Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ever Heard about OCBen's Washing/Waxing Tips?

So far I was taking pride of being the only insane one avidly consuming all those frantic details about the proper car care system and spending appr. 10 hrs each time I were to hand-wash/polish/wax/detail my C2S. Indeed I was about (and I still am) to post the before/after with loads of pixz of my car care approach.

But, this morning I came across another insane guy named OCBen that usually posts to rennlist.com

Although I don't share all of his views on the handcare systems I have to admit that his write up along with his expertise worth a try, so don't forget to visit his posts.

Besides he gives serious answers/advice to many other topics including minor stone chip repair, DIY oil change or the reading accuracy of the electronic oil gauge.

This[or click here] appears to be a good starting point for his posts

P/S I understand many of you are well aware of OCBen's posts but I'm sure there are plenty others who have a lot to take out of his embodied knowledge

Re: Ever Heard about OCBen's Washing/Waxing Tips?

Yes, I've heard of him.

But what he offers is basic fundamental knowledge, and as such it can be applied anywhere with any product of choice. Once you have the fundamentals down, you can confidently apply them to any new product that comes along.

For in depth specifics regarding the use of a particular product, it is recommended to visit www.autopia.org.

Btw, thanks for the nice compliments. I appreciate it.

Oh yeah, I guess I've been called insane before, but I've been called worse!

Ben, you are the man

Good news travel reaaaaaly fast

I mean every word I said, but let me define insane by just describing a well learned man. At least pls notice that the first insane mentioned in my post was...me I'm sure you understand my no offesnse intended

Welcome mate

OCBen, BTW, have you ever tried/heard about Swissol products? I see a conflict in their system compared to your suggestion in the phase between washing and claying. They simply don't suggest old wax removal!

What do you think?

No, never heard of those products. But there are a lot of good products out there that I haven't heard about either.

Well, claying not only removes surface contaminants, it also often removes the existing coat of wax or sealant, unless you use this special clay from Sonus that is supposed to be gentle enough not to strip off the old wax. It's a good clay, as I use it myself, and I highly recommend it to those who clay on a regular basis. (It's available only through Autopia I believe.)

But if you're using regular clay, it will likely remove the old wax, like I said. And so it's perfectly okay to wax immediately after the clay process, provided your paint finish does not need polishing, in which case you would go to this step.

As for how often you should strip out the old wax and start anew, I would say no more than once a year, in the spring is what works best for me. And use a product like P21S Paintwork Cleanser, which is specifically made for wax removal. Don't go cheap and use harsh dishwashing detergents like Dawn which can prematurely dry out your rubber molding over time. Be gentle to your car and your paint and you will keep your new car looking new for years to come.

Everybody has to make a decision.

Are you going to own a car which has light to moderate wear and tear or are you going to commit to being the conservator of a museum-quality specimen?

The fact is - if you drive the car and also want to keep it near-concours quality - because of repeated impurities removal you will be constantly fussing with the clear coat and will wear it down sooner.

If you take reasonable care of your _driving_ car you can give it a nice polish every few years or just before you trade it in.

I don't think I'd buy a car from a guy who owns a machine polisher because I figure he's screwed up the longevity of the paint.

Anyway, this whole thing of attempting to keep the car immaculate over the long term is moot because electronics, software, and cost-of-repair issues, mean that the car's going to be impossible to keep for a long time anyway.

IMO, just wash and wax (correctly) when you feel like it so the car looks good. Try not to get trapped into making extreme car maintenance into a personal statement to prove to the driving public and the people around you, what kind of person you might be.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Everybody has to make a decision.

Are you going to own a car which has light to moderate wear and tear or are you going to commit to being the conservator of a museum-quality specimen?

The fact is - if you drive the car and also want to keep it near-concours quality - because of repeated impurities removal you will be constantly fussing with the clear coat and will wear it down sooner.

If you take reasonable care of your _driving_ car you can give it a nice polish every few years or just before you trade it in.

I don't think I'd buy a car from a guy who owns a machine polisher because I figure he's screwed up the longevity of the paint.

Anyway, this whole thing of attempting to keep the car immaculate over the long term is moot because electronics, software, and cost-of-repair issues, mean that the car's going to be impossible to keep for a long time anyway.

IMO, just wash and wax (correctly) when you feel like it so the car looks good. Try not to get trapped into making extreme car maintenance into a personal statement to prove to the driving public and the people around you, what kind of person you might be.

Agreed 100% Very sensible and practical advice. It's very obvious to me that your view has developed based on many years experience. It takes wisdom and maturity to sense what constitutes an acceptable compromise.

I fully agree with you!

Mainly with that magic word "correctly" at the end of your post that unavoidably expresses what we are all passionately looking for in any of our every day practices. To do thinks as correct as possible, that's the underlying motivation for posting this thread.

With due respect the rest is just personal views that I do definitely value but don't actually share with you.

Quote:
    MMD said:

....what kind of person you might be.

Nobody is advocating going to extremes, Marcel, and so your argument is moot.

There are those who mod their cars to their little heart's desire and that's perfectly fine, as they have the right to do what they wish with what is rightfully theirs.

There are sloppy slovens in the world who don't care what they look like to themselves nor to others; and then there are neat individuals who do care what they look like to themselves and to others.

No one needs to tell us who is whom. It is obvious by their appearance what kind of person they really might be.

@OCBen

So surprised to hear you're not aware of the Swisswax (former Swissol) care system. I attach for you their amazing handbook and at a later post I'll get back with a couple of issues as a result of studying both yours and theirs approach.

P/S As soon as you have the attachment downloaded by right clicking on the <attachment> change the extension from php to zip. A little trick for the system that only accepts bmp, jpg, pdf

OCBen just a couple of quick questions

While in the http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=223192 you mention "BUT, before you clay and after you wash, you'll need to remove the old wax first so you can get down to the bare paint where these contaminants have attached themselves", in this thread you just skip this old wax removal step just by saying "if you're using regular clay, it will likely remove the old wax".

Which of two is the right thing?

Second, assuming that washing is taking place on a weeklly basis is claying/polishing/waxing required each time? If not, how does the care goes on?

TIA

Just a sample of my Swisswax tools and the before/after of the rim/pneu

Photo 1
    Wheel Cleaning System made up of>
    # Wheel concentrate
    # Mixing Bottle
    # Two Brushes
    # Micro Wash Cloth
    # Latex Gloves
    # Sponge
    # Autobahn Wheel Wax
    # Atomizer
    # Pneu (Tyre and Rubber Protector)
    # Karcher High Pressure Cleaner 4.98 w/vario-power spray lance

Photo #2
    Before status

Photo #3
    After status (no wheel wax applied yet)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763209 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435768 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260727 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257717 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81002 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872649 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808136 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM