Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What Next?

I am lost - I don't know what car to buy next. I only want to own one car. I hate having two or three (at least here in Tokyo) the parking is so expensive I could buy an apartment by the beach in Australia for what I pay for parking.

I am really needing a change, the last non P car I owned was over 10 years ago and I was only 23 years old then.

So your suggestions please! And before you all ask, I will use the car EVERYDAY, I couldn't care less about depreciation because I want to enjoy it. I don't go shopping in my cars, I don't care about picking people up or dropping them off, I don't need to worry about safety issues - I look scary

What do I buy next

Re: What Next?

Sorry guys! I am not very good at posting new topics! If someone delete this post please do so!

Porky, you missed to list a 997 successor as option!

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

Get another Porsche...

tt cab

Lambo G.

It's the most strikingly beautiful car on the road today. I say that with zero prejudice for Lambos.

Looks like two threads are going about the same thing. Here's my response from the other thread:

I took a Gallardo for a test drive on Saturday. I was quite disappointed. I won't get into all of the details, but the brakes are extremely sensitive. It doesn't make sense for it to be a daily driver kind of car. To me the Lambo is weekend/day off kind of vehicle. Did you test drive all of these in your poll yet? BTW, the Aston makes the most sense to me for your purpose of the three.

i personally will go for the ferrari.. lambos nowadays are just a nono with too many VW tech IMO. but then i do like the LP640 in black. can't beat that! i call it the batmobile haha! so i guess for that budget, get the F430. but one thing that's good about the lambo is that they all come in AWD.

Your choice is too limited, but since it seems money is not much of an object I will pick outside the list. For an everyday car I can not think of anything better than an Aston Martin Vanquish S.

Best looking, sounding current production car that has the space and luxury necessary for daily use. (If the 928 was still in production i would choose it for you)

Since money seems to be no object, how about a bugatti veyron, dont have to worry about people having a more expensive car.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

I agree 100%. My 997 is very nice but simply not in the same league as a Gallardo Spyder.

This is just my opinion. Don't want to cause someone to have a heart attack.

DB9. or wait for a better P.

i used to think astonmartins were only weekend cars. until this guy i know proved me wrong. his vanquish s is at 80,000km now! and thats in Dubai! .now im stuck between 997turbo/db9/amv8 my self.

i feel your pain, life is full of hard choices. Having to pick one car is hard! ( or even narrowing down women to one) good luck!

just so you know, i dint vote. Couldn't decide

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    DB9. or wait for a better P.

i used to think astonmartins were only weekend cars. until this guy i know proved me wrong. his vanquish s is at 80,000km now! and thats in Dubai! .now im stuck between 997turbo/db9/amv8 my self.

only if vanquish kills the budget

Guys, thanks for the responses and advice. Firstly, sorry about doubling up the thread! Anways, I have driven the Gallardo and AMV8 extensively, in fact I have done a lots and lots of driving them in them both. The 430 is still too rare for dealers to have as demonstrators in Japan and I daren't ask a friend if I can push his car to the limits. I have driven at least 8 360's - all variations and liked them. I have only heard good things about the 430 so far...

Aston Martin DB9 was mentioned by a few gentlemen, I did have one for a day and to be honest was not that impressed, its a big car and unlike a Ferrari 575 / 550 it feels like a big car, the brakes were not impressive and the turn in was not definite enough for my liking. The steering lacked the feedback and directness of a 911 OR the AMV8.

Now the AMV8 is a lot nicer car if you are a Porsche fan than the DB9. True it could be said that the cars are aimed at different people and are more suited for different purposes but that is not the point if you are going to drive it everyday for me. I can get the point - trust me, but I prefer the looks and the feel of the AMV8 more.

The only thing the AMV8 lacked was a bit of kick, doesn't feel as fast as the 997 and it probably isn't. But it is a great car to drive. The 2007 cars are very different to the 2005 cars. I had the chance to drive a 2005 when it first came out. I wanted to check it out so much, I left my car at home, took a cab to the dealer and asked if I can drive to work. I did this during peak traffic in Tokyo - silly mistake, the clutch was very heavy and the gearshift was impossible! You could probably cope on a country road or motorway but 1st / 2nd gear driving in Tokyo was terrible, so much so, I told the salesman that I was going to get a cab to work for the rest of the journey, he almost started crying poor guy! But I just couldn't handle it. The wife and I had a 2007 Vertigo Blue AMV8 the other weekend, great car, drove lovely - much more useable. Can't really think of any downsides - maybe too many options : ) Its hard to spec!!

The Vanquish is lovely but it seems a little overweight to me, I know a couple of owners and although they love their cars said I SHOULDN'T buy one. Way too many annoying issues for them. One of them has 9 cars and uses a Gallardo as his daily driver!

For your information, I also had a Gransport for an extended test drive, it was OK. When I went out with the salesman and had a good chat he told me honestly that the Maserati's are great to go shopping, taking the GF/wife out for dinner and the odd bit of spirited driving, if I drove like I did that day ( nothing unusal for a P car driver) he thought the car wouldn't last! Honest hey! He went on to mention to his detriment that the Maserati warranty is 4 years but Maserati were not too good in what they covered or their response to issues.

The Lamborghini Gallardo was something I didn't consider seriously until I got one for a day. Negatives, the steering is very heavy at slow speed. The brakes demand you to be a bit more assertive than a P car and the stowage space is very limited if you wanted a few days away but still doable.
    Nothing else negative. Great car, great fun puts a smile on my face everytime I see one and especially when I hear one! The REALLY interesting thing is my very petite Japanese wife LOVES the Lambo. She drove all over the place in it and it was hard to get her out! Everywhere we got stuck in traffic she caused a stir. I have never seen a 25 year old girl driving around in a Lambo myself so I guess it was the same for everyone else, people were pointing and staring which did put her off a bit. She loves the look, the fact that its not a Ferrari and she reminded me of what 'ol blue eyes said to a journalist who asked why he bought a Lamborghini Miura instead of a Ferrari

A Ferrari is what you buy when you WANT to be somebody, a Lamborghini is what you buy when you ARE somebody"

Unquote

Thats a cool line from Frank. I'm a nobody so the Ferrari might be the better choice : )

So getting to the Ferrari, I have driven loads of Ferrari's (1994 onwards only) and never had a bad experience. To me the whole Enzo Ferrari story is something special. He sold the family house to buy a car! Love it! And of course the rest is history and not everyone should take out a huge loan to buy a car! I have always wanted one and promised myself one day IF I have the means I will get one, I will never sell it though, it will be a keeper and go to my son and his son hopefully!

I have always wanted an Aston too - inspired by Bond of course when i was a kid - even my number ends with 007 - how tragic

Another 911 is an option I guess but I only ever like the lines of the standard car, don't like spoilers or huge holes in the body on a Porsche. So if I was to get another 911 I will just wait until the 998 comes out. The 997 is perfect as it is.

A friend of mine is pushing me to get a Carrera GT but the fact that a replacement clutch could cost USD 20,000 and their is no warranty just annoys me. I would be very upset if I had a major issue in a car like that.

The Veyron - I will have to win the lottery to get that! Not sure if I would though, I would probably get the Carrera GT and buy a couple of clutches while they still made them!!!

My dad could buy my 997 off me. I told him he can have it for GBP 40,000. He might just do that and at least its in the family so to speak.....Then I guess I could not feel so bad for selling me motor.

Incidentally, I drove the Jaguar XKR the other day too. Not a bad motor. Very nice to drive but definitely more of a cruiser if you ask me. Sounds and looks great!

Keeping your experiences and opinions coming! Very keen to hear them.

Sorry for the very long post though! Gonna be late for work now

Really how can you go wrong with any of them. They are all great cars and I'm sure all could make you quite happy.

430 no doubt..gallardo is nice but 430 much more alive

Had a Modena 360. Considered a 430. Moved back to Porsche instead with my second GT3.

Great fooking car!

Not the sex appeal of the Ferrari but the depth of the chassis and sound of the motor. . . otherworldly.

But, the GT3 is not nearly as drivable as a Lambo or a 430.

F430 is a lot better than the gallardo. the lambo is nose heavy and steering lacks the feel/feedback of the F430. lambos interior lacks character. gt3 is not as nice for a street car.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Lambo G.

It's the most strikingly beautiful car on the road today. I say that with zero prejudice for Lambos.

Agreed. The epitome of Italian styling!

David

Quote:
    frayed said:
    Had a Modena 360. Considered a 430. Moved back to Porsche instead with my second GT3.

Great fooking car!

Not the sex appeal of the Ferrari but the depth of the chassis and sound of the motor. . . otherworldly.

But, the GT3 is not nearly as drivable as a Lambo or a 430.

The GT3 is very special as well! I saw one the other day in white, it looked awesome! Even the Mrs agreed it looked very sexy - she was not too keen on the 996 GT3.

How was the 360 in terms reliablity? Did you cover much mileage? Any major issues?

Hmm , aston yummy.

can you pass on this?

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    Hmm , aston yummy.

can you pass on this?

Beautiful car!

One of the best designs currently available, IMO even better than the stunning DB9.

SL 55 or the M6 could also be in the running in that price category especially for daily driver duty.

The F430, at least according to published reports and racing results, is a superb car. If you get one, get the "paddle shifter" transmission option as it will make going easier for you on Japanese roads.

Jim

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    The F430, at least according to published reports and racing results, is a superb car. If you get one, get the "paddle shifter" transmission option as it will make going easier for you on Japanese roads.

Jim

I know the paddle shift is great for the track and I guess even in traffic but not having a manual just doesn't seem right.

PS. When I say manual I'm talking about a clutch on the floor for my left foot and a shifter in the center console for my right hand.

Porky, this is a very interesting thread as I am going through exactly the same exercise downunder right now! Would you also consider the R8? I love the looks of the AMV8 but it didn't drive as nice as the 997. I am waiting to drive the sportshift and maybe that will change my mind. The 07 Gallardo is nice, but I prefer not to spend so much. Forget F430, it's too long a wait. R8 I have a deposit on and waiting to drive one. GT3 is great, but then it is too similar to our current car in looks and interior. Decision decision!!! Maybe I should just get the new M3...

An F430 is the obvious choice. The AMV8 is completely and utterly underwhelming. And I so wanted to like the car b/c it is stunning in person. . . but it can't hold a candle to a 997S. My test drives were a huge disappointment.

Lambos are tacky. And, AWD robs the car of what personality it should have. OTHO, the F430 is a beautiful car with an engaging chassis, even w/o the more graceful curves if the Modena 360.

Dymanically, I consider the 997's to be superior cars to the Ferrari. I ended up selling my Ferrari to go back to Porsche. . . . Porsches are for drivers!

Good luck.

RacerX, not too keen on the M6 - just too fat for my liking - sounds great though and plenty of power! The SL is just too old looking for me and my wife hates it.

Bstew, everyone tells me to go with the F1 shift, resale, speed of shift but IF I get a Ferrari, its gotta be a manual, I grew up staring into Ferrari's, wishing one day to use that gear box! Sorry, also, means the wife won't drive it - not a bad thing!

WAY, I didn't like the AMV8 at first to be honest with you, but the 07 car I had for a while was really good - much better than the 05 and 06 I had tried in the past.

I saw the R8 in the "metal" for the first time a few months ago - lovely looking car. I would consider it. I will drive it too as soon as its out! The only thing of my mates at Audi tells me is that the JP price is going to be only USD 50,000 short of a Gallardo or F430......

Frayed, my brain keeps telling me to stick to a 911 and to be honest with you. I have decided this week I will keep two cars. I will keep the 997 and buy another car OR sell the 997, buy one of the above and buy my wife a 987S - she would have been getting one this month but the STUPID dealer messed up the order and got the wrong colour!!!! It was going to be a surprise for her so no big deal. As long as there is one P car in the family I will be happy.

The main reason I actually considered the AMV8 is thats its available in RHD here in Japan - I would like to move to Australia this year if I can - my 24 year old brother has a business which is getting so big he cannot manage it himself and is phoning me like 10 times a day for help. If I'm gonna help him I might as well get paid for it : ) If anyone in Australia is after tiles or stone let me know! I saved my mate, AUD 26,000 on tiles - same gear as Amber just better service and price!

The Ferrari's and Lambo's have to be ordered in RHD otherwise you only see LHD in Japan! Even P cars are usually LHD (including my current car)

By the way, Australia has got to be the best country on the planet! I am of Indian origin (UK born and raised) and have pretty much travelled everywhere except Africa and would highly recommend Australia. Taxes are a joke and certain cars (Lambo / Ferrari) are very expensive, Porsches and most other European cars are OK and similarly priced to Japan. And living is dirt cheap! If you can earn even AUD 10,000 a month you can have a nice lifestyle. In Tokyo that won't even cover your rent!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777681 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441877 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262860 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261075 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85341 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5622 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880740 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816191 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM