Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

We just drove the RUF rt12 today...

Sorry that I don't have better pictures but we spent half a day at RUF, had a nice chat with Alois Ruf and his team and of course we were able to drive the sensational rt12 and a supercharged 997 Carrera 4. Taking pictures was a little bit difficult since we saw many things we weren't supposed to see but we also were very impressed with the products, so we simply forgot to take more pictures. Sorry about that, I promise that I will make it up to you around early August if everything goes according to our plans.

Short driving review rt12:
    1. amazing power above 3000 rpm
    2. car behaves surprisingly calm during full acceleration, it feels less nervous than my 997 Turbo but weird enough, also slightly heavier
    3. the suspension is stiff but still manageable and much better than PASM. It isn't "jumpy", the wheels keep the contact with the street and although you still have some comfort left, it is a very sporty drive feel, almost race car like.
    4. PSM kicks in surprisingly rare and if it kicks in, it doesn't shut down power completely, a very pleasant setup. I was also surprised to learn that the rt12 actually seems to have better traction than my 997 Turbo, despite the 650+ HP power figure, not to talk about the over 800 Nm torque.
    5. gearbox and clutch felt very good, the car had a short shifter and it worked very precise, the clutch was easy to operate and the car didn't show any intention to "stall" at very low rev figures.
    6. the steering felt a tick less direct compared to my 997 Turbo but keep in mind that I have Michelin Sport Cup tires on my car, the rt12 came with Continental street tires.
    7. the power distribution, the gearbox, the suspension setup, etc. felt everything almost perfect, like if it wasn't a modified Porsche but a stock one. Impressive.
    8. where there is lots of light, there is also a shadow: the exhaust tone between 2000 and 3000 rpm was too loud and showed some sort of resonance, a very unpleasant noise. This can and will be adjusted, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yes, we drove the rt12 ourselves, not as co-passengers (apparently somebody really trusted us. ).
    Considering the fact, that this little baby does 0-300 kph in aprox. 24 seconds, almost 8 seconds faster than the Carrera GT and only a second or so slowlier than the McLaren F1, I think that today was one of the highlights of my automobile life, only driving a McLaren F1 or the Bugatti Veyron could probably top that.

For comparison: the 997 Turbo does 0-300 kph in 40 seconds.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the quality and performance of the rt12, I never actually thought that it is possible to get this from a little manufacturer. Everything feels like stock...just faster.
    I just wish I had the money...

Re: I just drove the RUF rt12 today...

Thanks - great review. What did you think of the supercharged 997? Money is money but at least you live with the Euro - I wish I had started an RT12 savings account two years ago and started filling it with Euros two years ago.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    Thanks - great review. What did you think of the supercharged 997? Money is money but at least you live with the Euro - I wish I had started an RT12 savings account two years ago and started filling it with Euros two years ago.

Well, here is the engine of the supercharged 997 Carrera 4. What can I say, I'm again impressed but mostly with the engine modification, not the car itself. The 997 Carrera is a great car and pretty powerful, personally I would go for a Turbo or a GT3 instead rather than adding a supercharger to my 997. HOWEVER: the supercharger modification offered by RUF is so well adapted that it feels like stock. I had a Mercedes E55 AMG, so I know how supercharged cars feel. The 997 RUF supercharged engine doesn't feel much different, it seems to be very well developed, there is no lag, no stuttering, everything just feels perfect. In my opinion, the RUF supercharger mod is the perfect addition to a Boxster or Cayman. RUF can do that too and we saw a Cayman with this modification, not only did it sound impressive, the acceleration was fantastic. Imagine over 100 HP more in a Cayman or Boxster, this is driver heaven.

I have to admit that I somehow underrated RUF in the past, his supercharger mod seems to be very good and I think I don't have to tell you again how much I was impressed with the rt12. Driver paradise.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Everything feels like stock...just faster.

Great report ,what a day must have been

Maybe you changed your opinion about RUF from now on, I have to say, that like you, I'm surprised by your words regarding the overall feeling of the RT12, seems to be far superior to a factory 997TT in most areas.

How about the 997 Supercharged?? What do you have to say about this one? Does it really feel like it has 450Hp?

J.Seven

RUF CTR...the "first". Alois Ruf loves this car and it seems that no money on this planet can buy it.

Engine of the CTR No.1

Customer request...

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    How about the 997 Supercharged?? What do you have to say about this one? Does it really feel like it has 450Hp?

J.Seven

Like I said before, it feels very powerful and it feels like a "stock" car, meaning that if I wouldn't know about the supercharger, I wouldn't actually notice it. You just press the throttle and the car achieves an amazing acceleration but since you don't have that typical turbo "boost kick", it feels less sensational. This is why I meant that although it surely adds performance to the 997, I would rather use this mod for a Boxster or Cayman. Just my personal opinion, the supercharged 997 I drove was absolutely great and fast but almost too great if you get my point. Maybe it felt that way because it was a Carrera 4, adding some additional weight to the whole experience.

RC, does the RT12 use the 996TT engine?

J.Seven

Quote:
    J.Seven said:

J.Seven

Well, the 997 Turbo uses the 996TT engine too.
    I can't go into details (I promised ) but I can tell you guys that much: the power of the rt12 is also possible in the 997 Turbo. Like I said before, I can't go into details but it is interesting enough. Of course you can't achieve this kind of power with a few little software/exhaust mods.

Have you seen the RGT?

How was it compared with the RS?

Quote:
    997GT2 said:
    Have you seen the RGT?

How was it compared with the RS?

Nope, no RGT, sorry. I don't know the RGT too well, so I can't say too much about it but from the experience of friends and people I know, the GT3RS is pretty much faster than the GT3 for example on the track due to the wider rear track and a different setup. Same power, same tires but still...a tick faster. Of course only in the hands of a good driver/pro.

Before the 997 GT3/GT3RS were available, the RGT certainly made sense but right now, I would probably go for the GT3/GT3RS instead OR I would buy a Cayman S and get the supercharger mod.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:

J.Seven

I can't go into details (I promised ) but I can tell you guys that much: the power of the rt12 is also possible in the 997 Turbo. Like I said before, I can't go into details but it is interesting enough. Of course you can't achieve this kind of power with a few little software/exhaust mods.

Tell us a price then please...

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:

J.Seven

Tell us a price then please...

A fully equipped rt12 with the most powerful engine variant and the "integrated" rollcage RUF is famous for, costs around 260000 Euro without tax. Since the rt12 puts the Carrera GT to shame, performance-wise, I think this is a very justified price tag. Especially since it comes with a 2-year warranty up to 50000 km as far as I remember and I also think they mentioned a possible third year of warranty under certain conditions.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:

J.Seven

The RT12 came to market way before the 997TT did and with no VGT. I was asking you just to be sure.

J.Seven

RC said:
    Before the 997 GT3/GT3RS were available, the RGT certainly made sense but right now, I would probably go for the GT3/GT3RS instead

Agreed...

That is my car next to 001, I have the Black CTR-2 #002 in the picture. It is getting some minor work done. Ruf completely rebuilt the car for me last year. So exiting to see your own car in someone else's picture.
    Thanks

580PS 760NM 1510Kg with 1/2 tank of fuel.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    The RT12 came to market way before the 997TT did and with no VGT. I was asking you just to be sure.

J.Seven

The question should be: does the rt12 use VTG technology? The answer is: right now, no. I can't go into details...again...sorry...promised.

Like I said in earlier posts, the current VTG engine of the 997 Turbo is good for up to 530-540 HP without much trouble if done properly. Squeezing slightly more HP out of it with some additional mods is also possible. Everything over 550-560 HP requires the removal of the VTG chargers and some other changes...for now.

Btw: the 997 Turbo package from RUF isn't ready yet for quality reasons. They want to make sure everything works according to their quality standards. I told you before...the new 997 Turbo is no easy tuning object...IF done properly. Unfortunately some Tuners are out for fast money with promises, promises and...promises. Look at the current "Sportscars" (german magazine) review of five tuned Turbos and you'll understand. There are already improvements and I'm pretty sure that in a couple of weeks/months, the first stage of 997 Turbo tuning (up to 540 HP or so) can be considered "reliable" and a real performance-gain. On the other hand, the performance gain in the lower speed range below 125 mph is not very impressive, unless you go for a shorter gear ratio (which of course creates other possible problems with the drivetrain, noise levels and the AWD/PTM.

How was the brakes?

PCCB?

Quote:
    997GT2 said:
    How was the brakes?

PCCB?

RUF apparently uses their own "PCCB" development, so it is difficult to describe. There was some well known squeaking but braking performance was pretty good, unfortunately we didn't have a track near-by to testdrive the rt12 at the limit. Btw: I also saw a carbon RIM, a new product RUF is offering. Very expensive but also very light. I forgot to take a picture, sorry.

A friend and neighbor of mine just took stateside delivery of his 3400K,--supercharged Cayman S by Alois Ruf. (Alois had it from 12 Jun 06 until recently). Approx. 400 PS. Ruf did the suspension, brakes, aero front and rear along with the engine work. Joe is very pleased with the sorting out that Ruf did on this one. Joe was baby-sitting the 'Yellow Bird' for Alois here in California a year or so ago.

Yep, customer service is great. Alois Ruf actually insisted that we watch a video regarding the development/building of the CTR3. It was already very late but he was still there with us, incl. his team. For Germany, this was pretty impressive. We wanted to leave but we couldn't... If aftersales service is as good as that too, I can highly recommend them.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Yep, customer service is great. Alois Ruf actually insisted that we watch a video regarding the development/building of the CTR3. It was already very late but he was still there with us, incl. his team. For Germany, this was pretty impressive. We wanted to leave but we couldn't... If aftersales service is as good as that too, I can highly recommend them.

Sounds good! Glad to see you guys enjoyed yourselves!

" ...this little baby does 0-300 kph in aprox. 24 seconds"

WOW. Is this car legal for the U.S.?

Hmmm. How far is Pfaffenhausen from Stuttgart?

Quote:
    eclou said:

I think about 150km.

Thanks for the report Christian!!!

Quote:
    eclou said:

It's between Munich and Stuttgart and a bit towards the south.

Re: We just drove the RUF rt12 today...

Quote:
    RC said:
    I think that today was one of the highlights of my automobile life

What a perfect write-up and summarizing end statement

The RT12 is freaking fast. This car is not comparable to anything I have driven before. An excellent achievement of Alois Ruf and his team - and a milestone in the sports car history

Re: We just drove the RUF rt12 today...

the real test for th CGT from 0-300 = 26.some thing ..
    i get in ruf rt12 with ruf driver in bahrain circut befor 2 months .. its amazing car .. but it`s not faster than the carrera gt from 70-293km/h after that maybe its faster .. because the 6th gear for the CGT is to long(351km/h cut off) .. i tryed to put the vedio for rt12 when i was in it in bahrain circut.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761721 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434997 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260311 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257401 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80875 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871816 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807168 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM