Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Automatic or Manual

If it were me I would get the manual. If you gotta have a auto now, than I would buy a slightly used tip. Let someone else take the huge depreciation hit. When/if you are ready than move to the pdk.

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Thank you all - this helps a lot! You all are confirming my concerns. I think, this car will 95% driven by myself. So - I will just make the decision to get an manual and my wife will accept that because she got her new Cooper S in Auto . Anyway - I want to have a sporty car. For cruising I have my BMW with Adaptive Cruise Control.

But still, I think the major point of making the decision is, that the TiptronicS is just 5 or even 10 years behind any other developments and this clearly sucks. So having a state of the art Sportscar with a Tranny like a Granny - I rather push the clutch again,

cheers and so much thanks again, [Email]L@rs[/Email]

I'm new here so forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm taling about....

I have a 2005 997 S Tip... It's my first Porsche and I haven't even driven a manual, so I don't know the difference... I was looking at other cars that had paddles and liked the way it felt... I'm a little dissapointed with the tip but nothing I can do about it now. I may sell it and get another Porsche, or maybe a Ferrari or Lambo? But I have a question regarding this post...

When is the facelifted 997S coming out? and

What exactly is PDK, is it a new transmission with paddles?

I appreciate any info I can get!

Thanks!

Marc

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    I'm new here so forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm taling about....

I have a 2005 997 S Tip... It's my first Porsche and I haven't even driven a manual, so I don't know the difference... I was looking at other cars that had paddles and liked the way it felt... I'm a little dissapointed with the tip but nothing I can do about it now. I may sell it and get another Porsche, or maybe a Ferrari or Lambo? But I have a question regarding this post...

Thanks!

Marc

Rumors about Porsche abound. It has been stated (theory!) that the MY09 cars will have a minor facelift (things like rear LED lights, larger side mirrors (EU driven!) and Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) in the engines for greater power production and mileage. Whether PDK will arrive at the same time is a big debate. If you know Porsche they don't release anything until it's just right, so if there have been problems it may be delayed.

Dan

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

Thanks!

Marc

Rumors about Porsche abound. It has been stated (theory!) that the MY09 cars will have a minor facelift (things like rear LED lights, larger side mirrors (EU driven!) and Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) in the engines for greater power production and mileage. Whether PDK will arrive at the same time is a big debate. If you know Porsche they don't release anything until it's just right, so if there have been problems it may be delayed.

Dan

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

Thanks!

Marc

Dan

Hey Dan,

Glitch in the Matrix or...

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Thank you all - this helps a lot! You all are confirming my concerns. I think, this car will 95% driven by myself. So - I will just make the decision to get an manual and my wife will accept that because she got her new Cooper S in Auto . Anyway - I want to have a sporty car. For cruising I have my BMW with Adaptive Cruise Control.

But still, I think the major point of making the decision is, that the TiptronicS is just 5 or even 10 years behind any other developments and this clearly sucks. So having a state of the art Sportscar with a Tranny like a Granny - I rather push the clutch again,

cheers and so much thanks again, [Email]L@rs[/Email]

I especially like the phrase "tranny like a granny"...

Quote:
    Neil Schneider said:
    If it were me I would get the manual. If you gotta have a auto now, than I would buy a slightly used tip. Let someone else take the huge depreciation hit. When/if you are ready than move to the pdk.

That would be a good alternativ as well!

Its funny that so many of you are anxious for PDK (even those who don't know what it is). Like most speculation, the fun is in the anticipation, not the arrival. Whenever PDK arrives, two weeks later people will be griping and wondering when PDK 2.0 will be out. (Yes, I might have to change my screen name... eventually.)

Quote:
    Dan L said:Rumors about Porsche abound. It has been stated (theory!) that the MY09 cars will have a minor facelift (things like rear LED lights, larger side mirrors (EU driven!) and Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) in the engines for greater power production and mileage. Whether PDK will arrive at the same time is a big debate. If you know Porsche they don't release anything until it's just right, so if there have been problems it may be delayed.

Dan

These are not rumors. These are facts stated by PCA's Panorama. And BTW... these are not 09 models; they will be 08 models released this Fall.

Manual.
    It's got to have three pedals.
    I have two daughters 12 and 16. Both of them and my wife can drive a manual (and have driven my 997S).
    It's not just childs play but it is the fun you paid for!!!
    I learned on a dogleg 5-speed '72 914 when I was 15 - 28 years ago! That was a real beast of a transmission and clutch to learn on. The most fun I think I ever had was trying to get that 914 to move quickly.

Used automatic Porsches do look appealing as they are dirt cheap. Carefully consider this if buying one new.

The resale hit with a Cab is not as bad - but an Auto, Cab is a chicks car.

One week lease makes sense to me! That will cure the urge.

In terms of wife - She drives a G35 6-speed, with aggression! Black/ fully tinted windows. If I buy a manual 911 she will divorce me.

Driving a sports car with an automatic is like taking a shower with a raincoat on. Old line, but still applies for me.

My mom has been a manual-tranny maniac her entire life, now 64, driving a 6-speed 350Z.

My wife prefers automatics, but never once lobbied me on the spec of my Porsche. She drives it occassionally, and does a decent job with the manual, and has no complaints.

Sounds like you already made the right decision, I just wanted to chime-in...

BTW, MMD, I got a decent amount of track-time in Canada in an '05 M3 SMG. I'm surprised by your affinity for it.

Nobody involved in the track day (including a couple of SCCA veterans) had anything positive to say about it. We all adored the chassis and the engine and the steering, but the gearbox was so sluggish it was an irritant to me. As the day wore on, the M3 spent more and more time parked, as other far more fun manual-tranny offerings were being joyfully beaten to a pulp!! (Note to dealers, NEVER loan cars to a TV program for a customer-appreciation track day.... )

But I'll always be a manual-shift dude, period. There's an interaction there, a human link between the power and its application, that screams "involvement" to me, and satisfies just as communicative steering and chassis does. I don't care if somebody invents a DSG that shifts into the next gear in 1/2 a nano-second by neuro-intuition...

Sorry man, I'm not trying to diss your Bimmer, I'm just perplexed on that tranny..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781567 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442740 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263436 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261812 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85922 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5968 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881581 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819391 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM