Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Only In Japan

The other night, the wife and I were cruising at a safe 90mph on a motorway going home. I was in the middle lane of a three lane road when in my rearview mirror I saw a car flash its lights, it was literally miles away, then wihtin a few seconds three Japanese Mitsubishi / Subaru / Nissan type of cars went past me at what must have been over 150 MPH + - my car literally rocked from the wind they generated!

Wife told me that those racers are called Roulette Racers - the go around the Shuto Expressway ( a ring road around Tokyo - probably 80 miles of road) again and again. Did a quick search and came up with the below vid.

The lunatics in the video are doing all their wild stunts on regular roads with other traffic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAq4BvqpaRs

Re: Only In Japan

How come the police don't intervene if it's so well known?

Because the police in Japan are pussies....when I was there I couldn't believe what they get away with.

It's amazing how reckless some people could be. Sheeesh! I thought Miami was bad!

If you want to know more.... try here

how many times do they crash per month?

Quote:
    amazon said:

Less then you think

Quote:
    amazon said:

While not my cup o' tea, I would suspect that they have a fairly good handle on car control and vehicle dynamics. Better than your average American young driver.

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    The other night, the wife and I were cruising at a safe 90mph on a motorway going home. I was in the middle lane of a three lane road when in my rearview mirror I saw a car flash its lights, it was literally miles away, then wihtin a few seconds three Japanese Mitsubishi / Subaru / Nissan type of cars went past me at what must have been over 150 MPH + - my car literally rocked from the wind they generated!

Wife told me that those racers are called Roulette Racers - the go around the Shuto Expressway ( a ring road around Tokyo - probably 80 miles of road) again and again. Did a quick search and came up with the below vid.

The lunatics in the video are doing all their wild stunts on regular roads with other traffic.

You do know that you have to drive in the rightmost (in your case the opposite) lane if you have room, rigt?

I don't condone morons weaving in and out of traffic as if the road was their own private racetrack, however simply driving past you at a high rate of speed doesn't constitute madness. Mirrors and turn signals, adfter all, are an integral part of road safety so people should spot them early enough (you did). If I misinterpreted the situation and made wrong assumptions, I apologize in advance.

And the guys in the video are totally irresponsible .

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    How come the police don't intervene if it's so well known?

The police are getting strict now actually. I new law came into place last year - if you are caught doing something reckless - high speed / drifting etc you could goto jail for 10 days and loose your license and have your car confiscated. I know of two people it has happened to personally!

TDU style woosshh

TDU(Test Drive Unlimited)

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

You do know that you have to drive in the rightmost (in your case the opposite) lane if you have room, rigt?

I don't condone morons weaving in and out of traffic as if the road was their own private racetrack, however simply driving past you at a high rate of speed doesn't constitute madness. Mirrors and turn signals, adfter all, are an integral part of road safety so people should spot them early enough (you did). If I misinterpreted the situation and made wrong assumptions, I apologize in advance.

And the guys in the video are totally irresponsible .

LOL - I have no problem with people driving faster than me. I was actually 40mph over the limit myself if the truth be told. But these dudes are looking to not only speed but scare others on the road. They are not just speeding, they are literally looking to cause you trouble - hence I called them lunatics.

On a few occasions I have had these idiots tailgate me - looking for a race. On more than one I have thrashed them

You are right, only in Japan. With the rabid legal system we have here, I know where you would be spending the next five years.

Quote:
    While not my cup o' tea, I would suspect that they have a fairly good handle on car control and vehicle dynamics. Better than your average American young driver.

They could all be F1 drivers , but on a public road, people cannot determine in their rear view mirrors that someone in the next lane has a 90 mph GREATER closing speed ,as they change lanes . A resultant chain reaction crash would take out a lot of innocent adults and children " on their way home ".

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:

They could all be F1 drivers , but on a public road, people cannot determine in their rear view mirrors that someone in the next lane has a 90 mph GREATER closing speed ,as they change lanes . A resultant chain reaction crash would take out a lot of innocent adults and children " on their way home ".

Agree completely. On a public road around other drivers, it's just plain stupid.

Quote:
    doyle said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:

Agree completely. On a public road around other drivers, it's just plain stupid.

You can if you aren't lazy. I've never had anybody have to brake because of me. Then again, if the guy really is coming at an insane rate of speed (let's say 100+ mph of differential), you can still prevent a catastrophe by performing the proper lane switch procedure.

1. Check your rear view mirror.
    2. Engage turn signal.
    3. Check side mirror.
    4. Check blind spot.
    5. Re-check side mirror.
    6. Switch lane. This will give enough time for the guy behind you to spot your intentions and hit the brakes. Not saying it's wise to play Walter Röhrl in traffic, but there are ways of increasing safety.

I don't know the meaning of "Hashiriya", but it looks more like a modern version of "Harakiri" to me

Drifting is sooooo lame. Even worse on a public road. Hell it makes my late night romps seem very tame. I think the word is Sepuku, right. When the Samurai would comit suicide if they dishonored themselves or their clan. Boy if thats the case there should be a lot of dead Japanese.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    I don't know the meaning of "Hashiriya", but it looks more like a modern version of "Harakiri" to me

agree for the meaning

Hashiriya means racer. I had to renew my Japanese license a while ago and got some shocking facts. Japan has the highest number of road deaths (per capita) in any developed country in the world, the highest number of accidents and some of the most stupid rules you will ever get!

Check this out:

If you hit someone from behind, no matter what, its your fault.
    Example, your driving down a street at 40mph (limit being 50) and some dude decides he wants to stop at a green light, you hit him, your fault.

At a roundabout - same rule.

A taxi decides to stop on a dual carriageway and you hit him your fault.

A bus pulls out without indicating, your fault.

A cyclist is riding down the street ON THE WRONG SIDE, at night with no lights in black clothing, you hit him whilst folllowing all the rules of the road, tough luck bud, its your fault.

A guy is drunk and runs out in the street and dies because he attacks YOUR CAR by trying to head butt it, your fault you go to jail.

You are not supposed to drive for more than 1km in the overtaking lane, the overtaking lane is always full! SO, guess what, everyone undertakes all day long. Motorbikes and scooters weave inside of traffic all day - I sometimes open my door and watch a line of them form, they do wait patiently though!

The list is endless!

Idiots, this place is absolutely full of them!

20 minute walk from where I live is the nightlife area of Tokyo. Prositution is illegal but it is advertised everywhere! The girls are on the street, the cops just turn a blind eye! parking on the street in Tokyo is illegal (unless you are in a car park / or a proper street parking area where you pay in to a meter)
    but there are cars parked everywhere causing traffic jams! People run red lights all day long! Its no different to India or China in many ways.

The place is a joke.

And to boot, the Japs cannot drive to save their lives! Sato Takuma the [beep] who drives for Honda F1 is a prime example : ) he looks like gremlin!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Hashiriya means racer. I had to renew my Japanese license a while ago and got some shocking facts. Japan has the highest number of road deaths (per capita) in any developed country in the world, the highest number of accidents and some of the most stupid rules you will ever get!

Check this out:

If you hit someone from behind, no matter what, its your fault.
    Example, your driving down a street at 40mph (limit being 50) and some dude decides he wants to stop at a green light, you hit him, your fault.

At a roundabout - same rule.

A taxi decides to stop on a dual carriageway and you hit him your fault.

A bus pulls out without indicating, your fault.

A cyclist is riding down the street ON THE WRONG SIDE, at night with no lights in black clothing, you hit him whilst folllowing all the rules of the road, tough luck bud, its your fault.

A guy is drunk and runs out in the street and dies because he attacks YOUR CAR by trying to head butt it, your fault you go to jail.

You are not supposed to drive for more than 1km in the overtaking lane, the overtaking lane is always full! SO, guess what, everyone undertakes all day long. Motorbikes and scooters weave inside of traffic all day - I sometimes open my door and watch a line of them form, they do wait patiently though!

The list is endless!

Idiots, this place is absolutely full of them!

20 minute walk from where I live is the nightlife area of Tokyo. Prositution is illegal but it is advertised everywhere! The girls are on the street, the cops just turn a blind eye! parking on the street in Tokyo is illegal (unless you are in a car park / or a proper street parking area where you pay in to a meter)
    but there are cars parked everywhere causing traffic jams! People run red lights all day long! Its no different to India or China in many ways.

The place is a joke.

And to boot, the Japs cannot drive to save their lives! Sato Takuma the [beep] who drives for Honda F1 is a prime example : ) he looks like gremlin!

Oddly enough, your description sounds an awful lot like my country. If you're at the rear, it is your fault. Rules are stupid everywhere. In Europe it is still your fault if you run over a cyclist or a pedestrian who does not follow rules. Granted, you can then argue against this in court, but what a hassle .

It reminds me of the Tokyo drift movie. Are those scenes part of the making of?

I think it's the same in Australia; if you're at the rear, it's your fault.

In many ways Japan is a great country but in some others - its so backward its incredible!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409293 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255778 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235008 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858055 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM