Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

unwanted attention

I am considering an F430 F1 and wondered what sort of unwanted attention you F430 owners suffer. Also, any opinions on what colours to pick if you want to minimise unwanted attention. I am thinking grigio silverstone.

The dealer tells me that this car does not get keyed no matter where you leave it.

Is this car also immune to theft, ie because they stand out so much in which case best to go for red?

My worst fear is of attracting unsavoury types following me home.

Dealer thinks the only problem I may not like is kids taking pics with mobile phones which would not bother me.

Re: unwanted attention

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    I am considering an F430 F1 and wondered what sort of unwanted attention you F430 owners suffer. Also, any opinions on what colours to pick if you want to minimise unwanted attention. I am thinking grigio silverstone.

The dealer tells me that this car does not get keyed no matter where you leave it.

Is this car also immune to theft, ie because they stand out so much in which case best to go for red?

Dealer thinks the only problem I may not like is kids taking pics with mobile phones which would not bother me.

The F430 gets a lot of attention, no matter where or when you drive it. In red the situation surely gets worse, since this is the classical Ferrari colour, but to think you can go stealth in a grey F430 is self-deception. The sound of the engine/exhaust alone attracts people everywhere.

If you want a relatively discreet colour, go for black or grigio silverstone, the latter is something like the new fashion colour for new Ferrari.

Concerning theft, I know of at least one Challenge Stradale (which is even more flashy than the F430), which got stolen during the Racing Days in Germany last year and yes, this car was rosso corsa.

What types of attraction you must consider are the following:

- people staring and shouting at you when you drive by
    - people taking pics of you car
    - people gazing (often with their fingers) at your car when parked
    - people asking you questions about the car when you park it or stop at a filling station
    - people closing the gap behind you rapidly when you go for a ride (because they want to be as near to a Ferrari as they can get)

All of these points are relatively trouble-free, the only problem is the last thing. They don't want to hassle you, they just want to get as near as they can to the Ferrari driving in front of them, just to gaze at the car and so they are closing the gap as much as they can. This sometimes leads to situations where you think they just get too close.
    A touch of the accelerator will solve the problem, but sometimes there is no space to go in front of you.

You don't drive an F-car expecting to sneak around. It's best not to let it out of your sight and keep an eye on the rear view mirror for anything suspicious. Silverstone will be far less noticeable. The only way to be somewhat comfortable is drive in areas where you see lots of other exotics. If there's the least bit of question just take your daily driver. Have fun.

good advice - thanks. I'm not tempted by the Rosso Corsa but the car I test drove today was Rosso Scuderia - a beautiful orange red colour that I think is used on the challenge(?) It looked stunning in this colour and I'm tempted to go for it above the silverstone. I also saw a black spider which was jaw dropping with the roof down. When clean I suspect this colour will be more striking than red.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    You don't drive an F-car expecting to sneak around. It's best not to let it out of your sight and keep an eye on the rear view mirror for anything suspicious. Silverstone will be far less noticeable. The only way to be somewhat comfortable is drive in areas where you see lots of other exotics. If there's the least bit of question just take your daily driver. Have fun.

I don't agree with this at all. If anything I find that the motoring public respects the car as much as you do. Yes, the will go out of their way to look at it (most ask even before looking) but never have I experienced anyone touching it. I have owned several Ferrari's none of which have been vandalized or in any way violated. However, there will be many pictures taken including while your driving on the road.

Undertand that the Ferrari is more than a car. It is a work of art which not many see and when they do they are blown away not only because of its styling but its sound and road presence. It is an event to see one on the road. Thus, the attention.

BTW, Rossi's post is right on the money.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    good advice - thanks. I'm not tempted by the Rosso Corsa but the car I test drove today was Rosso Scuderia - a beautiful orange red colour that I think is used on the challenge(?) It looked stunning in this colour and I'm tempted to go for it above the silverstone. I also saw a black spider which was jaw dropping with the roof down. When clean I suspect this colour will be more striking than red.

My car is Rosso Scuderia Much nicer than Rosso Corsa IMO. It definately stands out more too!

Really depends upon where one lives/works/how one uses car....

Even 599 is not very low-profile (even in mundane grigio silverstone) in jaded places like Greenwich/SF....(recently, there were 2 grigio silverstone 599s parked in front of FourSeasonsSiliconValley on a mellow Sun PM...apparently, owners (who are regulars at FS) were just getting a quick bite at the bar )

Know many repeat F buyers (incl a couple guys who each already have two new 599s at primary/wkend houses) who drive '07 CL600/SL65 around 90% of time, b/c, though new F are about as daily-useable as any P/MB, they find a new 600/65 far safer and lower-key for daily use.....

VKSF,
    Still waiting for pics of your 599...
    I'd love to check out Silverstone grey in the sunlight.
    Thanks in advance!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    VKSF,
    Thanks in advance!

I second that

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    VKSF,
    Thanks in advance!

I second that

Me three.

I didn't like Rosso Scuderia when I saw it first. Looked orange next to Rosso corsa.
    But now, standing alone, I'd take Scuderia, especially for a V8 model!
    Stunning!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    I didn't like Rosso Scuderia when I saw it first. Looked orange next to Rosso corsa.
    Stunning!

Yes, I was also always for Rosso Corsa - but once I saw Scuderia in person there was no other option

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Stunning!

Yes, I was also always for Rosso Corsa - but once I saw Scuderia in person there was no other option

Ahhh, c'mon, give me corsa any time.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Stunning!

you can have all the corsa's you want - scuderia for me

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Stunning!

you can have all the corsa's you want - scuderia for me

Deal!

And then we'll go for a ride...

I agree with the comments made earlier by Rossi and nberry.

I don't have a Ferrari or a Lamborghini but my view (based on owning a 911 and seeing other people's reaction to Ferraris and Lamborghinis on the street) is that Ferraris and Lamborghinis are certainly more of an attention-grabber than my Porsche so what I have to say is even more true of, relatively speaking, more 'exotic' cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Choosing the colour should be about what pleases you. Keeping it low-key may be a factor for you but should IMHO be no more than a small factor, never IMHO the main one. Otherwise you'll be choosing a colour to suit the possible actions of others rather than because of the joy you will feel.

I would add one more factor that you should consider. The views expressed here are from people in the USA or Italy or Germany etc etc. Sure, they share certain security concerns BUT you are in the UK and these issues manifest themselves LOCALLY. You need to focus on the fact that you are in the UK. Indeed, where you are WITHIN the UK is crucial. I would exercise great care where I took a F430 in the UK. In certain places, you'll no doubt be absolutely fine. In others, after parking somewhere for a few hours, you might be lucky if there are wheels left. I would say that you should just use your common sense about car security erring towards the cautious side.

But it does depend heavily on where you are. In many parts of London, people make no fuss at all about my 911. They are literally everywhere in some areas. In certain parts of London (e.g. Kensington, Mayfair), Ferraris and Lamborghinis are fairly common - it's no 'rare event' seeing one). However, when you leave the affluent parts of major cities and 'home counties' towns/villages, even seeing a Boxster can be a major event (let alone a Ferrari or a Lamborghini). It's all relative!

I think the scratching/vandalism risk is that much greater in the UK than elsewhere. I think British thugs are just worse than those elsewhere.

Other than that - many congrats - wish you much joy!

Oh BTW your dealer is a buffoon if he says that your car won't get keyed no matter where you leave it. Try Moss Side in Manchester, St Paul's in Bristol for starters. Cars don't just get keyed there. They get torched.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I think the scratching/vandalism risk is that much greater in the UK than elsewhere. I think British thugs are just worse than those elsewhere.

Unfortunately that is not true.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:

Pink Panther... I live in South Ken SW7 and F cars and Lambos are parked on the street overnight without any problem. However, just up the road by Hyde Park I used to regularly see a Grigio Silvertone 360 which had been keyed badly and had its Ferrari badge repeatedly stolen!

You have to be careful wherever you park and some areas are worse than others. Personally I would take an understated colour (Grigio Silvertone looks great) so it's no so obvious, but also because the typical "Rosso red/cream" combo often promotes the "stereotypical" Londoner response IMO, which is not good...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:

I have owned several Ferrari's none of which have been vandalized or in any way violated. However, there will be many pictures taken including while your driving on the road.

This guy doesn't give the full story as to why he hasn't had any problems and I'm sure trying to oversimplify. He probably parks in familiar areas that are frequented by exotics etc. and or has someone watch the car including himself. These cars attract attention and if you're not careful you'll wind up with things that will irritate you. Plenty of stories of vandalism on F-chat, no matter where you live. Just trying to give you an idea of the reality of things. Some people are more carefree as they figure it's only a car and they can just get things fixed. It depends on you.

BTW, Scuderia is the F-team color. Enjoy your new ride.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:

Is the car unstealable - well interestingly I think the insurance firms must think so, because I pay less for my 430 than I do for my X5
    Where are you in the UK?
    I ask because it is often mentioned that people in London/SE have no problems with cars, but the situation is different in other parts of the country
    I commute into London each day in either my 430 or Gallardo Spyder (which are Red and Yellow) and have never had any problems - apart from being pestered by Big Issue sellers

Did you cancel the GT3 or is this car to compliment it?

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=329879&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

If you want to make sure your car isn't damaged, don't carry female passengers. They generally have no idea how far the door will swing or how gravity works to assist the process. Other cars, walls... they aren't fussy what they hit. And then they look at you with that 'What?' look.

easyrider_911,

Your right - I should pick colour for me first and not let others affect my decision.

traxx,
    I live in Manchester/Cheshire but wouild never leave the car in a risky area.

ISUK,
    I cancelled the GT3 recently after much deliberation. I had to place an order to get a test drive at Millbrook prooving ground. Porsche Wilmslow were kind enough to allow me a refundable deposit.

Choosing cars is bloody hard work but cant grumble since the rewards are there. Do others stew for days about the right model/spec/colour etc or is it just me?

Thanks to all for excellent advice - what an excellent board.

"Choosing cars is bloody hard work but cant grumble since the rewards are there. Do others stew for days about the right model/spec/colour etc or is it just me?

We all agonize over color and options. Never, at least with me, the model. For an example, with my recent 430 Spider, I went from Grigio silver, to Silverstone to Yellow. It is all part of the fun in buying a limited production car. You will bond with the car like you never have before. It is intoxicating.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    "Choosing cars is bloody hard work but cant grumble since the rewards are there. Do others stew for days about the right model/spec/colour etc or is it just me?

We all agonize over color and options. Never, at least with me, the model. For an example, with my recent 430 Spider, I went from Grigio silver, to Silverstone to Yellow. It is all part of the fun in buying a limited production car. You will bond with the car like you never have before. It is intoxicating.

I definitely think you've made the right choice with the yellow for the Spider. Saw a grigio Silverstone Spider and didn't really like it all that much (oddly enough, I liked the Coupe of the same colour, parked right next to it ).

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I definitely think you've made the right choice with the yellow for the Spider. Saw a grigio Silverstone Spider and didn't really like it all that much (oddly enough, I liked the Coupe of the same colour, parked right next to it ).

Yellow surely looks great at a Ferrari!

I have to admit I was getting a little confused as you had talked about a 997 GT3, 997 C4S and a Gallardo before. I thought you were splashing out on a whole new collection

If you can't make your mind up completely it may be worth thinking about joining one of the supercar clubs like P1 etc. That way you'll get seat time in a whole host of different cars and can decide which one really suits your needs best. Quite a few people are switching to that method as it can work out as a cost effective option when you take depreciation and low usage of your own "toy" into account. As far as attention goes I previously had a rosso corsa 360 modena which did not attract as much attention as my Gallardo does. I'm not sure your dealer is being entirely straight about being able to leave a Ferrari anywhere though. If you get one you'll end up becoming paranoid about where you park it, trust me

I believe Rosso Scuderia is the color of the F1 team since the Marlboro sponsorship of the mid 1990s. I believe they use it because it fluoresces more on TV. Rosso Corso is the earlier red of the 1960s-1980s F1 cars. In the IMS museum they have a 1948 Ferrari race car, and it's much, much closer to what we'd call maroon.

The brightest color I've ever seen in my life is Jordan yellow, used on their 2003-2004 F1 car. It makes Ferrari yellow look sedate. The Jordan yellow doesn't photograph well, it just looks yellow, but in person when in the sun, it's brilliant.

Jim

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I have to admit I was getting a little confused as you had talked about a 997 GT3, 997 C4S and a Gallardo before. I thought you were splashing out on a whole new collection

If you can't make your mind up completely it may be worth thinking about joining one of the supercar clubs like P1 etc. That way you'll get seat time in a whole host of different cars and can decide which one really suits your needs best. Quite a few people are switching to that method as it can work out as a cost effective option when you take depreciation and low usage of your own "toy" into account. As far as attention goes I previously had a rosso corsa 360 modena which did not attract as much attention as my Gallardo does. I'm not sure your dealer is being entirely straight about being able to leave a Ferrari anywhere though. If you get one you'll end up becoming paranoid about where you park it, trust me

Sadly I dont have the funds or garage space for my own personal fleet.
    I've considered a lot of options including P1, had quite a few test drives and finally made my mind up. I've just said yes to an F430 in Rosso Scuderia. The hard part is not having a GT3 or Gallardo and parting with my 911 Cab. I'm sure the F430 will wipe away my tears. Will collect middle of next week and post my initial findings and pics here soon after.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759713 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433804 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259753 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80606 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870730 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805770 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM