Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche 911 [991.2]

Grant:
    EnglishManInNY:

report of GTS coming with 3.0 turbo engine...

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/confirmed-2017-porsche-911-gts-facelift.html

That is what most of our local sources have been saying for months - interesting to see it confirmed on those California documents like that.  Guess we should expect around 450 turbo horses?

Do they usually release the S Powerkit at around the same time as the GTS? 

No.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I had a look around the new cars at my dealer when they replaced one of the ignition coils of my car - interestingly, seeing an ordinary "Carrera" and "Carrera S" I asked myself whether Porsche is about to loose its appeal, when everybody seems to be waiting for the next limited edition or so only. I told myself, "hi, that base Carrera here with 350 hp is a fabulous car, why do I have the feeling that this is not appreciated anymore ?". OK, we all need to adapt and go with the times, but, hey, ten years ago, a new 911 was a new 911 and nobody said something like a second later "oh, when is the GTS, the powerkit, the limited extra VIP whatever edition be released ?". That is really strange as the base product already is IMO a fine and state of the art piece of engineering...

d997h:

I had a look around the new cars at my dealer when they replaced one of the ignition coils of my car - interestingly, seeing an ordinary "Carrera" and "Carrera S" I asked myself whether Porsche is about to loose its appeal, when everybody seems to be waiting for the next limited edition or so only. I told myself, "hi, that base Carrera here with 350 hp is a fabulous car, why do I have the feeling that this is not appreciated anymore ?". OK, we all need to adapt and go with the times, but, hey, ten years ago, a new 911 was a new 911 and nobody said something like a second later "oh, when is the GTS, the powerkit, the limited extra VIP whatever edition be released ?". That is really strange as the base product already is IMO a fine and state of the art piece of engineering...

Very true! Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    d997h:

Very true! Smiley

+1

--

Amen!!! 😎 Get a base Carrera, replace the exhaust, add spacers and short springs and you have an amazing car.

She is finally here.

52394fed0fc1f180b819530e4617386b.jpg
    IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5394.JPG

Targa 4S Graphite blue metallic exterior with Bordeaux red interior.

EnglishManInNY:

report of GTS coming with 3.0 turbo engine...

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/confirmed-2017-porsche-911-gts-facelift.html

Of course it comes with the new turbo charged engine, those rumors about a n/a engine were only wishful thinking. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

d997h:

Currently, if someone isn't looking for maximum Autobahn performance, the new base model may be the best choice from a value/price point of view. Add the sport exhaust and the sportiest chassis setup and you get a wonderful 911 at a very attractive price. I fully agree!

Actually, I would get the base model as a convertible... Compared to a similar S model, it would save me at least 20k EUR. With some nice options, I get a price tag of around 135k EUR. Still a lot for such a car but "acceptable" for a brand-new 911 Cab. For comparison...my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab was 164k.

If I had to choose between a new Cayman (with the exception of the GT4 of course...) or the new base model 991.2 Carrera, I would get the Carrera. Since the new Cayman will have a flat 4 as well, I think the 911 base model could be an interesting alternative for buyers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

jamal al marri:

She is finally here.

Woah, nice Jamal! wonderful car, congrats! 

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Congrats, enjoy in good health !

Congrats! Looks great!

--

RC:
    d997h:

Since the new Cayman will have a flat 4 as well, I think the 911 base model could be an interesting alternative for buyers.

I doubt that Cayman drivers will go for a 911 (just) because of the 4 cyl. engine - as far as I have been told there are these mid-engine folks and the "others". However, new Porsche clients (at least in Germany) will always go for the 911 as this is traditionally THE Porsche.

I am with you on the base Carrera Convertible topic, however still, I would argue that you may always feel to justify your decision strongly and that is my point. In the past, all you needed to say was: Oh, I got myself a 911 - full stop - Today, the further questions may or will be, ok, what is it, an "S", "GTS" etc. Just think about those people alone who think that a Porsche 911 "4" (not you bluelines!) is "better" not because of the AWD but because of the additional declaration on the car...

Porsche plays that dumb model variations game pretty well, a bit too well in my opinion.

For me, this would have been the perfect Porsche:

"991 R" in various variants and one 911 Turbo:

1. Carrera models (Coupe, Convertible, Targa) with 470 hp

2. GT models (GT3, GT3 RS) with 500 hp and choice of manual/PDK and/or wing delete (GT3 only, not RS)

3. Turbo model with 550 hp and optional powerkit with 600 hp

So simple but yet... yes

Porsche should make ONE base model of each Carrera, GT and Turbo and then you can add your options as you please. I find this much more satisfying (as a customer) than all those special models, bla bla bla...

--

bluelines:
    Rossi:
    d997h:

Very true! Smiley

+1

+1 . I feel exactly the same.  What was different years ago was the product introduction timeline. Porsche would first introduce the Carrera 2 after a year or something  the 4 wheel drive and Convertibles and then after a while more the Turbos and GT models. There you had this excitement build up. When the new model would hit the showroom it was an event.  Today Porsche "spoils" it in a way by introducing line innovations at a quite high rate (more or less every year) and add to this the limited editions model stealing the show to the other ones (on their own merits though).  

Congrats Jamal great looking Targa. Very special color combination. Very good taste. Enjoy in good health.kiss

I vote for you RC as the new head of Porsche product strategy! You really  nailed it. Indeed Porsche is creating frustration and envy with their 911 product segmentation, you almost have the poor guy 911 and the rich guy 911. While when you buy a Ferrari 458 you buy a 458 and that's it. 

DocMo:

I vote for you RC as the new head of Porsche product strategy! You really  nailed it. Indeed Porsche is creating frustration and envy with their 911 product segmentation, you almost have the poor guy 911 and the rich guy 911. While when you buy a Ferrari 458 you buy a 458 and that's it. 

I guess my chances are pretty slim. Smiley

I compare this with bureaucracy: Once a certain pattern has prevailed, it is basically impossible to change it.

So yes, Porsche has perfected model range bureaucracy, typical German I'd say. Why should the car industry be different from real life in Germany?! Smiley Smiley

--

When will they introduce the 2017 Targa GTS? I am beginning to question whether I should wait for the GTS or stick with my Targa 4S order.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:

When will they introduce the 2017 Targa GTS? I am beginning to question whether I should wait for the GTS or stick with my Targa 4S order.

GTS is rumored for next year...not sure when though.

(Late) 2018 could already be the year of the 992... Smiley Latest 2019.

Of course there is no guarantee...

--

Thanks. I'll stick with my order. I don't like center cap wheels nor the Spyder wheels.

--

nberry:

Thanks. I'll stick with my order. I don't like center cap wheels nor the Spyder wheels.

Stupid question: Have you ever test-drove a Huracan or the new R8? Both maybe even in Spider flavor?

If you got rid of your GT3, you will never ever be happy with a Targa. Maybe for a couple of months but then... Just saying.

My wife fell in love with that Huracan in Miami...what a beautiful car and not too flashy in the right color.

--

RC:
    nberry:

Stupid question: Have you ever test-drove a Huracan or the new R8? Both maybe even in Spider flavor?

If you got rid of your GT3, you will never ever be happy with a Targa. Maybe for a couple of months but then... Just saying.

My wife fell in love with that Huracan in Miami...what a beautiful car and not too flashy in the right color.

It is you RC who want a Huracan or R8. Don't project your own desires onto Nick. That is not going to make him happy.

The Targa fits Nick perfectly. He got rid of the GT3 because he could not use it to its full. Getting an even more powerful Huracan or R8 makes no sense.

--

Joost:
    jamal al marri:

She is finally here.

Woah, nice Jamal! wonderful car, congrats! 

+1 - and hopefully you can update some photos in real light; that undergound parkade light did no favours to the special colours you ordered... Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

bluelines:
    RC:
    nberry:

It is you RC who want a Huracan or R8. Don't project your own desires onto Nick. That is not going to make him happy.

The Targa fits Nick perfectly. He got rid of the GT3 because he could not use it to its full. Getting an even more powerful Huracan or R8 makes no sense.

I just had the feeling that Nick isn't too happy with Porsche. Don't forget that he had a Ferrari before...

I do not see the point to switch from a GT3 to a 991.2 Targa: 

1. Same interior/exterior...basically

2. He looses sound, thus emotions

3. He looses drive feel and driving excitement

He basically would switch from a 991 GTS to a 991 Turbo S, minus the performance gain.

I do not see the point but if you are implying that Nick got old and rather enjoys a more quiet and comfortable ride, well...you maybe be onto something. Not so sure however if Nick agrees (if he does, I'm OK with it).

Btw: What I want and I what I can afford are two pair of shoes. Unfortunately. Within my budget, I would like to have a Huracan (or a used R8 V10 Plus, not the new one) but in reality, I would rather get a F12 or Aventador. Money no issue? 918 and probably a 675LT as well. Smiley

--

Hmm, .2 991, especially in C2/C2S trim is a shit car, period.

That engine is an embarrassment to Porsche. 

It has no part throttle response. 

--

No RC, I am not implying that Nick is getting old. Are you implying that Targas are for the seniors only? Smiley

I believe Nick wanted a car which is more drivable and usable on the street. This one comes without a roof. A big plus over the GT models for many.

--

Very retro, unusual and elegant!  Congratulations!

Wonderbar:

Very retro, unusual and elegant!  Congratulations!

Than you. I fear both Bluelines and Christian are correct. I am of two minds.

its been a month since I sold the GT3. In some ways I miss it and in others I don't. I don't have any illusions about thr Targa. It isn't a GT3. The power, the sound and handling of the GT3 is intoxicating. Yet, 90%of the time those features alluded me. Thus my frustration with the car and why I sold it.

I looked long and hard at the Huracan and studied the R8V10. Maybe I am getting old but the Huracan is just too over the top for me. The R8 is massive power with top down it looks are not that overwhelming to me and it cost close to $100,000 more than the Targa I ordered. To my eyes, the Targa is a classic Porsche and as Wonderbar aptly described it, "Very retro, unusual and elegant". I could not have written my impression of the Targa any better. kiss

Nick, I am afraid your addicted to monster hp. The 991.2 has plenty of grunt. Certainly more than anyone would need for street driving. The sport exhaust is adequate. As I wrote before. I am hedging my purchase. I am early on the list for a RS.2 should they build one. The GT2 is out of the question. Probably one of the most unusable cars for street driving ever built. Maybe it's past moniker "the widow maker" has turned me off the car. 

--

Thanks to all. I will take proper pictures as soon as I put license plates on her. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688601 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408718 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255524 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234792 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65396 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857586 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773395 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM