do manual again. They are not backward looking like Porsche is. Manual has no place in a performance sport car today. Ferrari always had to justify their performance vs Porsches or other competitors, and in the past Ferrari were often slower and criticized for it. Reverting to manual would bring back the lower performance numbers that haunted them before. Also Ferrari is a small manufacturer, how many manuals could they sell? A few 100s? Porsche sells several thousands...

SciFrog:

I doubt Ferrari will ever do manual again.

I will bet you a beer.  Smiley

Not sure when, but I think they will do it (possibly as a limited edition for lots of money or maybe on their entry level Dino). 

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Driving involvement in Ferrari is good enough vs Porsche so that they don't need to use the cheap trick of going manual again.

The classic ferrari manual gearbox Is a cheap trick?

people wants real emotions when they drive and in the future more and more customers won't care about the 30 percent shifting improvement bla-bla-bla of dsg and all the other ´s metrics.

I don't think Ferrari will ever go manual again. 

Yes putting manual in current cars is a cheap trick. I love manual cars, I own two of them, but I would not pay top $ for a new fast car with a manual gearbox.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689596 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409240 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234998 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858000 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774054 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM