Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8THqP4fGyA0

--

991 GT3 RS / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

GoHardGT3RS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8THqP4fGyA0

WTF - Hood is open at 1:22 and at 2:47 it is closed again SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Kreso, any idea what tyre pressures Sport Auto were using in the Supertest?

Friend just had his GTr delivered and we were discussing this. Can't remember where I left my copy of the magazine...

Danke!

Do not have that issue of SA with me (I am on my summer holidays). As far as I remember it is little bit lower then standard.

Funny story: As you guys know, me and my wife are in the market for a C63 S AMG Cab and a GLC63 S SUV. Sales guy already made an offer, not quite happy yet but I hope we are getting there...

Anyway: He told me that if I really get two AMG Mercedes from him, he could get me a GT R for spring 2018 delivery as well. No, I am not tempted (and don't start with "you could resell it...", I didn't do it with the GT2 RS, I certainly won't do it with a GT R) but it is interesting how deals are made. Similar to that "get a Panamera and you get a GT2 RS slot..." kind of deals mentioned in the Porsche forum.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I feel that Mercedes has screwed up big time with the GT R - announcement and delivery are way to far apart and the claimed times being a hypercarslasher are by far not achievable and despite being "sold" Long time ago I predict a huge hit on the aftermarket (like any GT) which surely will not happen to the GT2RS - so two different animals - no surprise that Dealers & flippers are trying to get rid of their allocation.....

RC:

Is it weird that I'm still in love with the old SLS? yes

The SLS looks like an iconic one. The AMG GT doesn't. Whatever R or even coming Black Series or ring time I don't think that will reach this WOW that SLS still has.

3/10th a second off and 10.6 mph short. Compared to laguna seca, not bad at all.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/tesla-model-s-p85d-at-lightning-lap-2016-feature

Haha, found this gem among the Lightning Lap records. 

it was the P85D and not the 100D, but basically the Tesla can only survived 3-4 full throttle event before it neutered itself and enter reduced power mode to protect the batteries, like 40 seconds into the lap. 3 corners. The car went slower around VIR than a Fiat 124 Abarth Spyder and about 10 seconds slower than a BMW M760i, which was already 3 seconds slower than a Alpine B7. 

A big fail if you ask me for a car billed as 'performance' car. The only performance Tesla offers up is drag races from rest, and only for like 3 times in a row.

--

Priceless

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

'By the time the NASCAR bend came up, the brake pedal returned slightly, but by the exit of Snake, about 40 seconds into the lap, the 5010-pound P85D entered a reduced power mode (roughly half of the max). Up to that point, it was on pace with the Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat’s 3:03.5 "

So really, on a normal road, the car would be on par with a Hellcat. If you a ask me, that's pretty damn impressive considering it's on absolute crap tires not even remotely selected for track use, weighs 5000 lbs, and is a giant people moving sedan. Oh, and if you just want to go from 0 - 100, it will best most exotics.

The Model S is definitely a performance sedan, it's just not a track car. In the real world, the S would probably dust most cars from A to B.

If Tesla makes a new roadster, it's going to hurt a lot of supercar feelings.

noone1:

'By the time the NASCAR bend came up, the brake pedal returned slightly, but by the exit of Snake, about 40 seconds into the lap, the 5010-pound P85D entered a reduced power mode (roughly half of the max). Up to that point, it was on pace with the Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat’s 3:03.5 "

So really, on a normal road, the car would be on par with a Hellcat. If you a ask me, that's pretty damn impressive considering it's on absolute crap tires not even remotely selected for track use, weighs 5000 lbs, and is a giant people moving sedan. Oh, and if you just want to go from 0 - 100, it will best most exotics.

The Model S is definitely a performance sedan, it's just not a track car. In the real world, the S would probably dust most cars from A to B.

Hmm no.

A Hellcat can do accelerations until the tank run dry, the car won't neutered itself. 

For a 'giant people moving sedan', the Alpine B7 weights around the same yet run rings around the Tesla, and no fear of overheating batteries.

Btw, Tesla came with Michelin Super Sport tires, not even close to 'crap' tires. 

A Tesla will do a one run wonder of straight line drag, not unlike the super sticky special compound Cup2s from the Z06 on the AMG GT R that will do only one good lap on them. 

And when you mentioned that it will satisfied people only want to do 0-100, you just validated my pov that it is built to satisfied the typical North Americans who only cares for straight line drags.

Tesla never designed their battery pack to be of performance usage, it cannot handle high current draw in and out of it. Unlike the battery pack in the 918 where it was DESIGNED to handle constant high current drain and charging. 

On my track, my 918 will last 2 1/2 lap on battery by itself, then half a lap of high current charging and I got another full power lap in pure electric. Finish that and do another high current charge lap and it will go on forever without breaking down or going into limp mode. Well unless the gas tank runs dry. THAT, is called a battery pack designed for high performance. 

--

noone1:

So really, on a normal road, the car would be on par with a Hellcat.

For a full 40 seconds?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

Hmm no.

A Hellcat can do accelerations until the tank run dry, the car won't neutered itself. 

For a 'giant people moving sedan', the Alpine B7 weights around the same yet run rings around the Tesla, and no fear of overheating batteries.

Btw, Tesla came with Michelin Super Sport tires, not even close to 'crap' tires. 

A Tesla will do a one run wonder of straight line drag, not unlike the super sticky special compound Cup2s from the Z06 on the AMG GT R that will do only one good lap on them. 

And when you mentioned that it will satisfied people only want to do 0-100, you just validated my pov that it is built to satisfied the typical North Americans who only cares for straight line drags.

Tesla never designed their battery pack to be of performance usage, it cannot handle high current draw in and out of it. Unlike the battery pack in the 918 where it was DESIGNED to handle constant high current drain and charging. 

On my track, my 918 will last 2 1/2 lap on battery by itself, then half a lap of high current charging and I got another full power lap in pure electric. Finish that and do another high current charge lap and it will go on forever without breaking down or going into limp mode. Well unless the gas tank runs dry. THAT, is called a battery pack designed for high performance. 

So you drive on a normal road for 40s+ straight as you would on a race track? Full throttle, maximum Gs? I'll believe it when I see it.

The Tesla is by no means an amazing sports car, but on normal roads, the cars is well into the performance realm. Hell, they didn't even try to set it up for performance. It runs air suspension LOL.

Grant:
    noone1:

For a full 40 seconds?

When's the last time you needed to drive full throttle, balls to the wall track-day-style for 40s+ on a normal road without any interruptions?

I'm not sure I could even find a normal road that lasts 40s of that kind of driving before running into some sort of obstacle or deterrent.

noone1:

So you drive on a normal road for 40s+ straight as you would on a race track? Full throttle, maximum Gs? I'll believe it when I see it.

The Tesla is by no means an amazing sports car, but on normal roads, the cars is well into the performance realm. Hell, they didn't even try to set it up for performance. It runs air suspension LOL.

And you validated another point of mine, the Alpine B7 is not an amazing sports car, far from it, but on normal roads, that car, and the M760i, are well into the performance realm. And both are superior to the Tesla in every way possible. 

--

I'd take a Model S over a B7 any day of the week. No one even buys those BMWs. I see more Ferraris and Bentleys than I do obscure overpriced BMW models like the B7.

Come to think of it, I've never even seen an Alpina B7. I see more Ferraris than those. Clearly no one wants them.

noone1:

When's the last time you needed to drive full throttle, balls to the wall track-day-style for 40s+ on a normal road without any interruptions?

I'm not sure I could even find a normal road that lasts 40s of that kind of driving before running into some sort of obstacle or deterrent.

I'll be doing it for longer than that in 5 more weeks Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Which tires did they use for the GTR and the turbo s. Probably the "special order" tires for the GTR and the PZero for the turbo s...

noone1:
    Grant:
    noone1:

For a full 40 seconds?

Each and every morning on my way to work... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

MKSGR:

Which tires did they use for the GTR and the turbo s. Probably the "special order" tires for the GTR and the PZero for the turbo s...

AMG GT R:
    Driver: K. C. Colwell
    Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l36XNHQvt08

Turbo S:
    Driver: Tony Quiroga
    Tyres: Pirelli P Zero Corsa PZC4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFxfmMwe89I

They had 4 or 5 drivers for this event...

Topspeed:
    MKSGR:

AMG GT R:
    Driver: K. C. Colwell
    Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l36XNHQvt08

Turbo S:
    Driver: Tony Quiroga
    Tyres: Pirelli P Zero Corsa PZC4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFxfmMwe89I

They had 4 or 5 drivers for this event...

At least the turbo s was on the new Corsa - would be more interesting to have the GTR time with regular tires though... These tires they used are not comparable to the Porsche tires at all.

noone1:
    Grant:
    noone1:

For a full 40 seconds?

Outside of the N-Ring where is a TRACK where you can go full throttle without lifting for 40 seconds straight? That's over a mile at 100mph...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    noone1:
    Grant:
    noone1:

For a full 40 seconds?

Outside of the N-Ring where is a TRACK where you can go full throttle without lifting for 40 seconds straight? That's over a mile at 100mph...

I was thinking of Autobahn (and Ring).  Otherwise you need to go to places like Nardo or Bonneville (or maybe Indy).  Probably a few others with banked corners.

--

The point is that neither Tesla or some G7 Alpine BMW is a good track car. They're mediocre at best. In the real world though, the Tesla stomps that BMW in every day usage as far as performance goes. As a bonus, it does autopilot and stuff like that reasonable well.

The interior on a BMW is better. 

Isn't the p85d 3 years old and the first d performance model. I am sure the p100d is a v different improved car. 

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689613 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409256 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255761 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235002 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65525 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858011 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774066 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM