Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2017 V12 Vantage S test,150mph on a lake and a Geman gets tasered

WTF! Now US and Canadian drivers are incompetent?

I have driven in Europe more times than I can remember. The impression I had is European drivers overestimated their driving skills causing them to be aggressive and taking many more risks regardless of speed. They were all RC's (Christian).smiley

Sorry Christian, I couldn't resist.cool

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Whoopsy, another thing I noticed; when I just had my driver's license, I couldn't drive at all. Partly because I needed to learn to drive a car naturally (muscle memory) for a while, but also because I couldn't judge traffic in advance.

After some years, I developed some insight in how people behave on the road; I can often tell whether a car in front of me is going to change lanes or not, etc. That is something you don't learn by driving on the track, so I would encourage him as well to spend many hours driving around... it helps.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

My son did the Mercedes driving school last year. When he went to get his "N" driving status, the driving tester noted that he was very good and asked if he had taken a driving school. Many or most people in Canada are taught by their parents, so I highly recommend it.

nberry:

WTF! Now US and Canadian drivers are incompetent?

I have driven in Europe more times than I can remember. The impression I had is European drivers overestimated their driving skills causing them to be aggressive and taking many more risks regardless of speed. They were all RC's (Christian).smiley

Sorry Christian, I couldn't resist.cool

I am much more scared driving during Miami rush hour (I-95) than driving over 300 kph on the German Autobahn. Seriously. That left...right...left...right driving, sometimes at way too high (and illegal) speeds of many drivers is very exhausting because you need to pay attention all the time what is going on in the back, on the left, on the right and so on.

Not sure if you ever drove in Germany (Europe is not Germany, some regions are even more bonkers regarding driving than Miami and other regions in the US Smiley) but even people in their 70s and 80s are driving a "comfortable" 160-180 kph on the Autobahn (100 mph) and our Autobahns are often pretty curvy and do not go straight for 40 miles or so. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

AJ:

My son did the Mercedes driving school last year. When he went to get his "N" driving status, the driving tester noted that he was very good and asked if he had taken a driving school. Many or most people in Canada are taught by their parents, so I highly recommend it.

Smiley Special driving schools can be a lot of fun. I even got my wife and one of her friends to join me once, we had a very attractive female instructor (and "unfortunately"...for my wife...we bonded a lot during that day and she (wife) didn't like it but it was on a professional level, especially since I had a 997 Turbo at that time and this car was barely two weeks or so on the market and that instructor was clearly very impressed with it).

The training was nice, not for racers, just safety, especially on wet pavement. I had some drifting fun until the instructor actually told me that this is not the purpose of the training and I should stick to slower speeds and keeping the car stable. Smiley Smiley My wife enjoyed the training but she was a little bit p.ss.d that her friend was doing "better" than her. 

Definitely a good day for beginners and even those who think they can handle wet roads pretty well. Some of these people had some (ugly) surprises but luckily, there was a lot of space, so no harm was done. Smiley Can't wait to do that with my kids. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

The drivers in Europe use turn signals. Some americans don't even think they are required ALL THE TIME. Case closed. 

Leawood911:

The drivers in Europe use turn signals. Some americans don't even think they are required ALL THE TIME. Case closed. 

They should use turn signals. Smiley I'm afraid reality looks grim. In Germany, they usually use their turn signals in the city or on country roads but on the Autobahn? Seldom. I don't have a clue why they forget using their turn signals on the Autobahn but I'd say that 50% of the drivers don't use them. Pretty weird.

--

RC:
    Leawood911:

They should use turn signals. Smiley I'm afraid reality looks grim. In Germany, they usually use their turn signals in the city or on country roads but on the Autobahn? Seldom. I don't have a clue why they forget using their turn signals on the Autobahn but I'd say that 50% of the drivers don't use them. Pretty weird.

--

I think it must the 100th post I read about turn signals on rennteam. Smiley

Most of the time I use my turn signals but sometimes I don't for a simple reason: it would be of no use what so ever. In most EU, it's forbidden to stay on the left lane or even on the middle lane. As you have to use the right lane, most drivers (except the usual idiots) expect you to move back on the right or middle lane once you have overtaken them. And when traffic is light, there are simply no reason at all to overtake a car and then pull back just in front of it. If you keep your distance, there are just no need for turn signals.

Of course, I'm not implying here that turn signals are useless but in some cases ... 

amazon:

Most of the time I use my turn signals but sometimes I don't for a simple reason: it would be of no use what so ever. In most EU, it's forbidden to stay on the left lane or even on the middle lane. As you have to use the right lane, most drivers (except the usual idiots) expect you to move back on the right or middle lane once you have overtaken them. And when traffic is light, there are simply no reason at all to overtake a car and then pull back just in front of it. If you keep your distance, there are just no need for turn signals.

Of course, I'm not implying here that turn signals are useless but in some cases ... 

Oh boy...I think we just started another 100 posts Smiley

amazon:
    RC:
    Leawood911:

--

OK, I'm not so sure I understand what you mean.

For me, a turning signal indicates a change of lane and needs to be used always. I understand if people use the turn signal for overtaking only but don't use it anymore when they finished the overtaking. I can see the point not using the turning signal, even if it wouldn't be correctly (according to most traffic laws I know).

In Germany, I drive let's say 200 kph on the left lane and suddenly, that slower (130-140 kph) car from the right lane moves onto my lane without using the turn signal. Huge issue! Now imagine I drive at 240 kph and that driver on the right lane does 120 kph only.

I actually think people have issues multitasking in high(er) speed environments. This would explain why they use the turn signal in cities and on country roads but not on the Autobahn.

Again: I do not complain about people overtaking others (using the turn signal) and then falling back to the same lane without using the turning signal. No problem with me, even if this could be a problem for those idiots who suddenly appear on the right lane, despite the fact that overtaking on the right is prohibited over here (Germany), at least not at speeds that fast.

I complain about those idiots who move onto my lane without using the turning signal while I approach them, especially at a higher speed. As a personal rule, I do not overtake other cars at speeds over 200 kph if there are more than one car(s) on the right lane. Just too risky. Did some driving yesterday with a friend in his Porsche and he overtook maybe a dozen(!) cars/vans driving on the right lane at a speed of (wild guess) 120 or 130 kph. His (friend in Porsche) speed was  "over 300" (I asked) when he did that, I slowed down to around 180 kph because I got very uncomfortable in this situation and this was exactly the speed I had the feeling/experience I could "react". Maybe even 180 kph was too fast in that situation.

To each his own I guess but using the turning signal when you overtake someone is not only a courtesy to the drivers approaching but also a very important safety action.

Sometimes, when I am in the US, some drivers seem to think they are playing a Playstation game while driving, moving throughout six or eight lanes (left, right, left, right...) as they please and not using the turning signal once. I am not surprised that they have many many more accidents on US highways than on German Autobahns.

--

RC:
    amazon:
    RC:
    Leawood911:

--

OK, I'm not so sure I understand what you mean.

For me, a turning signal indicates a change of lane and needs to be used always. I understand if people use the turn signal for overtaking only but don't use it anymore when they finished the overtaking. I can see the point not using the turning signal, even if it wouldn't be correctly (according to most traffic laws I know).

In Germany, I drive let's say 200 kph on the left lane and suddenly, that slower (130-140 kph) car from the right lane moves onto my lane without using the turn signal. Huge issue! Now imagine I drive at 240 kph and that driver on the right lane does 120 kph only.

I actually think people have issues multitasking in high(er) speed environments. This would explain why they use the turn signal in cities and on country roads but not on the Autobahn.

Again: I do not complain about people overtaking others (using the turn signal) and then falling back to the same lane without using the turning signal. No problem with me, even if this could be a problem for those idiots who suddenly appear on the right lane, despite the fact that overtaking on the right is prohibited over here (Germany), at least not at speeds that fast.

I complain about those idiots who move onto my lane without using the turning signal while I approach them, especially at a higher speed. As a personal rule, I do not overtake other cars at speeds over 200 kph if there are more than one car(s) on the right lane. Just too risky. Did some driving yesterday with a friend in his Porsche and he overtook maybe a dozen(!) cars/vans driving on the right lane at a speed of (wild guess) 120 or 130 kph. His (friend in Porsche) speed was  "over 300" (I asked) when he did that, I slowed down to around 180 kph because I got very uncomfortable in this situation and this was exactly the speed I had the feeling/experience I could "react". Maybe even 180 kph was too fast in that situation.

To each his own I guess but using the turning signal when you overtake someone is not only a courtesy to the drivers approaching but also a very important safety action.

Sometimes, when I am in the US, some drivers seem to think they are playing a Playstation game while driving, moving throughout six or eight lanes (left, right, left, right...) as they please and not using the turning signal once. I am not surprised that they have many many more accidents on US highways than on German Autobahns.

--

I share your opinion at 100%  Smiley

I was just saying that in some circumstances, you are not going to cause harm to anyone if you don't signal each time you are changing lanes. Most of the time, you will create a risk for others and yourself if you don't signal. The examples you just gave are obvious for the reasons you just gave. But you don't become a bad a driver or a risk just because, from time to time, in very specific situations, you don't signal a change of lane or even a change of direction. Thus IMHO the debate that's been going on for ages on this topic is just a non sense.

Anyway, as Integra just said, I might just have open the pandora box again and I apologize already for it.

Let's get back to the main topic Smiley 

Really cool spec Mike S, congrats!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

RC; a few ideas for your son's car.

When I had passed my driving test, my dad got me a second hand Sirocco GT (1.6 carburetor engine). It was slow as heck, but it looked the business and let me learn a few low speed mistakes before going onto RWD cars.

So thinking along the same lines... Fun, cool and something to learn about car control in...

2nd hand Peugeot 107 Rally or something like that. FWD, light, not too powerful. Good to learn basic car control. Downsides? Finding one. Crash safety.

New / used Toyota GT86. RWD, light, not too powerful. Looks cool. Fun to drive. Downsides? Can't think of any. Just does he like the shape and all? Maybe cost. It is one hell of a nice car to give a youngster... depends how much you want to treat him without spoiling him. Crash safety better than older alternatives.

Thanks for compliment and noticing the details Adam Smiley

I think the leather is called Aurora Blue.

Thanks Whoopsy & Porker! I need to try take some pictures this weekend. I don't think I have more than 4-5 on my entire phone Smiley

Mike S:

Thanks Whoopsy & Porker! I need to try take some pictures this weekend. I don't think I have more than 4-5 on my entire phone Smiley

There are at least 4 of us here who have the British version of the 911R Smiley

Actually a even better car than the 911R, a V12 NA engine with a DOGLEG manual! 

Did Aston numbered the UK cars on the sill like they did on the US and Canada cars?

--

Whoopsy:
    Mike S:

Did Aston numbered the UK cars on the sill like they did on the US and Canada cars?

The more the merrier! Smiley

On paper it certainly is! Massive engine in a small body, crazy oddball gearbox for modern times. Great recipe Smiley I love the R, but the quirkiness of the V12S V definitely lures me to drive it more.

Sadly not. What were the numbers for Canada? Or was the 100 I remember watching on Motortrend only applicable to US of A, or was it 100 for whole of North America?

100 for the US and 24 for Canada.

The US dogleg cars each get a 1 of 100 plaque and the Canadian cars get a 1 of 24 plaque.

--

Whoopsy:

I believe the other member here who is yet to post also has a 991R amongst his many other amazing P and non-P cars.  Sure he will be along at some point to add some thoughts...

Anyway, to answer your question about UK numbering - no the UK and ROW cars were not part of a limited numbered run, that was just for the US and Canada markets, not sure why.  Build slots in the UK were initially allocated 1 to each dealer, and then additional slots made available only once a firm order had been placed, so strictly built to order.

That said the reality was (the order book has now been closed) that the actual production capability of the factory had been largely swapped over to focus on DB11 production and as such the number of actual V12VS doglegs built has been very low indeed.  I posted suspected numbers earlier in this thread.

--

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Dogleg Manual, Kermit Green, Buckets

IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5693.JPG
    IMG_5679.JPG
    IMG_5695.JPG
    IMG_5680.JPG
    IMG_5681.JPG
    1506035186875IMG_5686.JPG
    IMG_5689.JPG
    IMG_5691.JPG

After waiting almost a month, the dogleg is finally being picked up and gone home. It was at the wrap shop getting clear bra-ed while I was in Europe. 

Man, I should have bought this car much earlier, now that I have driven it, I know what I was missing all the time. 

This car is not light, nor fast. But it is powerful enough, fast enough, agile enough. The inside is sort of dated, but the exterior is timeless. The gearbox is just such a teaser. The 1-2 shift is awkward, and the other shifts are not that precise,  but it doesn't matter, the car has it's own character, it's not part of anything anywhere. But I do wish the linkage is as good as the 911R though, the 911R is the golden standard on how a shifter should feel.

The exhaust sound, OH MY GOD! I thought Ferrari V12 was great, but the Aston is on another level, it is more muscular, and sounds more powerful. With that sound, I don't care if it is much slower than the F12, I don't care if it's slower than the 911R, driving it means nothing matters. It is the best sounding car I have ever owned. The Ferrari V12s are a close second, but no, the Aston wins hands down.

--

You're getting more flexible with age... there is red in this car.....   Enjoy - we should poll neighbors to see whether this V12 or the V10 is louder...

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

There are precedence, the Lambo actually has more red inside............

Start ups? The F12 is the loudest, the Aston is not far behind, on par with the FF, then came the Lambo, the 918 is close, if I actually start the engine. 

--

funny is that most of us by now agree that pure Speed is less and less important and how the car makes us feel is the ultimate benchmark

Amazing looking car and I'm glad you enjoy that fantastic sound. Smiley I drove the car a few years ago and loved it. Not the weight (yes, it feels heavy) but the sound. Could have driven for hours without caring about anything else than the sound. Smiley Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

After waiting almost a month, the dogleg is finally being picked up and gone home. It was at the wrap shop getting clear bra-ed while I was in Europe. 

Man, I should have bought this car much earlier, now that I have driven it, I know what I was missing all the time. 

This car is not light, nor fast. But it is powerful enough, fast enough, agile enough. The inside is sort of dated, but the exterior is timeless. The gearbox is just such a teaser. The 1-2 shift is awkward, and the other shifts are not that precise,  but it doesn't matter, the car has it's own character, it's not part of anything anywhere. But I do wish the linkage is as good as the 911R though, the 911R is the golden standard on how a shifter should feel.

The exhaust sound, OH MY GOD! I thought Ferrari V12 was great, but the Aston is on another level, it is more muscular, and sounds more powerful. With that sound, I don't care if it is much slower than the F12, I don't care if it's slower than the 911R, driving it means nothing matters. It is the best sounding car I have ever owned. The Ferrari V12s are a close second, but no, the Aston wins hands down.

Fantastic pictures and a superb spec! Smiley

For sure the car makes you feel special like few others do at the price point, that why I love mine so much.  The sounds is intoxicating as you say, and best of all it sounds like thunder from tick over all the way up to the red line, whereas so many cars these days only good on full blast.

Re the sound - have you had the secondary decat pipes fitted? AM resell the Quicksilver decat pipes which come with AM part numbers so warranty remains unaffected, but I'm not sure if they would be legal in Canada?

If you can then do it, it costs only £600 + fitting. I have them on Kermit and it takes the sound to another level again! Smiley

Even better AM now do two options, the AMR Powerkit, which boosts output to the GT12 spec of 595BHP  and comes with a full Titanium Exhaust also enhancing sound and saving 14kg of weight, or you can just buy the AMR Titanium exhaust on its own.  Both quite pricey though at circa £16k for the full powerkit and £11k for just the exhaust, hence why the decat pipes are a no-brainer really. Smiley

--

That begs for a youtube clip!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:

That begs for a youtube clip!

Smiley In Dolby Atmos or Vision sound... Smiley

--

Adam2S:
    Whoopsy:

Fantastic pictures and a superb spec! Smiley

For sure the car makes you feel special like few others do at the price point, that why I love mine so much.  The sounds is intoxicating as you say, and best of all it sounds like thunder from tick over all the way up to the red line, whereas so many cars these days only good on full blast.

Re the sound - have you had the secondary decat pipes fitted? AM resell the Quicksilver decat pipes which come with AM part numbers so warranty remains unaffected, but I'm not sure if they would be legal in Canada?

If you can then do it, it costs only £600 + fitting. I have them on Kermit and it takes the sound to another level again! Smiley

Even better AM now do two options, the AMR Powerkit, which boosts output to the GT12 spec of 595BHP  and comes with a full Titanium Exhaust also enhancing sound and saving 14kg of weight, or you can just buy the AMR Titanium exhaust on its own.  Both quite pricey though at circa £16k for the full powerkit and £11k for just the exhaust, hence why the decat pipes are a no-brainer really. Smiley

I was under the impression that the power kit is only for the automatic cars, no?

As for exhaust, Velocity AP, is located 10 mins from my track, they are the ones that supply exhausts to the Aston Martin factory race team and also other aftermarket tuning parts Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

I was under the impression that the power kit is only for the automatic cars, no?

As for exhaust, Velocity AP, is located 10 mins from my track, they are the ones that supply exhausts to the Aston Martin factory race team and also other aftermarket tuning parts Smiley

It was initially only available for the SSIII cars but is now available for dogleg manuals too.  After all the dogleg manual is basically the same gearbox under the skin.  Note SSIII is not an auto, its a semi-automated manual - similar to the BMW SMG system, and unlike PDK or DCG.

Powerpack info here http://www.astonmartin.com/en/accessories/amr/amr-performance-pack

Titanium exhaust only info here http://www.astonmartin.com/en/accessories/amr/amr-titanium-exhaust

Velocity may well give exactly the same decat pipes, but would it affect your warrenty?  In the UK the only 100% warranty free decat option is the Quicksilver one AM supply.  I know the laws are different however over the pond and I'm sure the reality is they will all sound the same as they are just straight through pipes.

Either way, I can thoroughly recommend fitting them.  They really up the ante on the sound from epic to epic+++ Smiley

Re the other requests for a video of the decat pipes - I haven't made any videos of the sound yet. The trouble is capturing a true reflection of it really sounds like with the limited simple equipment available to me such as an iphone mic etc...  There are a few on youtube but none of them sound anywhere near as good as the real thing, far too tinny and raspy and not at all like the thunder the car really produces. To make it worse AM haven't released a professional video yet either!  Perhaps googling some of the video reviews of the Vantage GT12 is the closest thing I can recommend.  Chris Harris did a good one! Smiley

--

Congrats on the delivery of your V12S DL7!!! Really like the stealth spec of your car. Looks fantastic! 

Took the Aston and drove up to Whistler. First time I get to open up the car.

It's not a super fast car, but fast enough. The clutch is surprisingly light, and the gearbox can be a bit more precise, the gates seems too tightly packed and I had to do each shift deliberately, missed 4th a couple times and went directly to 6th, same thing with 5th, went 6th to 3rd by mistake also. But overall the dogleg is fine, as the flipped pattern doesn't affect me, I don't mind the even gears are on top and odds gears are at the bottom. 

This V12 is a completely different beast than my Ferrari V12s. Sounded totally different and reacts differently too.

The Ferrari begs to be revved mercilessly, it is happiest at the top of the rev range. Nothing matches the fantastic wail from the V12 at the top of the rev band.

The Aston is more calm, it's like a British gentleman in a suit, who is never hurried and who never runs and will at most walk briskly. It doesn't mind staying down low in the rev band, in fact, the glorious exhaust sounds the best down low, when the throaty sound is loudest. 

1st gear is surprisingly long, quite useful for city traffic actually, no need to do a 1-2 shift in city driving like I do in the 911R. And talking about the R, I so wish that shifter is in the Aston, that would be a dream to use on the Aston dogleg. About my only knock on it right now.

Actually I lied, second knock would be the wonky infotainment system, it doesn't want to stay on, after 20-30mins it keep resetting itself and keep opening and closing the screen, sort of annoying but it's a British car, I never expect those to be perfect.

I only wish I had bought this thing sooner, it's very enjoyable to drive! Just like my other 2 manuals.

By coincidence, all 3 of my manual cars are together for the first time.

IMG_5713.jpg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM