Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

More information on the Blue Devil

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoins...ning-phase.html

It appears the car made the cut. I do not understand how this car can be driven on the street. Hopefully it will be equipped with all the electronic safety devices available. Lutz seems to hint that.

Re: More information on the Blue Devil

Quote:
    nberry said:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoins...ning-phase.html

It appears the car made the cut. I do not understand how this car can be driven on the street. Hopefully it will be equipped with all the electronic safety devices available. Lutz seems to hint that.

Very carefully?

With 650 bhp it will be hard to resist.

The current Z06 is already tempting enough. With this new "animal" out on the streets, I might seriously have to expand my garage !

Quote:
    krown05 said:
    The current Z06 is already tempting enough. With this new "animal" out on the streets, I might seriously have to expand my garage !

You owe it to yourself to test drive a Z06.

I did it about a month ago and it seriously change my point of view about the Corvette.

I don't know about the SS/Blue Devil but the base Z06 to me is an unbelievable performer.

It's going to be hard to get your hands on. If it will be larger than 7.0 liter, I would imagine a return to the enourmous 454 motor. It is already proven that you can stroke and sleeve a small block all alluminum motor to 454ci and still rev to 7000rpm. Can't imagine the tran/rear combo that will have to handle this monster

Did you read the part where Lutz says the chief engine guy allows " maybe the second year " for 700+ hp for this car ? That's gotta mean over 650 hp first year , in a 2900 lb car .I'm sure there will be significant electronic TQ management in the lower gears just to keep the car going straight.

Ridiculous move made by a desperate near bankrupt car manufacturer. Not a car for street driving unless dumb down by permanent electronic aids.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    krown05 said:

You owe it to yourself to test drive a Z06.

I did it about a month ago and it seriously change my point of view about the Corvette.

I don't know about the SS/Blue Devil but the base Z06 to me is an unbelievable performer.

Indeed! I have been toying around with the idea of test driving one. After reading this, I think I'm going to go for it!

I think the Z06 with 505hp at $65k is a much better deal than this car at $100k if all they did is add 150hp. I hope they have made some pretty dramatic gains in suspension, brakes and gearbox to justify the expense...

The Blue Devil. The first or second year motor could be the new 455cu inch DOHC all alluminum V8 engine that makes 700hp without a supercharger and can safely rev to 8700rpm plus.

They also have a new automatic transmission coming. Its not a PDK or DSG. It is a new 7spd that uses British(!)patented technology for less power loss and quicker/smoother shifts.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    They also have a new automatic transmission coming. Its not a PDK or DSG. It is a new 7spd that uses British(!)patented technology for less power loss and quicker/smoother shifts.

Same as the X-1 supersonic plane - British technology .

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Ridiculous move made by a desperate near bankrupt car manufacturer. Not a car for street driving unless dumb down by permanent electronic aids.

Yeah , they should keep it at a sane 350 hp for a $90-100K car, like Porsche, who care so much for our personal safety that their motto should be " Safe and Sane Sportiv " , right ?.That's why they'd rather protect you from yourself by having you spend your $$$ on their 20 pages of optional leather bits for the interior . ( The Carrera GT never happened - it's a figment of our collective mass hysteria ) . I'm sure the market agrees with you and that these cars will sell for $75K instead of $100K MSRP just to clear them from stacking up at the dealerships. People hate high horsepower - that's so crude ..so adolescently "Americun" - where are the diesel and hybrid nimble Ferraris , 911s and Lambo where it's all about HANDLING ?? We want them now .

I'm really looking forward to this car. I absolutely fell in love with the performance of the Z06 last summer, but unfortunately the rest of the car didn't impress as much - the interior started falling apart pretty soon.

My favorite quote, "Its a very difficult vehicle development. This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelop that we have never explored before". Should be interesting.. And hard to get at only 1500 per yr. production.

Quote:
    ocnatv said:
    My favorite quote, "Its a very difficult vehicle development. This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelop that we have never explored before".

Translation: "We don't really have the know-needed to safely bring this car to market".

i know this isn't the blue devil, but its freakin HAWT! Pics are from ebay. BTW, does any one know if the z06 roof issue has been fixed and whether there are any other major problems that people are facing?

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    i know this isn't the blue devil, but its freakin HAWT! Pics are from ebay. BTW, does any one know if the z06 roof issue has been fixed and whether there are any other major problems that people are facing?

The Z06 roof issues certainly have been fixed. Mine was fine but the dealership wanted to replace the roof anyway. Viola I have a new roof

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:

Who needs a roof?

Fritz at least GM will require a driver training class before the car can be purchased AND will equip the car with all the electronic stability devices available.

BTW anyone who thinks cars with this performance envelope should not be "dumbed down" with ESM is out of their mind. Actually, the issue is moot since starting in 2010 all cars in the US must have them.

It will be a blast for sure. But do you really want that kind of car on the road?

Seriously, who is going to buy it?

I wish it was people who could drive it, but I am afraid it will be geared toward younger crazy drivers. Prove me wrong for our safety though.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    It will be a blast for sure. But do you really want that kind of car on the road?

I wish it was people who could drive it, but I am afraid it will be geared toward younger crazy drivers. Prove me wrong for our safety though.

Most Vette Z06 buyers are in their 40s/50s and have owned high powered cars for years . You and your family should worry more about the 17 y/o's weaving in and out of freeway traffic , usually in packs of 3 or 4 , in their fart exhaust beaters paid for by flipping burgers at McDonalds showing how " Micheal Schumacher " they are .

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Same people whould buy a 650hp Enzo, Carrera GT, Saleen S7...It's funny how everyone says this car is outrageous and just TOO much for the road, but I have never heard a negative comment about the 1000hp Veyron having too much power. What about the FXX...only praise.

Power is good if the rest of the package is developed accordingly. If the car hanldes as good as the current Z06, they are starting at a very good place.

I love the folks who talk bad about a car that hasn't even been developed!

Enzo and such type of buyers don't go as crazy with the cars. They should be more responsible on the roads. Also there aren't that many and are driven seldomly.

The Z06 handles well, but this is 145 more HP on a two wheel drive $100k car. There is a reason all the other car mentionned cost $300k+

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Enzo and such type of buyers don't go as crazy with the cars. They should be more responsible on the roads.

You must not have heard about all the Enzo crashes and other very expensive exotics getting wrecked lately. Sure, at "only" $100K the super performance will be available to a larger audience, but I think there's plenty of proof that the ultra rich crowd aren't automatically equipped with better judgment.

Sadly true. But think that you probably hear about all of these accident types.

And , as an example, if suddenly socially responsible car dealers in LA stopped selling 500-600+hp sports cars and AMG cars to all those well qualified drivers who are the 20-30 y/o rappers , " stars " , and bimbo hangers on ( who we all know never touch evil drugs or liquor ) , development of these models would cease around the world.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Enzo and such type of buyers don't go as crazy with the cars. They should be more responsible on the roads. .

This is stupid. Why wouldn't they "go crazy"? I think all you are doing is stereotyping, and you've done a poor job at covering it up. Those who can afford a $100k+ car in my opinion are not much different than someone who can afford a $300k.

This car is going to be well sorted for sure. The powertrain is fully developed and now they are fine tuning the chassis. For sure it will have all the added driving aids like the current Z06.
    As for other added equipment to handle the extra power: There have been pics of a supercharged "test mule" that clearly showed carbon/ceramic rotors. GM has applied for a patent for CCRs also.
    As for the roof issue: mine has been re-glued prior to take-off. It wasn't even loose from the start, but all the affected cars were recalled and they used a different adhesive.
    This is going to be one hell of a performance bargain at $100K+. Nothing will touch it for the money.

Quote:
    01Box06Z06 said:This is going to be one hell of a performance bargain at $100K+. Nothing will touch it for the money.

Certainly, nothing can touch the Z06 for $65k, but for $100k, I think a well spec'd Noble among other smaller specialty cars might be pretty close (and offer a more rewarding driving experience)...

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Enzo and such type of buyers don't go as crazy with the cars. They should be more responsible on the roads. .

This is stupid. Why wouldn't they "go crazy"? I think all you are doing is stereotyping, and you've done a poor job at covering it up. Those who can afford a $100k+ car in my opinion are not much different than someone who can afford a $300k.

I agree with you. I think more enthusiasts will be able to afford almost CGT-like performance for much less cash. Granted, there will be a few boy racers with too much cash, but the car doesn't scare me. If 500 bhp in the Z06, Turbo and the 430 doesn't worry people, why should 650?.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776883 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85141 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5527 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM