Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Turbo: took the plunge!

Congrats Alex, enjoy.

brad

She's beautiful; congratualtions! The acceleration is something else, isn't it?

Went and fitted new HRE wheels today. Lighter than stock and designed specifically for Porsches (even accommodating the TPMS sensors)

I kept the OEM wheels also, in case later I wish to revert. Some pics:

OMG Alex it's not even close. Car is beautiful before but now with the new wheels she looks absolutely unique (the only HRE P40 in England?) and stunnning. As familiar as I am with the rims, I find myself sitting here staring at your picture. She's pretty!! Very Very VERY PRETTY!
    Please (PLEASE) do not revert to OEM.
    Again, many many congrats. Enjoy the car in good health!

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Went and fitted new HRE wheels today. Lighter than stock and designed specifically for Porsches (even accomating the TPMS sensors)

I kept the OEM wheels also, in case later I wish to revert.

They do match the car paint colour perfectly! And they certainly make the car much more unique (along with saving a bit of weight).

The only thing I am still getting used to on the P40s is having the calipers SO far away from the rear spokes, and so close to the front ones. The OEM wheels hide this more.

Also, the OEM ones are dark brown/grey on the inside which hides the dirt better - something which in the REALLY bad weather we had today has already made the insides black and mucky-looking.

Another pic:

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    They do match the car paint colour perfectly! And they certainly make the car much more unique (along with saving a bit of weight).

The only thing I am still getting used to on the P40s is having the rear calipers SO far away from the rear spokes, and so close to the front ones. The OEM wheels hide this more.

Also, the OEM ones are dark brown/grey on the inside which hides the dirt better - something which in the REALLY bad weather we had today has already made the insides black and mucky-looking.

Is that your shadow in the picture messing up my view?

For the love of Buddha, please keep the wheels. Even now I am itching just to take pictures of her!

In case you are not into photography (ignore this if you already know): Wait until sunset time when light takes on that orange yellow hue, place her against a clean darker background (tree or darker building) with the sun shining on her--not your camera, your back against the sun, lower the camera angle (bring camera low to the ground), open up the lens to aperture 4 or so, focal length to 70 or so, I will guarantee "killer shots" for this very beautiful combination of yours.

As far as dirty wheels, I am sure you have something similar to these too?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Is that your shadow in the picture messing up my view?

No someone to my left taking pics too!!!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    As far as dirty wheels, I am sure you have something similar to these too?

Yes, but one of the reasons I went for Ceramic brakes is not having to clean the wheels all the time.

Not saying I prefer the OEM wheels...just saying they have their pluses

Those are great looking wheels. Are you gonna do the exhaust?

See if you can get Rejex over there. That should help with making it easier to clean the insides of your beautiful new wheels! Be sure to apply it everywhere.

Those ARE (IMO) the best looking wheels yet ("one of the best" to be diplomatic).

They're not too busy and not too simple. They balance the numerous features of the car's body (curves, wings, slats, vents) very nicely.

The stock wheels' defect, IMO, is that they have only straight lines, no curve-y lines to them which reflect the overall shapliness of the car's body. They're too focussed on the linear slatty/venty-ness of the car's body.

Good choice.

Here's a visual aid:

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:

Unsure about the exhaust now. Have made enquiries on the Tubi exhaust but after 3 days of driving the car, the stock exhaust actually sounds quite raucous in 1st and 2nd gear. Not vacuum sounding at all!!

In fact, I was accelerating (only lightly) in 1st gear down a one way street (with no pedestrians or side turnings) last night and an old guy right down the end of the road started waving his arms at me to slow down. I wasn't doing more than 20mph, so obviously the car sounds fast even when it isn't being.

When I stopped (due to traffic) at the end of the road and he caught up with me, he didn't say anything more. So I reckon he thought I was a 'boy-racer' with a big sports exhaust from a distance.

So we shall see. Not going to do anything now until next spring/summer I think. Just enjoy the car as it is run in.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:

Unsure about the exhaust now. Have made enquiries on the Tubi exhaust but after 3 days of driving the car, the stock exhaust actually sounds quite raucous in 1st and 2nd gear. Not vacuum sounding at all!!

In fact, I was accelerating (only lightly) in 1st gear down a one way street (with no pedestrians or side turnings) last night and an old guy right down the end of the road started waving his arms at me to slow down. I wasn't doing more than 20mph, so obviously the car sounds fast even when it isn't being.

When I stopped (due to traffic) at the end of the road and he caught up with me, he didn't say anything more. So I reckon he thought I was a 'boy-racer' with a big sports exhaust from a distance.

So we shall see. Not going to do anything now until next spring/summer I think. Just enjoy the car as it is run in.

A couple days ago, a black 997TT approached me (I was driving my black 997S). He stepped on it when he was near and I could hear the exhaust sound. I don't know if he was going full throttle, but it sounded pretty damn good. Not screaming loud. You can definitely here the exhaust note. In fact, what was most impressive was that you see the car take off and you expect a car that fast to sound loud. It didn't sound loud and and that was what was so impressive. A car that kick's as# acceleration wise with an exhaust note that wasn't overwhelming. Unlike, <I hate to say this>, but my PSE is pretty loud, even when I'm doing normal acceleration with the traffic. It's like I'm TRYING to sound loud, and my car isn't even WOT. I like the sound of the turbo.

I am currently having a problem with the driver-side front tyre pressure. Ever since I changed to my HRE wheels the tyre is losing about 1psi every 40miles driven. I just did a 4hr drive and lost over 6psi in that one tyre. The others are all fine.

I have tried tightening the valve but that doesn't seem to have helped. I don't think I have an actual puncture as I think it's been doing that ever since I left the garage with the new wheels on.

I am going to drive back to the garage first thing next week, but in the meantime I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of causes or even fixes?

I am guessing that the two most likely causes are a faulty valve or the tyres not seated properly on the wheel...

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

I am going to drive back to the garage first thing next week, but in the meantime I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of causes or even fixes?

I am guessing that the two most likely causes are a faulty valve or the tyres not seated properly on the wheel...

Did you try the old soapy water trick? Get a spray bottle and spray soapy water on suspect areas. You probably can't fix it but at least you may find out what kind of problem you're dealing with.

If bubbles point to the valve stem, unless TPMS is a different design you should be able to remove the valve stem _core_, clean and replace.

Another option: remove tire, bring to filled bath tub, see if you can find bubbles. WARNING: do this when wife/gf is NOT home.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Here's a visual aid:

Love it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688410 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408648 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255492 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234739 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773269 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM