Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Rossi:
    noone1:

The difference between a fast car and a 720S.

But the bull sounds so much nicer. Smiley

What a pity that one can not hear it from the 720s with all the distance between the cars Smiley

The Huracan had a bad start, from 0-140 kph, it is a car hard to beat for the 720 S. Smiley

Also, have you heard about that miraculous power loss of the 720S when it is very hot? Smiley Which brings me back to my earlier (conspiracy) theory that McLaren uses all "tricks" in the engineering book to achieve record acceleration numbers (under ideal conditions).

This and BiTiurbo's post are completely new to me.Smiley  Have Ferrari had the same problems?  Or was it just brakes with them? 

At my track, I have rarely seen a Viper that didn't dump all of its coolant in the paddock...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Total nonsense about miraculous power loss when it's hot for the 720S. The guy from dragtimes is running 10s at 141 mph in Florida with temps showing 100+. He's probably among the most reputable out there when it comes to real world tests and he has no bias whatsoever.

Heat soak is a problem for most turbo cars. High ambient temps may not affect a single run too much but it quckly becomes an issue if you do repeated runs or laps. Just a fact of life.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

noone1:

Strangely you're the only one that claims it also.

I'm the second one... LOL I hear lots of track stories about power losses, especially with turbo charged cars but never heard a similar story about a 991 Turbo S for example. Some car manufacturers put a lot of development work into thermodynamics, others don't. Fact is: There must be a reason why a 570 hp 570S is over 3-5 seconds faster from 0-300 kph than a 991.2 Turbo S but at the same time, on a hot summer day, the 570 S almost can't keep up with a 991.2 Turbo S. Weird? Not really. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    noone1:

Strangely you're the only one that claims it also.

I'm the second one... LOL I hear lots of track stories about power losses, especially with turbo charged cars but never heard a similar story about a 991 Turbo S for example. Some car manufacturers put a lot of development work into thermodynamics, others don't. Fact is: There must be a reason why a 570 hp 570S is over 3-5 seconds faster from 0-300 kph than a 991.2 Turbo S but at the same time, on a hot summer day, the 570 S almost can't keep up with a 991.2 Turbo S. Weird? Not really. 

Without having tested it my suspicion would be that the McLaren engines have more reserves not less than Porsche's turbo engines. Including the GT2RS even. Porsche is just at the very end of what is possible with these small 6 cylinder engines. The McLaren has a much more scalable engine concept. Looking at the 720s I also feel it hard to imagine that this highly innovative, completely new design should not take best care of thermodynamics. They have a much better basis than Porsche with the 911.

In summary, based on these logical considerations, my bet would be that the 720s is more durable under extreme situations than the GT2RS. But only time will tell. 

It has something to do with thermodynamics, many high performance cars just reduce power (boost pressure, mapping parameters, etc.) to protect the engine but Porsche tries to make the cars run always at 100% (or 99% ), even during extreme driving conditions (extreme heat, extreme air pressure changes, etc.).

I do not say McLaren is worse in this domain but I think they try to maximize power output in the philosophy that it doesn't really matter if power needs to be reduced under (limited) extreme driving conditions. Each company has a different engineering setup philosophy. To be blunt: I wish Porsche would take a more risky road here, truth is that there are seldom 40°C and excessive heat around in Europe for example, so it wouldn't hurt them to squeeze 30-40 hp more out of their (specific) engines to give people enough power. If the engine needs to reduce power then...so be it. I like the McLaren way a bit more to be honest.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

One seems a bit louder, but can't say I'd spend $5000 on the sports exhaust. Standard seems fine. Would probably go aftermarket if it was that important.

RC:

It has something to do with thermodynamics, many high performance cars just reduce power (boost pressure, mapping parameters, etc.) to protect the engine but Porsche tries to make the cars run always at 100% (or 99% ), even during extreme driving conditions (extreme heat, extreme air pressure changes, etc.).

I do not say McLaren is worse in this domain but I think they try to maximize power output in the philosophy that it doesn't really matter if power needs to be reduced under (limited) extreme driving conditions. Each company has a different engineering setup philosophy. To be blunt: I wish Porsche would take a more risky road here, truth is that there are seldom 40°C and excessive heat around in Europe for example, so it wouldn't hurt them to squeeze 30-40 hp more out of their (specific) engines to give people enough power. If the engine needs to reduce power then...so be it. I like the McLaren way a bit more to be honest.

I don't expect a Porsche to perform any better under extreme conditions. In contrast it might be true that the Porsche engine is done quicker given its limitations in concept Smiley McLaren might already be leading here as well, who knows. Porsche is limited by concept. McLaren has been building everything for ideal for performance...

One is built for consistent performance across most conditions, one is built for a one lap/run wonder.

I see the results first hand at my track this summer.

There is only one other car that did more laps than my ClubSport at my track this summer in high heat, my ClubSport is bullet proof, only destroyed 4 sets of Pirelli slicks and the brake pads and brake discs are still the ones that shipped from the factory last Sept. It consumed 1 quart of oil outside of the tires and it has 3000km on the clock.

That said car is a 991 GT3RS. It goes through 1 sets of Hoosiers R7 every 2 days, and 1 complete set of brake pads every 5. 

Neither was parked for any reason outside of running out of fuel or driver wanting a rest.

--

So what happens at Pure McLaren events? All the cars just break down and no one has ever said anything?

Whoopsy:

One is built for consistent performance across most conditions, one is built for a one lap/run wonder.

I see the results first hand at my track this summer.

There is only one other car that did more laps than my ClubSport at my track this summer in high heat, my ClubSport is bullet proof, only destroyed 4 sets of Pirelli slicks and the brake pads and brake discs are still the ones that shipped from the factory last Sept. It consumed 1 quart of oil outside of the tires and it has 3000km on the clock.

That said car is a 991 GT3RS. It goes through 1 sets of Hoosiers R7 every 2 days, and 1 complete set of brake pads every 5. 

Neither was parked for any reason outside of running out of fuel or driver wanting a rest.

Of course, Porsche cars are reliable on track. The above was directed at the discussion about extreme heat and engine performance in these conditions. I.e. the question was: which engine produces more consistent power under such conditions Smiley

MKSGR:

Of course, Porsche cars are reliable on track. The above was directed at the discussion about extreme heat and engine performance in these conditions. I.e. the question was: which engine produces more consistent power under such conditions Smiley

Smiley

maac.JPG

IMG_6690.JPG

MKSGR:
    RC:

I don't expect a Porsche to perform any better under extreme conditions. In contrast it might be true that the Porsche engine is done quicker given its limitations in concept Smiley McLaren might already be leading here as well, who knows. Porsche is limited by concept. McLaren has been building everything for ideal for performance...

I think Porsche limits themselves without a particular (logical) reason.

They also try to mix all kind of "features" nobody actually cares about: If I'd care about emissions or whatever, I wouldn't get a sportscar. Smiley Porsche needs to excel in the engineering department and to build a car like the 720S (or even the 650S for that matter). So far, the GT2 RS doesn't impress me at all. Sorry. The 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Edition even less. I hope they change things with the 992 and especially with the rumored 960. Time to give McLaren and Co. a run for their money but so far, I am not impressed by Porsche engineering and/or products, sorry to say that. Also, if they offer a 960 with 720S performance at 300k, I will switch to McLaren (or whatever other brand with a similar performance/value ratio). Audi seems to have exited the sportscar game, which is sad but it was to be expected.

--

BiTurbo:
    MKSGR:

Smiley

Wrong image perhaps?

f1-spanish-gp-2017-fernando-alonso-mclaren-mcl32-parks-up-with-engine-troubles.jpg

Smiley

--

Knock out! smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Whoopsy:
    BiTurbo:
    MKSGR:

Smiley

Wrong image perhaps?

f1-spanish-gp-2017-fernando-alonso-mclaren-mcl32-parks-up-with-engine-troubles.jpg

Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

Veyron/918 levels of acceleration in the 1/2 mile. LF and P1 might be a little quicker, not sure what those do offhand.

cannot wait for our testride next week kiss

Talked to a friend of mine today and he had taken the 720 for a spin. Very fast and actually very comfortable he said. Like a Porsche S in a way he described it. I need to try it myself. But on the other hand,he bought a McLaren this summer, so he might be influenced by that car in his view on any McLaren., since the car he bought was a P1 GTR.....angel

Dragtimes said 60-130 was 5.4 and 100-150 was 5.4s. For reference a 918 was .1s quicker.

I hear whispers about something bad about the 720s. Anyone know what they are?

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Bad how? 

Heres where i heard my rumors from. Him and PH.com

https://youtu.be/uIdug5IkkaQ?t=6m24s

Probably nothing. People asked him what he meant and he didn't reply. Sounds like nonsense.

So many words without substance, I had to turn it off after a minute. mail

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

flippers who think when they get a early Slot can drive free of Charge for the first 5000 km......

they probably don't even have the funds to keep the car....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM