Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Natural Leather

I was idly leafing through the 997 order guide yesterday and was puzzled by the fact that Porsche called not only "Brown" and "Gray" but also "Cocoa" and "Terracotta" as "Natural" leathers. I thought it was only the first two. What gives?

MTIA

Re: Natural Leather

Interesting, I checked the US Ordering Guide too after reading your post.

In my view, it's just loosely worded (probably because it's been written by PCNA rather than PAG itself).

AFAIK terracotta and cocoa are 'special order colours' not 'special quality' leathers like natural brown and dark grey are.

I think the prices also reflect this:

Standard full leather: US$3365
    Natural brown or dark grey: US$4875
    Special colour terracotta/cocoa: US$3675

I thought too that only natural leather brown and NL grey exist, but am about 99% sure I have seen cars with both "NL terracota" and "NL cocoa" at dealers in Los Angeles. (The NL terracota was at Auto Gallery I believe.) I did not ask how they were ordered though (code, etc.).

BTW, "easy_rider," I've come across a few of your old posts during various searches on options for my upcoming TT. They have been accurate and helpful.Thank you.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Interesting, I checked the US Ordering Guide too after reading your post.

In my view, it's just loosely worded (probably because it's been written by PCNA rather than PAG itself).

AFAIK terracotta and cocoa are 'special order colours' not 'special quality' leathers like natural brown and dark grey are.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

That's right, cocoa/terrarcotta are the special colours, natural brown (=light brown) and dark grey are so called natural leather.

Anybody can explain the difference in feel at "natural" leather versus "unnatural" leather?

Except...

In the official order guide all four colors are denoted as "Natural". Can some one explain the $1000 difference between "Natural Terracotta" and "Natural Brown"?

MTIA

Re: Except...

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    In the official order guide all four colors are denoted as "Natural". Can some one explain the $1000 difference between "Natural Terracotta" and "Natural Brown"?

MTIA

It must have something to do with the quality of the leather. If I remember correctly the dearer natural leather is treated with less chemical substances, which results to a less artifical look and feel, but also makes it more delicate to handle.

But don't nail me down to that!

What little I know of this (i.e. Please don't hold me to this explanation ): Natural leather is the top quality leather that is selected because it has no scar/blemish/wrinkles from the cow's tummy /etc. I believe the term is "aniline leather," i.e. the leather is dyed for color but not pigmented.

The lower quality leather is pigmented to hide the blemishes, and I think the grain is embossed onto the leather surface to hide the defects. It is therefore not considered "natural."

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

That's right, cocoa/terrarcotta are the special colours, natural brown (=light brown) and dark grey are so called natural leather.

Anybody can explain the difference in feel at "natural" leather versus "unnatural" leather?

Quote:
    Le Chef said:

MTIA

The difference is: "They can get it".

Porsche has a habit of changing which of their colors are upcharges from year to year.

I did some research on this some time back when I ordered my natural brown interior. The natural leathers are sourced from the top 5-10% of the leather out there available for interiors. That's top of the quality pile. They are aniline dyed (vat) and the noteworthy part is thay they are not 'embellished' in any way. The vast majority of the leathers are treated to a series of processes to make them look better than they are. They are frequently sanded, embossed, and even painted to get the look they're are shooting for. One of the easiest tests is the smell test. Go find a coupe with natural leather,--and open the door and stick your head in. Then do that with a cocoa. Big difference. Now do the tactile test. Feel the two leathers. The natural feels more like a high quality Coach purse or handbag. The other really does give away that its been doctored. Frankly, I have been surprised at the durability of the natural. I thought it might be more susceptible to damage. It's not.

Dan

Your explanation highlights the difference between the first two and all the other standard leathers, but are Terracota and Cocoa "natural" as you define them, or only by Porsche's definition? It would be interesting to hear Porsche's definition.

It's all just a little too easy to be confused...

I think the leather terms are "full grain" for uncorrected surface and "top grain" for corrected surface.
    The smell difference also maybe contributed by tanning (chrome tanned or veg(oak) tanned).
    I have terracotta leather and it looks like semi-aniline dyed to me (i.e. aniline dyed and protective(pigment) coated surface).

Cocoa and Terracotta have never been considered as "natural leather" by Porsche Germany. If you read "Natural Leather Cocoa" somewhere, it must have been a mistake by PCNA. If you heard it from your dealer, he is either clueless or untrustworthy.

By the way, I just checked out the 2007 Porsche 997 Ordering Guide and the 2007 997 Turbo Product Information Guide, and never once did they call Cocoa or Terracotta "Natural Leathers". The US customer brochure did not address this particular issue, whereas the German customer brochure called it "Special leather" just like the others.

Pages 8 & 9

Of the official 07 997 Cab Order Guide on Renntech, dated October 06 clearly calls Terracotta, Cocoa, Brown, and Gray "Natural Leather".

So either PCNA were happy with this description, or they didn't have it checked by legal before it went out. It could be that this version has been superceded but I would have expected Renntech to have the most up-to-date version on the site.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I did some research on this some time back when I ordered my natural brown interior. The natural leathers are sourced from the top 5-10% of the leather out there available for interiors. That's top of the quality pile. They are aniline dyed (vat) and the noteworthy part is thay they are not 'embellished' in any way. The vast majority of the leathers are treated to a series of processes to make them look better than they are. They are frequently sanded, embossed, and even painted to get the look they're are shooting for. One of the easiest tests is the smell test. Go find a coupe with natural leather,--and open the door and stick your head in. Then do that with a cocoa. Big difference. Now do the tactile test. Feel the two leathers. The natural feels more like a high quality Coach purse or handbag. The other really does give away that its been doctored. Frankly, I have been surprised at the durability of the natural. I thought it might be more susceptible to damage. It's not.

Dan

Thanks, Dan, for this definition. I have been a fan of natural leather for a long time and when I have mentioned that I was considering ordering it (dark grey) a chorus of "not worth the extra money," "looks too much like black," etc. has greeted me from well-meaning Porsche friends. To me, the natural leathers are extemely elegant and the qualitative difference between them and the standard and even special leathers is subtle but palpable. Especially the muted charcoal-colored carpet of the natural grey interior pleases me more than straight black. But, hey, I understand that most people don't buy Porsches for their interiors. And that natural leather is a very expensive option that one probably does not get back on resale. Nonetheless, I have ordered it on my GT3, and even thrown in a leather covered console, hatch cover, and shift level trim. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

When you opt for a full leather interior the tiny step up to natural leather is not really that far. The comments from others on the interior in natural leather are alone worth the price of admission. I suspect that an error was made in calling the Terracotta and the Cocoa "natural." Special leather, perhaps, but not natural,--especially the cocoa which is doctored significantly to get that marbled rye look...

dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    When you opt for a full leather interior the tiny step up to natural leather is not really that far.

I agree - and IMO you definitely can feel the difference.
    If I wouldn't have chosen the Cocoa for it's special appearance I would have picked the Natural Leather.

In the German order guide they distinct:

1. Leder (standard colours)

2. Sonderleder (Special Leather Cocoa + Terracotta, though I don't believe that there is a difference compared to "Leder" in terms of quality)

3. Naturleder (Natural Leather) - better quality (like explained in your earlier post)

Thanks PJ!

Thanks Porsche-Jeck for quoting the original German language terminology. So when PCNA calls cocoa "natural leather cocoa", that's plain wrong and an example of lazy, inaccurate translation.

Re: Thanks PJ!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    So when PCNA calls cocoa "natural leather cocoa", that's plain wrong and an example of lazy, inaccurate translation.

Exactly - they should do their homework better
    BTW you also may have a look at the car configurator on the P-website

I guess Porsche-speak is not for everybody
    Just found out yesterday that on Sportauto's website there is a new nice feature (list of all HHR/NBR laptimes from their Supertests) and guess what - they only had Boxters listed instead of Boxsters
    I typed a nice e-mail and they fixed it within hours

Interestingly...

The ONLY order guide that shows all four of those colors as "Natural" is the one for Cabs. The Coupe, Targa and TT guides call Terracotta and Cocoa "Special" and Gray and Brown as "Natural". Somebody forget to check the copy!

Yep - it really annoys me when people spell it "Boxter".

I try very hard not to make typos, even here on rennteam where these are just casual posts between petrolheads like us, but in anything formal or published, typos are just plain sloppy and careless. It reflects badly on us. Like wearing a crumpled shirt to the office.

What annoys me even more is poor grammar. It seems people care far less than they used to about speaking in an articulate manner. I think emails and text messaging haven't helped with this either nor does the fact that so many people get their information from watching TV rather than reading the written word.

Nowadays people just don't seem to care about using tenses (like the pluperfect) correctly anymore. Also people don't differentiate between the indicative and subjunctive moods properly. One hardly hears people using third person singular sentences anymore. Instead of "If one did X", we hear "If you did X". It's just not correct. All this grammatical rigour went when Latin was no longer taught in state schools. I am so glad I was lucky enough to learn Latin.

I am also tired of listening to people who use the word "like" as a space filler as in "It was like soooo gross man". Please could today's youth stop massacring the English language. Shakespeare, Dickens, Milton and Chaucer are no doubt turning in their graves. Thank goodness they never had to watch MTV!

Today's youth in the UK can't even speak their own language properly let alone speak foreign languages. So many of them speak 'estuary English' or refer to the letter "H" as "haitch" rather than "aitch". It seems that the word "nothing" has been replaced by the word "nuthink".

Sorry for ranting - there's not a lot I rant about but language is one such topic very close to my heart. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned when it comes to these matters...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Today's youth in the UK can't even speak their own language properly let alone speak foreign languages. So many of them speak 'estuary English' or refer to the letter "H" as "haitch" rather than "aitch". It seems that the word "nothing" has been replaced by the word "nuthink".

Sorry for ranting - there's not a lot I rant about but language is one such topic very close to my heart. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned when it comes to these matters...

LoL - I feel the same Though I cannot contribute a lot in turning Rennteam into a place with proper English grammar I can assure you that we face the same problems in Germany (and it's not only uneducated people using this kind of New-Speak, it's even promoted in the TV news)
    Politicians also are serving as very bad examples
    Maybe you should open a new thread in the OT Board - it's an interesting topic

Hello,

So it's safe to assume the following is an error? (Taken from Auto Gallery, a dealer in Los Angeles.) Incidentally, does anyone happen to know who enters the data on these web sites? PCNA or the dealer?

http://autogallery.porschedealer.com/new_cars/info.php?inventoryid=287541

2007 Porsche Carrera C4S Cabriolet
    VIN ***********776626
    Stock ID
    Transmission 6-Speed Manual
    Exterior Arctic Silver Metallic / Cocoa Top
    Interior Natural Leather Cocoa
    Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Cocoa and Terracotta have never been considered as "natural leather" by Porsche Germany. If you read "Natural Leather Cocoa" somewhere, it must have been a mistake by PCNA. If you heard it from your dealer, he is either clueless or untrustworthy.

By the way, I just checked out the 2007 Porsche 997 Ordering Guide and the 2007 997 Turbo Product Information Guide, and never once did they call Cocoa or Terracotta "Natural Leathers". The US customer brochure did not address this particular issue, whereas the German customer brochure called it "Special leather" just like the others.

Like wow, dude....

Just kidding, easy_rider911. Couldn't resist. But yes, I don't have much respect for those who choose to knowingly or unknowingly massacre the language we call English.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763775 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436132 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82575 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876459 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM