Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2017 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

So a Cayman with 4 cylinder engine is a better driver's car than a Turbo S... And a Camaro is a better car than a Mclaren... Who TF are these journalists ?

And why have they left the GT3 out for instance ? 

lukestern:
    Carlos from Spain:
    JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:

With a 3 mile runway, they should have done some longer runs too...

Yeah but that would make the Tesla looks bad.......................

That or a corner.

Smiley

You guys are really funny with your Tesla hate. It must really hurt your feelings a lot! If it didn't why bother repeating this over and over and over and over again? Smiley
    Can't wait for the next similar post. Maybe over in the R8 thread? Smiley

That's not hate, just simply stating the truth and obvious.

Tesla is quite widely acknowledged by everyone that it is quick from 0 to about 1/4 mile, but it can't do that over and over on a single charge repeatedly like gas powered cars, nor can it sustain that swiftness over a longer distance than 1/4 mile, nor can it corner well.

It was designed to be super quick from 0- 1/4 mile on purpose as that's what Americans judged performance, straight line acceleration from rest to 1/4 mile. Elon is very successful is grasping that fact for North Americans. The general public don't ask how much Gs the car can pull, they just ask what's the 0-60 times and 1/4 miles and be done with it.

By the same token, can you not acknowledged the short comings of the Tesla? Or you are too blinded by the Tesla religion?

I can certainly acknowledge the niche market Tesla goes for, and certainly can see the usefulness of even it's autopilot function, it would be perfect for Swiss highways. 

Perhaps open your eyes a little bit to see the whole picture?

--

amazon:

So a Cayman with 4 cylinder engine is a better driver's car than a Turbo S... And a Camaro is a better car than a Mclaren... Who TF are these journalists ?

The new GT3 has not arrived in the US yet...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Next year might be interesting. New cars comming out.

.2 GT3 / RS / Touring Package, Performante, Corvette ZR1, GT2 RS, AMG GT R Black Series, McLaren 720S...

Perharps 488 "Speciale" and 718 GT4

Grant:
    amazon:

Ok, my bad. Thanks for the info. I really thought the GT3 was available in the US.

Still, I don't understand how Motor trend can come up with such results. 

amazon:

Ok, my bad. Thanks for the info. I really thought the GT3 was available in the US.

Yeah, it's a shame.  I would've liked to have seen the results...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

amazon:
    Grant:
    amazon:

The event was a waste of gas and electricity. BTW, the .2GT3 would not have a chance in this race. It's not a dragster.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:
    amazon:
    Grant:
    amazon:

The event was a waste of gas and electricity. BTW, the .2GT3 would not have a chance in this race. It's not a dragster.

A big part of the test was on track at Laguna Seca (driven by Randy Pobst), as well and road driving.  And I agree that it's no dragster, but 11.19s @ 128 mph in the Quarter Mile is nothing to be ashamed of with an NA 6-cylinder Smiley

http://fastestlaps.com/tests/be94vmlg9uvb

--

Whoopsy:
     it would be perfect for Swiss highways. 

--

Exactly Smiley That's why we have so many around . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Thing is the Tesla is perfect except for the exact audience of this forum. So basically it is perfect for 99% of the peole in the US and everywhere in the world except for Germany. There are several better cars or SUVs on the market, but there are ZERO cars that come even close to Tesla for an EV.

PS: these categories of vehicles are people mover. When was the last time you cornered hard with a car full of people?

Can’t wait to see the drag race next year with the 720s, GT3, GT2RS and probably the tesla p120d. Ok let’s make it fair and use the Model X p120d this time........ indecision

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    Carlos from Spain:
    JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:

That or a corner.

Smiley

You guys are really funny with your Tesla hate. It must really hurt your feelings a lot! If it didn't why bother repeating this over and over and over and over again? Smiley

Tesla is quite widely acknowledged by everyone that it is quick from 0 to about 1/4 mile, but it can't do that over and over on a single charge repeatedly like gas powered cars, nor can it sustain that swiftness over a longer distance than 1/4 mile, nor can it corner well.

It was designed to be super quick from 0- 1/4 mile on purpose as that's what Americans judged performance, straight line acceleration from rest to 1/4 mile. Elon is very successful is grasping that fact for North Americans. The general public don't ask how much Gs the car can pull, they just ask what's the 0-60 times and 1/4 miles and be done with it.

By the same token, can you not acknowledged the short comings of the Tesla? Or you are too blinded by the Tesla religion?

I can certainly acknowledge the niche market Tesla goes for, and certainly can see the usefulness of even it's autopilot function, it would be perfect for Swiss highways. 

Niche market? Blinded by religion? I actually think that my eyes are wide open in this aspect because I judge the Tesla based on the purpose of the car, not on things that it's not ment to manage. 99% of the buyers purchase a Tesla because of the tech, smooth drivetrain, practicality and that it fit their driving pattern - not for taking corners at high G's or lap it on the track. No one expects it to perform under those circumstances and that's fine.

I've written many times that the Tesla is an excellent daily driver, but you guys still continue to compare it with 2 door supercars and the Teslas (obvious) shortcomings in this comparison. The Tesla happen to beat them in a stand still drag race, but of course not in corners. The obvious reason why P100D got so much beating is because it wake up emotions among car enthusiasts because it really is annoying that a 5 door sedan is quicker off the line and that is hard to accept - reactions will be angry comments about the short comings, just like we see in here and in many other petrol head forums. 

Do you think I should start to respond to a thread where a car get's a sub 7:20 NBR time with the shortcomings like it's a rubbish car because there is no boot space and you can't have passengers onboard and the high pitch droning noise and stiff chassis makes it quite uncomfortable for a 2000km roadtrip? Of course I will not, because that's not the purpose of the car, just in a similar fashion with Teslas. S/X are not track cars, but they stil handle very good for most daily driving needs. Just take a listen to Chris Harris comments in his video, he was quite surprised how good the car did manage on open roads.

My post was more a reaction to this beating about the cornering speed and that Tesla is useless on the track. My question to you is why you continue to beat the car on those aspects when it is not what the car is all about?

lukestern:

Niche market? Blinded by religion? I actually think that my eyes are wide open in this aspect because I judge the Tesla based on the purpose of the car, not on things that it's not ment to manage. 99% of the buyers purchase a Tesla because of the tech, smooth drivetrain, practicality and that it fit their driving pattern - not for taking corners at high G's or lap it on the track. No one expects it to perform under those circumstances and that's fine.

I've written many times that the Tesla is an excellent daily driver, but you guys still continue to compare it with 2 door supercars and the Teslas (obvious) shortcomings in this comparison. The Tesla happen to beat them in a stand still drag race, but of course not in corners. The obvious reason why P100D got so much beating is because it wake up emotions among car enthusiasts because it really is annoying that a 5 door sedan is quicker off the line and that is hard to accept - reactions will be angry comments about the short comings, just like we see in here and in many other petrol head forums.

Do you think I should start to respond to a thread where a car get's a sub 7:20 NBR time with the shortcomings like it's a rubbish car because there is no boot space and you can't have passengers onboard and the high pitch droning noise and stiff chassis makes it quite uncomfortable for a 2000km roadtrip? Of course I will not, because that's not the purpose of the car, just in a similar fashion with Teslas. S/X are not track cars, but they stil handle very good for most daily driving needs. Just take a listen to Chris Harris comments in his video, he was quite surprised how good the car did manage on open roads.

My post was more a reaction to this beating about the cornering speed and that Tesla is useless on the track. My question to you is why you continue to beat the car on those aspects when it is not what the car is all about?

Smiley I have driven the 100D X for two days with two passengers on some tight small roads in northern Italy and South of Switzerland . The car handles exactly as it should for such a car . It is no Cayenne GTS , but it is as good as a Q7 . Nobody expects more from this car . It suits it's purpose and 99% of it's buyers and that is the whole point about it .

No one argues that it can't do laps after laps, of drive 200km/h for hours , or do 0 to 100 for 10 x .  If course it can't . That is not the point .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Have you tried posting on www.teslafan.cz ? You might have audience there.....cool

The farmer:

Have you tried posting on www.teslafan.cz ? You might have audience there.....cool

or in www.electrical-household-appliances.comSmiley 1497879697817bhauen.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Never good to be in denial. 

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Tesla continuing to hurt feelings. I like it.

lukestern:

Who is angry? 

Tesla doesn't make cars that evoke the emotions that most of us love about cars, that is all there is to it. Of course it's faster, as the torque of electric motors is insane. It could go faster but you would start breaking other components and exceed the limits of the tires. But that's what Tesla is "about". It will never have the sound of a V12, and it will never offer a transmission that engages the driver for example. There is nothing emotional about it. How many times can you engage ludicrous mode before you get bored? Tesla doesn't make "drivers cars", and for that reason I'm not overly interested in them. I can appreciate the tech though, and I think it's great that they are being disruptive in the auto industry as the future is certainly heading in that direction, and Tesla is causing the big manufacturers to play catchup. EVs are practical and clean, and boring. It would be a great car for transportation in an urban area, and for getting to use the carpool lane, but it's too digital for me, and there are ICE cars that fall into that category as well.

Watch this and tell me what the most interesting thing about this video is:

JoeRockhead:
    lukestern:

Who is angry? 

Tesla doesn't make cars that evoke the emotions that most of us love about cars, that is all there is to it. Of course it's faster, as the torque of electric motors is insane. It could go faster but you would start breaking other components and exceed the limits of the tires. But that's what Tesla is "about". It will never have the sound of a V12, and it will never offer a transmission that engages the driver for example. There is nothing emotional about it. How many times can you engage ludicrous mode before you get bored? Tesla doesn't make "drivers cars", and for that reason I'm not overly interested in them. I can appreciate the tech though, and I think it's great that they are being disruptive in the auto industry as the future is certainly heading in that direction, and Tesla is causing the big manufacturers to play catchup. EVs are practical and clean, and boring. It would be a great car for transportation in an urban area, and for getting to use the carpool lane, but it's too digital for me, and there are ICE cars that fall into that category as well.

LOL. Well, posting a video of a Gallardo with a giant spoiler driving 17 mph around the traffic clusterfuck that is Monaco isn't exactly a good example...

To be fair, I get bored driving exotics all the time and exotics have never been more boring than they are today. How many times can you rev a car up to redline in 2nd gear and slam on the brakes to get back under the speed limit before it gets boring? That's pretty much exactly what happens in that video. The 560 and Aventador are literally revving it for 20 meters of driving.

In the 488 review of this thread, he said he didn't even know if he was the one making the car do what it did. No more clutch operation, ECU does all the dynamics for you, limits are way beyond what you could ever come close to on the road. I believe my grandma could drive a 488 nearly as quick as RC on a normal road by just pointing the tires where she wants to go.

The Tesla doesn't perform simply because they didn't design it to. They certain could make a new roadster with vastly better dynamics. It has nothing to do with the technology.

I don't think anyone said a Tesla is an amazing track or handling car. It seems to be quite the opposite, and that fans of traditional super cars bring up that a Tesla "can't turn" to save its life. I dunno about that because I drove it and it seems to turn quite well and all the roads I encountered.

Except a very few, sedans and SUV are as boring as the Tesla

noone1:
    JoeRockhead:
    lukestern:

Who is angry? 

LOL. Well, posting a video of a Gallardo with a giant spoiler driving 17 mph around the traffic clusterfuck that is Monaco isn't exactly a good example...

To be fair, I get bored driving exotics all the time and exotics have never been more boring than they are today. How many times can you rev a car up to redline in 2nd gear and slam on the brakes to get back under the speed limit before it gets boring? That's pretty much exactly what happens in that video. The 560 and Aventador are literally revving it for 20 meters of driving.

In the 488 review of this thread, he said he didn't even know if he was the one making the car do what it did. No more clutch operation, ECU does all the dynamics for you, limits are way beyond what you could ever come close to on the road. I believe my grandma could drive a 488 nearly as quick as RC on a normal road by just pointing the tires where she wants to go.

The Tesla doesn't perform simply because they didn't design it to. They certain could make a new roadster with vastly better dynamics. It has nothing to do with the technology.

I don't think anyone said a Tesla is an amazing track or handling car. It seems to be quite the opposite, and that fans of traditional super cars bring up that a Tesla "can't turn" to save its life. I dunno about that because I drove it and it seems to turn quite well and all the roads I encountered.

For me, a 360 CS would be more fun to drive than a 488, even though the 488 is miles better in terms of the numbers it puts up. It's all about what moves you, figuratively speaking. I'd also rather drive a 993 TT than say a 991 GTS, even though the GTS does everything better. It's just not the same. I guess this is why people are lining up to pay 400K+ for a Singer. That would be the ultimate car for what I'm looking for.

Tesla at the end of the day is just a people mover, a minivan, a sedan like Chevy Imala or something, just to get people from point A to point B. It's is not an automobile for people to drive from point A back to point A via a convoluted route to have fun.

NO ONE get excited about those things, ever. To get people excited, Elon designed the car to be supremely fast in a straight line, up to a certain point, where North American people thinks it's fun. He did the impossible, he made a people mover 'fun'. That's an accomplishment by itself. 

People on this forum don't just get from point A to point B, they would go point A to point Z and then drive back up the alphabets before arriving at point B, members here just loved to drive, especially with a car that evoke emotions, satisfaction and speed actually doesn't matter that much.

To put things in perspective, driving a Tesla is like a horse having sex, he basically just stick it in from the back and shoot, done. he did climaxed but that's about it. It's just a job to have offsprings. 

Driving other sports cars are like human having sex, it's just not for making babiesn only, it can also be for recreational, fun times. There are hundreds of positions to try, not jus from behind, and humans have invented all sorts of ways to have sex, some like mixing in bondage, some like wearing leather, latex, some like lingerie, others do it butt naked. 

--

I guess we can all tell what was on whoopsy’s mind just now......frown

--

Whoopsy:

Tesla at the end of the day is just a people mover, a minivan, a sedan like Chevy Imala or something, just to get people from point A to point B. It's is not an automobile for people to drive from point A back to point A via a convoluted route to have fun.

NO ONE get excited about those things, ever. To get people excited, Elon designed the car to be supremely fast in a straight line, up to a certain point, where North American people thinks it's fun. He did the impossible, he made a people mover 'fun'. That's an accomplishment by itself. 

People on this forum don't just get from point A to point B, they would go point A to point Z and then drive back up the alphabets before arriving at point B, members here just loved to drive, especially with a car that evoke emotions, satisfaction and speed actually doesn't matter that much.

To put things in perspective, driving a Tesla is like a horse having sex, he basically just stick it in from the back and shoot, done. he did climaxed but that's about it. It's just a job to have offsprings. 

Driving other sports cars are like human having sex, it's just not for making babiesn only, it can also be for recreational, fun times. There are hundreds of positions to try, not jus from behind, and humans have invented all sorts of ways to have sex, some like mixing in bondage, some like wearing leather, latex, some like lingerie, others do it butt naked. 

Hell Nick, don't you dear show up at Vallelunga in a latex suite....SmileySmileySmiley

Dunno what Whoopsy is going on about. What does a car have to do with the route you take? You can only drive one car at any given time. You can't just pick and choose what car to drive at any given time. You leave home in what you leave home in and what roads you take depends on nothing more than where you're going, what you want to see, and how quickly you want to get there.

It's like saying no one would drive a 918 at 80 mph on a highway for 4 hours. Actually, a 918 fits perfectly on a boring highway drive when you're just trying to get from A to B in X amount of time, just like a Tesla fits with curvy mountains roads when you're just trying to enjoy the mountains as you go from A to B.

It's not exactly a revelation that a sports car is more enjoyable on backroads and a cushy sedan on Autopilot on a highway for 400 miles. You'll most likely encounter both quite regularly anyway.

lukestern:
    Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    Carlos from Spain:
    JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:

That or a corner.

Smiley

Niche market? Blinded by religion? I actually think that my eyes are wide open in this aspect because I judge the Tesla based on the purpose of the car, not on things that it's not ment to manage. 99% of the buyers purchase a Tesla because of the tech, smooth drivetrain, practicality and that it fit their driving pattern - not for taking corners at high G's or lap it on the track. No one expects it to perform under those circumstances and that's fine.

Because the Tesla fan boys can't stop posting meaningless drag races up to 100 mph to show the alleged superiority, which is just downright nonsense. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Actually up to 125 mph.

noone1:

Dunno what Whoopsy is going on about. What does a car have to do with the route you take? You can only drive one car at any given time. You can't just pick and choose what car to drive at any given time. You leave home in what you leave home in and what roads you take depends on nothing more than where you're going, what you want to see, and how quickly you want to get there.

It's like saying no one would drive a 918 at 80 mph on a highway for 4 hours. Actually, a 918 fits perfectly on a boring highway drive when you're just trying to get from A to B in X amount of time, just like a Tesla fits with curvy mountains roads when you're just trying to enjoy the mountains as you go from A to B.

It's not exactly a revelation that a sports car is more enjoyable on backroads and a cushy sedan on Autopilot on a highway for 400 miles. You'll most likely encounter both quite regularly anyway.

Every morning you might take the direct route through highway to the office in a Tesla and be done with it.

Someone else taking a GT3 might skip the highway and go for back road canyon carving on the way to the office. 

No one in a Tesla would do that.

Simple as that.

--

Wow! Where do you guys live? My drive to the office, whether I take the back roads or the highway, involves traffic moving at 30 mph, and stretches of stop and go. 

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

Every morning you might take the direct route through highway to the office in a Tesla and be done with it.

Someone else taking a GT3 might skip the highway and go for back road canyon carving on the way to the office. 

No one in a Tesla would do that.

Simple as that.

Ha. Are you kidding me? The road you take depends on nothing more than the time they want to spend. Nice roads are nice roads, regardless of the car. It's like saying no one takes nice, windy roads because they can't afford a Ferrari. When I rent a car in Europe, it doesn't matter if it's an Rav4, a Megane, or a 911, I'm taking the nice roads and they are nice regardless.

The idea that someone won't take the nice detour because they don't have a Ferrari is absurd. I've been taking nice detours since I was 16. All modern cars are more than capable of being fun on any normal road.

The idea that you can't have fun in a Tesla on a back road is bullshit.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM