Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Registration woes

I collected my absolutely wonderful P-car at the end of Nov after Euro Delivery, and still no flipping registration- and the temp reg has expired.

I learned there was a problem in the beginning of Feb, when I was told by the DMV I couldn't collect my personalized plates because of Customs paperwork and a fee not being paid by the dealer - not too big of a deal at the time I thought because they botched the plates anyway and I thought the registration issue was an easy fix. I really thought it was another DMV cock-up.

That same day, I asked the dealer about this and they told me it had already been resolved and it was a mere misunderstanding with the DMV. He seemed very happy with himself.

After not receiving my registration in several more weeks, I was assured by my dealer I would soon receive my registration - no problem. Then a few days ago, I received a "2nd notice" from the DMV, stating they couldn't process my application without the previously requested paperwork and fee .

Now the sales manager seems put off that I've requested they take care of this once and for all. He said they would try to resolve it by next week ( lousy attitude) . It's all I could do not to give him a piece of my mind. I'm really trying hard to give them another chance to make it right.

I was told by the DMV that this is usually handled by the dealer, but if I wanted to resolve this myself I would need the purchase order,etc. and to contact Customs. Well of course, the Customs service line is down and my dealer at this point seems not too anxious to assist me. The DMV said they would send me a temp reg extension valid thru the end of April- hopefully I'll receive it this week or next.

Anyone with suggestions, comments, similar experiences?

TIA!

Re: Registration woes

Sorry to hear about that, Richard - sounds like the typical bueraucratic mess to me
    Why did you need a temp reg in the first place Maybe I'm thinking too naive, but once the car hit US soil and has been cleared by the customs service it should be possible to get a regular reg right from the beginning

You should have kept the German plates

I hope your baby can return into it's natural habitat very soon

Thanks a lot, P-J!

Yeah, not sure why it wasn't done in the beginning- I'll ask... It's difficult to get a straight answer. I sent an e-mail to Porsche NA, hopefully they can help sort this out, as the dealer seems clueless and apathetic.

I've kept the front German plate on.

You are dealing with a collection of people who don't care that you are put out and they actually have to do some work to fix it with no reward to them. You should stay on them everyday, i would go in person to the dealership.

My local dealership handled all of this for me when I received the car back after my Euro delivery. I had a bit of a snafu awaiting a correction to a personalized plate. All in all, California is very slow to get that done,--getting a personalized plate in. I received my car on 7 September from Germany and didn't wind up with plates on the car until around February 1. Per my calendar, you're right on schedule!

dan

racerx,

I believe the e-mail to Porsche got them going. I called the DMV this morning and they told me the dealership had just called, and are working on it. The Customs line is still down. This afternoon, I got a call from my dealer and he assured me things are being resolved and mentioned talking to the person from Porsche I had e-mailed this morning. I'm going to be relentless until this is finally resolved.

Dan,

If you don't mind, please post a pic of your plate . I should receive mine by the end of next month. I hope this registration issue is resolved by then and they are done correctly this time ( just needed to correct the spacing).

P-J,

The dealer said he wasn't aware of a problem until January, and then they were supposedly mis-informed by the DMV.

I got my regular plate in one week from the DMV. You screwed up their system, first Euro delivery and then a personalized plate and you want it when?

The dealer I used in KY messed up my reg too . They were suppose to register it on my behalf in KY where I have a residence. Well, they swore they had done Euro delivery before, yeah right! They were charging me sales tax on the Refundable VAT of 10k! When I told them I would register it out West they held a portion of my VAT refund hostage for 3 plus months/no interest till I proved to them that I registered it! Even when I registered it, they said not good enough they wanted more paperwork.... ...that is when I lost it

It was one of many errors on their part over our 9 month relationshit

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    I got my regular plate in one week from the DMV. You screwed up their system, first Euro delivery and then a personalized plate and you want it when?

I wouldn't doubt it! Good thing my patience has somewhat improved with age.

Yeah, tkids, I remember the problems you had... I wonder how common this is with Euro delivery?

My insurance co still insists on calling my car a grey market vehicle.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    racerx,

I believe the e-mail to Porsche got them going. I called the DMV this morning and they told me the dealership had just called, and are working on it. The Customs line is still down. This afternoon, I got a call from my dealer and he assured me things are being resolved and mentioned talking to the person from Porsche I had e-mailed this morning. I'm going to be relentless until this is finally resolved.

Dan,

If you don't mind, please post a pic of your plate . I should receive mine by the end of next month. I hope this registration issue is resolved by then and they are done correctly this time ( just needed to correct the spacing).

P-J,

The dealer said he wasn't aware of a problem until January, and then they were supposedly mis-informed by the DMV.

I went through the same BS with California DMV on plate spacing. It is a known problem that they often use half spaces artitrarily instead of as you have ordered it online. Because of my complaints, they agreed to waive any change fee. (No kidding,--they BETTER!)

Here's the plate once corrected (front):

...and compared to their first attempt (rear, with 1/2 spaces placed wherever they chose):

Dan, forgive me for changing the subject but how did you mount your front license plate? And what's that blue label on the right behind your front plate?

Quote:
    Dan L said:

I went through the same BS with California DMV on plate spacing. It is a known problem that they often use half spaces artitrarily instead of as you have ordered it online. Because of my complaints, they agreed to waive any change fee. (No kidding,--they BETTER!)

Here's the plate once corrected (front):

Dan,

So it's your fault they used full spaces on mine!!! Very nice, perfect for your "baby"- I like the whale tail.

Mine should've been/ will be: S(1/2 space)911(1/2 space)7. The 911 should've been centered. S= Stuttgart: the "baby" and my birthplace; 911, obvious and 7= 2007 model, my favorite number, Lucky number 7... I wanted something simple and clean like my German plate. And "etmydst" was already taken.

atomic80: I mounted the front plate with several SS bolts through the top of the inner filler panel (where the center cooler often goes--for the X51 and Tip cars). That way you don't have to drill hole in any painted surfaces!

The blue label to the right of the plate is for my govt sticker (not mounted yet in that shot).

Good luck with the plate. You got to keep those guys busy at Alcatraz, or wherever they make them these days!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM