Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT Tip Mods

Many of you have asked about mods to a 997 Tip. Here is what I have done. My wheels and tires are all that is left to be installed. They will be installed hopefully next week and I will then post pictures.

OK, so here is all I have done to the car:

1) EVOMS Stage 4 (EVT S4 610) with ceramic coated headers and Swain coated intercoolers.

2) Cargraphic Loud Exhaust

3) Billet Aluminum Black Coated Oil and Power Steering Caps

4) Tinted Windows

5) K40 Bluetooth Radar Detector/Jammer

6) Carbon Fiber Eylids

7) Painted, color matched (Guards Red) front spoiler and rear lip

8) Black 'Turbo' badge on rear

9) Tinted Side Markers

10) Tinted Tail Lights

11) Black Ceramic Coated Exhaust Tips

12) Smoke Colored Dymag 9 Spoke Wheels (as in picture)

13) Michelin PS2 tires (to be stock size ... thanks Atomic 80!)

14) PoggiPolini Titanium Bolts for all 4 wheels

15) Clear Film on Front spoiler, rocker panels, and front all the way up the hood.

I know alot of folks on this board are paranoid about an ECU upgrades. All I can say is that GIAC makes a great reliable product. My car is a TIP and runs like a bat out of hell. The exhaust and the ECU upgrade are the two best investments I have ever spent when modifying a car. The car is transformed. My friend's Lamborghini Murcielago can't even stay close on the straights and is blown away in the corners ... and he is a better driver than I am.

And yes, I am in the minority that 'LOVES' my tip. RC is right when he says you have to learn to drive it. I hated the tip when I first got it , but now that I have learned to drive it , I am a much faster driver with both hands on the wheel and total focus on braking and my lines in the corners.

I love this car! It is by far the best car (my all time favorite car) I have ever owned!

There are those that are disappointed in their 997TT performance. All I can say is a new exhaust and ECU upgrade will have you raving about the car. Peace, Love and Beatle Music to those of you who cannot stomach any modifications to the stock car. To each his own!

Mike

Re: 997TT Tip Mods

Where did you get the dymag wheels?

Rennworx

http://www.rennworx.com/

Your tip sounds fabulous. I will do my best to duplicate it. My tip (May build/June Del). is black on black, PCCB, yellow belts/yellow dev. stitching, all carbon packages. I would love to see photos and particularly a video of your tip to hear/see the fury/sounds with the mods. How did you decide on Cargraphic exhaust ? I know EVO recommends the Miltek or Fabspeed. My only question regarding the Stage 4 mods is are you having any problem with the step down ? Is there a lag or flattening of power curve with the Stage 4 mod ? I heard that Todd at EVO was working on a solution for the step down problem.

tortesq1

Yes, there is a step down issue with the Stage 4 mod. You cannot floor the car all the way without engaging the step down. You will still have more power but it is delayed due to the step down.

You can however avoid the step down by simply learning not to depress the accelerator all the way to the step down button under the accelerator. It is a bummer but I have gotten used to it. Still I am hopeful that Todd at EVOMS comes up with a bypass button that bypasses the stepdown when in sport mode or manual mode, either one!

Hope this helps clarify???

Tulsa Turbo,

Does the stepdown ever make you wish you opted for the 6 speed ? My 03 X50 6 speed had the worst tranny ever (I think it was a lemon). I went through 2 trannys and a gear shift linkage on my 03 (covered by warranty). I never tracked the 03, but drove it hard for approx. 10K miles p/yr. in difficult NY conditions. I would love to get another 6 speed as I enjoy shifting, but the prior tranny sucked and the NYC traffic is an astronomical misery of biblical proportions. Hence, the tip order. The throttle stepdown problem sounds like a MAJOR headache. Why get a $150K (w/o mods)sports car if you can't hammer it all day. Its a serious buzzkill !!! Maybe when EVO comes out with their GT tuning kits (GT 700, etc.) the problem will be fixed. One can only hope.

I was thinking about ordering a TT Tip. Then I started reading on this and other boards that the Tip has: (1) the step down button issue; (2) poor/no fun track performance; (3) necessity to "power brake" the engine and transmission and possibly damage something to get the best 0-60 time (how could Porsche do such a thing?! ); (4) release of PDK within the next year or two making Tip obsolete. Unless you do not want to use a clutch, the Tip is obviously inferior to the manual transmission. Now, I'm going to either order the TT with manual or wait for PDK. Tip is no longer an option for me.

I've had the tip on order for a year. There is no way in hell, barring a disaster, that I'm not getting the car in June. As much as I enjoy clutching out at a stoplight and shifting in general, once you do 2 hrs. in bumper to bumper NYC traffic you'll be BEGGING for a tip ! Also, I don't get the whole stoplight dragging philosophy of the manual crowd. With my 03 X50 6 speed I never dropped the clutch to take the wholeshot. I let the clutch out progrssively, there was instant hookup, the car shot out like a bat out of hell. It was never modded, but I never lost a stoplight drag (maybe I was just real lucky). In any event, it seems that the tip boost issue is overblown as I am not buying the car to race from stoplight to stoplight. Besides, how many production cars in the world, save a Veyron, will actually beat a tip from stoplight to stoplight, or in the quatermile ? Once Todd at EVO figures out how to beat the throttle step down issue I think the tip will be truly the ULTIMATE daily driver, whether in heavy traffic, shuttling you kids around town or pulling up to a stoplight. As for PDK, I wouldn't want to be guinea pig series of turbos while the factory works out the gremlins. You think tips have issues, wait intil PDK comes out. Any 1997 F355 Ferrari owner will tell you that the initial F1 tranny run by Maranello was not their best work. Anyway, if your happy with you current ride you wait, but if your like me and sick of waiting....the tip it is.

By the way, NO step down issue with the FVD ECU. The programming might not be quite as aggressive as GIAC, but the performance is significantly imporved over stock. When I slam my accelerator, the car LOVES to be stepped down.

I was the first 997 TT in the USA with the FVD ECU. Unfortunately they attempted 6 different ECU's until they got it right...I was the test case (should have received a discount).

tortesq1

For the record, I am from New Brunswick, New Jersey. I understand the traffic issues in and around New York. I don't miss New York traffic!

Does the step-down ever make me wish I opted for the 6 speed? Not really. The only 'major' concern I ever had with getting the Tip transmission was the resale issue, especially after I have pumped so much money into the car. I will not trade this car in as soon as PDK comes out for the turbo, as I don't care to be a guinea pig for Porsche with a new transmission. Maybe after a couple of years when it is clear that Porsche has a winning PDK, I will consider trading cars. So for me, it will be 4+ years before I trade this car.

I sold a 709 hp, 718 ft-lbs of torque 996 Turbo which was a six speed upgraded by Prototech. http://www.prototechonline.com/ Lamborghini of Dallas once stated that this car was the fastest car in their stables. I drove this car everywhere, including the track. I loved this car.

I like my 997TT Tip even more. Period. Frankly, with the mods I have on this car, I just stomp on it when I want to go. I never (ever) power brake as I am a mechanical engineer and I would never do that to my transmission. When I want to go fast (even from a dead stop) I simply manually down shift (one quick movement with either thumb) or just stomp on it ... the car is so brutally fast, that I am glad I have both hands on the wheel as all four wheels are clawing for traction. I would not want to be letting go of the steering wheel to shift gears in the middle of this clawing. Remember, the Tip does not dump the boost as it shifts to higher gears as the manual does, so you just stay in the power band. It seems to me that most of those who post concerns about the Tip on these boards simply choose to focus on the need to power brake for good 0-60 mph times and they appear to ignore the distinct advantage the Tip has because it stays under boost while shifting. No offense folks, but even a professional will lose ground to a Tip when they shift due to the loss of boost! It's a fact, deal with it!

The problem for most people who test drive the Tip is that they CANNOT POSSIBLY learn to drive the Tip in a few hours. It took me a while (it took RC some time, too) to learn to drive my Tip and get the power I bargained for out of the car. I get that power today and so does RC . BTW, where is RC ? He would tell you that he would take on 99.9% of the worlds 997TT drivers who are driving manual transmission cars and would beat them. A manual 997TT is a car that any experienced driver who has driven a manual can get in and almost immediately know how to drive. Even an experienced driver will have to spend time learning how to drive the Tip. It is different. Not bad, just different. Again, ask RC , he will confirm what I am saying. Do not let those who have not driven a 997TT for a month or more discourage you. You will learn to love this car! I will track my car, and I can assure you very few (if any) cars will stay close to me. Remember, I am pushing 600+ hp. Also, remember in real life you are hardly ever going to be racing from a dead stop. You will not be power braking. In most all day-to-day driving situations you will be accelerating from one speed to another. In these cases, you can either shift to manual mode (which I do often, I like it) or just don't floor it all the way to the step-down button. The Tip transmission behaves according to your current driving style. If you are pushing the car it stays in the power band and all you have to do is step on it and she takes off. In my experience the step-down is more of an issue when you been lugging the car (usually in traffic) and suddenly decide to nail it. In these cases, I simply hit the down shift button on the steering wheel with my thumb and nail it. She take off like a bat out of hell. Again you have got to learn how to drive the car. It becomes second nature, you don't even think about what you are doing after a while. Fact of the matter is, I had to stop and think as I wrote this email about how I side-stepped the step-down issue. It is second nature to me now .

Hope this helps!

Hello Mike,

I would love to see pictures of your car, particularly with the new wheels ! If/when I order my 997 TT, it too will be Guards, but with sand beige interior. And I hate the busy stock wheels (more slats!!) with a passion.

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:
    Many of you have asked about mods to a 997 Tip. Here is what I have done. My wheels and tires are all that is left to be installed. They will be installed hopefully next week and I will then post pictures.

OK, so here is all I have done to the car:

12) Smoke Colored Dymag 9 Spoke Wheels (as in picture)

14) PoggiPolini Titanium Bolts for all 4 wheels

Mike

congrats for you mods,you 997 tt really sounds as a beast.please,show us pics of your beauty!

Tulsaturbo tell me something please.. What about the lag with your ECU below 3000rpm?! The only reason I havent yet done the ECU is that... Also Why most US companies (Evo-Giac etc) make the car with just an ECU and echaust - headers 600hp and all the european companies only about 550hp?!

Boy, I agre with you. I really dislike the factory wheels! I knew when I first saw pictures of the car that I would replace the wheels ... awful!

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    Tulsaturbo tell me something please.. What about the lag with your ECU below 3000rpm?! The only reason I havent yet done the ECU is that... Also Why most US companies (Evo-Giac etc) make the car with just an ECU and echaust - headers 600hp and all the european companies only about 550hp?!

European ratings are more conservative. The Ruf 550 package for the 996TT was as fast as the EVO Stage 4 (600 bhp) package.

Nick,

Here is a quote from Todd at EVOMS "I did some testing back and forth using the same car and data logging procedures. The only change that I made was the way I pressed the accelerator pedal. If I pressed the pedal to the throttle switch but not far enough to activate it, the car felt amazing. If I mashed the throttle and activated the switch, the engine/transmission felt conflicted until about 3800 RPMS where it had a slight hesitation and then continued its power sweep normally beyond 4000 RPMS."

Please go to http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75675 and you will understand that this lack of power below 3000 rpm which feels like turbo lag is actually the much talked about step-down problem.

If you will do as Todd says and avoid activating the step-down switch the car "felt amazing"!

Again, one has to learn to drive the Tip. Once I learned, I fell in love with the car!

I hope this link answers your concern regarding turbo lag!

I drive my car most in manual mode because i want to get in corners with the Gear that I want.. I will ask tomorrow my Porsche dealer if can take this switch off somehow...

TulsaTurbo,

Great response and thanks for taking the time. You certainly reaffirmed for me that a tip (modded no less) is unequivocally the way to go for me.

tortesq1:

Nick: Please let me know what your dealer says. I am now talking to Todd at EVOMS about whether their new EVT 690R is functional on the Tip. I have asked him whether he has come up with a bypass switch for the step-down switch. I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:
    tortesq1:

Nick: Please let me know what your dealer says. I am now talking to Todd at EVOMS about whether their new EVT 690R is functional on the Tip. I have asked him whether he has come up with a bypass switch for the step-down switch. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM