Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Turbo: took the plunge!

Well I finally bit the bullet and placed an order for a MY08 Turbo coupe.

My earlier battle of the brain vs the heart was settled on a cost basis in the end. The Turbo, despite its much discussed short-comings, is still the best all round choice Supercar (at least for me anyway).

I will get to my spec in a minute but first I wanted to let you know some MY08 options that I saw today on my OPCs internal car configuration system. New for MY08:

• Turbo sports Body-kit (around Pounds3500) - includes revised front spoiler lip, and fixed rear wing. There was a warning about ground clearance on the system. Available from Sept 07, although the sales guy suggested that Dec-Jan was more likely.
    • No extended navigation option - this is now included in the base model as standard
    • More colours including that brown currently illustrated on the Porsche site with the Turbo Cab pictures.
    • Thicker leather multi-functional steering wheel

I think that was about it from what I recall. Oh yes, and a 2.3% rise in base price. Outch.

OK, so my spec is the following:

• Midnight Blue Metallic
    • Leather interior in special colour cocoa
    • Windscreen with grey top tint
    • Electric slide/tilt sunroof
    • ParkAssist (parking aid rear)
    • Sport Chrono Package Plus
    • Sport shifter
    • Manual Transmission
    • Adaptive sports seats
    • Heated seats
    • Floor mats
    • Three-spoke multi-function steering wheel in Aluminium Look
    • Gear lever and handbrake lever in aluminium
    • Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (VTS)
    • Telephone module

I am currently on the fence over the following:

• Rear centre console: Aluminium vs Leather vs Standard
    • Steering wheel: Multi-Function Thicker vs Aluminium
    • Rear axle-differential lock: yes vs no

Any thoughts?

I am also going to add privacy glass (tinted windows), and ClearBra/3M chip protection coating protection.

I am waiting to find out an exact month that I will get the car, but it should be somewhere between Oct and Dec. So at least I get to enjoy my Cabriolet for the summer before I trade in.

Pic as below, although the brakes will be yellow instead of red...

Re: New Turbo: took the plunge!

Alex, I spoke to my OPC yesterday and they had no new updates for MY08. My car arrives July so it's an MY07 anyway, but I'd be interested in the aero kit. Did you see any pics?

Everyone seems to consider the lsd, or the real axel differential lock to be a must have option on the manual. I would still do your homework just so you know what your paying for.

Quote:
    Maximus said:
    Alex, I spoke to my OPC yesterday and they had no new updates for MY08. My car arrives July so it's an MY07 anyway, but I'd be interested in the aero kit. Did you see any pics?

No, no pics - I wish. I assume it will make the Turbo look like the up-coming GT2...

BTW, did you heard any news about X50 power kit for 997 Turbo?

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    Everyone seems to consider the lsd, or the real axel differential lock to be a must have option on the manual. I would still do your homework just so you know what your paying for.

I really want it, but the OPC salesman said I would never even know that it was there unless you were doing 120+ mph on a track and really pushing it through a corner. He said on public roads it would never be used.

I am still on the fence though as I recall what the OPC sales guys originally said about the sports suspension option on the Carrera S. They said unless you track the car a lot then there was no point. This, according to many on this site, has proven to be an unjustified point of view.

So I am still unsure. Anyone with actual LSD experience like to comment?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    BTW, did you heard any news about X50 power kit for 997 Turbo?

No, I did ask (serveral times), but the OPC knew nothing about when a powerkit would be out.

I know it won't be on MY08 initial cars though as it wasn't an option on their system.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Maximus said:

No, no pics - I wish. I assume it will make the Turbo look like the up-coming GT2...

The 996TT Aerokit was very different from the 996GT2 so I'm very interested in seeing pictures of the 997 Aerokit. Kreso, are you listening? You're the man

Thanks! I did not trust my dealer when he told me the same thing.

Also, did you saw exterior and interior colors for MY08. There seems to be some chaanges(new Brown metallic as well as some new interiro colors)...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I am currently on the fence over the following:

• Rear centre console: Aluminium vs Leather vs Standard
    • Steering wheel: Multi-Function Thicker vs Aluminium
    • Rear axle-differential lock: yes vs no

Any thoughts?

rear console- aluminum
    thicker wheel
    and LSD a must on a RWD car, but the tt is all wheel, so i do not know what effect it would have.

The thick wheel bugs me. Reminds me of the NASCAR culture. The car is supposed to have supurb steering inputs and why would a huge, easy-to-wrestle wheel be necessary except if you have hand impairment. Sorry, just my opinion.

The rear center console painted? Reminds me of a Speedster or roadster, where weight and low-cost was inportant so guys did without "frills." Why that reference would be in a "luxury" GT car is contradictory.

Alumimum Look bits and pieces everywhere (on wheel in your spec)? Too much in the car already, bizzy, lots of competing trim details; why add more?

Last but certainly not least: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Thanks! I did not trust my dealer when he told me the same thing.

Also, did you saw exterior and interior colors for MY08. There seems to be some chaanges(new Brown metallic as well as some new interiro colors)...

Kreso, I will meet some guys from Weissach in about 2 weeks time. Maybe I can get some "hints" regarding the PK... At least I will try

I would search threads with lsd in the title. Sometimes you get something just to know you have it. Thats why your getting a turbo. You'll probably never use full accleration or roadholding ability but that doesn't mean you don't want it. If they offered better tires, would you not go for them? even though you may never notice the difference. Do you understand where I'm getting at. I have heard people claiming they hear the lsd working in corners but i dont know if thats true.

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    I have heard people claiming they hear the lsd working in corners but i dont know if thats true.

On the few occassions when i nail my gas from a full stop ( i usually roll a little first) I'll get a momentary spin and the rear kicks to the right, then the LSD hooks up the right rear wheel and it jerks the car straight and forward. You feel it. It's powerful and fun.

On a modern awd system, you probably never feel that sensation as all wheel slip is supposed to be eliminated.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The thick wheel bugs me. Reminds me of the NASCAR culture. The car is supposed to have superb steering inputs and why would a huge, easy-to-wrestle wheel be necessary except if you have hand impairment. Sorry, just my opinion.

The demo Turbo I drove today had the thicker MF steering wheel option. It was nice, much nicer than my standard (thin) MF steering wheel.

There was also a Carrera S Cab out the back today with an aluminum MF steering wheel. It looked great (finger grip ripples on the back) but I didn't get to hold it so I can't say for sure whether I will spec it.

Quote:
    Aluminum Look bits and pieces everywhere (on wheel in your spec)? Too much in the car already, bizzy, lots of competing trim details; why add more?

I like the looks of Rami's interior in cocoa. I think he has the gear stick and handbrake in aluminum and the centre console in leather:

This one looks nice too with even more aluminum:

I AM trying to keep the options list to a minimum though as the total cost is already more than I was originally willing to spend.

Congrats on joining the Midnight Turbo Club

If you let me decide you will have thick multifunction steering wheel, leather console with the lsd in the rear.

Thanks

I am leaning towards:

• Steering Wheel: Multi-Function Aluminum
  • Gear-stick/Hand-brake: Aluminum
  • Centre console: Leather
  • LSD

I am also hoping that the Power-kit when it comes out will be retrofitable...

• Re: New Turbo: took the plunge!

Nice car. Go for the LSD, thicker wheel of any type, and leather console.

Hello Alex,

I've given some thoughts to some of the same options. Although I will order my car with sand beige, I've seen a few cocoa interiors because a good friend has a cocoa leather fetish . My humble opinions:

Definite no to aluminum rear center console. It clashes too much with the rich brown interior.

I will not add wood to my sand beige interior, but if (and I am well aware it's a big if for quite a few people here so no flame please ) you feel wood is appropriate in this car, then I think makassar with cocoa leather is an ABSOLUTELY stunning combination. Makassar very closely matches cocoa and therefore doesn't make the interior more "busy" looking, yet the rich wood, with dark veins, next to the rich cocoa leather just look positively sublime. (It also matches my Chinese elbony furniture .) The makassar also "breaks up" that monotonous brownish interior--without making it look fussy. In fact this is the only wood/leather combination that works for me in a 911. Cost is not too much over the aluminum console that you are planning.

MF Wheel vs. Aluminum: Definitely leather over aluminum. In my opinion, this is function over look, and a critical option because this one you will feel all the times. My wife's car has wood steering wheel; for daily use, I find this particular non-leather surface to be slippery, hard on the hands, and not nearly as comfortable. I think that if you wear driving- gloves, then aluminum/wood/carbon wheel is great. Otherwise, leather. Cosmetically, I think aluminum works with black leather for example, but its cold/bright appearance just doesn't look right with the beautifully rich cocoa leather.

I should mention that I will opt for the sports steering wheel because the thicker multi function steering wheel does NOT have those critical thumb rests at 10 and 2 o'clock. The sports steering wheel is also very slightly, but noticeably, SMALLER in diameter than the MF wheel. I agonize over this option, but finally have decided that hand position and comfort are more important than the conveniences of the buttons on the steering wheel. So you might want to consider this again.

You didn't list PCCB but mentioned brakes will be yellow?

Yes to LSD.

If you decide on the leather console there are 2 other options that tie it together, they are:

Option CUV Storage lid w/turbo emblem

And the option that makes the trim between the shifter and the PCM leather, I forgot the Option part #. (thank Atomic for this catch) Together they are about $600 more, well worth it.

I went with the sand beige on midnight and it's an awesome combination. I also went with the sycamore package with the thicker steering wheel. Here's some photos.

Doh! Sorry about that ... here's another few photos.

Damn ... how do you attach multiple files??!! Dumb user error ...

Hi MMD, you probably already know this, but the OEM Porsche "thick" wheel is still nowhere near the thickness of the after-market wheels that bug you. In fact I could hardly tell the difference between OEM standard and OEM thick sports wheel by just looking. In contrast, the Techart wheel for example is very thick, too thick for my somewhat smaller than average hands.

And as you mentioned, thicker wheels, up to a point, do have a functional advantage according to a rheumatologist I know , especially as we are all aging (ok, like fine wine). It is more comfortable for the hands (again up to a point).

The MF standard does seem too thin for a lot of people; I think thicker MF wheel is a must if you are going the MF route.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The thick wheel bugs me. Reminds me of the NASCAR culture. The car is supposed to have supurb steering inputs and why would a huge, easy-to-wrestle wheel be necessary except if you have hand impairment. Sorry, just my opinion.

The rear center console painted? Reminds me of a Speedster or roadster, where weight and low-cost was inportant so guys did without "frills." Why that reference would be in a "luxury" GT car is contradictory.

Alumimum Look bits and pieces everywhere (on wheel in your spec)? Too much in the car already, bizzy, lots of competing trim details; why add more?

Last but certainly not least: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    You didn't list PCCB but mentioned brakes will be yellow?

Thanks for the feedback Can. Yes, ordering PCCB; don't know how I missed them off my list above.

Before ordering any aluminium options (rear console etc.) please make sure to see the alu look in real life. Personally, I consider Porsche's alu look very, very ugly. Cheap looking painted pastic parts...

Personally, I would always go for as much leather options as possible. The looks are much more classic

Many congrats Alex! Best of luck with the wait! You must be very excited now....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Before ordering any aluminum options (rear console etc.) please make sure to see the alu look in real life. Personally, I consider Porsche's alu look very, very ugly. Cheap looking painted plastic parts...

Personally, I would always go for as much leather options as possible. The looks are much more classic

I have been changing my mind every other day on exterior/interior colours and options - I doubt the next couple of months will be any different!

Appreciate the input

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Many congrats Alex! Best of luck with the wait! You must be very excited now....

Thanks Easy!!

I think I would go out of my mind if I didn't have my C2S Cab to keep me company until the Turbo arrives!

Nice specs, get the LSD, must have option not that expensive compare to the total cost vs benefits! Get it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763697 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436082 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260846 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257815 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

875380 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808438 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM