Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

nberry:

The arrogance of some MT enthusiast is perplexing. They believe that not only are they more mainly by having a MT but they are the best and fastest drivers. In reality, they live in a time warp laughed at by those in the know. All the best performance cars by the best manufacturers (Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini and MB) do not offer MT. Even Porsche refuses to offer MT on its halo cars. Clinking to the past stunts growth and learning. Very sad. surprise

Well Nick, sorry that you have met some arrogant manual drivers.  Can't be helped, all kinds of people out there, the most arrogant drivers that I have met are usually Ferrari drivers.

Manual vs PDK is just a choice.  Life is good to have choices.  I never understand why there were so much heated arguments over a transmission choice.  I never care when someone is eating a burger when I pick Chinese food. 

I definitely prefer manual and is fully aware that it is slowly than PDK.  Does not bother me one bit.  One good thing about tracking a manual car is when someone passed me, I can blame it on my slower transmission.

Nick, try not to label most manual drivers as arrogant, and I will not label most PDK drivers as lazy and incompetent.Smiley 

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Some people decide to learn dead languages like Latin and Greek. Perfecting driving a MT is in the same context. Mostly useless by now but some enjoy the journey.

SciFrog:

Some people decide to learn dead languages like Latin and Greek. Perfecting driving a MT is in the same context. Mostly useless by now but some enjoy the journey.

One of your better Manual put downs SmileySmiley.

SciFrog:

QED

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:
    SciFrog:

QED

E pluribus unum Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Is it confirmed that the gear ratios in pdk are the same in GT3.2 as GT3.1?

Targa Tim:
    nberry:

The arrogance of some MT enthusiast is perplexing. They believe that not only are they more mainly by having a MT but they are the best and fastest drivers. In reality, they live in a time warp laughed at by those in the know. All the best performance cars by the best manufacturers (Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini and MB) do not offer MT. Even Porsche refuses to offer MT on its halo cars. Clinking to the past stunts growth and learning. Very sad. surprise

Well Nick, sorry that you have met some arrogant manual drivers.  Can't be helped, all kinds of people out there, the most arrogant drivers that I have met are usually Ferrari drivers.

Manual vs PDK is just a choice.  Life is good to have choices.  I never understand why there were so much heated arguments over a transmission choice.  I never care when someone is eating a burger when I pick Chinese food. 

I definitely prefer manual and is fully aware that it is slowly than PDK.  Does not bother me one bit.  One good thing about tracking a manual car is when someone passed me, I can blame it on my slower transmission.

Nick, try not to label most manual drivers as arrogant, and I will not label most PDK drivers as lazy and incompetent.Smiley 

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Tim, I wrote "some" not many. Smiley I am surprised you haven't encountered the 'manly' MT drivers. They look down on those of us that embrace technology. We have a prime example who often posts on this board.Smiley

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Yes, I don’t get the endless transmission type discussion either. Some people prefer manual, other people PDK. I am now back in a car with PDK after having owned one with manual. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

By the the way, if you embrace technology Nick, then you should have got yourself a turbo charged car and not an old normally aspirated burner indecision 

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

watt:

Is it confirmed that the gear ratios in pdk are the same in GT3.2 as GT3.1?

Yes

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Speed in gears manual vs PDK would be of interest.

The clutch and brake combined when trail braking into a corner give you that perfectly controlled additional rear brake bias as you rotate the 911 into a turn.  You can do this all day long  as you drive on ordinary streets and getting it just right is a wonderful thing.There is not just perfect shifts and launch control by left foot to enjoy. But it is a lifetime of fun because each time needs attention and rewards.  When I look at my odometer I know I put all those miles on by hand and foot.  Each mile is a gold star representing an awesome choice in vehicle.  

It is interesting how this debate generally orginates from PDK drivers. They insult manual 'selectors' in the most arrogant ways possible. The manual owners on the other hand simply express their joys of getting just right and thank god there is a choice. It is really not a debate. It is PDK owners with cognitive dissonance trying to convince themselves. I get it. That is why I am happy there is a choice. Using turn signals is not really a choice. (So says someone who posts frequently, buddy) 

my manual Turbo and I are at the lake for a couple of days. Almost 94k miles. Time for some new tires. Ozark roads are like roller coasters  

Cheers rs and drive safe. 

Manual is perfect except in traffic. 

But also interesting that some idiot invented the 3 pedal cars when humans only have 2 legs. In most manual cars, there are also 5 control surfaces, the 3 pedals plus the steering wheel and the handbrake. Weird that that said idiot also didn't realize humans also only have 4 limps, 2 hands and 2 legs. Oops. But the counter argument is that not all 5 controls needed to be used at the same time, at most 4, so that's his saving grace.

Modern technologies like hill hold and auto-rev match neutralized the requirement do the foot dance when starting from a hill or downshifting, saving many drivers from learning such a skill.

Manuals are a lot of fun except when in traffic. If only someone invent a auto-clutching so the left foot doesn't need to do excessive muscle training when driving........

Oh wait, they have already, it's called the PDK.

Nevermind.

--

Piano has lots of keys. We have ten fingers. 

Know what is the speed in gears by comparison. Whoopsy knows gearing at a track is vital. 

Leawood911:

Know what is the speed in gears by comparison. Whoopsy knows gearing at a track is vital. 

But one don't do 2 keys at once with a single finger Smiley

--

Leawood911:

Speed in gears manual vs PDK would be of interest.

They’re very similar through 4th (which is close to 150 mph) and then PDK has a gearing advantage thereafter.

--

For those that  like challenge and want to keep your left leg busy with PDK, just learn how to brake with the left foot . 

Mastering that skill is pretty rewarding and enjoyable ( and much more difficult then changing gear with a clutch ) , makes you completely forget about any manual and makes you super manly too   Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    M3ike:

Long story cut short, two weeks ago I got the confirmation of receiving a GT3 with TP and two days ago Porsche Exclusive invited me to Stuttgart in November to custom spec my car. To say I'm over the moon is an understatement. At the same time I will be sad to see my Aubergine go as it is a fantastic car. At the end each to his own and you cannot blame Porsche for cashing in on that.

Mike

That would be a first ....... until now all TP wanting PTS have been turned down. Congratulations .Smiley

I have the same sensations and ideas as you on RS PDK   , except that I will not move to a proper track car .

I also often wonder if a GT3 TP would be my '' dream '' 911 for the roads . I love manual in my 964 as I can rev the car to red line very often . In a GT3 on open roads that would be difficult as you would be far far over the speed limits . And the please coming from that engine is mostly after 5'500 rpm .  Not always convinced that car would end up being the dream 911 for open roads as one can not exploit the engine . Smiley

Exactly, this is why’s the GT4 is in the sweet spot. It can be driven at 80% on the road and provide a lot of satisfaction.

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

But one don't do 2 keys at once with a single finger Smiley

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=54434.0

Gnil:

For those that  like challenge and want to keep your left leg busy with PDK, just learn how to brake with the left foot . 

Mastering that skill is pretty rewarding and enjoyable ( and much more difficult then changing gear with a clutch ) , makes you completely forget about any manual and makes you super manly too   Smiley

--

Great advice. Those of us who race go karts can appreciate what you are saying. 

Gnil:

--

+1 I have been left foot braking for years. I rarely use my right foot to brake. kiss

Bluelines, you forget I owned a 2017 Targa and a 991 Turbo cab? 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Sun and Sky both ordered PDK, even though The new GT3 for the first time ever has tight gearing instead of too tall autobahn👍

After the GT4 experience tied with every previous GT3 (besides 2015 where Sun had PDK) being too tall, as fun as shifting can be - when Porsche puts the wrong gear set it's just aggravating.

Whoopsy is right about traffic. But even though both Sky and Sun have designed their lives, in Malibu and NZ respectively to have no traffic, they still went PDK

Congrats to all who ordered manual, it's gonna be fun.  Congrats to all who ordered PDK, it will be fun!

This car looks like a keeper.

Nothing feels more fun and alive than in a 2wd manual car with no traction and stability indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbQNu2lXJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auXfAHHNSFo

Good stuff👍

--

BiTurbo:

Nothing feels more fun and alive than in a 2wd manual car with no traction and stability indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbQNu2lXJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auXfAHHNSFo

Very cool. Thanks Smiley

I have PDK in both my Macan Turbo and in my 2016 GTS 4
    I love it on my Macan but I don't like it on my GTS. The problem is not just the PDK, Porsche has perfected the ride on the 911 so much that it now feels like a Mercedes C Class.

So it is the combination of eletrical steering, PDK and how smooth the GTS is, and how much horsepower you are getting, but the emotion is lacking and you only begin to have fun at about 20 miles above the speed limit.

I think the GT3.2 will be more involving, especially with a manual, but I may be disappointed, in which case my only alternative will be to go back to the 997.

PDK is an incredible transmission, in spirited drive it downshifts like crazy and you're never upset that it is not in the right gear.

But when you are looking for greater involvement, the manual is one of the elements, that will help you feel more connected to the car.

I don't track my cars. Have gone to a couple of Porsche DE and thoroughly enjoyed it. But tracking is not what I'm looking for.

I've been driving a manual since I was 17 in a Volkswagen Beetle in Brazil (that's all that it was available) and don't feel more os less manly when driving a manual. But there is no question that for me the manual gives me more involvement with the car.

--

2016 Carrera 4 GTS Jet Black,

2016 Macan Turbo Agata Grey,

2012 Infiniti G370 Grey,

2014 Mercedes E350 Steel Gray

pcosta:

I have PDK in both my Macan Turbo and in my 2016 GTS 4
    I love it on my Macan but I don't like it on my GTS. The problem is not just the PDK, Porsche has perfected the ride on the 911 so much that it now feels like a Mercedes C Class.

So it is the combination of eletrical steering, PDK and how smooth the GTS is, and how much horsepower you are getting, but the emotion is lacking and you only begin to have fun at about 20 miles above the speed limit.

I think the GT3.2 will be more involving, especially with a manual, but I may be disappointed, in which case my only alternative will be to go back to the 997.

PDK is an incredible transmission, in spirited drive it downshifts like crazy and you're never upset that it is not in the right gear.

But when you are looking for greater involvement, the manual is one of the elements, that will help you feel more connected to the car.

I don't track my cars. Have gone to a couple of Porsche DE and thoroughly enjoyed it. But tracking is not what I'm looking for.

I've been driving a manual since I was 17 in a Volkswagen Beetle in Brazil (that's all that it was available) and don't feel more os less manly when driving a manual. But there is no question that for me the manual gives me more involvement with the car.

--

2016 Carrera 4 GTS Jet Black,

2016 Macan Turbo Agata Grey,

2012 Infiniti G370 Grey,

2014 Mercedes E350 Steel Gray

Smiley My daily driver is a 2017 Cayenne and like you have been driving a manual transmission since I was  in my teens. VW Beetle through college. I purchased a 2016 Carrera GTS with MT and just enjoy spirited drives with it. If I were to purchase a track car definitely would do a PDK. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

SciFrog:

Thanks god only Latin and it was never my decision to learn it. I just had to (school). Was pretty good too (don't have a clue how, I hated it) but I never tried to talk in a dead language like my teachers and even some of my friends did. Only fun thing I remember from my Latin learning times were the Asterix & Obelix comics in Latin. Smiley Oh and my amazing Latin teacher who threw with chalk after me. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I hated Latin in school, then later in life proved very useful and interesting for knowing the latin or greek etiology of words related to scientific knowledge, especially for medical terms. 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

I hated Latin in school, then later in life proved very useful and interesting for knowing the latin or greek etiology of words related to scientific knowledge, especially for medical terms. 

Well...I hated everything in school (well, maybe not English or history) but some things really helped in life...and Google. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Sounds like RC and I learned the same Latin lessons. Not so much in Gymnasium but from those darn Romans in the comix. Good one. My first manual was the 914 I bought when I was 15 for $3000. The dogleg days. 

Leawood911:

Sounds like RC and I learned the same Latin lessons. Not so much in Gymnasium but from those darn Romans in the comix. Good one. My first manual was the 914 I bought when I was 15 for $3000. The dogleg days. 

No, I learned a lot of Latin in school but the only positive thing I remember about Latin was when we read those Asterix & Obelix comics in Latin. Smiley Our Latin teacher was mean, even vicious but believe it or not, he meant well and was a good person. He gave me free private tutoring...and I couldn't say no... My parents thought he is some sort of pervert (what kind of teacher gives private tutoring for free?) but he wasn't. He just loved Latin (his apartment was full of books, everywhere, amazing) and he loved teaching. I was so scared of him but in retrospect, I think he was great as a teacher.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234800 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857605 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773420 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM