Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: 2018 Porsche Cayenne

World premiere of the new Cayenne in Zuffenhausen

New engines, new chassis, innovative control concept and more connectivity: Porsche is introducing the third generation of the Cayenne.

Porsche held a spectacular event on Tuesday in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen to unveil the new Cayenne. The third generation of the successful model, more than 760,000 units of which have been sold since 2002, is a completely new development. The vehicle will combine even more of the typical Porsche performance with excellent everyday practicality. Despite its extended standard equipment, the Cayenne is up to 65 kilograms lighter thanks to its intelligent lightweight construction. At launch, two turbocharged six-cylinder petrol engines will be available, with 250 kW (340 hp; Fuel consumption combined 9.2–9.0 l/100 km; CO2-emissions 209–205 g/km) in the Cayenne and 324 kW (440 hp; Fuel consumption combined 9.4–9.2 l/100 km; CO2- emissions 213–209 g/km) in the Cayenne S.

“We have completely redeveloped our successful model. It has been visibly and tangibly improved and perfected in all respects. The Cayenne has also been digitalised and networked throughout to give it a forward-thinking design”, says Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board at Porsche AG.

More Porsche, more Cayenne

Porsche has also enhanced the look of the Cayenne significantly: “Our primary objective was to accentuate the character of the vehicle. More Porsche, more Cayenne. The new Cayenne is more precise, elegant, athletic and expressive”, says Michael Mauer, Director of Style at Porsche AG, who unveiled the style of the new Cayenne alongside Peter Varga (Director Exterior Design) and Ivo van Hulten (Director Interior Design).

The first appearance of the new Cayenne at the Porsche Museum was accompanied by “Sinfonie des Lebens” (Symphony of Life), a piece composed by Jesse Milliner and performed by the Bohemian Symphony Orchestra Prague and the wind ensemble from the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, a partner of Porsche. The symphony was complemented by dancers, live musicians and an elaborate light show.

Cayenne and Cayenne S market launch

The new Porsche SUV is launching in two variants: The Cayenne with a six-cylinder turbo engine and displacement of three litres delivers 250 kW (340 hp), developing a torque of 450 Nm. That means that even the standard model achieves outstanding driving performance: It accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 6.2 seconds (5.9 seconds with the Sport Chrono Package). The maximum speed is 245 km/h. The second model to launch is the Cayenne S. It is driven by a 2.9-litre V6 engine with twin turbocharging. This engine, which has also been newly developed, delivers 324 kW (440 hp), achieving a torque of 550 Nm – 15 kW (20 hp) more than its predecessor. Accordingly, the vehicle accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in just 5.2 seconds (with Sport Chrono Package: 4.9 seconds). The maximum speed is 265 km/h. 

The Cayenne is based heavily on the iconic 911 sports car: The third edition of the SUV, which has also been enhanced visually, now has mixed tyres and rear-axle steering for the first time. In addition to these typical sports car features, the onroad capabilities are further improved by active all-wheel drive as standard, Porsche 4D Chassis Control, three-chamber air suspension and the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) electronic roll stabilisation system. Despite its significantly extended standard equipment, the Cayenne weighs up to 65 kilograms less than its predecessor and remains perfectly suited to off-road use.

Faster on the road, even more impressive on rough terrain: Tiptronic S and PTM

The Cayenne’s expanded performance range, improving both sportiness and comfort, is due in no small part to the new eightspeed Tiptronic S gearbox. Shorter response times and sportier ratios in the lower gears enhance both on-road performance and off-road capability. At the other end of the expanded spread between comfort and sportiness, the long-transmission eighth gear ensures low torques, optimised fuel consumption and relaxed driving.

The new Cayenne offers even more potential when it comes to sporty performance. Porsche has redeveloped the Sport Chrono Package based on the model of the sports car. The Mode button on the steering wheel is one clear indicator of this approach. As well as the Normal, Sport and Sport Plus driving modes, the driver can select an individually configurable mode. Pressing the Sport Response button in the centre activates the engine and transmission maps, which are calibrated for maximum performance. The Sport Chrono Package also includes a separate PSM Sport mode, in which the driver can utilise the new Cayenne’s full driving dynamics.

Reduced weight - lower fuel consumption - even more driving pleasure

Sports cars need a lightweight construction. Following the 911 and the Panamera, the new body of the Cayenne also uses an intelligent combination of alloy and steel. The exterior is made entirely of aluminium. The floorpan assembly, front section and virtually all the chassis components are also manufactured from alloy.

One particular technical highlight is the innovative lithium-ion polymer starter battery, which alone accounts for a weight saving of 10 kg over the predecessor model. In total, the weight of the Cayenne when empty has been reduced from 2,040 to 1,985 kilograms – even in spite of the significantly extended standard equipment, which now includes LED main headlights, larger wheels, ParkAssist (front and rear), an LTE telephone module including a WiFi hotspot, Porsche Connect services and anticipatory pedestrian protection.

Porsche is offering a new three-stage lighting concept for the headlights: Every Cayenne is fitted with LED headlights as standard. In the next upgrade, the Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) can be selected as an option, offering a variety of light modes such as cornering light and motorway light.

Cayenne: Fuel consumption combined 9.2–9.0 l/100 km; CO2-emissions 209–205 g/km
    Cayenne S: Fuel consumption combined 9.4–9.2 l/100 km; CO2-emissions 213–209 g/km

Re: OFFICIAL: 2018 Porsche Cayenne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TZs5WFjHYQ

Big yawn! Was this all they could come up with after years of development? Not a single new innovation to reveal. And what a horrible fuel consumption.

Porsche for sure lost their touch.

So the 3 liter 6 cylinder single turbo is not the same motor as the 3 liter 6 cylinder twin turbo from my Macan S? Getting confused with these motors, which ones are Audi, VW or Porsche. And the Cayenne S uses a twin turbo 2.9 6 cylinder which is the same as the Audi RS4 motor? Both of which are smaller than the twin turbos (3 & 3.5 L) in the Macan. I think I will look at either the GLC43 or GLC63 as a replacement for my Q7, and strangely enough the GLC63 is a bigger motor than the GLC43, even has two more cylinders! Irony off.

Design wise, I concur, a little boring looks like a facelifted Cayenne.

AJ

Well...I'm kinda disappointed. I know Porsche are keeping their "evolution and not revolution" way, but hey it's should be a NEW Cayenne and not another facelift look Cayenne model. The tail of the Cayenne has to be fixed for generations and finally they fixed it and now it looks much more as a Porsche family member, but the front part are definitely boring and missing something. Maybe its because of many plastic parts, grill, bonnet angle...its hard to say, but the car didn't empress me at all...not like it was with the new Panamera which finally looks and drives fantastic IMO. I'm very curious to see the facelift of this "facelift". Looks like Porsche ran out their design ideas and stopped trying..."Lets take Macan front and Panamera's back and viola....you have a new Cayenne!". Who cares, still will sell good, why work harder? I'm starting to worry about the 992 design...

--

How could anyone be impressed by a SUV?

The recipe is everywhere the same. A foundation with an degree of practicality and utility ornamented with the marque's styling cues.

Look at the SUVs from BMW, Audi and Jaguar  to the more high-end brands like Bentley and Maserati. They follow the same pattern.

The new Cayenne design is nondescript but still pleasing.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The recipe is everywhere the same. A foundation with an degree of practicality and utility ornamented with the marque's styling cues.

Look at the SUVs from BMW, Audi and Jaguar  to the more high-end brands like Bentley and Maserati. They follow the same pattern.

The new Cayenne design is nondescript but still pleasing.

I was very impressed by the new look of the new Mercedes GLE '17 and was expecting from P to do some more significant and radical changes to the new Cayenne. If you ask me, Cayenne should have the shape of the GLE from the start, IMO

--

reginos:

Oh, you surely can... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Put Panamera tail lights and some Porsche style headlights on this one and  it would be the best looking Cayenne for MY taste. I find this shape have much more Porsche'sh (from 911 and Panamera DNA) than the Cayenne

2017-Mercedes-GLE-side-e1445415882706.jpg

--

SportCarGroup:

Put Panamera tail lights and some Porsche style headlights on this one and  it would be the best looking Cayenne for MY taste. I find this shape have much more Porsche'sh (from 911 and Panamera DNA) than the Cayenne

2017-Mercedes-GLE-side-e1445415882706.jpg

--

Agreed!

Starting Prices in Germany

Cayenne - 75k

Cayenne S - 92k

Another 10 years and the base price will start from 100k

Here is a bit more visual explanation to what I am trying to say about Porsche DNA on this Merc..991 GT3 elements on the rear, 991 Turbo exhaust, side texture similar to Panamera and the whole roof line reminds of 911 shape. Cayenne like this would definitely impress me :)

sample.jpg

--

In think the Mercedes above is too much Mercedes to be Porsche. It has all the design language of the C,E and S class coupe cars.

Anyway, there is rumoured to be a Cayenne Coupe with the new generation which will be probably look more adventurous.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Anyway, there is rumoured to be a Cayenne Coupe with the new generation which will be probably look more adventurous.

I really hope so :) because the current Cayenne is starting to look like Kia Sportage Smiley

--

angry

I was hoping that Porsche would not apply to the SUV's their "evolution, not revolution" approach to styling. After all, what is iconic about the Cayenne shape? Missed opportunity, imo.

It looks good to me. And I wasn't expecting anything else. They have lowered the body line and I'm sure it will look good in the in the metal. 

I'm much more reserved on the engine choice for the cayenne and the cayenne S. If I'm not mistaken, these are the same 2.9l V6 Audi uses in the S4 and S5. 

On another note, I just configured a base cayenne and ended-up at 93k, which is not that bad when you compare it  with the MSRP of a Macan S that has 10 bhp more or even a Macan GTS. The cayenne is also far cheaper than the new Panamera.

KMM:

I was hoping that Porsche would not apply to the SUV's their "evolution, not revolution" approach to styling. After all, what is iconic about the Cayenne shape? Missed opportunity, imo.

+1

--

Does anyone know about this?

"Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB). Hinweis: Frühestens verfügbar ab 12/2017

Bremsanlage mit Keramik beschichteten Bremsscheiben (Wolframcarbid). Zur Verbesserung des Ansprechverhaltens, der Fadingstabilität und einer deutlichen Reduzierung der Bremsstaubbildung. Ein weiterer Vorteil ist die Korrosionsbeständigkeit der Bremsscheiben, auch bei längerer Standzeit. Weiß lackierte Bremssättel verleihen der Bremse eine einzigartige Optik. 
    – Bremsscheiben innenbelüftet 
    – Verbund-Bremsscheiben an der Vorderachse mit Bremstöpfen aus Aluminium 
    – Bremsscheibendurchmesser 415 mm vorn und 365 mm hinten 
    – 10-Kolben-Bremssättel an der Vorderachse und 4-Kolben-Bremssättel an der Hinterachse 
    – Bremssättel in Weiß"

It's a 3.000€ option, in comparison with the 9.000€ of the PCCB:

"Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB). Hinweis: Frühestens verfügbar ab 12/2017

Keramikbremsanlage mit kohlefaserverstärkten Keramikbremsscheiben. 
    – Bremsscheiben innenbelüftet und gelocht 
    – Bremsscheibendurchmesser 440 mm vorn und 410 mm hinten 
    – 10-Kolben-Bremssättel an der Vorderachse und 4-Kolben-Bremssättel an der Hinterachse 
    – Bremssättel in Gelb"

I think they really nailed the back of the new cayenne... elegant but still sporty, and adapting well the corporate look to a SUV. Nice job.

But then it seems that after doing the rear they went on vacation and blew the front part and signed off on it... what a missed opportunity, there is virtually no change in the front and the front wasnt exactly the cayenne's best part... They could of even kept the front lights if they love then so much that they barely touched them, but just giving the front intakes some more aggressiveness (more open and more marked and angular edges) would of made such a huge difference... Oh well, maybe they are reserving just that for the Turbo, but by doing that they have made the regular Cayenne very bland looking.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Porsche is doing to the Cayenne line what it is doing to the 911 line: boring evolutions. Well at least it is nicer looking than the previous two tries... The first two were the best though.

I sympathize with the Porsche designers in that it is very difficult to design the front of the non-sportscars because Porsche have no corporate grille to be stuck at the front and to  fill in the large opening in the body which is the intake area, like all other manufacturers.

This leaves a huge uncovered space that can only be decorated with slats and by varying the geometry of the orifices. But a hole is a hole whatever its shape.

Just to highlight this I remember reading what the long time Mercedes designer once said in a tongue in cheek way: "At Mercedes we only have to worry about designing the back of the car because the front is always taken by the Mercedes grille"

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos from Spain:

I think they really nailed the back of the new cayenne... elegant but still sporty, and adapting well the corporate look to a SUV. Nice job.

But then it seems that after doing the rear they went on vacation and blew the front part and signed off on it... what a missed opportunity, there is virtually no change in the front and the front wasnt exactly the cayenne's best part... They could of even kept the front lights if they love then so much that they barely touched them, but just giving the front intakes some more aggressiveness (more open and more marked and angular edges) would of made such a huge difference... Oh well, maybe they are reserving just that for the Turbo, but by doing that they have made the regular Cayenne very bland looking.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Well said 

True. Back is nice (although a bit boring), interior is great and front is...meh.

My Mercedes dealer just made me a good offer for a GLC 63 S AMG Edition 1 (worth 130k EUR) I probably cannot refuse. I always loved the Cayenne but for this kind of money, I would probably drive a Cayenne Diesel (if there is going to be one) and not a V8 Biturbo with 510 hp. The Cayenne just got too expensive for what it offers and unfortunately, the Macan is not different and doesn't even offer a V8.

For a family car, the Cayenne just became too expensive (for me).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

so bored by it that I actually cannot even find the right words to express my opinion indecision

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I'm really not sure where Porsche is heading these days. Perhaps I should put it another way: I'm not sure about who is heading Porsche these days.

Some of the decisions and views expressed by management seem alien to me.

I don't know why you guys are so harsh on Porsche and the new Cayenne. Styling wise, the gen3 is just an evolution of the gen2 but I don't remember the gen2 being trashed like this new one. I understand that some might have hoped for a more radical change but we are talking about a big fat SUV and even the greatest designer on earth won't be able to do much more. 

IMHO, the gen3 looks better from every angle even though the changes are subtle. At least, it won't make the Gen2 look outdated right away. 

What I really don't like about Porsche right now is their option list strategy. For both the Macan and the Panamera, you have to add the sport package for the exterior and it's like 5 or 6k. For that price, you get different bumpers front and rear, sideskirts and some front and rear elements in black. Then you have to upgrade the front lights to led and bigger wheels are a must too. 

I bet Porsche is going to the same with the Cayenne. It will look far better with some of those upgrades but you'll have to fork out another 10K to make it look like a GTS model (which should be the std look of it as it's a Porsche and not an Audi or VW.

delete

amazon:

I don't know why you guys are so harsh on Porsche and the new Cayenne. Styling wise, the gen3 is just an evolution of the gen2 but I don't remember the gen2 being trashed like this new one. I understand that some might have hoped for a more radical change but we are talking about a big fat SUV and even the greatest designer on earth won't be able to do much more. 

Well, that's because while gen 2 isn't amazing either, gen 1 is one of the ugliest Porsches ever made. People expected something fresh and instead they got what seems like more of a facelift. I honestly didn't even know it was going to be a next generation Cayenne until I read the thread saying so. It just doesn't really look like a car you want to have 6 years from now. Will be very stale in the not too distant future, whereas you're going to have very modern looking things from the likes of Audi, etc.

The new Cayenne isn't bad looking by any means, but it's getting stale.

I think it will be a very easy choice between the Audi Q8 and the Cayenne. Jag iPace will be interesting too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690123 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409525 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255872 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65609 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858274 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774440 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM