Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne

RC:
    cayenneturbo:

For when the hybrid?

Next year...I think.

I asked my Porsche dealer to make me a (good Smiley) offer for the new Cayenne Turbo.

Why? Simple: I love the idea of getting a GLC63 S AMG and I already have a good offer for this car but if a GLC 63 S AMG costs around 134k EUR, why not ask my Porsche dealer what he can do about a new Cayenne Turbo? If the lease offer is good... I doubt it though. From past experience, Porsche leases are always more expensive than BMW and Mercedes leases, even if the price is similar.

thanks RC. I think you can not compare a GLC with a Cayenne Turbo. the GLC is to compare with the Macan. it is my opinion.

I would like to know your opinion as an expert since I have a question: which cayenne gas would you buy to use daily for less than € 60,000?

The GLC 63 S AMG has a V8 Biturbo engine, similar to the Cayenne Turbo. While the Cayenne, especially the new one, is on a completely different quality level than the GLC, I think that performance is similar (actually maybe a tad better on the GLC). From a driver's point of view, I think both offer a similar grade of fun.

Daily driver? People would say V6 but for fun, I would always take a GTS (V8 version) or a Turbo. Not sure however if you get one for less than 60k. Smiley There are older Cayenne S with V8 which sound amazing with a proper sport exhaust but considering fuel consumption, this can be an issue. It is difficult to get a V8 Cayenne under 16 l / 100 km (well, at least I had difficulties Smiley). Don't get a 955 (first gen), they have too many first gen issues in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

The GLC 63 S AMG has a V8 Biturbo engine, similar to the Cayenne Turbo. While the Cayenne, especially the new one, is on a completely different quality level than the GLC, I think that performance is similar (actually maybe a tad better on the GLC). From a driver's point of view, I think both offer a similar grade of fun.

Daily driver? People would say V6 but for fun, I would always take a GTS (V8 version) or a Turbo. Not sure however if you get one for less than 60k. Smiley There are older Cayenne S with V8 which sound amazing with a proper sport exhaust but considering fuel consumption, this can be an issue. It is difficult to get a V8 Cayenne under 16 l / 100 km (well, at least I had difficulties Smiley). Don't get a 955 (first gen), they have too many first gen issues in my opinion.

Thank you very much for your help and opinions. I have never had so many doubts when buying a car as I am with the Cayenne. 

I'm going to look for and negotiate some GTS, although from what I see the Turbos are cheaper. but maybe I like the driving and sound of the GTS more.To be continuedSmiley

The V8 GTS sounds very good (for a SUV and for a stock car). I would not get the V6 Biturbo GTS because it sounds like crap (similar to Macan Turbo with sport exhaust). Macan GTS may sound a tiny bit different but still crappy.

Chassis setup on the Cayenne GTS (958) with V8 is amazing, I was doing some crazy stuff with that car and really loved it. If there is a definition of "sporty" in a SUV, the Cayenne GTS clearly is it. The chassis on the V6 Biturbo GTS has been improved but like I said before, the engine is boring, the sound crappy.

Yes, it is probably easier to get a 958 Turbo for around 60k than a GTS but the 958 Turbo is excellent as well (though not that "sporty" and you have the typical turbo lag) and with the proper sport exhaust, it also sounds good.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Get the 4.8 NA V8 GTS. Stellar for the price range you are in. 

RC:

The V8 GTS sounds very good (for a SUV and for a stock car). I would not get the V6 Biturbo GTS because it sounds like crap (similar to Macan Turbo with sport exhaust). Macan GTS may sound a tiny bit different but still crappy.

Chassis setup on the Cayenne GTS (958) with V8 is amazing, I was doing some crazy stuff with that car and really loved it. If there is a definition of "sporty" in a SUV, the Cayenne GTS clearly is it. The chassis on the V6 Biturbo GTS has been improved but like I said before, the engine is boring, the sound crappy.

Yes, it is probably easier to get a 958 Turbo for around 60k than a GTS but the 958 Turbo is excellent as well (though not that "sporty" and you have the typical turbo lag) and with the proper sport exhaust, it also sounds good.

I have tried the GTS V8 and the consumptions are very high for me, I have made it 18 liters slowly and 23 aggressive driving. I loved it but I think it is not for day to day. I offer the S Diesel exhibition with 0km at a very good price. you that you have one at home what do you think?

Yes, we have a Cayenne S Diesel and while it is an excellent SUV and feels very powerful, it is boring as well. angry

Diesel consumption in the city is around 13-14 liters / 100 km (normal driving) but can go up to 17 or 18 l / 100 km if I drive full throttle on the Autobahn. I drive in Sport mode most of the time, so Diesel consumption could be a bit lower when driven in standard mode.

Engine feels much more powerful than it actually is (monster torque), sound is OK (for a Diesel)..it sounds like a V8 from the outside when you accelerate but barely noticeable.

Very comfortable ride though, no doubt but the chassis is way too comfortable for me (I prefer the GTS chassis).

--

Saw a Cayenne Turbo , looks better in real than in the pictures. The exterior design really innovative part is the rear. IMG_9214.JPGIMG_9215.JPG 

RC:

Yes, we have a Cayenne S Diesel and while it is an excellent SUV and feels very powerful, it is boring as well. angry

Diesel consumption in the city is around 13-14 liters / 100 km (normal driving) but can go up to 17 or 18 l / 100 km if I drive full throttle on the Autobahn. I drive in Sport mode most of the time, so Diesel consumption could be a bit lower when driven in standard mode.

Engine feels much more powerful than it actually is (monster torque), sound is OK (for a Diesel)..it sounds like a V8 from the outside when you accelerate but barely noticeable.

Very comfortable ride though, no doubt but the chassis is way too comfortable for me (I prefer the GTS chassis).

Okay, I'm definitely going to look for a GTS. here are 60.000€ and I want a funny car, because if it is not fun in a few months I will have to sell it and in the end I will lose more money than throwing gas at the gts. I have also seen the gts V6 at  78,000€ try to try both. I'll tell you what I finally stay for. a million thanks RC, you're a crack.

IMG_5440.PNG

Real pics look very bland and boring. Not what you would expect for a sporty SUV. When you factor in the ridiculous prices of the high end models, I cant see how their sales will go up (unless they keep doing the super cheap leases RC raves about).

I have big hopes for the URUS to take the top spot of fun exoctic sporty SUV that the Cayenne once had. On the confort side, the crown wis now on the Bentley SUV which will soon be affordable as a recent used car (despite its bland outside design, but that’s outweigh by the superb interior). For luxury fun SUV, the RRS takes the crown when you factor in price.

Hopefully Porsche doesn’t destroy the place and value of the Macan in the future the way they did with the Panamera and the Cayenne.

SciFrog:

Real pics look very bland and boring. Not what you would expect for a sporty SUV. When you factor in the ridiculous prices of the high end models, I cant see how their sales will go up (unless they keep doing the super cheap leases RC raves about).

I'm afraid I'm out of luck when it comes to the new Cayenne Turbo... Still waiting for an offer from my sales guy but I'm not very optimistic.

I have big hopes for the URUS to take the top spot of fun exoctic sporty SUV that the Cayenne once had. On the confort side, the crown wis now on the Bentley SUV which will soon be affordable as a recent used car (despite its bland outside design, but that’s outweigh by the super interior). For luxury fun SUV, the RRS takes the crown when you factor in price.

Depends on how the Urus looks like... If it looks too exotic, customers may avoid it. If it looks too boring, same thing.

Hopefully Porsche doesn’t destroy the place and value of the Macan in the future the way they did with the Panamera and the Cayenne.

As far as I heard, the Macan is supposed to become an ELV entirely, with a few exceptions.

--

m4ever:

Saw a Cayenne Turbo , looks better in real than in the pictures. The exterior design really innovative part is the rear. IMG_9214.JPGIMG_9215.JPG 

Looks nice IMO!

More modern than the outgoing version. Pity you need to get the 200k Turbo version to make it look good...

--

turbolite

I was at the IAA this year, personally I find the difference between the 4S and the Turbo very small. I really like the new Cayenne very smooth from outside and very nice form the inside. Although the car is bigger compared to the old one it does not look big at all. The level of finishing is up to the Porsche standard, much better compared to f.a. Mercedes The problem with the turbo is twofold. In my Country (Belgium) the road and registration tax is extreemly high compared to the 4S. (Road tax per year: Turbo €2.678, 4S €907; registration tax one time turbo €10.928, 4S €3.485), But this is still if you really like the car this is okay (my Audi R8 is worse). The bigger problem is reseal/trade in. There is just no market at all for used Cayenne turbo's it is not a question of depreciation but just no buyers. Anyhow I bought a Cayenne 4S as new daily driver, full option production already end of November.

IMG_2547.jpg1506754106202IMG_2546.jpg

The prices fall quickly. My neighbor at the lake sold his used Turbo for $16k. It was six years old with barely 50k miles. He paid many times more than that. It must have cost him $2 per mile in depreciation. I agree there is no used Turbo market for the SUV. 

It's funny how lately I've been seeing a lot of 996 era Cayenne Turbos in the less affluent neighborhoods. I can't imagine what these people are thinking buying some old POS Cayenne. Not only are they crap compared to anything remotely new, the repair costs would be insane for these people, probably more than the car is even worth.

I may be confused, but I don't think there is a Cayenne 4S.  Also,  unless you have money to throw away, leases are the best option. All luxury brands depreciate terribly. 

Leawood, what year was your friend's Cayenne Turbo  that he sold for 16K?  I had a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S that cost 130 K and sold it with 30,000 miles on it for 78K after five years. Rough depreciation, but certainly nothing like your friend's car.

I barely got $50k for my 09 Cayenne turbo S 5 years after new. My friend only got $50k after 4 years. You got very lucky to get $78k because thats not where the market was, maybe it was in return for another overpriced car?

The market in my large metropolitan area was very good. My car was bought within a week.  The car was in excellent shape and the owner was looking for a nice used Turbo S. I actually saw my car at the airport about a month later.

noone1:

It's funny how lately I've been seeing a lot of 996 era Cayenne Turbos in the less affluent neighborhoods. I can't imagine what these people are thinking buying some old POS Cayenne. Not only are they crap compared to anything remotely new, the repair costs would be insane for these people, probably more than the car is even worth.

Same here in Germany, just saw two(!) 955 Turbo at my local supermarket, one of them was with black painted aftermarket wheels and some sort of roof wing, it looked pathetic. They are relatively cheap now, so people go for them. Actually I was thinking for a second to get a 958 Cayenne Turbo S(!) I was offered with low mileage (30k km) for 80k EUR. A steal but I would drive an old car... Smiley Just realized that my dealer already sold it. That went fast.

--

Sci Frog, not sure what market you were talking about.  I remember that the my dealer offered me 70K, but I checked on various Web sites and values were 80K or so, so advertised it in the paper.  Guess I got lucky, found a sucker, or did something else right! 

In the end, the depreciation was 57K on a 135 K car.  Not a great investment, but the car brought me and my family great enjoyment.  And the buyer got a great car for less than 80K.  

But after this experience, I decided to lease my current car.  It still costs me over 2000/mo on a three year lease, so now I can just ignore the depreciation hit in my mind...yes

In the northeast... My friend and I tried but we couldn’t get rid of them (in 2013 and 2014).

Wonderbar:

Sci Frog, not sure what market you were talking about.  I remember that the my dealer offered me 70K, but I checked on various Web sites and values were 80K or so, so advertised it in the paper.  Guess I got lucky, found a sucker, or did something else right! 

In the end, the depreciation was 57K on a 135 K car.  Not a great investment, but the car brought me and my family great enjoyment.  And the buyer got a great car for less than 80K.  

But after this experience, I decided to lease my current car.  It still costs me over 2000/mo on a three year lease, so now I can just ignore the depreciation hit in my mind...yes

Ouch. Smiley Yes, I love leases because I don't care about depreciation but I try to find good offers (which may not always be possible with a new model though...still waiting for my Porsche sales guy to tell me the Cayenne Turbo numbers).

--

The new Cayenne looks nice. But that's the problem - nice is the little brother of "nothing special". 

A 200k car needs to look overwhelming, Needs to look different than anything else. Check the Bentayga - its arguable if it is beautiful or nice at all. But - it is different, it stands out. The Cayenne - yep, nice German SUV. But it will not turn any heads. 

Lars997:

The new Cayenne looks nice. But that's the problem - nice is the little brother of "nothing special". 

A 200k car needs to look overwhelming, Needs to look different than anything else. Check the Bentayga - its arguable if it is beautiful or nice at all. But - it is different, it stands out. The Cayenne - yep, nice German SUV. But it will not turn any heads. 

Well that's the point of Porsche, none of them ever was spectacular looking, be it good or bad (Bentayga), even the 918 doesn't stand out that much.

All Porsches are built for the driver, not the looker on the street.

My Cayenne Turbo S looks basically like any other Cayennes, only me will know it will trounce more than half the sports cars on sale on my track.

--

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:

Well that's the point of Porsche, none of them ever was spectacular looking, be it good or bad (Bentayga), even the 918 doesn't stand out that much.

All Porsches are built for the driver, not the looker on the street.

My Cayenne Turbo S looks basically like any other Cayennes, only me will know it will trounce more than half the sports cars on sale on my track.

True - thats called understatement, isn't it?Smiley

For me, Porsche's USP is top performance in an understated package with reasonably high usability (rear seats, ground clearance, etc.). They are unbeatable.

But I gotta agree that this Cayenne looks extremely bland. I suppose they have an ace up their sleeve for the facelift. I just hope it won't be too late for the brand -other than 911- because I'm perciving very little buzz/excitement in their last announcements -e.g. Porsche Sport Turismo TTS-.

With that said, I suppose the sales figures will shut my mouth up.

It was mentioned before here but in the USA, from the back, the new Cayenne will look exactly the same as the new Lincoln...

SciFrog:

It was mentioned before here but in the USA, from the back, the new Cayenne will look exactly the same as the new Lincoln...

I really can't get over this...... Every time I see a that Lincoln, don't know what it's called, I remember the Cayenne. Smiley

I actually was recommending my sister to get one before it was unveiled, but after seeing it she decided to get a 911 instead.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752981 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430650 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255445 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868260 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801802 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM