Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Raikkonen on pole

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Looks like we all agree then. Hamilton will cause Alonso some big problems this year, but ultimately Alonso will still come out ahead this year. You would hope so given he is a double world champ vs a debutant.

Unless something happens to Hamilton, I think he will beat Alonso by a mile.
    First race in F1, new car, new track - and he ends up third.
    That's raw talent + skill + experience if u ask me.
    Plus he seems to have the balls that Gayonso lacks.
    But as we all know: It's F1: Anything can happen.

For you F1 boffins out there - has any debutant in F1 ever led in any part of a race before?

Don't know about that but he is the first F1 debuntant to make podium in his first race since Villeneuve made 2nd place in 1996. Lets hope that is all Hamilton will have in comon with Villenueve

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    A complete walkthrough for Ferrari as expected. Kimi didn't even have to push the pace, he was in complete control, so much so that he almost ran wide on turn 3 from lack of concentration of just coasting the car to the finish line during all the race

I'm happy for Kimi, he finally got a streak of great luck because his direct rival Massa had the same car but had to change two gearboxes and a engine and having to start from last with a horrible one-pitstop strategy. And his second closest rival Alonso was held back in third place the whole race so was no threat at all.

Hamilton did a great job, specially the fact that he didn't make any mistakes and was cool at the wheel inspite of all the pressure being a rookie. That shows potential.

Unfortunatley we did not get to see what Alonso could have done since he was held up by Hamilton for 3/4 of the race In a track such as Albert Park Alonso and with his own teammate in front he was left to keep a 1.5-2second gap with Hamilton so as to have clean air and conserve the car but he would never be allowed by team director to fight to overpass, and was not wise for him either, too dangerous for the championship also.

Only when Hamilton was out of the way and no traffic in front in the 2nd pit stop he was able to do his pace and droppred his race laptimes overtaking Hamilton on the pit stop, and after that Hamiltom was left behind by Alonso lap after lap, opening a dozen second gap by the end of the race.

Nevertheless Alonso was no threat to Kimi today even if Hamilton wouldn't had been slowing him. The result would have been the same. Kimi's fastest lap was a full second faster than the seconds fastest lap time, which was Alonso's. That is ridiculous in F1. A pity Massa didn't get a chance to show his race pace, otherwise it would have been a 1-2 Ferrari today IMO.

Interestingly McLaren leads the constructor's championship.

A huge pitty Kubica broke down, he is my favorite underdog and will give many surprises along the season

Carlos, IMO Hamilton showed more than just potential. He got third place. And as far as I remember, that is a bigger feat than both Kimi and Alonso have ever made.
    Hamilton also showed that he is an absolute gentleman and a seasoned professional during the press conference. He was also the only one out of the three who thanked his team and the guys back on the factory.
    Formula 1 got a new star Sunday afternoon. He may be the Tiger Woods of F1. And I hope he beats both Alonso and Kimi.

Kimi almost beat his own record of being Mr. No Personality.
    He didnt thank the team, from what I could see he didnt share the victory with them (like Schumacher used to) and his lack of emotion and enthusiasm is turning into a joke.
    I think he is harvesting the fruits that Schumacher planted in the team - he needs to realize that Ferrari thrives on being a TEAM, not just a bunch of mechanics carrying their lone star to victory.
    Having said that, he did a great job - even with no radio contact with the team - and tho it's much, much too soon to say it looks like we will have three competitive teams battling it out this season

About "Unfortunatley we did not get to see what Alonso could have done since he was held up by Hamilton for 3/4 of the race".
    I think you may be a bit colored by patriotism here.
    Hamilton beat Alonso in the start and he actually opened the gap to Alonso.
    When youre not fast enough, you have to stay behind other drivers.
    It's pretty much the deal that every car in the field gets. If you get behind other cars, you have to overtake them - and thats not easy.
    Massa was held up by the Hondas for around 8 laps.

I think Alonso should be worried about Hamilton.
    Alonso may be first driver, but not for long if Hamilton keeps this up.
    This is Alonso's 5th season in F1 - and Hamilton's first. You do the math.

Fortunately for Alonso, for some strange reason Hamilton managed to lose around 4-5 seconds in one lap. Perhaps his 2nd pitstop was slower or he got held up in traffic, or Alonso gained 2 secs per lap - or team orders? You guys got an explanation? It seemed very strange to me.

Like Ziggy said:
    "I think the gap between the 2 Mclaren pilots increase after their last pitstops because L.Hamilton wanted to spare his material (the next race in Malaysia is a very tough one), realising he has no change to overtake Alonso, furthermore the team probably ordered them to freeze the position.

Besides, if Alonso was really faster than Hamilton, wouldn't he have taken the chance to pass him during the first pitstops ? "

Anyway. Alonso was lucky that Heidfeld had problems.
    He did a very good job for his first McL race, and should be thankful to get 2nd and not 4th.

Im amazed to see that McLaren finally managed to get two cars home. perhaps the new rule of 19.000 rpm limitation has made it easier for Mercedes to produce a durable engine?

Dr. Phil,

I think it is the 6th season of F. Alonso :
    debuts in 2001 with Minardi
    2002 : test driver for Renault
    2003 : second complete season, first pole position (Sepang), first victory (Hungaoring)
    Then 2004 : R24 difficult to handle, season totally dominated by Ferrari.
    2005 : first title
    2006 : second title
    2007 : to be continued

Actually, Kimi thanked his team during the press conference, he said that everyone at Ferrari has been doing his best to make its life easier since his arrival.
    At least it is what I understood from the German traduction (RTL).

Kimi and Alonso seem like such old news now. They both need personality injections and are boring as dust. Champions of snooze they are. I almost wanted to see Schumi appear and throw eggs at them when they were on the podium.

Hamilton would have won if he had been driving Kimi's Ferrari. He clearly brings something new to the game, exhibition, race, sport or what ever you want to call it.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Ziggy said:I think the gap between the 2 Mclaren pilots increase after their last pitstops because L.Hamilton wanted to spare his material (the next race in Malaysia is a very tough one), realising he has no change to overtake Alonso, furthermore the team probably ordered them to freeze the position.

That is very true, Hamilton after being passed by Alonso did not try to push to overtake because he had the same problem Alonso had, neither was allowed to overtake each other during the race, and would of been to risky, and now McLaren is leader of the constructors title this way. Remember Senna and Prost when both in McLaren at the same time?, they took each other out of a race because of that, but that was a team match that sent of sparks

In Alrbert Park overtaking needs risky maneuvers and forcing the mechanics unless you have significantly superior car which was not the case, so Hamilton had to conserve the engine, but so did Alonso, there was no way Alonso could catch Kimi.

The 2 second gap between Alonso and Hamilton was maintained by Alonso on purpose, its the distance that allows the car to breathe fresh air and also not loose aerodinamic support form the tubulance of the car in front. De La Rosa, teammate of Alonso and Hamiliton already predicted that at the first laps, he was not going to attemp to pass nor allowed, and would maintain a 2 sec gap and try on the pit stops only. Every time the 1.5-2 sec gap grew due to traffic or other, Alonos would pull it back in with ease and maintain it at 2 sec+/- lap after lap.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:Besides, if Alonso was really faster than Hamilton, wouldn't he have taken the chance to pass him during the first pitstops ?

In the first pit stop Alosno had not enough time and was the one who came in first so that would not work out, but on the first stop Alonso seeing the situation and that he could follow Hamilton with ease, he made a larger fuel load on the first stop so as to come in later than him on the second stop and then try and attack. Hamilton did came in earlier on the second stop and Alonso had clear road an couple of laps in which with race pace suddently shot taking several tenths at every sector, one by one. As soon as Hamilton went into boxes, Alonso flue and made much quicker laps. Hamilton made a longer stop but nevertheless Alonso had scrapped the time needed to come out in front after his stop and Hamilton was not able to match mAlonso's lap times and neutralise him when Alonso was in the pits. As a matter of fact, the third set of tires were the softer compound tires and the first lap of those tires are the best of all the sets (after the second they start to degrade) and still Hamilton when he came out he did not match Alonso's rythim before coming in.

Anyway, that was great teamwork from the two, they both respected each other and were cool. Hamilton's pass over Alonso at the beginning was a clean one, Alonso had to cut his path due to the BMW cutting into the apex and Hamilton had the door completely open on the outside. After that the race was pretty much decided, and was not the most exiting, Too bad the safety car didn't come out wth the accident at the ned of the race cause that would of made thisng more exiting sseing Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton bunched together in the last laps

Totally agree about the "clean air" explanation, this is why I think Kimi is the one who stressed his mechanic the less, by comparison with Massa at least, because he always had clean air (and besides he spared the car after his last pitstop).

Re. the Mclaren boys first pitstop : actually it can be the other way around, that is trying to anticipate earlier one's pitstop to perform afterwards a series of fast laps and by doing so, overtaking one's opponent while he is doing his own stop.
    But overall your logic (i.e. to delay the pitstop) makes more sense though.

Anyway, Alonso did not miss the chance to overtake Hamilton as soon as the occasion showed up, which suits to the one who is now the reference among the contenders.

I am not sure F. Alonso chose to fill his reservoir with a greater amount of fuel compared with Hamilton / his initial plans, maybe it was decided prior to the race Alonso comes first for the first stop and second for the last one, as at this stage of the season there is no number 1 and so equal treatment for the 2 pilots applies

I also think that apart from the start, the race was not especially exciting, but isn't it unfortunately the case for most of the GPs in the modern F1 era ?
    As you I " hoped " for the intervention of the pace car after the incident involving Coulthard and Wurz, after all Melbourne, as well as Monaco and Montreal, is rather pace-car friendly

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Lasse, remember last season? I'm trying to have friendly discussion, exchanging views and factoids about the races, in this case about Hamilton and Alonso's pace today (which we will never now the truth about since they are all opinions) but I'm not up for the joking and circus back and fourth since we do not connect with each other on that level to be able to do that, nor do I have the time for it. I skim past through those posts to be frank.

So lets continue like we decided last season to avoid each others posts when it comes to F1 I'll skip through yours and you skip through mine. Its no big deal, but lets admit it, you and I are like Prost and Senna, or Wayne Rainey and Kevin Schwantz

Carlos, I think we are more like Richard Simmons and Mike Tyson. So ok, I promise not to bite your ear off It's just so darn hard not to flame people who actually worship Feminando.
    (Sorry, that was humor - the forbidden language)

Seriously tho: No problem. Let's stick to neutral subjects like "How to rearrange your sock drawer", "Clay: Is it the new mud?" and "Agriculture in ancient Peru".

I have to say I was surprised by how solid Hamilton was. On the other hand I'm also surprised by the unbelievable amounts of praise he is being given. Alonso did have the faster lap times so I don't think there is any debate as to who was faster.

Kovailenin made so many mistakes after looking so solid in the preseason, I couldn't believe it. Fisichella drove very well IMHO, especially holding off Massa at the end.

I do hope there is a drastic reduction of aero in the future because there just isnt enough passing.

Quote:
    911fan said:
    I have to say I was surprised by how solid Hamilton was. On the other hand I'm also surprised by the unbelievable amounts of praise he is being given. Alonso did have the faster lap times so I don't think there is any debate as to who was faster.

Kovailenin made so many mistakes after looking so solid in the preseason, I couldn't believe it. Fisichella drove very well IMHO, especially holding off Massa at the end.

I do hope there is a drastic reduction of aero in the future because there just isnt enough passing.

Alonso got 2nd, so no debate that he...well, got ahead of Hamilton.
    Having said that, the way Alonso ended up second was in no way impressive or a display of superior skills.
    Take into consideration that Hamilton is in his FIRST F1 race in his first season - and that Alonso is the current champ with 5 seasons under his belt.
    Hamilton drove like a champ, and he will do very well.
    I think he is a bigger talent than both Kimi and Alonso.

Regarding the aero dynamics versus overtaking debate:
    IMO it IS possible to overtake. Massa proved that many times today.
    I dont think that's the issue. The problem is that most drivers and teams would rateher settle for a lower score than risk the points by overtaking.
    And that reduces F1 to a carefully planned branding strategy more than racing. You prolly wont see tete-a-tete racing much more - unless they e.g. change the scoring so there is more to fight for. More motivation to go for a 1st place that just settle for second and so forth.
    Perhaps 10 points for no 1, 6 for second, 4 for third...

There really wasn't much in it for the laptimes between Alonso and Hamilton. Fernando was faster, but I think Hamilton actually had the edge duringmost of testing.

Alonso was marginally faster, that is the fact of it, but I seriously doubt he has this reservoir of pace just waiting to be used, that some people are talking about.

As for personalities I couldn't care less about them. I'm not a fan of Alonso, but I don't care what he, Kimi, or anyone else is doing when they aren't on the track and that includes conferences, and podium standing.

If anything Kimi's position has been: I'm going to be fast on the track, and that's it, if you don't like it go screw yourself... now he's driving... and winning... for Ferrari.

Personality can have some bearing on the driver's actions on the track, but if anything Hamilton proves that isn't necessarily a certainty. He's aggressive on the track, but perfectly composed off it.

I personally think Kimi is hilarious. He just seems to tell it like it is. He admits openly that he just stopped paying attention because he didn't need to go quickly. Intentional or not, that isn't exactly great news for the opposing teams.

On a different note, I was thinking about Massa's 1 stop strategy. How many laps was his second stint? Because he had to have been on softs for a major portion of the race, and I got the impression that 15 laps was the best you were going to get out of those, and still much slower than the first 2-5 laps.

Hamilton showed great performance this weekend, I think he will soon became Alonso`s real threat.

I hope McLaren will make some improvements to be on Ferrari`s pace and I think that can happen -- Ferrari has tyre advantage, because they were already on Bridgestones previous years (McLaren had some trubles with tyres on testing) and F2007 was made by "old key members." Question is if new team members will be able to continue developing car successfully as Ferrari did before..

Quote:
    moto said:
    For you F1 boffins out there - has any debutant in F1 ever led in any part of a race before?

Yes, Villenueve led most of the race on his debut until the team told him to pull over and let his team mate Damon Hill overtake in the last few laps as his car was spraying oil and they were worried that it would cause of problem for Damon.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    Looks like we all agree then. Hamilton will cause Alonso some big problems this year, but ultimately Alonso will still come out ahead this year. You would hope so given he is a double world champ vs a debutant.

Unless something happens to Hamilton, I think he will beat Alonso by a mile.
    First race in F1, new car, new track - and he ends up third.
    That's raw talent + skill + experience if u ask me.
    Plus he seems to have the balls that Gayonso lacks.
    But as we all know: It's F1: Anything can happen.

I think that as Alonso settles into McLaren team and get used to the car, he will be quicker again. But no doubt about it, the new kid is a future champ. I watched a documentary produced by McLaren about him, and I just like how humble and appreciative he is. Does actually remind me of Tiger Wood!

Quote:
    WAY said:I watched a documentary produced by McLaren about him, and I just like how humble and appreciative he is. Does actually remind me of Tiger Wood!

I was actually more happy after the race for Hamilton's father than Hamilton himself, he look soo nervous before the race and looked so proud of his son, hovering around the McLaren's box with the camcorder recording everything, it was very tender

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778449 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442119 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262997 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261282 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85528 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5742 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880957 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816741 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM