Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 turbo Supertest in Sport Auto...

F430 and Gallardo Pirelli Corsa's. 997 turbo Michelin Pilot Cup's NO.

Traction advantage do not have anything with tires on the Ring. Since all cars were on semi-slicks.
    Problem is Porsche PTM AWD system but, this is already discussed on this thread...

In short Gallardo's visco AWD offers better traction on both dry and wet road.

I realize that the gallardo may offer more stable high speed handling but I would have liked to see all the cars with the same tires. I don't know if this would have made a difference but the point is their should be as few variables as possible. People seem to be very dissapointed with these test results because of their proximity to the 996tt's numbers. Notice however that all three cars are fairly close, not just the turbo. What this says to me is that when you get below 7.55 on the ring it is very hard to get consistent numbers. I am dissapointed that the Turbo came in second in this particular test, however I hardly think it deserves all of the criticism leveled at it (and not the Gallardo/F430) in this thread.

Quote:
    trip said:
    I realize that the gallardo may offer more stable high speed handling but I would have liked to see all the cars with the same tires. I don't know if this would have made a difference but the point is their should be as few variables as possible. People seem to be very dissapointed with these test results because of their proximity to the 996tt's numbers. Notice however that all three cars are fairly close, not just the turbo. What this says to me is that when you get below 7.55 on the ring it is very hard to get consistent numbers. I am dissapointed that the Turbo came in second in this particular test, however I hardly think it deserves all of the criticism leveled at it (and not the Gallardo/F430) in this thread.

Most of your comments are simply said wrong IMHO.

Michelin Cup NO are tires specially developed by Michelin only for 997 GT3/GT3RS and turbo models!!

Pirelli P Zero Corsa are actually not the extreme in dry roadholding...

Too much critics on 997 turbo?

Come on! We just discussed here false claims by Porsche marketing department.

997 turbo is still an excellent car IMO. But, as I already said-competitors are at the same level.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Come on! We just discussed here false claims by Porsche marketing department.

MKSGR,

I assume from your posts that you are a current 997TT owner. Is that accurate ? Or, did you sell your 997TT ? If no, why don't you sell it for something else that will make you happy, whatever that may be ? It sounds like the turbo isn't your cup of tea. Why waste your precious time constantly badmouthing this particular vehicle. If you are so unhappy with it, just dump it like a bad habit or girlfriend ? Your characterizing the TT like its some kind of disease. So, treat it like one and cut it out of your life. FWIW, what vehicles DO you like as daily drivers ? Just interested, since you seem like a real hard ass viz a viz the 997TT. I thought another guy on this list dumped his TT and purchased an F430 (dingleberry ?). Maybe you should follow suit. Life is too short to be so unhappy. Just my 2 cents.

KresoF1,

As you are aware few, if any, of us purchase the 997TT for its ring times. Quite frankly, if Porsche produced 10,000 TT's in a 5 year run, I would be truly shocked if even five (5%) percent saw actual track time. I must know at least 20-25 TT owners in the NY/NJ/CT area and only one, to my knowledge, has ever tracked his vehicle (his TT is heavily modded and he owns several sports cars). So, who really gives a damn about this specific test ? Probably a few naysayers who don't now, or will ever, own the car.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    MKSGR,

I assume from your posts that you are a current 997TT owner. Is that accurate ? Or, did you sell your 997TT ? If no, why don't you sell it for something else that will make you happy, whatever that may be ? It sounds like the turbo isn't your cup of tea. Why waste your precious time constantly badmouthing this particular vehicle. If you are so unhappy with it, just dump it like a bad habit or girlfriend ? Your characterizing the TT like its some kind of disease. So, treat it like one and cut it out of your life. FWIW, what vehicles DO you like as daily drivers ? Just interested, since you seem like a real hard ass viz a viz the 997TT. I thought another guy on this list dumped his TT and purchased an F430 (dingleberry ?). Maybe you should follow suit. Life is too short to be so unhappy. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think you realize whom you're talking to.
    MKSGR was a 996TT X40 owner until last year. The reason he is mad is because he was really looking forward to the new Turbo, but it turned out to be a disappointment. It is actually no faster than the previous X50 and that car will beat it on the Nring. He did dump his Turbo order for the Ferrari 599, which he has on order. Also, he uses his supercars daily, at 200+ mph and has scores of backroads available to him, so he isn't some poseur who buys the Turbo to do 55 mph with it in North America.

Regarding Kreso, he also has the 997TT on order, so he isn't exactly a poseurish naysayer as you seem to imply. Take note of the fact that the Nring times are very indicative of the car's on-road performance - it has nothing to do with track driving. Of course this won't matter if you only want to use the car for straight-line races on your highways.

As for the PTM? Just ask RC how that gizmo performed when he took his Turbo among ordinary cars to a day of driver safety training. Want a hint? Some people thought he couldn't drive (he is a former rally driver) and called him 'grandpa'.

Here's a friendly piece of advice from me: don't denounce long-standing members here. You are new and have no idea of their experience levels and/or car ownership records. Furthermore, people have the right to criticize a car. Just because this is a 997TT board doesn't mean that people have to rave about it or shut up.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    MKSGR,

I don't think you realize whom you're talking to.
    MKSGR was a 996TT X40 owner until last year. The reason he is mad is because he was really looking forward to the new Turbo, but it turned out to be a disappointment. It is actually no faster than the previous X50 and that car will beat it on the Nring. He did dump his Turbo order for the Ferrari 599, which he has on order. Also, he uses his supercars daily, at 200+ mph and has scores of backroads available to him, so he isn't some poseur who buys the Turbo to do 55 mph with it in North America.

Regarding Kreso, he also has the 997TT on order, so he isn't exactly a poseurish naysayer as you seem to imply. Take note of the fact that the Nring times are very indicative of the car's on-road performance - it has nothing to do with track driving. Of course this won't matter if you only want to use the car for straight-line races on your highways.

As for the PTM? Just ask RC how that gizmo performed when he took his Turbo among ordinary cars to a day of driver safety training. Want a hint? Some people thought he couldn't drive (he is a former rally driver) and called him 'grandpa'.

Here's a friendly piece of advice from me: don't denounce long-standing members here. You are new and have no idea of their experience levels and/or car ownership records. Furthermore, people have the right to criticize a car. Just because this is a 997TT board doesn't mean that people have to rave about it or shut up.

Crashed !!

F430 7.55min
    997 Turbo 7.54
    Gallardo 7.52min
    2003 M3 CSL 7.50

An old three series with 360 HP and mediocre brakes is still faster than the latest and greatest cars of our time with 140 HP more. What happened to progress?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Just because this is a 997TT board doesn't mean that people have to rave about it or shut up.

In fact that is one of the biggest advantages of rennteam in comparison to other boards.

I don't think you realize to whom you're talking.

+++ Quite right.

And moving that 'to' where it belongs gives me a deep sense of satisfaction.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    I don't think you realize to whom you're talking.

+++ Quite right.

And moving that 'to' where it belongs gives me a deep sense of satisfaction.

Ha ha, thanks for the correction, AUM .

Crash,

I think I know exactly to whom I am speaking. Your comment sounds not only anti-997TT, but unequivocally anti-(North) American. Do you think that all (North) Americans are posseurs (sic for posers) who drive at 55 mph all day ? That is an extraordinarily arrogant mean spirited assumption. Where is Timbuktu, EU anyway ? With all due respect, is that in the European Union ? Are you telling me that the 997TT performs less well in YOUR special Country, or anyone elses for that matter ? I further disagree that ring times (which are all out 100% of the time) are even remotely relevant to my daily driving experiences. When have you ever been able to go all out in your TT on a legal road for seven or eight minutes without interruption (other than on a relatively straight road like the autobahn) ? Please tell me, as I'd love to buy some property there. Finally, I am not demanding that you rave about the 997TT or shutup. On the contrary, I am respectfully requesting that those members that are not TT "fans" go to a F430/Gallardo/Z06 board. You already stated that your buddy will not buy a 997TT, but has opted for a 599 (the best there is). That being said, why oh why would he stay on this board and lambast the 997TT at every turn ? A 599 owner or prospective owner can go to Fchat with dingleberry. Seems to me that you (and your senior members) employ extreme negativism with each and every comment to make your point. If you don't like the 997TT just go away. Most board members are here because the LIKE the 997TT !!! Wake up !!!

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Crash,

I think I know exactly to whom I am speaking. Your comment sounds not only anti-997TT, but unequivocally anti-(North) American. Do you think that all (North) Americans are posseurs (sic for posers) who drive at 55 mph all day ? That is an extraordinarily arrogant mean spirited assumption. Where is Timbuktu, EU anyway ? With all due respect, is that in the European Union ? Are you telling me that the 997TT performs less well in YOUR special Country, or anyone elses for that matter ? I further disagree that ring times (which are all out 100% of the time) are even remotely relevant to my daily driving experiences. When have you ever been able to go all out in your TT on a legal road for seven or eight minutes without interruption (other than on a relatively straight road like the autobahn) ? Please tell me, as I'd love to buy some property there. Finally, I am not demanding that you rave about the 997TT or shutup. On the contrary, I am respectfully requesting that those members that are not TT "fans" go to a F430/Gallardo/Z06 board. You already stated that your buddy will not buy a 997TT, but has opted for a 599 (the best there is). That being said, why oh why would he stay on this board and lambast the 997TT at every turn ? A 599 owner or prospective owner can go to Fchat with dingleberry. Seems to me that you (and your senior members) employ extreme negativism with each and every comment to make your point. If you don't like the 997TT just go away. Most board members are here because the LIKE the 997TT !!! Wake up !!!

It would seem that it is enough toi sneeze the wrong way nowadays to be interpreted as anti-American. Fact is, most owners in NA will have absolutely no chance of maxing out their cars, period.
    Regarding Ring times, they are not used for gauging the car's ability as a daily driver. They are used as an assessment of its driving capabilities. Heck, if you use the Turbo as a commuter, then more power to you, as it will be hard to beat, but it isn't what people expected it to be. The older model with 60 less horsepower, no LSD and inferior brakes beats it given equal rubber - THAT is what is bothering most people.
    Regarding maxing out the car, believe it or not, there are times here when I could max out even a Veyron and not need to release the gas pedal for anything but a 160 mph curve. That is something virtually unknown to you guys. There are also scores of perfectly empty roads here, either through forests, over mountain passes or just plain old blasting through the corn fields. So yes, the car can definitely be maxed out.
    Why is Markus still here? Well, you may or may not realize this, but Porsche monitors this site - complaints are welcome. Second, he likes the car - we all do. It's just the sheer disappointment at the car actually being inferior on so many counts to the old model that gets him. Again, he will stick around and his criticism of Porsche will keep being welcome.
    So, why do we stick around the 997TT board? Hard to figure out, isn't it? In short, we all love Porsche. It is a brand with a glorious history, cars that are reliable, faster than the competition and pretty much in a league of their own. Most people took the Cayenne as a necessary evil. Porsche would raise hard-needed cash with it to develop its sports cars. Fine, they can make coffee machines for all I care, as long as they keep delivering the superior 911s. The problem is that that they haven't done it this time. The Gallardo and the F430 are just as fast as the new Turbo, both in the straight line as in the twisties. Both seem easier to drive at the limit than the new Turbo (that wasn't the case with the old one). They have better exhaust notes. Granted, out of the three I've just named, I prefer the Turbo for its all-encompassing usability. That, however, is no reason to give the car credit where it is not due. It is not in any way or form faster than the 996 Turbo S. The developers totally screwed up with the PTM system and the only way they will fix it is if they see that people care. I suggest you use the ignore function if MKSGR's posts (or mine) bother you that much. That is what is so great about the internet - you only read what you want to, even if that may cost you a bit of added knowledge.

My point was that below 8 minutes it seems hard to deliver consistant numbers. I think have seen times for the Gallardo below 7:52 somewhere and I truly believe the 997tt is significantly faster than a 996tt X50. I think this Sport Auto test is fair to use when comparing the 997tt, Gallardo, and F430 but to use it to compare against numbers from tests from other days is not as accurate. I do believe the 997tt has acheived sub 7:50 times and I do believe the Gallardo has too. The F430 on the other hand seems to suffer from lack of AWD.

Tortesq1. There is no way that Canadians or Americans can really get the same use out of their cars as Germans or people from some neighboring countries often visiting Germany or even driving on their own roads wich are sometimes less congested/less patrolled than in NA.

I am a lifelong speeder in the US. Speed limits to some people are just painted numbers on signs But there is a hugely different joy of ownership and skill curve between finding limited oportunities to do a safe 120mph dash and having the pleasure of hitting 160MPH+ at will, whenever possible and without regard to flashing blue lights appearing behind or ahead.

Some of the more candid and driver talented Euro press and some EU 997TT owners have identified some negatives in the car when its pushed beyond 8/10s. So let them state what they know and have experienced. If they are dissapointed in some way, I want to know!

As for Crash's place of residence, what matter if it is EU or say even Bukina Fasso?

For all we know Crash is actually the ruler of Bukina Fasso and hunts cheetahs from a Turbo Cab using billiard cues. No big deal!

Rennteam is a a very interesting and fine community. Find time to enjoy it and you will, even Nick does

tortesq1,

Having owned 2 996tt's and now a 997tt, I am a strong believer that the new turbo is significantly better in all respects than the older car, but that is for my driving needs. There are a group of drivers on this board, mostly European, who appear to have the ability and the open roads to drive these cars at 9/10-10/10's and for them, the 997tt is apparently lacking. What has happened, much to the dismay of these more talented drivers is that the product planners at Porsche have made a car that has great appeal, but apparently something has been lost for those who can drive at the every edge.

I'm sorry for them, but it has no relevance to me.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    tortesq1,

Having owned 2 996tt's and now a 997tt, I am a strong believer that the new turbo is significantly better in all respects than the older car, but that is for my driving needs. There are a group of drivers on this board, mostly European, who appear to have the ability and the open roads to drive these cars at 9/10-10/10's and for them, the 997tt is apparently lacking. What has happened, much to the dismay of these more talented drivers is that the product planners at Porsche have made a car that has great appeal, but apparently something has been lost for those who can drive at the every edge.

I'm sorry for them, but it has no relevance to me.

Very well put, Alan!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Tortesq1. There is no way that Canadians or Americans can really get the same use out of their cars as Germans or people from some neighboring countries often visiting Germany or even driving on their own roads wich are sometimes less congested/less patrolled than in NA.

I am a lifelong speeder in the US. Speed limits to some people are just painted numbers on signs But there is a hugely different joy of ownership and skill curve between finding limited oportunities to do a safe 120mph dash and having the pleasure of hitting 160MPH+ at will, whenever possible and without regard to flashing blue lights appearing behind or ahead.

Some of the more candid and driver talented Euro press and some EU 997TT owners have identified some negatives in the car when its pushed beyond 8/10s. So let them state what they know and have experienced. If they are dissapointed in some way, I want to know!

As for Crash's place of residence, what matter if it is EU or say even Bukina Fasso?

For all we know Crash is actually the ruler of Bukina Fasso and hunts cheetahs from a Turbo Cab using billiard cues. No big deal!

Rennteam is a a very interesting and fine community. Find time to enjoy it and you will, even Nick does

Jim, come to BF this summer. My loyal subjects will organize for us a cheetah hunt using 430 Spiders and baseball bats. Turbo Cabs and billiard cues are so last week.

(Good to hear that someone still takes pride in speeding !)

Crash, then please reserve me a manual gearbox F430. The F1 transmissions dont do well off road. As for baseball bats, I prefer wooden over aluminum because they feel better when you hit something with them.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Heres how I look at it for what it's worth after being here and very much enjoying the learned exchange of ideas from people who clearly have more experience than than I. We all share something in common..(even Nick, cheers buddy.. ) we all love sports cars and want to see them improve...elevate the bar so to speak. The 997tt in it's stock form may not have brought everyone to their feet in a corus of applause but having said that, it has improved the marquee...perhaps only marginally. I do know this, I enjoy everyone of you and your thoughts, whether I agree with you on all ocassions or not is not important. What I do know is I will eventiually tune and enhance my car to make it as good as can practically be and for this reason I say to my european friends...keeps the critique coming What I am hoping for at the end of the day is a combination of modification recommendations that will take this, a truly great car and make it a reliable world class machine that will enhance it's already great features so I can say...I started with something I loved and my buddies made it the best...hats off to you guys. Lets get to peeling the onion and come up with a set of mods that will make it better and ...reliable as ever. I love my turbo...but need your help. I'm not looking for a 600 horsepower monster that will blow up or require a kings ransom to improve upon. I would like to make it slightly more aggressive... I have a car with lsd, sportchrono, short shifter with PCCB's and reliability is of paramount importance to any modifications I will make. Thanks for your help.

LOL... Crash! This is actually quite funny!
    For once you find yourself defending the people that have complaints about the 997TT.
    It's like the board has went through a black hole of role reversal!
    Do you see how frustrating it can be to speak to one who thinks that a Porsche badge means brilliance?
    Kudos to you for trying!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Just because this is a 997TT board doesn't mean that people have to rave about it or shut up.

In fact that is one of the biggest advantages of rennteam in comparison to other boards.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Well, that says it all, doesn't it?

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    LOL... Crash! This is actually quite funny!
    For once you find yourself defending the people that have complaints about the 997TT.
    It's like the board has went through a black hole of role reversal!
    Do you see how frustrating it can be to speak to one who thinks that a Porsche badge means brilliance?
    Kudos to you for trying!

You don't mean this one, do you?

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    KresoF1,

As you are aware few, if any, of us purchase the 997TT for its ring times. Quite frankly, if Porsche produced 10,000 TT's in a 5 year run, I would be truly shocked if even five (5%) percent saw actual track time. I must know at least 20-25 TT owners in the NY/NJ/CT area and only one, to my knowledge, has ever tracked his vehicle (his TT is heavily modded and he owns several sports cars). So, who really gives a damn about this specific test ? Probably a few naysayers who don't now, or will ever, own the car.

So, you are saying that Horst von Saurma, Sport Auto stuff and guys from UK's EVO mag(most members from Europe here-Crash, MKSGR, me etc.) are naysayers!

Oh boy, you have an attitude!

BTW, you order TIP version, didn't you

So, what is far more interesting is that most(not all!) current and future TIP owners have a problem with this test and its results...

As you can read most other members are just fine with discussion on this thread as it is!

Also, I said at least several times on this thread that IMHO 997 turbo is still a excellent car and I truly think so. Perfect? Maybe for you and your needs...

PORSCHEIN addicts-there is not difference between them and other close mined, die hard brand fans-be it Ferrari, Lamborgini or Vette!

...and about some members from Europe(EU or not!) been anti-USA(not anti American! There are North American continent-Canada, USA and South American continent) in their comments here. You mean generally on rennteam or on 997turbo board?
    Please, leave politics away from 997 turbo board.

To all members here-let's continue! Rennteam is such an amazing comunnity!

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    MKSGR,

My case s special: I had looked forward to ordering a new 997TT to replace my previous 996TTS until the first rumours/news about the 997TT came out. Let me say, our ex-ante expectations were pretty high (you can read them on rennteam if you use the search function).

Then came the frustrating news: not enough power, old 5-gear Tip, manual slower than Tip, etc. etc. Since then, the negative news flow has continued, the latest pieces of information being insufficient development work done on new AWD system and poor lap times compared to the 996TT.

Regarding my potential ordering of a 997TT I have taken the decision not to buy this car. However, this decision was made last fall already.

Having said all that I am still very annoyed about Porsche frustrating long-term customers like me by presenting a car like the 997TT I would have loved to buy a new TT

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    KresoF1,

The truth is: neither do NY/NJ/CT drivers use the potential of a car like the 997TT (unlesss they visit a track regularly) nor does Porsche earn its money in the US market: They sell about 40% of their production to the US. However, the US prices are that low that I doubt that Porsche would be profitable if they just served the US market. US prices are only possible as Porsche rips off European customers.

Having said that, I have no problem with being ripped off. I just have a BIG problem with poor engineering sold at high prices

Thanks

MK, Porsche US price fluctuations due to currency rates are leveled by Porsches currency hedging strategy, wich as part of their overall corporate financial planning has been very profitable for Porsche profit.

Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world. It doesnt cost them more than 9% more to build a 997 Carrera over a Boxster and a TT doesnt cost three Boxsters to build either.

And while German Porsche buyers pay a 19% VAT and other fees, US customers pay no VAT - only the different sales tax as per each states' law (roughly 0-4-8%)and in some states the vehicle license fee for a new 997 TT is only 40.00.

Sadly I think the 911 is near the end of its useful life. The TT looks really small for the money and its performance and finish quality no longer lead in all categories.

Its time for something new from them. Something that will inspire the sports car public is needed. I think they can do it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753157 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430752 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255469 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79520 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868351 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801910 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM