Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Sport Exhaust 997 Carrera S - no more switch?

Today I had the chance to see and hear (just at idle... ) a 997 Carrera S with Porsche Sport Exhaust.
    First thing: even during standstill it sounds a little bit throatier, deeper but maybe this was just my first impression.
    Second surprise: the rear pipes look different than the rear pipes on the Porsche website (there is a small "connection" between both pipes), it looked almost like the original exhaust, one pipe was slightly but only slightly smaller.
    Third surprise: I didn't see any switch and I was looking for it. But it seems that the exhaust works on the same principle as the 996 PSE with a clap system. I saw the vacuum hose (I hope this is the right name) attached to the exhaust.

Maybe I'm blind but no switch and I really had two long minutes to look for it. No questions answered unfortunately. First exhaust systems should go to customers earliest late Nov. or Dec. as a retrofit from Tequipment. Funny: the Porsche website says this month.

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust 997 Carrera S - no more switch?

i heard they use some sort of valve that increases sound depending on throttle opening...

but mabye not, i mean the switch is nearly useless, most people were finding ways to disable any cutoff in the exhuast

if your paying $1500~+ for an exhuast, you'd want to hear it all the time anyway, and if you need it to be quiet sometimes, the throttle valve seems like an interesting solution.

or mabye it has something to do with the SPORT Switch with sport chrono?

My dealer said it was the Sport switch. I'm quite keen on being able to turn it off because when I leave the house early in the morning (I live on a crowded London street) I don't want everyone looking out of their windows having been woken up and thinking what a tosser I am.

the Tequipment Catalog description of the Sport Exhaust supports no switch

ah so it IS connected with the throttle somehow.

yay i was right

however, this will add labour costs to the installation

i got from a very reliable source that it is switch operated...

Quote:
    Trundle996 said:

Sounds similar to the BMW sport exhaust, which is quieter at low RPMs, and gets louder when accelerating hard, by the movement of a baffle.

I highly doubt PSE is controlled by the sport switch, since that would mean you'd only have the nice exhaust note when engaging the stiffer suspension setting--doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
    poursha said:
    Quote:
    Trundle996 said:

Sounds similar to the BMW sport exhaust, which is quieter at low RPMs, and gets louder when accelerating hard, by the movement of a baffle.

I highly doubt PSE is controlled by the sport switch, since that would mean you'd only have the nice exhaust note when engaging the stiffer suspension setting--doesn't make sense to me.

poursha ,when you press the sport button the suspension become stiffer ,yes ,but then after you press the sport button you can press the pasm button ,the suspension will go back to soft setting while the sport button is still engaged,meaning you get all sport button advantage except firm suspension..

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    poursha said:
    Quote:
    Trundle996 said:

poursha ,when you press the sport button the suspension become stiffer ,yes ,but then after you press the sport button you can press the pasm button ,the suspension will go back to soft setting while the sport button is still engaged,meaning you get all sport button advantage except firm suspension..

So to get the sport exhaust sound you need to start the car, press the sport button, then press the PASM button (assuming you have PASM--what if you don't have PASM?)? Somehow that doesn't sound very elegant.

With the 996 PSE, if you wanted the sport sound, you just start the car (the default setting is sport sound--that's why you ordered the ~$2,000 option). If you want to put the exhaust into quiet mode, you press the PSE button. The 997 explanation seems backwards.

Quote:
    poursha said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    poursha said:
    Quote:
    Trundle996 said:

So to get the sport exhaust sound you need to start the car, press the sport button, then press the PASM button (assuming you have PASM--what if you don't have PASM?)? Somehow that doesn't sound very elegant.

With the 996 PSE, if you wanted the sport sound, you just start the car (the default setting is sport sound--that's why you ordered the ~$2,000 option). If you want to put the exhaust into quiet mode, you press the PSE button. The 997 explanation seems backwards.

when you press the sport button ,the pasm is engaged automatically ,no need to press it again. but actually we dont know for sure if the sport exhaust will use the sport switch or have a separate switch,or no switch at all

according to the description in the car configurator there is a switch

Quote:
    DubPor said:
    according to the description in the car configurator there is a switch

really? do you have the link?

Text reads from the UK configerator:
    "With modified silencers incl. sports tailpipes (four-pipe look). Includes switch in lower switch trim mounting to reduce noise output to standard levels if required. Note: available from approx. January 2005"

Quote:
    DubPor said:
    Text reads from the UK configerator:
    "With modified silencers incl. sports tailpipes (four-pipe look). Includes switch in lower switch trim mounting to reduce noise output to standard levels if required. Note: available from approx. January 2005"

This is what the UK website says about the 997 S Carrera S sport exhaust:

Sports exhaust system (911 Carrera S)
    The 911 sound conveys power, presence and natural sporting prowess. Better still, it can now be enhanced with our sports exhaust system for the 911 Carrera S. Output varies as throttle inputs change, ranging from the standard engine note in normal road driving to a more aggressive tone during high-performance use. The twin exhaust channels culminate in dual-tube tailpipes with a high-gloss hard-chrome finish.

Switch? No switch?

Hi RC,

The quote I have used comes from the car configurator module. You select the sports exhaust and a little icon pops up. Select the icon and you get the info.

My car has PSE from the factory and Sports Chrono Plus. You must start the car, press the Sport button and, if you want PASM off, you must press PASM because it turns on at the same time when you press Sport. It IS a step backwards since my 996 C4S had PSE on as default and would only be off if you switched it off. I can't understand Porsche's logic with this. I would like it to have Sport and PSE on as default but with PASM off and turn PASM on whenever I chose to independently. The dealer told me there is no way of programming the car to do this.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    My car has PSE from the factory and Sports Chrono Plus. You must start the car, press the Sport button and, if you want PASM off, you must press PASM because it turns on at the same time when you press Sport. It IS a step backwards since my 996 C4S had PSE on as default and would only be off if you switched it off. I can't understand Porsche's logic with this. I would like it to have Sport and PSE on as default but with PASM off and turn PASM on whenever I chose to independently. The dealer told me there is no way of programming the car to do this.

No. you can mod your car to have PSE on all the time. Search this forum. There are numerous posts on this topic.

I never understand how such old posts get resurrected so many years later...

A search wouldn't have found this post as it's back from 2004 and the search only lets you look at 2 years ago.

That means either someone book-marked the thread and then came back to it after being away for a very long time, or someone went to page 258 (ie. the last page) accidentally and started replying!!

I dont have an S, sooo I have the on/off switch for my PSE. I always run my PSE on..only a few times I turn it off to be courteous..Gotta have my sound going...

I think, if you have PSE, the PSE always on mod is essential. I love enjoying the sound while I accelerate when I'm driving around town with windows/roof open.

A friend heard it for the first time this past weekend and said "It sounds like it's alive"!

I have PSE on my S.... It's very simple, here's how it goes:

If you HAVE Sport/Chrono = Press the Sport button after you start the car. The PSE is now on... It doesn't matter if the PASM button is on or off.

If you DO NOT have Sport/Chrono = There will be a button where the sport button would be, (probably next to the PASM button), that will have a dual tailpipe symbol on it, after you start the car, push the dual tailpipe button and your PSE will be ON.

Either version, with PSE ON, the valve is controlled by your speed and/or RPM. From what I figured out on mine and what I read, the valve is open by default (with PSE on)... under 50 MPH, the valve is controlled by your throttle, and possibly some RPM... If you are going out your driveway and hit the throttle, it closes the valve (to keep the neighbors happy) and when you let off the throttle it opens the valve again, and I assume that if you are in a low gear and the RPM's are above about 3,000, you will get the PSE sound.....

And over 50 MPH it stays open no matter what RPM or how hard you are no the throttle....

There are multiple posts about this, as well as posts about different ways to mod it so you can either have it on all the time, or have an on/off switch.

Personally, I just unplugged the orange plug in the engine compartment, and it's on all the time, and I love it. Then again, I only drive my car on the weekend, if that and to misc. places here and there... If it was a daily driver, I may think twice about doing the on/off switch mod, or just leaving it as it stock so I can just hit the Sport button....

Well, the PSE is indeed controlled with the Sport switch. If you want to have then PASM normal, you have to press the PASM button once to get it into normal mode. The PSE will continue to be engaged and you also get the sharper throttle response.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Well, the PSE is indeed controlled with the Sport switch. If you want to have then PASM normal, you have to press the PASM button once to get it into normal mode. The PSE will continue to be engaged and you also get the sharper throttle response.

RC made this post in ... october 2004.
    How come such old threads re appear is a mistery.

Let me see if I have this correct: I have a sport chrono equipped car, so if I get PSE, then to turn it on, I have to press the sport button to go into sport mode.

But . . . what if I just want PSE on and not the other things that go with sport mode, like the sensitive throttle map and delayed PSM response?

You cannot have PSE on without Sport on. No way that you can do it. You can select normal for PASM afterwards and you could turn PSM off, if you like, but you cannot have PSE without Sport turned on, period. The only way to do it would be by unplugging the harness at the engine bay or disconnecting the vacuum hose in the engine bay also. But then, you will have PSE on all the time without being able to disable it! What was Porsche thinking is unfathomable.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    You cannot have PSE on without Sport on. No way that you can do it. You can select normal for PASM afterwards and you could turn PSM off, if you like, but you cannot have PSE without Sport turned on, period. The only way to do it would be by unplugging the harness at the engine bay or disconnecting the vacuum hose in the engine bay also. But then, you will have PSE on all the time without being able to disable it! What was Porsche thinking is unfathomable.

I believe there is a way to engage the PSE w/o activating Sport Mode. If I recall it requires adding a switch & wiring to remove the +12V from the vacuum solenoid. Do a search on 'PSE' to find more details.

Quote:
    AP997S said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:

I believe there is a way to engage the PSE w/o activating Sport Mode. If I recall it requires adding a switch & wiring to remove the +12V from the vacuum solenoid. Do a search on 'PSE' to find more details.

Here's the 'MOD' I was referring to:

PSE Modification from RennTeam Forum

The purpose of the factory cut-off is to comply with residential area noise regulations in some countries (Switzerland for one )
    At speeds up to ~ 50 mph the PSE will cut off whenever the throttle is used agressively .Above 50 , it stays on loud.

Here is how the PSE works:

The PSE mufflers have two pipes coming out of each muffler.
    Each muffler has three chambers in it.
    The bypass pipes have a damper inside, which when closed , makes the exhaust go thru the entire muffler. When open, the exhaust exits already from the first muffler chamber (loud).

The dampers are vacuum activated and are normally OPEN (loud position )
    The vacuum hose has an electric solenoid valve (12 v)in it, which is activated by the cars computer and controls the vacuum to the dampers .
    The solenoid valve is normally CLOSED .

You can install an on-off switch in the solenoid valve electrical wire. If no voltage goes to the solenoid ,it closes and does not allow the vac. to close the bypass pipe dampers and the PSE will stay loud, irrespective of what the computer does.

You can find the electrical wires going to the solenoid if you remove the carpet behind the rear seats ( pull up in the center of the car and just remove it )
    then unbolt the metal plate above the electronics ( passenger side) and look for the two wires exiting into the engine compartment(far left corner , looking to the rear )

Cut the red/purple wire ( +12v ) and splice an on/off switch into it.I installed my switch in the console ashtray.
    You can run the wires to the front of the car by tucking them under the plastic trim along the passenger side.
    All you need to remove is the storage tray under the passenger side door.Pull out the rubber cover , remove one crew and pull it out. Run the wire thru and replace. After that, again, tuck the wire behind the passenger footwell covers and around to the center console .

The easiest way to have the PSE on loud all the time is just to disconnect the orange plug to the solenoid( located in the engine compartment)

Another way is to disconnect the vacuum hose to the PSE dampers. But then you have to make sure that the hose is properly plugged, since the cars vacuum system is used for other things as well and you may get an error message .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765233 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437168 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261372 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258176 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877450 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809674 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM