Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F1 Sepang

Lap one: A daring start by the two McLarens as Fernando Alonso slips around Ferrari's Felipe Massa and then Lewis Hamilton comes round the outside to do likewise.

Bold.

What a great race.

Re: F1 Sepang

strange race for ferrari,however Kimi is n*1 for me

Thye are all really talented drivers. Heidfeld drove a good race also.

Most boring race I have seen in years.
    First corner was entertaining, and Massa out-driving himself and fall0ing for Hamilton's slingshot move was fun...but thats about it.
    The rest was
    Hamilton blocked Massa and Kimi so Alonso could build up enough gap to drive the victory home.
    Very effective and very, very boring.
    A season that theoretically could have been the best in years already seems to be a replica of former seasons.

I found a few things interesting:

- After a too much conservative first corner at Australia (first time in 25 races that he gave up a position on the strat), Alonso reported he was going to be more agressive this time. He was worried more about Kimi than Massa because Massa and Alonso were starting with used tires, while Kimi and Hamilton were starting with new tires which offer more grip on the start. Hamilton again did a fantastic start.

- The McLaren cars were practically the same as the ones in Australia, they had no significant improvements, yet they were on par if not better than the Ferraris today. So how interesting the drop in performance of the Ferraris this weekend coincided with the FIA's announcemnet that they were going to be more strict and attentive on checking that the cars comply with regulations like in the flexibility of the rear wings and undersuface...

- Alonso's race pace was unreachable. With no one in front this time he was opening the gap right up until the checkered flag. Hamilton may not have the fastest race pace of the bunch yet but he is so cool and smart at the wheel, he made Massa look like the the rokkie today. He held off the two Ferraris like an experienced F1 driver, and played with Massa like a muppetmaster. He clasifies well, he makes great starts, and most important then makes no mistakes at all no matter the preasure, giving him his two well deserved podiums. We may see him win a race towards the end of the season.

- Alonso goes to McLaren and in two races McLaren is winning again, the Alonso/Hamilton/DeLaRosa era car is fast and reliable, and team moral is sky high again after many years, while Renault is down in the sewer.

- Kimi did a good race but didn't seem agressive enough, he is not always going to have an overwealmingly faster car like in Australia. I wonder what would of happened if Schumacher was still in the seat of the Ferrari in this race. Massa may be fast but he showed everybody today what's the difference between a very fast driver and champion material.

- Its a shame the Williams are not quite there yet, would make F1 more exiting than a Ferrari-McLaren duel.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

- The McLaren cars were practically the same as the ones in Australia, they had no significant improvements, yet they were on par if not better than the Ferraris today. So how interesting the drop in performance of the Ferraris this weekend coincided with the FIA's announcemnet that they were going to be more strict and attentive on checking that the cars comply with regulations like in the flexibility of the rear wings and undersuface...

yes yes yes, same old argument about Ferrari being illegal

They told on tv that Ferrari was the 5th team that had to do more changes to the car, which means that there were other 4 teams that had to do the MORE changes to the car ...

Which precisely makes you wonder what kind of changes the Ferrari team had to do the cars they used in Australia after what we saw today in the race. The same old argument shows up again indeed.

Basically agree with Carlos about the race.

A fantastic start. I'm really impresed by Mr.Hamilton. It's incredible how precise he is in his driving, and his capacity to figth in short distances. Don't forget he comes from the very competitive GP2. I'm sure he'll be a great champion someday not very far, if he continues in this direction.

By the way, I wonder why the team made him stop for the second time so early, and before Alonso, and when he was at less than eight seconds (and going down) from him .....a "little" gift to Fernando?

In any case, a great race of both pilots of Mclaren, a combative Raikinnen -but maybe too late-, and a poor Massa, who seemed like the real rookie today.

And, respect Ferrari, yes, the same old story but real. Facts are facts, and today we could see.

Swords are up. Mclaren and Ferrari will have a strong battle. Let's hope Williams, and maybe others, will join the war. If not, there are moments in the GP that are really boring (Have to confess, thet after the second pit stop I slept for a while)

Quote:
    Byron said:By the way, I wonder why the team made him stop for the second time so early, and before Alonso, and when he was at less than eight seconds (and going down) from him .....a "little" gift to Fernando?

It looked like in the second stint Hamilton went very light on fuel load, because after coming into the first stop later than Alonso, he had to come into the second pitstop earlier, so that would explain the drop in the distance with Alonso to 8 seconds, but then after the last stop, the gap opened back up again to 22 seconds.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Byron said:By the way, I wonder why the team made him stop for the second time so early, and before Alonso, and when he was at less than eight seconds (and going down) from him .....a "little" gift to Fernando?

It looked like in the second stint Hamilton went very light on fuel load, because after coming into the first stop later than Alonso, he had to come into the second pitstop earlier, so that would explain the drop in the distance with Alonso to 8 seconds, but then after the last stop, the gap opened back up again to 22 seconds.

Yes, that's absolutelly true. I did not think in the fact that Hamilton's first stop was very short.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

- After a too much conservative first corner at Australia (first time in 25 races that he gave up a position on the strat), Alonso reported he was going to be more agressive this time. He was worried more about Kimi than Massa because Massa and Alonso were starting with used tires, while Kimi and Hamilton were starting with new tires which offer more grip on the start. Hamilton again did a fantastic start.

- Alonso's race pace was unreachable. With no one in front this time he was opening the gap right up until the checkered flag. Hamilton may not have the fastest race pace of the bunch yet but he is so cool and smart at the wheel, he made Massa look like the the rokkie today. He held off the two Ferraris like an experienced F1 driver, and played with Massa like a muppetmaster. He clasifies well, he makes great starts, and most important then makes no mistakes at all no matter the preasure, giving him his two well deserved podiums. We may see him win a race towards the end of the season.

- Alonso goes to McLaren and in two races McLaren is winning again, the Alonso/Hamilton/DeLaRosa era car is fast and reliable, and team moral is sky high again after many years, while Renault is down in the sewer.

- Kimi did a good race but didn't seem agressive enough, he is not always going to have an overwealmingly faster car like in Australia. I wonder what would of happened if Schumacher was still in the seat of the Ferrari in this race. Massa may be fast but he showed everybody today what's the difference between a very fast driver and champion material.

- Its a shame the Williams are not quite there yet, would make F1 more exiting than a Ferrari-McLaren duel.

I am not so sure about the assessment that McLaren is basically the same car. Out of all the top teams, they had doe the most work and made a lot of changes to the car. Ferrari on the other hand changed some spring in the platform and that is it. The funny thing is, it didn't slow their car at all the whole weekend, except during the race.

Thats what McLaren test pilot De La Rosa said while comentating the race live. He was saying during the race how suprised they were at seeing the McLarens keep up with the Ferraris in this second race since the McLaren car was basically the same with only minor changes, that the improvements were planned for Bahrain.

The first few laps were pretty interesting, and it must have been embarrassing for Massa to be outplayed by Hamilton (in his second F1 race) the way he did
    As Lasse said, after that the race was
    Disappointed by Ferraris racepace

The most interesting thing that happend during the raceweekend for me, was watching McLaren hold back Hamilton in the pits during qualifying so that he can out of the pits just in front of Massa (who I guess McLaren thought would be their toughest competitior for pole) before the last attempt in the dying moments of qualifying.

Hamilton was stationary in the pits for a long time without any work being done and the lollipop man lifted the lollipop just as Ferrari (whos pitgarage was directly behind McLaren) finished Massas car, coincidence....

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Funny you mention MS. At the end of the race on the U.S. Speed TV broadcast, David Hobbs said if Michael Schumacher was in the Ferrari he would have won the race.

Jim

First few laps were exciting, before it became the usual procession. I thought Fisi did an excellent job to make it as far as he did and also good to see Williams doing better. I am still not a total Hamilton fan like so many people- granted he has done really well but it seems he is being over-annointed.

I was very surprised at the Massa mistake- I haven't seen a driver on a top team make such a silly mistake in awhile.

I do hope for some more action in the upcoming races- today just seemed sleepy.

The thing that I am pulling from this race is the sheer brilliance of Alonso.

Say what you want about him (and I'm not at all an ardent supporter/fan), but where he goes, teams get the job done. They win. He wins.

Reminds you of certain somebodys (MS, VR)...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Thats what McLaren test pilot De La Rosa said while comentating the race live. He was saying during the race how suprised they were at seeing the McLarens keep up with the Ferraris in this second race since the McLaren car was basically the same with only minor changes, that the improvements were planned for Bahrain.

Very interesting insight there. I have heard and read otherwise. Everyone is saying that the McLaren has been modified from Melbourne which is directly due to all the testing they have been doing. I guess Pedro would know better. Can we expect the McLaren to be much faster in Bahrain then?

I its very lucky to have Pedro help coment the races on spanish TV since he gives a lot of insight into what is happening. At the start of the race you know if Alonso or Hamilton with come in first at the first pit stop, or what effect the second choice compound tires behave on each track when they put it on during the race (ej: the second choice compound degraded quickly in Autralia, but had no real penalty un Sepang), or how the McLaren perform at the particular track compared to the competition, or effect on fuel load on tires at each track, ect. And during the race he knows exactly what is happening on the track better than anybody because of his experience and also because he is not retired, he is still in the pits working. He is the one that tests all the improvements and changes. He also said for example that the McLarens were using greater downforce setting on the rear wing than the Ferraris so while the Ferraris had greater top speed on the straights, they decided to sacrifice that for more rear traction on the bends and also the greater rear downforce protected the tires more from excessive wear. That could maybe explain why the McLarens were faster on the Q1&2, and Ferrari on the Q3

He mentioned in Australia that while Ferrari will have the edge at the beginning of the season, McLaren will be more competitive as season progresses and next significant evolution is in Bahrain. But after what we saw today with Ferrari in which we through they were going to walk through like in Australia with their race pace, who knows

I thought it was a good race, not perfect, but much btter than years past. But i like it when the f-cars don't win. The massa-hamilton battle was the best action since San Marino MS- alonso fight. And in the end the gap was not too big with 2-3 real close.

Hopefully it will tighten up even more. Honda and Toyota look pathetic for their budgets.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763935 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436237 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260928 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82589 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808611 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM