Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Torque Converter Problems

what would be telltale signs if a 997 turbo tip would have a faulty torque converter or if its starting to show problems ?

would any of the engine check lights or tranmission lights go off ?

When engaging D and steeping on the accelerator right away there is a shudder in the drivetrain. if i wait for 2 seconds there is no shudder.
    transmission shifts fine through all gears and no problems.

cant remember if my C2S used to to the same when not waiting a matter of a few seconds for gear to fully engage.......

hope its not related to the few torque-brake starts i did

Re: Torque Converter Problems

I would very well expect that it could be related. These vehicles are not really designed to be abused like you did. I used to be able to drive these cars over 100,000 miles without any transmission issues because I never abused them. From that earlier thread of yours I would not be surprised if you messed something up.

Dan

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    what would be telltale signs if a 997 turbo tip would have a faulty torque converter or if its starting to show problems ?

would any of the engine check lights or tranmission lights go off ?

When engaging D and steeping on the accelerator right away there is a shudder in the drivetrain. if i wait for 2 seconds there is no shudder.
    transmission shifts fine through all gears and no problems.

cant remember if my C2S used to to the same when not waiting a matter of a few seconds for gear to fully engage.......

hope its not related to the few torque-brake starts i did

Replied to you in the previous thread.

My reply

the replacement cost for the tt torque converter will soon be known...but perhaps not shared...just wondering if the on-board ecu lawyers will elect to void the entire warranty...yikes

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    the replacement cost for the tt torque converter will soon be known...but perhaps not shared...just wondering if the on-board ecu lawyers will elect to void the entire warranty...yikes

If they decide to be dicks, they will. Torque-braking does constitute abuse.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    roadtrip said:

If they decide to be dicks, they will. Torque-braking does constitute abuse.

I also agree with you.

BTW, your comment also answers the question-who is faster TIP or manual?

Potential answers:

1.TIP, but only for few runs...

2.Manual, for most drivers...

3.Well...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

BTW, your comment also answers the question-who is faster TIP or manual?

Potential answers:

1.TIP, but only for few runs...

2.Manual, for most drivers...

3.Well...

hahahah

as mentioned before, it only shudders when i engage D and almost simultaeniously push the gas pedal. if i wait 1-2 seconds, everything is fine......

There is not a way to make a better acceleration with a TIp car( 0-100 )than 4.2 without stepping on the brakes... If you want to make 3.9 you have to step on the brake till 3000rpm and then simultanusly release the brake and push heavily the gas...
    All the times I mention above is accurate.I used my Driftbox.

My car is stock except it has a cargraphic exhaust and maniford sets... 5000km

Something more.. In the very first runs I dont know why but the car is even slower...

WTF IS THE 3.7 THAT PORSCHE PROMISED ME WHEN I ORDERED TIP?!

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:

Well... It IS there, but you have to void your warranty to do it .

Now the reason I know the tranny can be destroyed is because I did it on our Audi A6. Got better than factory 0-100 km/h time out of it by torque-braking, but the transmission was pretty much shot after repeated attempts. It would still drive and all, but it started jerking. I actually still have a video somewhere of my V1 radar detector jumping like crazy when the car downshifts and jerks .

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    There is not a way to make a better acceleration with a TIp car( 0-100 )than 4.2 without stepping on the brakes... If you want to make 3.9 you have to step on the brake till 3000rpm and then simultanusly release the brake and push heavily the gas...

Something more.. In the very first runs I dont know why but the car is even slower...

It seems to me that if the only way to meet an advertised performance level is to tourque brake(the same method a company uses to entice one to purchase the product)then it can't be relied on by the manufacturer as a means to escape warranty. I'm not a lawyer but porsche voiding warranty cause a customer wants what he was sold doesn't compute. If all the experts maintain the only way to attain the advertised 0-whatever requires brake tourquing then Porsche finds itself in a bit of a quandry. Crash when do you graduate from Law school?

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:

It seems to me that if the only way to meet an advertised performance level is to tourque brake(the same method a company uses to entice one to purchase the product)then it can't be relied on by the manufacturer as a means to escape warranty. I'm not a lawyer but porsche voiding warranty cause a customer wants what he was sold doesn't compute. If all the experts maintain the only way to attain the advertised 0-whatever requires brake tourquing then Porsche finds itself in a bit of a quandry. Crash when do you graduate from Law school?

Soon enough, but unless I spend less time at Rennteam, that might not happen .

I believe it's just speculation that Porsche will not cover if you do the starts to get the numbers they quoted in their brochure.

If it is considered abuse, does that mean they'll do a full disclosure when selling their press cars that warranty has been voided?

Do not forget that all Porsche press cars are almost rebuild at Porsche factory before selling...

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    as mentioned before, it only shudders when i engage D and almost simultaeniously push the gas pedal. if i wait 1-2 seconds, everything is fine......

You should wait till the car is in gear before applying gas.

KresoF1,

Now you know better than this!

There are two primary things a Tip does that makes it faster than a manual. Torque-braking is one of the two. Not dumping the boost when shifting gears is the second thing a Tip does that gives it an advantage over the manual transmission cars. IMHO the second is by far the more imoportant of the two!

"...but only for a few runs." is likely right for those who do torque-braking with their Tips. But for those of us who do not torque-brake and are riding at (speed say 25 mph) let's see which is faster! Again, the Tip does not dump the boost like a manual does when changing gears. How come some of you who drive manuals refuse to mention/acknowledge this advantage?

I would lay money that someone (for instance RC) that knows how to drive a Tip transmission turbo will be faster on track or road then 99/100 manual transmission cars. Only the true professional driver, driving the manual is likely to get their cars to be faster than an 'experienced' tip driver! Even the professionals say this.

I enjoy your post, so goe easy here ...

Well...

I understand your point.

BUT... Rolling start from 40km/h? TIP faster? Are you really sure?

So, you will be in Sport mode on and in what gear? First? Second? I think that you understand my point...

BTW, what about optional LSD? It is only available for manual. Why? TIP gearbox is too big so, no space for it.

And belive it or not-997 turbo has better traction with LSD in most conditions.

Why Porsche delivered 997 turbo manual with PCCBs, optional LSD and Michelin Cups to German Sport Auto magazine for their famous Supertest(Nordschleife etc.)?

Short answer-manual with optional LSD is faster on any track in hands of true enthusiast.

Back to original subject-torque braking is essential to get that 3.7s in 0-100km/h! Otherwise(normal start with TIP in second gear) no way to achive anything below 4.5s...
    How many TIP owners will do this torque-braking practice once-in-a-while? 95%!

OK, you love TIP. Me manual with optional LSD.

In any case 997 turbo is in both versions awsome car IMHO.

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:
    KresoF1,

Now you know better than this!

There are two primary things a Tip does that makes it faster than a manual. Torque-braking is one of the two. Not dumping the boost when shifting gears is the second thing a Tip does that gives it an advantage over the manual transmission cars. IMHO the second is by far the more imoportant of the two!

"...but only for a few runs." is likely right for those who do torque-braking with their Tips. But for those of us who do not torque-brake and are riding at (speed say 25 mph) let's see which is faster! Again, the Tip does not dump the boost like a manual does when changing gears. How come some of you who drive manuals refuse to mention/acknowledge this advantage?

I would lay money that someone (for instance RC) that knows how to drive a Tip transmission turbo will be faster on track or road then 99/100 manual transmission cars. Only the true professional driver, driving the manual is likely to get their cars to be faster than an 'experienced' tip driver! Even the professionals say this.

I enjoy your post, so goe easy here ...

How about this: Porsche says the TIP will reach 200km/h in 12.2 (with torque braking) vs 12.8 for the manual. Assuming these numbers are correct there is 0.6 sec difference.
    if the TIP does 0-100 in 4.3 without torque braking, it already lost that advantage and the 2 cars will be even at 200. After 200 we all know what shorter gearing and less weight does to a car. the sustained boost cannot help the TIP anymore as there is only one gear change left.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779374 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442277 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5820 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817636 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM