Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Roll Cage or NO?

What are the main purpose of the roll cage?

Why just half in most GT2/3?

Roll cage makes the chassis stronger and handles better?

Is it good to have roll cage for street/track cars?

The half roll cage isn't light!

Walter Röhrl doesn't use the roll cage in his RS.

Official Porsches break the time record on Nürburgring don't have roll cages too.

That's mean saving weight is the main factor for a sport car? Or Porsche chassis are strong enough?

Re: Roll Cage or NO?

To protect the occupants in addition to stiffen the chassis, especially for roll-over.

All PCA DEs require rollbar cages once you get into the advanced run groups. Safety first, wieght consideration second.

If you are going to track the car with any regularity (by this I mean more than a handful of times in total throughout the length of ownership) and do not have much need for the so called seats in the back, get the half cage.

It is bolted into the chassis and will significantly strengthen and stiffen the car. It can be put in and out though it takes around an hour. If you are going to use harnesses in the car it is a must and new PCA regulations will NOT allow you to use harnesess without a roll bar and proper seats.

"Walter Röhrl doesn't use the roll cage in his RS."

Yea,--his comment is something like: "I drive on the wheels, not the roof."

dan

No one intends to drive on the roof...

There's an old track saying: "There are two types of fast drivers. Those that have hit the wall and those that will hit the wall." Often someone pipes up with "And those that will hit the wall again!"

Most people can't drive a GT3 fast enough to make it a more worthwile car on the track. For many a 997 (or Cayman for that matter) would be an easier and therefore faster car to drive. If you are/can DRIVE a GT3 at or near it's limit (and I don't mean be a passenger in the drivers seat at the limit), there is every reason to have a cage in it.

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    If you are going to track the car with any regularity (by this I mean more than a handful of times in total throughout the length of ownership) and do not have much need for the so called seats in the back, get the half cage.

It is bolted into the chassis and will significantly strengthen and stiffen the car. It can be put in and out though it takes around an hour. If you are going to use harnesses in the car it is a must and new PCA regulations will NOT allow you to use harnesess without a roll bar and proper seats.

I'm not sure to have the roll cage or not.

I am gonna own the car for a long time and gonna track it 10-20 times per year.

So mainly for street use.

Quote:
    Dan L said:

dan

That comment sounds cool, but I not quite understand the meaning.

Anyone can explain to me?

Quote:
    997GT2 said:
    Quote:
    Mithras said:

I'm not sure to have the roll cage or not.

I am gonna own the car for a long time and gonna track it 10-20 times per year.

So mainly for street use.

Will you be using the Carbon buckets or stock sport seats? Are you going to use 5-6-7 point harnesses?

If you're tracking it 10-20 times a year I would assume that you would want harnesses but I know many very good and very fast drivers that don't bother (they however will never be able to fully wring their cars out and will always be leaving something on the table). At a certain point, driving with full race harnesses allows you to worry about driving and not staying in the seat (and stops you from hanging on to the steering wheel and using for what it's made for - Steering!)

If you do choose to use harnesses, there is only one answer, you HAVE to have the cage (or other suitable harness bar, but why not get the other benefits of the cage at the same time?) and you HAVE to have either the Carbon 1 piece GT3 seats or a suitable substitute. Under no circumstances should you drive the car with a harness and stock sport seats, it's safer to use the 3-point ones.

You can use the stock seats and belts with a cage. It won't hold you in the seat any better, but you will be safer in a roll or heavy impact and the car will be stiffer.

Mithras,

Sounds like with Roll Cage is better for me.

I feel bad about I didn't order my GT3 with CS package.

So this time I gonna get the CGT seat!

But I feel bad about the extra weight from the cage, that's about 18kg?

Quote:
    997GT2 said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

dan

That comment sounds cool, but I not quite understand the meaning.

Anyone can explain to me?

The roll cage is meant to protect the driver from injury if a car rolls over.

If it stays upright, i.e., on its wheels instead of its roof, a cage does not help.

Wouldn't a roll cage increase the car's stiffness?

Quote:
    The Groom said:

That's true, but I think the weight gain is too much compared with the stiffness.

That depends. On one hand you have about 35lbs extra weight, but if you have the carbon seats you lose almost that much so it's a wash really. If you are going to run slicks on the car when you track it (and most people I know do this with their 996GT3's. Buying slicks can be much cheaper than burning through street tires all the time) the extra stiffness will be very helpful. And again, if you are going to run with harnesses, you need the cage or something equivalent.

I think (and this is if you are going to track the car) the matter is purely based on how you use the rear of the car. If you don't, then you don't need the space and you may as well put in the cage. If you always have stuff in there (briefcase, coat, groceries) then you will lose the space. If you can'[t live with that, then don't put it in.

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    That depends. On one hand you have about 35lbs extra weight, but if you have the carbon seats you lose almost that much so it's a wash really. If you are going to run slicks on the car when you track it (and most people I know do this with their 996GT3's. Buying slicks can be much cheaper than burning through street tires all the time) the extra stiffness will be very helpful. And again, if you are going to run with harnesses, you need the cage or something equivalent.

I think (and this is if you are going to track the car) the matter is purely based on how you use the rear of the car. If you don't, then you don't need the space and you may as well put in the cage. If you always have stuff in there (briefcase, coat, groceries) then you will lose the space. If you can'[t live with that, then don't put it in.

Thanks.

I don't really need the rear space.

What I concern is the weight, but as you said I think just the safety reason is well enough to have one.

Quote:
    The Groom said:

Sure, but I was just interpreting the comment attributed to Walther Röhrl - as 997GT2 said he had not understood it fully - and WR did not appear to see any urgent need for additional body stiffness.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

Sure, but I was just interpreting the comment attributed to Walther Röhrl - as 997GT2 said he had not understood it fully - and WR did not appear to see any urgent need for additional body stiffness.

I can feel when the car is lighter, so just wondering can you really FEEL the differeces after adding the roll cage?

I think eating a heavy lunch (and the subsequent lethargic feeling) would have more of an effect... In realty there is very little chance that you will truly notice a 1 - 1.25% change in weight. On the other hand you will notice the 10%+ change in stiffness (especially if you use slicks). Put it this way, if you are looking for outright speed on a track, the car with a cage, harnesses and 40lbs heavier will be faster than a car with no cage and regular seats. Especially over the course of a long session where you will tire much faster with the regular belts. It's also safer and allows you to run the car more aggressively (both mentally, where you know you're safer) and physically where you can run a setup that is much harder on the car with less overall stress due to the cage (eg: slicks, stiffer springs, camber and toe).

Mithras,

I have heard some people don't like leather interior in their track cars, any reasons for that?

I don't think leathers are really that heavy and hard to maintain right?

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    I think eating a heavy lunch (and the subsequent lethargic feeling) would have more of an effect... In realty there is very little chance that you will truly notice a 1 - 1.25% change in weight. On the other hand you will notice the 10%+ change in stiffness (especially if you use slicks). Put it this way, if you are looking for outright speed on a track, the car with a cage, harnesses and 40lbs heavier will be faster than a car with no cage and regular seats. Especially over the course of a long session where you will tire much faster with the regular belts. It's also safer and allows you to run the car more aggressively (both mentally, where you know you're safer) and physically where you can run a setup that is much harder on the car with less overall stress due to the cage (eg: slicks, stiffer springs, camber and toe).

Thanks!

Very useful comments!

Leather is slippery and sweaty. Alcantara is neither, which makes it the superior choice. Alcantara also happens to be more durable and very easy to maintain.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Leather is slippery and sweaty.

I know that's the reason for the seat, but some people even don't want the door panels, dashboard in leather?

I suppose it's faux snobbish purism.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I suppose it's faux snobbish purism.

I think so too.

I'd agree with the groom. Alcantara lets you slide around much less than leather. I don't know about its flame retardantsy though. All things being equal, leather is fairly flame-proof (for the length you need anyways). Suede is too. Alcantara though is fake suede and is a man made fabric. I don't know how flame-prone it is. I'd have to think it is less fireproof than leather though.

In the type of track driving most of us would do with these cars though I don't think we really need to worry to much about the flame retardantsy of Alcantara... It's like the old saying about flame-retardant liners in helmets; "If the inside of your helmet is on fire it's probably the least of your worries..."

People like Alcantara for the racer look much like carbon fiber. A race bucket in leather, Alcantara or cloth will all hold you down quite well. I like the tactile feel of Alcantara more than anything else.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688829 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408832 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255585 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234837 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857682 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773581 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM