Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: confirmed: 997 windshield chips-cracks problem

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Well, here is an update on the situation: its not even a month and a half with the new windshield since it was last replaced and I already have a half moon chip on one place and a spider crack on another (the latter likely to open up into a longer slit/crack in time).

Its simply ridiculous, I drive other cars as well and have no problems whatsoever, I had never had to replace a windshield in any of may prevous cars ever either, I did tons of miles with my ex-996 and no problems... but once I replaced the first windshield of my 997, its been one windshield after the other, anything that touches the wiundshields causes damage until I'm forced to replace the windshield. This would make my fifth windshield in one year's time.

The only reason I can think of is that the shop does not replace the windshield correctly and is not set or tensioned correctly which would lead to fragility of the windshield to impacts, hence explaining that once I replaced the first one, the whole problem started, but how to prove it?

Carlos,

I think that you are right about source of your problems-shop does not replace the windshield correctly!

FIFTH windshield in one year...

Did you talk with shop owner(or person in charge)?

Maybe you need to take some law action against them...

Thanks KresoF1, its the only explanation I can think of, never having to change a windshield and all of a sudden 5 windshields in one year on the same car in not due to luck. The problem I have is how to prove it.

Carlos,

Regarding tension-your car is with -20mm/LSD suspension. Maybe there is difference in tension when placing a new windshield on car with sport suspension then the one with PASM or standard suspension.

Mistake is definitely in the shop or in the way they work with the windshield.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said: Maybe there is difference in tension when placing a new windshield on car with sport suspension then the one with PASM or standard suspension.

Could be I will bring that question up when I change it again I'm just wondering what my insurance is going to think

I saw you asked about 3M film for the windshield. Although I have not personally had it done I've seen my 3M installer do it for other people. I guess the key is to have a shop that does custom 3M install and not just pre-cut kits. Although I can't imagine having the 3M installed on the winshield will be as clear as without, I bet anything it will protect your windshield enough to prevent damage from the majority of impacts. Good luck.

Carlos: it may very well be an installation problem as discussed. I still suggest you discuss this with the regional Porsche rep. Good luck!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Carlos: it may very well be an installation problem as discussed. I still suggest you discuss this with the regional Porsche rep.

I agree. There's got to be something wrong here with either the body frame surrounding the windshield or the installation procedure - probably the first of those two.

Carlos, did you note the positions of the cracks arising on the various windshields? Did they start at a particular area around the frame?

Did the shop check for "stress raisers" around the frame before installing the last windshield?

Thanks stradale % Antonio, unfortunately there are no 3M installers in the area, nor the delaer/mechanics knows of any such product for the windshield.

Quote:
    fritz said:I agree. There's got to be something wrong here with either the body frame surrounding the windshield or the installation procedure - probably the first of those two.

Carlos, did you note the positions of the cracks arising on the various windshields? Did they start at a particular area around the frame?

Did the shop check for "stress raisers" around the frame before installing the last windshield?

The cracks always originate from an stone/gravel impact. The problem is that any minimum impact will give rics to a chip or crack, wereas in all other cars this is rare, there needs to be a big impact to cause damage and this is a rare thing. But in the 997, its every other week, until one of them is bad enough that evolves into a split and I need to replace the windsshield all over again. There is no specific place that I notice that has had more damage, the chips and cracks have been distributed all over the windshield from what I recall. But one I remember clearly was one that apeared the next morning when I grabbed the car, I pin head mark on the top opaque area of the windshield was the cause and it developed into a big split the next morning, this was right behind the driver's side sun visor area.

What are stress raisers?
    I told the mecahnic on the last replacement to search for anything on the frame that may be causing a focal stress but you know how that is, it could have well gone one ear and out the other or may not even have known what I was talking about, and just replaced it as usual which was probably the place

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

What are stress raisers?
    I told the mecahnic on the last replacement to search for anything on the frame that may be causing a focal stress but you know how that is, it could have well gone one ear and out the other or may not even have known what I was talking about, and just replaced it as usual which was probably the place

"stress raisers?" = "anything on the frame that may be causing a focal stress"

Carlos, if this happens again I would be inclined - if I were in your position - to try to insist on regional rep looking at the car while windshield is out. (Probably easier said than done, due to geography and delays it would cause, but this looks like it could be a never-ending story otherwise).

There is no regional reps that I'm aware of, only the base of Porsche Iberica at Madrid, but I will definately do something

Carlos - looking at this logically:-

1) Five replacements in a year cannot be coincidence, no way, whatever road conditions you frequent!

2) You haven't had similar problems with your other cars.

3) No one else here has had anything like as many similar experiences (I've had one replacement in 18 months, due to heavy impact, but no problems since)

4) You've used the same installer on each occasion.

5) You use OEM replacements each time.

Question - Does the installer have a 'track record' for such failures? I would guess not if they're still in business....!

Conclusion - It must be to do with your windshield alignment - insist that this is checked by your OPC and a comprehensive report given to you. Your insurance company would no doubt support this request. You simply can't go on like this..

Best of luck mate get it sorted before you lose faith in P-cars - that would be disasterous for all of us.

Thanks John thats indeed the logical thing to do.

Carlos, puedes añadirme también a la lista de dueños con daños en el parabrisas causados por impactos en la carretera. Ayer conduje mi 997 S y jamás me hubiese imaginado que iba a tener una pequeña área descascarada, justo enfrente de mis ojos, cuando no escuché ningún sonido de impacto alguno. Es como si apareciese por arte de magia. No me ha pasado solo ahora en mi 997 sino también en el 996 que tuve justo antes de comprar el 997. Soy dueño de un Carrera del 1.987 con alrededor de 109.000 km y el parabrisas está en mejores condiciones que el del coche más nuevo, ya ves. Mal de muchos, consuelo de tontos pero por lo menos no estás sólo. Saludos.

Does the installer use the same space in the shop to do your repair? Perhaps the car is warped by uneven floor, the windshield goes in, the polyurathane sealant/adhesive sets up and windshield is "welded" in place.

You drive off, the roads get flat and level so the monocoque goes back to normal and now you have a car that has a pre-stressed, pre-twisted windshield just waiting for a little fracture-starting impact.

Something related to this? A twisted, pre-stressed result is what you're getting?

Carlos, I just had my windshield cracked by what could only have been a pebble. It hit in the shaded area on the passenger side. It sounded like a light tap from a ballpoint pen when it hit and 20 mins later the tap developed into a foot-long diagonal crack. My BMW's windshield never cracked so easily. Very disappointing as I don't believe this was normal. Hope I'm not headed down the same path as you. As far as I know, this was the first "pebble" to hit the windshield since I bought the car on 6/06/06. Considering lowering my deductible so that I can get some relief if (when??) I crack the new one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM