Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

BjoernB:

they probably don't even have the funds to keep the car....

totally agree with you all, they all got burned...Tom (TGE TV) flipped his 720S at a loss thinking the demand will be high hence got an early allocation, Paul Wallis (SOL) flipped his Lamborghini 580-2 unfortunately the car depreciated at an alarming rate and STG flipped his McLaren 540C at a loss. If you cant afford it don't buy it  Smiley

Italo:
    BjoernB:

they probably don't even have the funds to keep the car....

totally agree with you all, they all got burned...Tom (TGE TV) flipped his 720S at a loss thinking the demand will be high hence got an early allocation, Paul Wallis (SOL) flipped his Lamborghini 580-2 unfortunately the car depreciated at an alarming rate and STG flipped his McLaren 540C at a loss. If you cant afford it don't buy it  Smiley

Agreed. Good reality check for all of us - guess what - cars depreciate! These guys are a blot on the Petrolhead landscape.

Now you guys know why I wouldn't risk getting a car just to flip it (and also basically destroying my "relationship" with Porsche).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

anyone who thinks they can make money on an unlimited series production car is dreaming ..

sfo:

anyone who thinks they can make money on an unlimited series production car is dreaming ..

+ most "limitations" are just a marketing trick these days. Prices of these limited cars (all Porsche cars included) will not hold well...

@Italo

TGE's 720s is back for sale asking 279k. He bought it for 250.

Any info how much was the loss on the Lambo and the 540C?

Yeah I heard TGE sold the 720 at a loss to a private guy, same car is at a dealer at £279k now tell me who will pay £279k for a 720S. I was thinking of getting a 570S a few months ago so I went to McLaren Ascot were they had a brand new car fully spec at £179k.

The sales guy was willing to go down to £150k if I was truly interested. After a long thought I decided not to go for it, why?  If McLaren is ready to give a massive discount like that I could imagine how much I will loose on the car based on ownership over a 2yr period, seems depreciation on McLaren's are massive right now and I'm not willing to loose that kind of money.

Same goes for Lambos and so called limited Porsche's, they are all overpriced and the manufacturers know this. None of these cars are worth their asking price.Smiley

Going back to your question on SOL and STG's cars, I think they are still advertised at the dealers.

With Porsche every limited car was worth the sticker for sure. A GT3/2RS is not limited - just limited by production time

Italo:

Yeah I heard TGE sold the 720 at a loss to a private guy, same car is at a dealer at £279k now tell me who will pay £279k for a 720S. I was thinking of getting a 570S a few months ago so I went to McLaren Ascot were they had a brand new car fully spec at £179k.

The sales guy was willing to go down to £150k if I was truly interested. After a long thought I decided not to go for it, why?  If McLaren is ready to give a massive discount like that I could imagine how much I will loose on the car based on ownership over a 2yr period, seems depreciation on McLaren's are massive right now and I'm not willing to loose that kind of money.

Same goes for Lambos and so called limited Porsche's, they are all overpriced and the manufacturers know this. None of these cars are worth their asking price.Smiley

Going back to your question on SOL and STG's cars, I think they are still advertised at the dealers.

I recently sold my 997 RS (to the guy I bought it from 4 years back, crazy enough), I can tell you advertised prices have nothing to do with prices at which the cars actually move. It was still a profit but only because I bought at a time before this whole 'bubble' started.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:

I recently sold my 997 RS (to the guy I bought it from 4 years back, crazy enough), I can tell you advertised prices have nothing to do with prices at which the cars actually move. It was still a profit but only because I bought at a time before this whole 'bubble' started.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Good that it is gone . As you say, not easy to sell these ' special ' cars . They are just not enough clients to buy all the new models offered by quite a few brands now + all the used cars that are just pilling up and the pile is getting each year bigger . 

I just looked quickly the other day at the Scuds on Autoscout CH , they are 2 or 3 pages of them ....... then ass all the Speciale, all the RS , all the McL, all the Lambos ...... you have probably 300 cars to choose from in a small market when people anyway prefer to buy new .

How come did the old owner want it back ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Porker:

--

Good that it is gone . As you say, not easy to sell these ' special ' cars . They are just not enough clients to buy all the new models offered by quite a few brands now + all the used cars that are just pilling up and the pile is getting each year bigger . 

I just looked quickly the other day at the Scuds on Autoscout CH , they are 2 or 3 pages of them ....... then ass all the Speciale, all the RS , all the McL, all the Lambos ...... you have probably 300 cars to choose from in a small market when people anyway prefer to buy new .

How come did the old owner want it back ? 

I know, I think in Gemany the prices are not as much under pressure as in CH as the market is much bigger but in CH there's just an over supply of luxury/sportscars. I actually think at current CH prices it starts to make sense to export cars from CH to EU.

The old owner had always said I should contact him when I sold, but I knew he was always going to offer towards the lower lever of the market so I wanted to give Mathieu the chance first. He uses the car for trackdays so it made sense for him to buy mine as it's setup for that, which is not ideal for resale but perfect to enjoy...

--

Italo:

I was thinking of getting a 570S a few months ago so I went to McLaren Ascot were they had a brand new car fully spec at £179k.

The sales guy was willing to go down to £150k if I was truly interested.

that's a decent discount! 

but IMO, you made the right decision.

market for cars >£120k quiet in the UK amid Brexit uncertainties

My dealer has a 991.1 GT3 RS for a couple of months now (customer sells it), with a very low mileage, almost new. Asking price was 215k EUR, now it is 201k EUR I think...probably even under 200k as we speak. Once the 991.2 GT3 RS shows up, he will have trouble to sell the car for under 180k.

They keep their value well but making a profit with these cars? Not likely, at least not a big profit.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

720s vs 1000 hp FGT

Impressive angel

720S vs 825hp tuned 650S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQn2GxtMTMM

I don't know...I had a couple of tuned cars but I do not have any desire to get one anymore. Maybe because of my experience, there was always an issue...

--

I just drove a 720S first time on German highways - simply speechless.....best car I've driven next to the 918 hands down and surely packs the best package currently available. Only the electric seats are a bit fiddly and not as good as the racing seats in the 675LT - but that car drives like a daily when you Keep stuff in normal mode but flick a Switch it is clearly faster in a straight line than a 675LT. (which has 50% more aero but nonetheless) - I am totally flashed....

2:45+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYBy1GesDM

Impressive for RWD angelangel

That's really impressive for RWD going up against an AWD with that amount of emotor torque.

Competition is good! Mclaren did a great job - amazing what the brits can do when they put their minds to it  

elon needs to bring out max plaid mode soon indecision

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

BjoernB:

I just drove a 720S first time on German highways - simply speechless.....best car I've driven next to the 918 hands down and surely packs the best package currently available. Only the electric seats are a bit fiddly and not as good as the racing seats in the 675LT - but that car drives like a daily when you Keep stuff in normal mode but flick a Switch it is clearly faster in a straight line than a 675LT. (which has 50% more aero but nonetheless) - I am totally flashed....

You are just impressed by the power... Smiley Smiley

--

nope - Cockpit - overview - new Iris - build-Quality - the only downsize to a NA car is Sound.

they had a Performante in green to test but I didn't even bother....

BjoernB:

nope - Cockpit - overview - new Iris - build-Quality - the only downsize to a NA car is Sound.

C'mon...sound is 60% of the pleasure of driving such a car...

Because you are interested in power only/mostly? Smiley

I can relate to that though, I was the same before...until I met Mr. R8. Smiley

--

720s.jpg

RC:
    BjoernB:

I think you're mixing up stuff - I still remember when you wanted to race me against my RS in yr Panamera and just talk about Autobahn Speeds - so welcome to my world Smiley

BjoernB:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

I think you're mixing up stuff - I still remember when you wanted to race me against my RS in yr Panamera and just talk about Autobahn Speeds - so welcome to my world Smiley

From age 18 to let's say 35, I was very much interested in curves and tracks, this was all the fun I needed. After that, with the first child, the first SUV came and...no more tracks (at least not as much as before) and mostly traveling with the family...on the Autobahn. I enjoyed this time a lot because instead of getting smaller, lighter cars with amazing chassis setups, I was actually getting heavier and more powerful cars which surprised me over and over again how sporty they still felt...and actually were (for their weight and size).

Now I kind of got bored of power (I'd say the tuned 2014 Shelby GT500 with over 750 hp I had for over a year was kind of an eye opener, power is great but if you can't really put it on the road, it can be tiresome) and got back to my first days of driving. The R8 is of course no Lancia Delta HF Integrale but I try to look at it as a heavier but more powerful version. 

If I wouldn't have taken the R8 road, I may have landed in your world (McLaren 650S was on my radar for a while, so was the Aventador SV but it was too pricey for me). Now I realize that I have a car which sounds absolutely amazing and which drives the same way too and while a 720S may easily outrun me on the Autobahn, so far...and I have driven in groups with many faster cars, I do not feel that the R8 hasn't enough power. Our group drives on the Autobahn are usually limited by traffic, so even a 918 can't really outrun me (maybe for a second or two). On country roads or (rare) track events, the R8 shines all the way. Of course this isn't only the car Smiley but I never felt underpowered or in any way handicapped. This is why I always get a little bit sad (or disappointed?) when people seriously ask me: "A R8? Why?". Even after I literally kicked their asses or at least kept up without a sweat. Smiley

Is the R8 the best sportscar in the world? You know the answer: Of course not. Not even close. For me, it is what I think I can "afford" without putting my financials in danger...or my family. Would I drive a R8 if I had more money? Probably not. Honestly. I would get the Huracan Performante. My dream car. Smiley Smiley

--

If a 720S and a Performante are side by side and were allowed to grab the keys I would not even look to the 720S, would go straight to the Performante. 

The720S may be faster in a straight line, but you can't really use the difference in the real world public roads, except for short acceleration bursts at high speed in the highway were the 720S may pull away from a Performante, but that gets boring quick, maybe impressed by it when I was younger and starting to experience cars it was exiting, but not now nor do I care about bragging rights (and if I want real jaw dropping acceleration I can buy a sportbike). 

The rest of the time the Performante is the car to drive and enjoy, the sound, tge rawness and that glorious engine... it's like comparing a half pound hamburger with a quarter pound steak, the hamburger meat give you more meat but the steak is in a different class.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752905 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430580 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258528 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255430 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5254 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868187 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801726 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM