Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Does a rear wing do anything on the street?

Does a rear wing do anything besides look good when you are not on a race track?

I'm thinking of getting a techart type 3 style wing, pretty much because I like the way it looks, but was wondering if there were any aerodynamic advantages to it?

I see the race cars have a bigger, higher wing and the GT3 has a big wing as well.. But I don't personally like the huge wing, just something small-ish...

And, with the stock wing now "fixed" does that effect the airflow to the engine?

Re: Does a rear wing do anything on the street?

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    Does a rear wing do anything besides look good when you are not on a race track?

How about one that unbolts? That way you have a BETTER wing when you want it for track use and you don't have to drive around town with an appendage and looking like a character.

I wonder if the Turbo could have been built with a retractable spoiler/"wing."

Guy in a honda civic told me it adds 30Hp

+++ Yes the wing provides downforce at autobahn speeds (which are higher than most racetrack speeds). If you live in NA and don't track your car or drive above 200 km/h, the wing is more for bling.

No, but it makes a great table for tailgate parties Get 'r done....

Quote:
    SrfCity said:

I wonder if Porsche could have made _all_ the 997 models with retractible spoilers; or did the wingy appurtenances come about mostly only because they wanted the models to look different? NOT a good reason IMO.

At LEAST this one is functional in more ways than one:

No, but it is just another appendage that kills bugs fast.

Quote:
    AUM said:

+++ Yes the wing provides downforce at autobahn speeds (which are higher than most racetrack speeds). If you live in NA and don't track your car or drive above 200 km/h, the wing is more for bling.

Speaking of doing basically straight shots on the Autobahn, (not torturing the warrenty out of the car on a track) I wonder why the Carrera has a retractible spoiler, yet the GT3 and Turbo are looks-wise burdened with wings?

You'd think if you wanted to race your Porsche you could get an optional wing for the track (not needed Autobahn use, assuming a retractible spoiler will do for GT3 and TT).

You figure the top speeds for Carrera, GT3 and Turbo are only a few MPH apart and the aerodynamics of the body are the same (unless they changed them so they could put on wings ).

This ostentatious wing adornment is starting to look really silly for street and Autobahn use.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:

If you wanne get a wing, get a real one, get one of these...

Sure - It SLOWS you down !!!

I always laugh when I see people with civics etc and after market wings. Don't they know all that thing does is slow you down at anything below about 100mph ? Also since none of them are actually tested on the cars they are on - they could actually have CATASTROPHIC effects at speed - Like making the front end so light they lose grip and steering effectiveness..... NUTS.... I would never put an aero device on a car that had NO testing at all....

BLING BLING BABY

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

I'm thinking of getting a techart type 3 style wing, pretty much because I like the way it looks, but was wondering if there were any aerodynamic advantages to it?

I see the race cars have a bigger, higher wing and the GT3 has a big wing as well.. But I don't personally like the huge wing, just something small-ish...

And, with the stock wing now "fixed" does that effect the airflow to the engine?

Quote:
    John SF 2005 997 S said:
    Sure - It SLOWS you down !!!

I always laugh when I see people with civics etc and after market wings. Don't they know all that thing does is slow you down at anything below about 100mph ? Also since none of them are actually tested on the cars they are on - they could actually have CATASTROPHIC effects at speed - Like making the front end so light they lose grip and steering effectiveness..... NUTS.... I would never put an aero device on a car that had NO testing at all....

BLING BLING BABY

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

Hey John,

That's the whole purpose of the wing - to make the front end light so that the car can fly!

In fact that's a good point : the front bumper should always be adjusted to the rear spoiler !

A good aerokit will give much more stability, while doing 200 km/h on a twisty Autobahn ! (Much) more confidence giving.

Nevertheless, the base 911 is stable enough for me...

The Techart Rear Wing III looks great and applies more downforce at higher speeds

Don't know about you guys but I have recently rediscovered my rear wing!

I never used to have it up (other than when automatic at speed) but in the last few months I have found that it makes the car look more balanced somehow...

Anyone else drive around with the rear spoiler up?

Now people will think it's broken!

I used to use my 1974 RSR tail on my 1981 turbo SC for keeping blueberry muffins warm early in the morning on autocross days. It was a very practical use for me.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Now people will think it's broken!

Or the cops will think I am doing over 70mph through quiet villages, especially with my hacked PSE roaring away even at low speeds!!

Makes a nice picnic table

Quote:

Or the cops will think I am doing over 70mph through quiet villages, especially with my hacked PSE roaring away even at low speeds!!

Hacked PSE?? Does that mean you unplugged it or did something else? I'm interested....

Unplugged yes so no cut-out.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Just in case someone doesn't know: not completely speed-dependent, the spoiler will deploy when the car's heating system requires it. Also it manually can be deployed so tell the cop you think it looks cool and you leave it up. Of course you have more explaining to do when it goes down as you slow up with him behind you pulling you over with flashing lights.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Just in case someone doesn't know: not completely speed-dependent, the spoiler will deploy when the car's heating system requires it. Also it manually can be deployed so tell the cop you think it looks cool and you leave it up. Of course you have more explaining to do when it goes down as you slow up with him behind you pulling you over with flashing lights.

You could say you had it up manually, then pressed (and held) the Spoiler button (to lower it) as they came up behind you

...although they probably wouldn't believe you when the spoiler going down corresponded exactly to 50mph on their speedo

LOL
    It's a shame though that there is no indication in the the cockpit wether the spoiler is deployed or not if it autodeploy. When cruising at 120km/h I'm not sure if its up or not.. but who cares anyway ... Maybe I should mount a wifi-webcam on the back and have a laptop in the passenger seat to be able to observe the status

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Don't know about you guys but I have recently rediscovered my rear wing!

I never used to have it up (other than when automatic at speed) but in the last few months I have found that it makes the car look more balanced somehow...

Anyone else drive around with the rear spoiler up?

Funny you should say that Alex. I usually forget about it and let it deploy automatically, but whilst visiting a friend his young son asked "Why don't you have a rear spoiler?" I told him it came up automatically at speed and raised it manually just to show him.

His reaction was, "Wow, that looks really cool". I had my sun roof on tilt at the time and, sure enough, it did look really balanced!

Now I use the manual function more often but usually forget.

Quote:
    Lukas said:
    When cruising at 120km/h I'm not sure if its up or not.. but who cares anyway ... Maybe I should mount a wifi-webcam on the back and have a laptop in the passenger seat to be able to observe the status

Camera use would be too much of an accomplishment. Manually open spoiler, stick a wad of paper in there, close spoiler. Drive car above auto-deploy speed, stop and check to see if paper wad is still there. Pay littering fine and speeding ticket at same time to save the 1/2 cost of postage.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Lukas said:
    When cruising at 120km/h I'm not sure if its up or not.. but who cares anyway ... Maybe I should mount a wifi-webcam on the back and have a laptop in the passenger seat to be able to observe the status

Camera use would be too much of an accomplishment. Manually open spoiler, stick a wad of paper in there, close spoiler. Drive car above auto-deploy speed, stop and check to see if paper wad is still there. Pay littering fine and speeding ticket at same time to save the 1/2 cost of postage.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Lukas said:

I liked the "would be too much of an accomplishment," quip. Gonna try using that expression while employing the concept at work today.

It definatly looks cool

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Lukas said:

Great tip .. will try that out.. but with this solution I will only know IF it deploys at all and since I can raise/lower it while standing still I assume that it is functional . I still would not know exact @ what speed it deploy 118,119,120,121,122,123,123 km/h on the speedo? and when does it go back in it's closed position again... 67,68,69,70,71.72,73 km/h :k Are we talking REAL speed or does it deploy accoring to tacometer .. Did i give you a to complicated task now or can your paper solution be extended so that the real speed is written on the paper when deployed

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM