Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

manual or auto

hi,budy here

i plan to get a new 2007 turbo in a week.but confused by which one i should get: a manual transmission or a auto one.

cuz i noticed that the auto is more faster than one of manual in 0-60mph.its a amazing and trouble me.cuz in my opinion.porsche with the auto is not that "porsche"

anyone here can give me some help?thanks

Re: manual or auto

It really depends on your own preference. Do you want to shift your gears or do you want to let the car do it for you? FYI, manual cars generally tends to have better resale value so keep that in mind too. Look at some of the other threads talking about Tiptronic cars, it's faster under certain conditions.

Bottom line is, it's your dollar so you get to decide what you want to buy.

Manual.

Manual ONLY way to go. Unless you can't stand passing gears but if you can't stand passing gears then you're looking at the wrong type of cars because it's a sports car not a sedan like audi and mercedes.

Anyway I got mine manual, PCCB, adaptive seats, short shifter, sport chrono, LSD and I did the right choices as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to be able to feel what a turbo is really like performance wise (handling, accelaration, reprise (its french can't find the word in english)), and all other things you got to get a manual) IMHO
    If you're looking for sensation ----> manual
    - for fun ----> manual
    - For track days ----> manual
    - for spirited driving ----> manual

Do not look at numbers you won't even feel the difference what you'll feel is the "FEEL"

To achieve better number you have to do torque braking and doing so you'll harm your tranny. Without torque braking tip will be slower.

When i did get mine I had an hesitation but i went for the manual back in end of july, at that time there were not many data available, but today there are plenty tests. From owners and press... All press test I've read were going the same way MANUAL, and I've yet to hear a maunual owner that is unhappy with it. Tip owner I doubt there all happy with this tranny. As far as the one says that the turbo is a GT I guess they didn't try on a track cause I did many track days now and not many are passing me, but rather the other way around. And I probably could not achieve that with the tip tranny.

To resume chosing a turbo tip is like chosing a turbo without sport chrono, LSD, shortshifter, and pccb but i understand that PCCB is an expensive option but so much worth it but not as critical as the others because of its price but for me I consider PCCB critical.

I guess you got my opinion MANUAL!!!!!!!!

Cheers to all tip owner

Nice post, polo. Thanks. Very helpful to people like me who have to make this somewhat tricky decision soon. It's invaluable to have your frank opinions, especially when you add the kind of detail contained in your post. I was originally a definite tip buyer, now I'll almost certainly spec the manual when my turn comes in around 3 weeks. Great job!

I thought then, and I still think, that the whole Tiptronic hype was Porsches way of selling off all their remaining Tip gearboxes, since they know it will become obsolete the second PDK hits the shelves.

Make the decision based on the tranny you would pick if acceleration numbers were identical. Don't let a few tenths of a second one way or the other make the decision on such an important aspect of the car.

Manual!! Or wait a couple of years for PDK....

Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    I thought then, and I still think, that the whole Tiptronic hype was Porsches way of selling off all their remaining Tip gearboxes, since they know it will become obsolete the second PDK hits the shelves.

Make the decision based on the tranny you would pick if acceleration numbers were identical. Don't let a few tenths of a second one way or the other make the decision on such an important aspect of the car.

They didn't have to sell of anything, as they don't keep a stock of them. However, they didn't have a PDK gearbox available and needed to provide something "sophisticated" in lieu of the competition offering SMG, F1, etc.

Manual. No question IMO.

Quote:
    missme said:
    its a amazing and trouble me.cuz in my opinion.porsche with the auto is not that "porsche"

Get over it. Today a manual is no longer "Formula One."

Shifting is alot of work and sucks up lots of mental energy which can be used paying attention to other things the car is going.

When I was a kid I thought shifting was essential to really driving a sports car; no longer. If the tranny is super efficient with the HP (the Tip is) or super efficient with the RPMs (the Tip is) then it's a serious transmission.

My M3 with SMG is a dream come true. Can't wait til Porsche's PDK.

6spd...or get something else.

Personally, I have been very happy with the tip. Such an effortless fun car to drive and zip around.

It all depends on your own needs.

Quote:
    polo said:
    Manual ONLY way to go. Unless you can't stand passing gears but if you can't stand passing gears then you're looking at the wrong type of cars because it's a sports car not a sedan like audi and mercedes.

Anyway I got mine manual, PCCB, adaptive seats, short shifter, sport chrono, LSD and I did the right choices as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to be able to feel what a turbo is really like performance wise (handling, accelaration, reprise (its french can't find the word in english)), and all other things you got to get a manual) IMHO

Manual all the way! and Polo, you got it right: reprise = acceleration

Manual, even if just to reduce the odds of having the car stolen in the future. Most kids today aren't learning how to drive a stick,--I predict less auto thefts for manual transmission cars in the future!

Don't get the tip solely based on the 3.4 sec 0-60 time that Porsche "advertised." There have been questions raised about how or possibly whether this could be achieved in a safe manner. Even without that issue, my opinion would still be: Manual, without a doubt.

Quote:
    missme said:
    hi,budy here

i plan to get a new 2007 turbo in a week.but confused by which one i should get: a manual transmission or a auto one.

cuz i noticed that the auto is more faster than one of manual in 0-60mph.its a amazing and trouble me.cuz in my opinion.porsche with the auto is not that "porsche"

anyone here can give me some help?thanks

I agree with what Cannga says -- I wouldn't choose based on supposed 0-60 times but rather which you would prefer driving. For myself, I chose the manual for my order but I'm sure there will be times I might have preferred the tip, especially in daily driving.

At first I was leaning towards the tip but now I'm thinkin purity and the stick. Not so sure Porsche or most have looked fully at the claim the auto is faster. Not sure if that's always true. Even if torque braking didn't do any harm which I'm not so sure - Is the auto only faster when you're by yourself and can launch at your own pace? What happens if you have to launch immediately and can't sit there building boost or waiting for the overboost indicator. Or if you need to launch at a stop light or at the drop of a hand or flag, whatever. And in a way it almost seems like the tip is cheating in a way or the posers way out. I mean even if I win a race or even driving around quickly w/ the stick at least it had something to do w/ my skill. Haven't made up my mind yet but questioning my original thoughts that auto is always faster in a straight line. It may be faster if you can control WHEN to drop the hammer but it appears like the stick may be faster in real world head to head races. Dun no would be interesting to hear more from both........Plus there's the new issue's with the step-down in the tip. Guys having issues w/ their tranny after torque braking. Guys not getting the acceleration times from tip as adverstised .......... This from edmunds :

"Porsche's claim that the automatic is quicker might be true, but it's not entirely realistic. Here's why: You can't just put your foot to the floor and produce that 3.4-second 0-to-60 time. Here's the routine: Press the "Sport" button; engage 1st gear (the transmission defaults to 2nd); mash both pedals to the floor until the overboost indicator illuminates on the dash; release the brake; hold on.

When the brake is released, the Turbo reveals everything Porsche has learned about accelerating quickly in 43 years of building the 911. Which is, well, a lot, but because of the unpredictability of the time it takes for the boost to build with both feet pushed to the floor, it's virtually impossible to synchronize your launch against a stoplight. Get it wrong and the kid in the big-winged Mitsubishi Evo will get the drop on you."

Manual all the way.

Technology will continue to advance. A tip turbo may be faster than a manual one, the future PDK may shift faster also. But nothing beats the pleasure of using a stick and a clutch.

thx guys.ur realy nice here

and i have ordered the manual one

cheer~~~

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755976 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431887 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258990 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256059 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80020 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5268 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869115 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803432 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM