Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Aftermarket TPMS

I was one of those who missed out on buying the TPMS on my 997. Man that was dumb on my part. I went with an LED Tire Alert Pressure Indicator from vechnicallight.com http://store.vehiclelight.com/airalert.html . I went out in the garage last night and notice my left rear tire indicator was flashing red. Turns out my tire was low. Went to the station and added air and everything is now good.

Hey it works.

Re: Aftermarket TPMS

pretty cool, thanks for sharing

Yup, TPMS is great....I know it's now standard in the USA but IMHO it should be standard in all markets...

nonono...

I don't want tpms, just keep it simple and reliable.

A couple years ago, I installed the system the tirerack.com sells... it's pretty good, but you do have to mount the little display inside the cockpit.
    I'm a big fan of the tire pressure systems... they have it for motorcycles now, so that's next for me.

Life simply gets more complex with time. What a labor saver for me. My tires really are stable,--I just don't lose air in them, but having TPMS keeps me from having to get out there and checking each one. So, every morning as I start out I see 31 31 36 36 and I know I'm good to go! I like the way Porsche integrated it in.

Dan

I wish mine was as stable, TPMS always varies by a few pounds, each time I check even when pressure confirmed by guage!
    Even with Nitrogen!

I agree entirely with Dan L. I hardly lose air in my tyres too but TPMS lets me keep an eye on them with minimal effort. You never know how useful TPMS can be until you use it. Then you wonder how you ever managed without it!

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Life simply gets more complex with time. What a labor saver for me. My tires really are stable,--I just don't lose air in them, but having TPMS keeps me from having to get out there and checking each one. So, every morning as I start out I see 31 31 36 36 and I know I'm good to go! I like the way Porsche integrated it in.

Dan

Isn't 31 31 36 36 a bit low?

I thought 33 33 39 39 was recommended.

Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Dan,

I agree wholeheartedly. I wasn't even thinking about it until my brother mentioned it as being quite useful given the cost of replacing a damaged wheel (isn't it about $2,000?) versus the cost of the TPMS before it became mandated by U.S. law last fall (I think I paid $590 for it).

I even use it to set the air pressure in my tires.

A further tought. Check to see if the valves are tightened properly. The ones on my car were not tightened well enough which is why I was losing air and constantly having to refill them. With the valves tightened properly, I rarely have to refill the tires.

Jim

Quote:
    larrytrk said:
    I wish mine was as stable, TPMS always varies by a few pounds, each time I check even when pressure confirmed by guage!
    Even with Nitrogen!

Read the manual. It explains why the readings vary with temperature.

The baseline pressure corrected for actual tire temperature is only shown in the "pressure info" mode, which can only be called up when the car is stationary. This is not very "intuitive", but it works fine when you have correctly understood the concept.

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Dan,

I agree wholeheartedly. I wasn't even thinking about it until my brother mentioned it as being quite useful given the cost of replacing a damaged wheel (isn't it about $2,000?) versus the cost of the TPMS before it became mandated by U.S. law last fall (I think I paid $590 for it).

A further tought. Check to see if the valves are tightened properly. The ones on my car were not tightened well enough which is why I was losing air and constantly having to refill them. With the valves tightened properly, I rarely have to refill the tires.

Jim

I don't think the valve cap can provide a tight seal? It only meant to keep dirt and moisture out of the valve core. If it leaks air, probably the valve core is not tight, or it's defective. Most auto parts store sells valve stem repair tool for a few $.

like this one
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0267829

Quote:
    colonel said:
    Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Dan,

Jim

I don't think the valve cap can provide a tight seal? It only meant to keep dirt and moisture out of the valve core. If it leaks air, probably the valve core is not tight, or it's defective. Most auto parts store sells valve stem repair tool for a few $.

like this one

Just in case Jim48 doesn't see this post and reply himself:
    I think he was referring to the valve body being tightly fitted into the hole in the wheel rim, because - if I remember correctly from articles I have read on TPMS systems - the valve is tightened to the rim by a threaded nut, compressing an O-ring seal between the valve body and a sealing surface on the wheel rim.

Quote:
    colonel said:
    Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Dan,

Jim

like this one

Let me try to state what I said using the correct terminology. I meant the valve core. You can use a small hand tool, specially made for the valve in the stem, to tighten it. That is what I did and I have not had significant changes in tire pressure in about three months, and I check it before I go out for a drive.

Hope I have cleared up my poor wording in the previous post.

Jim

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    colonel said:
    Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Dan,

Jim

like this one

Just in case Jim48 doesn't see this post and reply himself:
    I think he was referring to the valve body being tightly fitted into the hole in the wheel rim, because - if I remember correctly from articles I have read on TPMS systems - the valve is tightened to the rim by a threaded nut, compressing an O-ring seal between the valve body and a sealing surface on the wheel rim.

Fritz,

I apologize for my poor wording in my first post that has caused confusion. As I said in my correction, I tightened the valve core, the small part that holds the pressure within the valve stem.

Jim

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690221 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409575 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255892 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235132 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858300 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774514 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM