Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

Bizarre that they still feel the need to put the word PORSCHE on the back....  Is this exciting, always thought I'd like a wingless GT3 until I saw it.

The Porsche Management in NZ says there's a LIGHTWEIGHT GT3 model coming - has anyone heard this???

watt:

Bizarre that they still feel the need to put the word PORSCHE on the back....  Is this exciting, always thought I'd like a wingless GT3 until I saw it.

The Porsche Management in NZ says there's a LIGHTWEIGHT GT3 model coming - has anyone heard this???

Yes, they will call it "GT3 RS" smiley​​​​​​​

Porsche 911 GT3 Touring launch event...

Porsche 911 Touring 01.jpg

Porsche 911 Touring 02.jpg

Porsche 911 Touring 03.jpg

Porsche 911 Touring 04.jpg

...how do you like them apples? Smiley

Thanks RC...Cayman sales slow here. Porsche offering attractive leasing options. Dealer called me this afternoon to let me know touring edition has been added to the US configurator and I'm close to receiving  an allocation. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

The GT3-TP looks, dare I say, elegant, while giving the driver all the emotions of a GT3.  This could open up quite a bit of market space for Porsche if handled well, by expanding the range of cars in which owners can enjoy a special engine(in particular as the standard 911 engines have, to many, become a bit less special). I imagine this particular edition is a first step, obviously a poor mans 911R, but others will follow once the crying about diluting the GT range subsides. kiss

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I presume the GTS is more of a "touring" model than the GT3 Touring.

The GTS more torquey turbo engine is more suited to daily use, the suspension is more pliant for trips and in the city and the rear seats are intact. Plus you get the option of AWD for countries with difficult winters and the option of PDK.

The GT3 T offers a high revving N/A engine which might be more special but has less of a "touring" nature. The noise, choice of tyres are also not very conducive to relaxed "touring".

You lose 50HP but you also save 25.000EUR.

IMO you either choose the fully-fledged, authentic GT3 or go for a type of Carrera.

The GT3 T is an answer to question very few people asked but Porsche will have no problem selling  their production, like they always do, with their proficient marketing which will present this car as another special 911 yes

--

"Form follows function"

I agree with you but only in the choice of name being "touring"

this is not the pick of the range for touring

however, put simply, if you want the gt3 engine and assosiated experience, but you don't like the wing then this is the ultimate car for you.

bluelines:

It will be interesting to see how this different philosophy translates into real world numbers around the Ring Smiley

Yes, if it had the rear seats this would have been a great GTS Smiley

We know the answer to that Smiley  Still, the philosophy of this car has changed .  It is an R , but they were too sacred to called it that way Smiley

If I would own only one 911 , this car would be it and be my DD and being used for the occasional track .

My RS is the other way around . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

4trac:

The GT3-TP looks, dare I say, elegant, while giving the driver all the emotions of a GT3.  This could open up quite a bit of market space for Porsche if handled well, by expanding the range of cars in which owners can enjoy a special engine(in particular as the standard 911 engines have, to many, become a bit less special). I imagine this particular edition is a first step, obviously a poor mans 911R, but others will follow once the crying about diluting the GT range subsides. kiss

It makes sense that Porsche is widening the GT3 line a bit more now that all the other 911 versions are turbocharged and there is no other NA option, not even an NA GTS, so I guess they are using the GT3 to take up some of the slack of that void.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Live stream of Porsche press conference from 11:30 CET at IAA in Frankfurt...

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-iaa-2017-novelty-911-cayenne-world-premiere-livestream-press-conference-14118.html

Porker:
    OH NO!!! Manual only and no AWD, how on earth will people be able to drive this thing! SmileySmiley 

Thank god Porsche is not on the same page...

Says someone driving a station wagon Beemer with AWD... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

steelested

however, put simply, if you want the gt3 engine and assosiated experience, but you don't like the wing then this is the ultimate car for you.

On the GT3, Porsche could have added a "wing delete option" or "Sport Design Paket" and allow a "rear seats option" to the wingless car.

In that case you could have your wingless GT3 with PDK and/or rear seats. That hypothetical car would make more sense that the recent offering.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

steelested

On the GT3, Porsche could have added a "wing delete option" or "Sport Design Paket" and allow a "rear seats option" to the wingless car.

In that case you could have your wingless GT3 with PDK and/or rear seats. That hypothetical car would make more sense that the recent offering.

--

"Form follows function"

Smiley As if Porsche wanted to piss off 911R owners. Smiley In the same process, they also pissed off potential PDK/rear seats customers. Smiley Great job! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

true....actually the flippers.....

RC:
    Porker:
    OH NO!!! Manual only and no AWD, how on earth will people be able to drive this thing! SmileySmiley 

Thank god Porsche is not on the same page...

Says someone driving a station wagon Beemer with AWD... Smiley

That's my wife's, but OK. What has a daily family car to do with a sportscar? 

Does someone have info on the changes made to go to Touring spec? Does it have different springs, more sound deadening, etc.. ?

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

disappointed after all the hype/rumours re rear seats. there is no reason to get this over a manual .2 GT3 imo.

now I enjoy (and treasure) my 997.2 GT3 more than ever wink

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

I don't know why Porsche limits the options available in a non-limited edition car.

There are things that I can't understand from the brand. On one hand they milk customers with almost infinite lineups and absurdly expensive options. On the other one you can't paint the brake calipers nor buy a freaking GT3 TP PDK and/or with roll cage, with lots of people willing to pay money for that. Same for PTS allocations.

The car itself? Brilliant, specially for those who want fly under the radar without sacrificing performance. Surprisingly for me, I think I prefer the one with the wing. IMHO they nailed it with the current GT3.

alexalex88:

I don't know why Porsche limits the options available in a non-limited edition car.

There are things that I can't understand from the brand. On one hand they milk customers with almost infinite lineups and absurdly expensive options. On the other one you can't paint the brake calipers nor buy a freaking GT3 TP PDK and/or with roll cage, with lots of people willing to pay money for that. Same for PTS allocations.

The car itself? Brilliant, specially for those who want fly under the radar without sacrificing performance. Surprisingly for me, I think I prefer the one with the wing. IMHO they nailed it with the current GT3.

Couldn't agree more. Smiley

--

Maybe manual GT3 are selling very badly and they need to sell these manual transmissions... Amazing how many groups of costumers Porsche will annoy with this silly release.

SciFrog:

Maybe manual GT3 are selling very badly and they need to sell these manual transmissions... Amazing how many groups of costumers Porsche will annoy with this silly release.

The decision to make the Touring came before sales of GT3, so no real  opportunity to know the take rate of manual by then.

But Manual gearbox and mechanical LSD cost Porsche less than PDK and electronic LSD, so probably just motivated by higher margins...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

911R vs GT3 Touring

-911R has single mass flywheel 

-911R is numbered

-911R has a bit more 'emotions', less insulation so more noise 

-911R has a few lightweight bits

-GT3 Touring has a better engine

-GT3 Touring has a bit more stability at high speed due to extra downforce

-GT3 Touring after configuration will be about 15% cheaper than a comparable 911R (both counting MSRP)

The GT3 Touring is a direct result from people going after the 911R like crazies. 

Some say about 80% of people ordering manual GT3 will go for the Touring option, rough guess Porsche will make around 4000 GT3. figured the take up rate for manual cars will be 30%, 1200 manual cars and if 80% figure is true, Porsche will make around 1000 GT3 Touring, around the same number as 911R. 

Don't get swayed by forums about everyone is ordering manual. Car forums have perhaps a few hundred active members that are ordering manual cars, the silent majority outside of online forums will be ordering PDK. 

Fitting PDK back onto the GT3 Touring is trivial, I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche ended up allowing that option later down the road. 

As a 911R owner, do I feel upset or betrayed? Not really. From talking to AP, I always knew a manual GT3 is coming, the 911R is just a beta car for them to test out the 6-speed and diffuser. Porsche dressed up a beta test car and limit the number to make it 'special'. Now going all the way to make it wingless does put a little bit of sour taste in my mouth, but in the end, there are still a lot of content difference between the 2 cars. Hopefully with the Touring car people will not go crazy on the 911R anymore and make the price come down, so I can actually drive it more.

--

SciFrog:

My dealer is seeing higher demand for the MT than PDK in the GT3 Winged version. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

I can't believe they went through all of this trouble and didn't add rear seats. mail

I went from "blocking out some time next week to go see my salesperson" to "F$ck Porsche, they're never going to make a car that actually really  suits my needs."

Also Porsche interiors are sh!t and this one really drives it home. Looks cheap, feels cheap and is two generations behind the worst of its competition. 

Christ I'm pissed off right now.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Whoopsy:

911R vs GT3 Touring

-911R is numbered

-GT3 Touring after configuration will be about 15% cheaper than a comparable 911R (both counting MSRP)

The GT3 Touring is a direct result from people going after the 911R like crazies. 

Some say about 80% of people ordering manual GT3 will go for the Touring option, rough guess Porsche will make around 4000 GT3. figured the take up rate for manual cars will be 30%, 1200 manual cars and if 80% figure is true, Porsche will make around 1000 GT3 Touring, around the same number as 911R. 

Don't get swayed by forums about everyone is ordering manual. Car forums have perhaps a few hundred active members that are ordering manual cars, the silent majority outside of online forums will be ordering PDK. 

Fitting PDK back onto the GT3 Touring is trivial, I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche ended up allowing that option later down the road. 

As a 911R owner, do I feel upset or betrayed? Not really. From talking to AP, I always knew a manual GT3 is coming, the 911R is just a beta car for them to test out the 6-speed and diffuser. Porsche dressed up a beta test car and limit the number to make it 'special'. Now going all the way to make it wingless does put a little bit of sour taste in my mouth, but in the end, there are still a lot of content difference between the 2 cars. Hopefully with the Touring car people will not go crazy on the 911R anymore and make the price come down, so I can actually drive it more.

As usual this is probably spot on NickSmiley

Whoopsy:

911R vs GT3 Touring

-911R is numbered

Voice of reason.  Refreshing.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Mithras:

I can't believe they went through all of this trouble and didn't add rear seats. mail

I went from "blocking out some time next week to go see my salesperson" to "F$ck Porsche, they're never going to make a car that actually really  suits my needs."

Also Porsche interiors are sh!t and this one really drives it home. Looks cheap, feels cheap and is two generations behind the worst of its competition. 

Christ I'm pissed off right now.

Funny enough that is most of the reasons why I moved away from the 911 9 years agoSmiley

Whoopsy:

911R vs GT3 Touring

-911R is numbered

Great summary!..Plus you created the next GT3 Touring Edition model - PDK version 

--

Probably also a '' message '' to the flippers . It had gotten out of hand . The speculation driving everybody nuts .

With the release of the T , futur speculator on limited models  will think twice  . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

There was talk of interesting colours and interior materials for the Touring as well, but I don't see any mention of that outside of the corduroy(?) seat facings.  Launching it in Sapphire Blue doesn't suggest there will be interesting colours either.  

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Gnil:

Probable aslo a '' message '' to the flippers . It has gotten out of hand . The speculation driving everybody nuts .

With the release of the T , futur speculator on limited models  will think twice  . 

A Porsche should not be considered a commodity like Orange Crop futures...No insult meant for Rennteam members who are Commodity Traders 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689224 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409037 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234928 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65489 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857848 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773838 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM