Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Trading a 996 Turbo for a GT3 Cup Car

I am considering selling my Turbo and buying a used GT3 Cup Car which I would then modify to be street legal. I would probably do this in about one year's time. I'm curious what people think of this idea.

I would take the Cup Car and install a stock GT3 engine (not much less power than the Cup engine with much better longevity and of course much cheaper). I would then raise the ride height a little, put in a hand brake, street lights, etc. With this I should be able to register it for the street here in Europe. I do not think it would take a lot of effort or money to do this.

The end result would be a car that could be driven on the street but obviously wouldn't be something you would ever want to drive to Spain or Istanbul. What I would really have would be a car that would be perfect for Nürburgring and for track-days in general. The car could also be driven locally provided I was willing to put up with a firm suspension and more difficult ingress (which I am).

Here is my reasoning:

1) We will likely loose our diplomatic plates in a year. Without the diplomatic plates it is going to be much harder to survive with the Turbo even here in Europe. One ticket above 200 km/h in many of these countries and I will loose my driving privileges. The situation is worse in the USA and England.
    2) I've already done the long-distance cruising thing. I've already taken the Turbo to just about everywhere in Europe and beyond. If I ship the Turbo to the USA for a while (which I am likely to do) it will become even more true that I have used it to its fullest.
    3) The Turbo is a valuable car and a depreciating asset. The longer I keep it the less it is going to be worth.
    4) I worry about having to pay for maintenance on the Turbo once the warranty has expired. It is a very complex car and engine. If anything major goes it won't be cheap to fix.

But on the other hand,

1) The Cup car is an amazing machine perfectly set up for absolute speed in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Even with a stock GT3 engine, the power is almost that of a Turbo but unlike a Turbo the power is immediate. The car is much lighter and more responsive. The car is also much safer with a proper race seat, harnesses and a factory installed full welded roll cage. in short, it is the better car for going uncompromisingly fast. http://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/cms/Vertrieb.nsf/gbrenglish/rennfahrzeugegt3cup
    2) I would have the absolute ultimate driving street machine.
    3) The prices on these cars can be quite cheap at the end of the season when the teams have done with them.
    4) This car would likely *not* depreciate further. If anything, it would go up in price. Think of it as something that would be more limited than the limited production RS models and more wicked than any RS too. The car will surely become a very desirable item -- especially given that it is a car with street plates on it.
    5) Provided I buy it before our posting ends I should be able to get it tax-free (most are owned by businesses and they would normally have to sell it to a private party plus VAT).
    6) It would be relatively easy to put the car back into full racing trim should I decide I wanted to do historic racing in my old age or whatever.
    7) This would be the perfect car to hone my driving skills further (I can only go so far with the relatively soft and heavy Turbo -- ultimately it is still just a street car).
    8) I could never register the car in the USA but should be able to bring it in as a temporary one-year import or else as a dedicated track car.
    9) This is a car that I could keep and use for a very long time -- maybe a lifetime.

Curious what people think? Do you think this is all totally nuts??

Anyone have any guesses as to what this would cost? I'm guessing that I could buy the car at the end of the season, get a used GT3 engine and make the necessary modifications for less than I could get for my Turbo.

S.

Re: Trading a 996 Turbo for a GT3 Cup Car

Wouldn't it be easier (and maybe cheaper) to buy a GT3 and modify it to a Cup Car?
    Do you know how much a GT3 engine costs?
    On the street, you won't be happy with a GT3 Cup Car, maybe not even with a GT3.
    Your arguments against the Turbo are well founded but do you really think you'll drive slower in a race car?

Stephen, the "perfection syndrome" got you: the Turbo is too perfect, sometimes it gets boring. Only solution: selling it and buying something more "emotional" or modifying it to your needs. Selling it and buying a GT3 might not be the best solution if you ask me. But I guess you didn't ask, right ?!

Another solution might be to buy a car for everyday driving (like the Mercedes E55 AMG for example) and seperately buying a car for the track like a Caterham, Lotus, etc.

Talk to your wife, she might give you some ideas too (at least she knows you very well, right?!).

Stephen, 911 & Porsche magazine has an article aimed right at you. It is called "The Long Way Home." A gentlleman by the name of Richard Long bought a 911 GT3 and transformed it into a street legal GT3R. Long article with a lot of information.

Sorry Stephen, it is issue number 100.

Article

Hi CJ,

Thanx for the reference. Actually, I've read that article. He does a good job.

The basic problem with that approach is weight. If you start with the GT3 you cannot end up with a car as light as the Cup car. Also there are suspension differences. Finally, the Cup car has a built-in welded cage whcih is done at the factory. Difficult to duplicate that.

Then there is the issue of price. I actually think it will be cheaper and easier to start with a used Cup car at the end of the season and then make it street legal. There isn't a lot to do. But if you work the other way around you start with quite an expensive car and then you've got to change a lot on it.

And finally there is the pedegree. If you start with a GT3 Club Sport that is all you will have when you are finished. But a road-going Cup car is relatively rare. I think it could be quite valuable down the road.

S.

I agree ...

I agree RC that I wouldn't have that perfect time machine of a Turbo that can eat 1000 km before noon.

I think I would be a fool if I thought that I could make a GT3 or something of its ilk do what my Turbo does. In a sense this is a recognition that my needs are changing. I am also foolish if I try to use the Turbo as a GT3 Club Sport might be used.

No, I'm not about to slow down. But I might start driving faster in shorter spurts. (No sex jokes please!)

I would need a second car. I'm thinking that the next generation M5 could be it though I haven't heard enough about it yet. And yes, I will feel like a bit of an old man driving it.

S.

Re: I agree ...

In reply to:
    But I might start driving faster in shorter spurts. (No sex jokes please!)

You're lucky you mentioned it.

A 360 Modena may be what you need. Though not as

fast as the turbo it is certainly infinitely more exciting to drive. The cost for a used one would probably be less than what you would pay for a modified GT3.

Price for GT3 engine.

This was prices in 2000.

Here are German engine retail prices:

996 GT3 Cup 51000 euros

GT3 35750 euros

996TT 44000 euros

996 8200 euros (300 Hp)

All prices are for MY 2000 manual gearbox version

Re: Price for GT3 engine.

Thanks J.!

Yes, "horror" prices as I call them.
    One reason why I always keep my warning finger up when it comes to engine tuning, especially "cheap" low quality tuning.
    44000 EUR are around 43000 USD...engine ONLY. Ouch.

To Nick: yes, this is what I told Stephen too. Two choices: buying a Ferrari or modifying the Turbo.

Yes but these are factory new prices. I don't think anyone would really pay this price. I'd be more than happy with an engine out of a GT3 that had crashed. At this point I don't think that there is a shortage of GT3 engines. I would figure prices at about half this level.

If the car came with a Cup engine then trading down I would be ahead. But more than likely it would just be a roller (car without engine).

S.

360 Modena

I'd also thought about the 360 Modena as an alternative.

Ferrari sells the 360 Modena cheap to those entering them in the race series. I presume that they too would be willing to sell the cars off cheap at the end of the season. The only thing is that it doesn't appear that there is much to be gained from going this route (as compared to the Porsche where the Cup car is quite an improvement over the standard GT3). But maybe I am missing something? I don't know a lot about this series or what is done to the cars.

Maybe this is blasphemy but it appears to me that the 360 Modena in stock form is a great street car but probably not that well suited to survival on the track.

S.

Well, never saw a used, out of a crashed GT3 or whatsoever GT3 engine below 25000 EUR.

Fixed Wing, I agree with you. I have bought a new case, GT3R Crankshaft, GT1 Oil Pump, Ruf Titanium Steel Rods, GT3 Cup heads, valves and lifters, GT3R valve springs, Woosner 102 mm pistons, liners, wrist pins and rings for just under $18,000.00 US. There is no way I will need $20,000 to assemble the motor. Some of the parts used are far more expensive than the comparible GT3 Cup parts. All these parts are new and all are genuine Porsche parts with the exception of the Woosner 102 mm piston/liner kit.

RUF titanium steel rods are genuine Porsche parts?

My sense was you have lost enjoyment of driving a sport

car on city streets and highways. You have power but no place to use it. I have driven both the TT and Modena (I own a 996 Cab. and 360 Spider) and found the Modena provides you with excitement driving at 25mph or 125mph.

You feel you are driving a race car. The Porche though powerful is relatively tame and frankly boring unless you are pushing it to the limits. I have absolutely no sense of racing car feel.

The Challenge series 360 is quite a car which I know nothing about other than to say it is quite a bit more expensive and has rather limited use compare to the factory 360. However Luigi has posted his observations regarding the GT2 and the Modena which is worth reading.

Doesn't the GT3 motor have titanium rods?

Titanium rods

The first GT3 had NO titanium rods, they've been added later on during the GT3 production cycle. The RUF titanium rods are NOT used by Porsche. Porsche does not support Tuners or manufacturers of modified Porsche cars.

Titanium rods have advantages on race cars (durability) but no real advantages on street cars (the titanium material is good for short hard racing but not for an engine life period of several years).

Re: Titanium rods

RC, Is it not true when Ruf builds a motor over 520 hp they use their tutanium rods? Also isn't their warranty one year or 100,000 miles?

I don't know what RUF does but RS-Tuning, Sportec, Techart, Gemballa and other Tuners aren't using titanium rods on their engines. Unless it is needed for track racing or the customer wants it. BTW: as far as I know, RUF doesn't use the titanium rods on their 996 Turbo R, just if the customer wants it. I might be wrong though.

You have a private messagen, cjv.

The Ruf Turbo R does not exceed 520 hp. I wouldn't expect the other tuners to be using Ruf parts.

Re: Tuners

RC, in your above post you mentioned many famous tuners. One name you did not mention was TTP. Do you consider them in the same class as the ones you called out by name?

Re: Tuners

You have private mail.

Re: Titanium rods - RUF

RUF does not use titanium rods (unless explicitly ordered by the customer).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781251 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442663 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263400 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261737 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85863 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5936 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881497 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819135 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM