Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Why'd you pick Turbo over GT3?

I know Turbo is better ride with more comfort and convenience; but reviews of GT3 make it sound like it's more fun to drive. A Motortrend review implied GT3 is "better." WTF?

How did you guys decide on the Turbo? My plans to trade my 997s for a TT are now in question.

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Re: Why'd you pick Turbo over GT3?

You must decide why you are buying the car. Will you drive it only on Sunday mornings like most F430/Gallardo owners or drive it every single day of the week. Thw year round weather conditions where you live are also important. My choice was simple. I wanted a good looking semi-vicious DAILY driver that could handle my wife and 2 of my 3 daughters (passengers) and be used in a NY winter (I also have a 2005 Jeep Ultimate Rubicon for extreme whether). I'll never track the car. My 997 TT Tip (thats right a TIP) will be delivered in June with an MSRP of approx. $150K (plus figure $15K for EVO Stage 4 package). The GT3 would have saved me money, but with all due respect, will be a serious pig compared to my mildly modded TT. If your going to track the car or you just want to "feel" like your going fast (compared to the TT), then get a GT3. As a daily driver the GT3 isn't in the same league as the TT. Thats my 2 cents.

The distance between a 996TT and a 996 GT3 is greater than the 997 series. The 997 GT3 series is signifcantly more "daily driver" friendly than its predecessor, and the 997 TT is a better trackable car than the 996. Because of this, the decision between GT3 and TT is even more difficult than ever before.

Sooooo.....what should you get? The 997 GT2 of course!!!!!

Kidding aside, I still find the TT a grand touring type of sports car...with greater comforts, daily usability, and the rush of a blown 3.6 monster!

tortesq1 said it very well. I had a very intense test drive with the 997tt (manual) recently. I also drove some other 997 models, unfortunately no GT3 yet.

The 997tt is THE perfect all-day sports car, for someone who really has to do a lot of driving and is willing to do this driving in a relatively narrow sports car instead of a comfy, top-engined limousine or GT for example. Driving for the sake of driving is definitely not the domain of the Turbo.

So these circumstances rule the Turbo out for me. The facts that rule the GT3 out are that I'm personally no fan of race-bred cars like GT3 or Challenge Stradale for example. And although I think the GT3's engine is the best engine currently available for the 997 as a sports car, I have to admit that I don't like all the spoilers, side skirts and clumsy looking bumpers. To me the standard 997 is something like the perfect modern interpretation of the classical 911 theme, that's why I'd always prefer a 997S/4S/Targa4S, which I acutally did in case of the Carrera S.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Driving for the sake of driving is definitely not the domain of the Turbo.

That is one opinion, certainly not mine.

GT3 versus Turbo: both are great cars and the difference is such that one can be drawn to both. I too considered the GT3 when it came out but the lack of PSM (as a daily driver) helped me decide to go for the Turbo. And no regrets whatsoever.

I want an all weather car (I'm in Seattle) that I can drive regularly -- perhaps not daily, but not just sunny weekends in the summer, either. I want some of the creature comforts of the Turbo. I won't be tracking the car and, like Rossi, I don't like the big wing, side skirts, or other "hey, look at me" stuff of the GT3.

The Turbo fits my needs and desires better. It's a personal choice; they are both awesome cars.

I long had my heart set on a gt3 for the greater driver involvement of 2wd, lighter weight, a high-revving naturally aspirated engine. All the rave reviews of the 997gt3 and 997gt3rs, in conjunction with my own happy experience in a 996gt3, sure made those cars appealing. However the lack of rear seats meant that it would be a solitary pleasure that I could not enjoy with my young son and daughter for the next five or more years until they were old enough to sit in the front seat. Getting a gt3 instead of a turbo would separate me from my family more than a turbo would, which I did not want to do. Secondly, much of my street driving these days involves errands, many with my children, so I realized I would have a lot more seat time in a turbo than in a gt3. Thirdly I was concerned about the hassle of the low ride height and poor approach angles of the gt3 -- why should the limitations of my car tell me where to drive and how? I feared that the hassle of driving the gt3 over speed bumps and speed humps and into driveways would grow to annoy me greatly over time. Ultimately if I didn't have children that I love to be with I would have chosen the gt3 despite its practical limitations. But since I do, I chose the turbo over the gt3.

See my post on 997 Tip mods!

Chose tt...is much faster and spoiler not so obtrusive as the GT3 one.

Take every review of the 997GT3 and tone it down by 50%. That is what it would be really like on street tires(PS2). Take every review of the 997TT and hype it up another 50%. That is what it would be like on track tires(MPSC).

A GT3 with mods will never even be as fast as a stock Z06. A TT can be instantly transformed into a 599/CGT performance class car with mods.

"Driving ...not the domain of the turbo"

Congratulations - you've posted one of the the most inane comments I 've read on this website.

Re: "Driving ...not the domain of the turbo"

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Congratulations - you've posted one of the the most inane comments I 've read on this website.

Huh?

I think Rossi's comment is pointing to something very sensible. The all wheel TT is a little more "numb" in steering feel than a C2. I can only imagine how the steering compares to the GT3. Don't want to start a flame war but the nimbleness ("driveability") of the Turbo can be said to be somewhat less than the other Carrera configurations. Of course the brutish HP/Tq makes up for alot.

I would pick the Turbo for one reason: PSM. Gotta have it.

David

sorry - but your "interpretation" of his comment doesn't cut it - "driving for the sake of driving is not the domain of the turbo?" - what nonsense.

Congratulations to you as well, as you just made clear that you are obviously one of the most narrow-minded users of this website.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    sorry - but your "interpretation" of his comment doesn't cut it - "driving for the sake of driving is not the domain of the turbo?" - what nonsense.

Instead of discussing and making oneself clear why you like to disagree you stay single-worded and impertinent.
    Very strange choice of words, sorry mate.

Quote:
    hatchback said:
    I long had my heart set on a gt3 for the greater driver involvement of 2wd, lighter weight, a high-revving naturally aspirated engine. All the rave reviews of the 997gt3 and 997gt3rs, in conjunction with my own happy experience in a 996gt3, sure made those cars appealing. However the lack of rear seats meant that it would be a solitary pleasure that I could not enjoy with my young son and daughter for the next five or more years until they were old enough to sit in the front seat. Getting a gt3 instead of a turbo would separate me from my family more than a turbo would, which I did not want to do. Secondly, much of my street driving these days involves errands, many with my children, so I realized I would have a lot more seat time in a turbo than in a gt3. Thirdly I was concerned about the hassle of the low ride height and poor approach angles of the gt3 -- why should the limitations of my car tell me where to drive and how? I feared that the hassle of driving the gt3 over speed bumps and speed humps and into driveways would grow to annoy me greatly over time. Ultimately if I didn't have children that I love to be with I would have chosen the gt3 despite its practical limitations. But since I do, I chose the turbo over the gt3.

Hatchback, you pretty much summed it up for me and although I don't have children I have 2 little neices that love to tag along and no back seats just don't cut it for me. The Gt3 is way to low for city driving (I live in SF) especially since I already scrape going up my driveway with the 997S. I think the GT3 is fun to drive, more so than the turbo (based on what I have read because I haven't driven either yet) but for the long haul and comfort the decision was easy for me....997 TT!

I love the arguments this board throws up...

Personally i found the GT3 much more exciting.....and much more tiresome..

If i had the money (if only!!) id go for a turbo, whooosh...

What gets me is how most every review seems to point out the responsiveness, the feedback, the dynamics, the aural sounds of the GT3. Everything except for the sound is going to be greatly affected by the tires and suspension alignment. When I put a super gummy set of road racing tires on my turbo, it is dynamically transformed - much improved.

I think the new AMS/Sport Auto tests of the TT vs the GT3 on the same Pilot Sport Cups is going to change alot of people's perpspectives (especially those who keep calling the turbo a "GT" or "SL-type" car.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

PLEASE tell me why my "interpretation" has no merit. As of yet you have zero credibility and are starting to sound trollish.

I'm a troll?

Rossi states that "driving for the sake of driving is not the domain of the turbo". He posts this on a 997 turbo board. He has a picture of a Ferrari on his signature. You feel the need to defend his ridiculous comment. And I'm the troll?

LOL

Re: I'm a troll?

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Rossi states that "driving for the sake of driving is not the domain of the turbo". He posts this on a 997 turbo board. He has a picture of a Ferrari on his signature. You feel the need to defend his ridiculous comment. And I'm the troll?

LOL

Rossi is one of the many respected and experienced Rennteam members. Sure he loves Ferrari the most (I assume...) but most of all he is a true general sport-car enthusiast, who moreover happens to actually DRIVE the car he is talking about.

Nobody has to agree with him and each has the right to be entitled to his own opinion, but his credibility shall not be put into question.

As a general comment, and I am not talking especially about you, it is not rare newly registred / occasional members come and make bold statements, objecting / disregarding reputed regular members. It is a shame.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

LOL

Yes, you sound like a troll. Your negative opinion, boardering on personal attack, was not accompanied with any sound reasoning, new information, or a good question furthering the thread. You contribution to this thread has been merely curt negative utterances. I hope this helps.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

LOL

Yes, you sound like a troll. Your negative opinion, boardering on personal attack, was not accompanied with any sound reasoning, new information, or a good question furthering the thread. You contribution to this thread has been merely curt negative utterances. I hope this helps.

MMD, from what I recall Alan has a 997TT, so his response was most likely just surprised outrage, not intentionally flaming Rossi.

exactly which car does he drive

the turbo or the 430 - maybe he owns both - I don't care. I can only tell you that with over 9,000 miles on my 997tt, I seem to find it to be a joy to "drive for the sake of driving". Rossi is fortunate to have so many defenders - clearly his other posts have been more intelligent.

I don't intend to continue this so you have my opinion about his silly comment

Re: exactly which car does he drive

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    the turbo or the 430 - maybe he owns both - I don't care. I can only tell you that with over 9,000 miles on my 997tt, I seem to find it to be a joy to "drive for the sake of driving". Rossi is fortunate to have so many defenders - clearly his other posts have been more intelligent.

It's not up to you to decide if my other posts are more intelligent or not, who are you to think you have the right to judge about somebody?

By using words like "nonsense", "most insane", "ridiculous comment", "silly comment" you are just up to personal attacks, without ANY further information why YOU prefer your beloved 997tt. Seems as if you don't have ANY arguments, just want to come here and make some waves.

I did NEVER say the Turbo is a bad car, I never said you are dumb, ridiculous, unintelligent, insane, silly, I never said you are wrong. MMD asked which car out the two - GT3 or 99tt - somebody should prefer. OUT OF THE TWO (read my comment before you start writing personal BS again) I - and some other users here BTW - said that I would take the 997tt for the daily drive, if you have to drive a lot and if you want to do this driving in a pure sports car (which the 997tt is, before you start lamenting again). If you want a car for early sunny Sunday drive, the GT3 is more fun (for me) or a Gallardo or a F430. And yes, it's good to have both and everybody here has his personal preferences, we are all indiviuals and that's what discussing in a great forum like rennteam should be all about.

I simply can't stand people like you who start attacking others personally out of the blue, don't matter if you do so to me or any other user here. Without any information why you disagree and even further as there was absolutely no need for reacting in a pre-puberty way like you did. You should better think about your mentality dude. Normally I can better control myself, but your childish comments are the straw that broke the camels back.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

LOL

MMD, from what I recall Alan has a 997TT, so his response was most likely just surprised outrage, not intentionally flaming Rossi.

I agree with crash, Alan should have asked rossi if he owns a 997TT to make a statement like that,a test drive is meaningless however intensive it is.
    Alan, you have been around here more than me but you don't seem to realize how the senior posters on this particular board operate
    And Ziggy, that was a funny post coming from someone with less posts than Alan

I'm sorry for sounding like a cop. Lets all just have another slug of beer... .

If you want to call someone on something they say here there's gotta be a modicom of respect while doing so; would be nice to have the counter-argument to what was said too.

If you want to call BS on public figures or mfgr's products/features, by all means, let the expletives fly!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

It's not up to you to decide if my other posts are more intelligent or not, who are you to think you have the right to judge about somebody?

By using words like "nonsense", "most insane", "ridiculous comment", "silly comment" you are just up to personal attacks, without ANY further information why YOU prefer your beloved 997tt. Seems as if you don't have ANY arguments, just want to come here and make some waves.

I did NEVER say the Turbo is a bad car, I never said you are dumb, ridiculous, unintelligent, insane, silly, I never said you are wrong. MMD asked which car out the two - GT3 or 99tt - somebody should prefer. OUT OF THE TWO (read my comment before you start writing personal BS again) I - and some other users here BTW - said that I would take the 997tt for the daily drive, if you have to drive a lot and if you want to do this driving in a pure sports car (which the 997tt is, before you start lamenting again). If you want a car for early sunny Sunday drive, the GT3 is more fun (for me) or a Gallardo or a F430. And yes, it's good to have both and everybody here has his personal preferences, we are all indiviuals and that's what discussing in a great forum like rennteam should be all about.

I simply can't stand people like you who start attacking others personally out of the blue, don't matter if you do so to me or any other user here. Without any information why you disagree and even further as there was absolutely no need for reacting in a pre-puberty way like you did. You should better think about your mentality dude. Normally I can better control myself, but your childish comments are the straw that broke the camels back.

AMEN!

For whatever reason this forum is 99% cordial and 99.9% of the comments stick to the topic's of cars and hardly ever get personal. This is what I love about RENNTEAM so much. Dun no if everyone's been on other forum's but half the time discussions end up with people insulting each other. Always seem to turn into a pissing match. LOL! You should see one of the Yahoo! Finance stock message boards I post at, it's a real Zoo. Anyway, IMHO this place is great because the people that post here are mature enough or level headed enough to know personal attacks can ruin the place and are NEVER productive. No one likes to be insulted for giving their opinion. And from what I've seen here the Moderators don't put up w/ it either.

Since I started reading RENNTEAM Rossi has always been one of the most informative posters here,,,,, period.

RE: GT3 vs turbo - As some here have mentioned it really depends what floats your boat. If I didn't have a F430 I might consider the GT3 instead of the turbo. But the turbo (for me) is a better car for my everyday commute plus I love the fact I can take my wife & 2 children with me during weekend trips, this is a major selling feature for me. I already have a 2 seat sports car that is a great track car in the 430, having a turbo especially a cab really opens up a lot more possibilities. So if I want a car for the sake of driving then the 430 is a better car for that. Engine placement, handling, weight, sound, looks,,, everything makes it more of a car that you drive for the sake of driving. Where as the turbo is more of a everything at anytime, anywhere with everyone type car. The turbo cab being the swiss army knife of the sports car world. Plus imho the turbo cab will just look so freakin amazing w/ the top down, something about that look that I just LOVE even the 996 turbo cab, the way the 997 turbo cab is going to look from the rear, top down, wide rear wheel arches, fat tires, wide and low open cockpit! mama mia !Can't wait.

I have 2 boys that love riding in the Porsche, so the GT3 is a no go for me. Plus it would never be faster than the top of the line ttttturbo!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776883 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85141 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5527 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM