Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Raikkonen on pole

"World championship rivals Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso will start from the front row in Sunday's Australian Grand Prix, after the Finn beat the Spaniard by a hair over four-tenths of a second. But where Alonso's McLaren partner Lewis Hamilton backed him strongly with a second-row start on his debut, Felipe Massa was only 16th after suffering gearbox problems.

In a session run under warm sun and on a bone-dry track, Raikkonen set the pace in first qualifying, was content to let Alonso do so in the second, and then banged in the 1m 26.072s lap that secured him the pole in the third and final runs. He thus became the first debutant Ferrari driver to take pole position since Juan Manuel Fangio back in 1956.

"Today we spent time getting a good set-up on car," Raikkonen said. "For one lap it was still not ideal, not for me at least, but the main thing is it was quick enough. We have a good race package, so I am more confident for the race than for qualifying. This can be quite a funny race, but we'll do our best and hope to win."

Having been obliged to play second fiddle most of the weekend to Hamilton, Alonso pulled up in the final session with a lap of 1m 26.493s to depose the impressive young Briton, who also found himself pushed down a place by speedy Nick Heidfeld in the BMW Sauber. Hamilton lapped in 1m 26.755s, completing another session devoid of mistakes, but dropped to fourth when the German took his F1.07 round in 1m 26.556s right at the end.

Alonso said he was still building his confidence in the car, and added: "I think at end we are there and to start where we are is fantastic news for the team. They have made a huge step forward since last year and we need say thanks to team. I really hope it will be a close race tomorrow, and it can be very interesting; we have been very competitive all weekend."

Robert Kubica's chances of improving on 1m 27.347s in the BMW Sauber were stymied by a mistake on his final run, leaving him fifth ahead of Giancarlo Fisichella, who did no better than 1m 27.634s for the hitherto dominant Renault.

Mark Webber boosted the crowd (and himself) with seventh-fastest time in his Red Bull, after a lap in 1m 27.934s, then, against expectations, came the Toyotas of Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher on 1m 28.404s and 1m 28.692s respectively. Both of them had initial dramas: Trulli inadvertently dragged a jack all down the pit lane and then on to the track when he first went out; Schumacher had a tyre problem and had to creep back to the pits before getting going again.

While they celebrated getting into the top ten, Takuma Sato was cock-a-hoop down at Super Aguri. A year ago the team had to borrow a show car from a local mall to make the race; 12 months on they made the top five rows on merit after a great performance yielded a best lap of 1m 28.871s. If there was anything bittersweet about the success, it was that Super Aguri team mate Anthony Davidson just failed to get through to the third session, but he will line up as second-fastest Briton in 11th place with a lap of 1m 26.909s. Nico Rosberg will be alongside him in the Williams with 1m 26.914s, followed by debutant Heikki Kovalainen in the second Renault on 1m 26.964s. He shares row seven with a very despondent Jenson Button, who did all he could to squeeze a disappointing 1m 27.264s out of his Honda.

Alex Wurz lapped his Williams in 1m 27.393s for 15th, while poor Felipe Massa had a gearbox problem in the second session and will start 16th for Ferrari with no recorded lap time.

The first session weeded out the second Red Bull, both Toro Rossos, both Spykers and Rubens Barrichello's Honda. The Brazilian lapped in 1m 27.679s which left him 17th ahead of an on-form Scott Speed (1m 27.305s), David Coulthard (1m 27.579s), a troubled Tonio Liuzzi (1m 29.267s, before a defective refuelling rig prevented him getting enough juice for his second run), debutant Adrian Sutil (1m 29.339s) and Christijan Albers (1m 31.932s).

Thus the grid is set for the opening race of 2007, and a terrific battle is in prospect. If anything happens to Raikkonen or Alonso, could Hamilton become the first man since Giancarlo Baghetti back in 1961 to win on his debut?"

Re: Raikkoneni on pole

Just saw the qualifications this morning.

It looks like it will be interesting!
    The best pilots are in front, the newcomers in the starting blocks, ready the get the ' older' ones. I hope we have a great race tomorrow

Go Kimi Go!!!

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Go Kimi Go!!!

Yes i'm happy for Kimi but not for Massa

Watch out for Massa. He will now be fueled to the brim and should be interesting to see if he can slice through the pack the way real champs have done time and time again.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Watch out for Massa. He will now be fueled to the brim and should be interesting to see if he can slice through the pack the way real champs have done time and time again.

that would be very interesting!

I think it's an impressive start for both Kimi, Homonando and a bunch of others. New teams and new cars - and they still shine. Amazing.
    Cant wait to see the race!!!

Hamilton is impressively fast for a rookie. He actually is that talented, its not a fluke.

Kimi is way overdue to actually win a race. If he doesnt start winning this year I will have to declare him the Jenson Button of Finland.

So congrats to Kimi for getting the pole, now lets see how many laps he can avoid the shaft!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    I think it's an impressive start for both Kimi, Homonando and a bunch of others. New teams and new cars - and they still shine. Amazing.

I think Alonso is lucky he didn't get POLE position, otherwise who knows what you would've come up with .

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Hamilton is impressively fast for a rookie. He actually is that talented, its not a fluke.

Kimi is way overdue to actually win a race. If he doesnt start winning this year I will have to declare him the Jenson Button of Finland.

So congrats to Kimi for getting the pole, now lets see how many laps he can avoid the shaft!

Yeah, there's some kinda curse on Kimi.
    Or perhaps he is simply too hard on the material.
    Hard to tell.
    If his Ferrari starts breaking down this season, I'm convinced that he wears the cars down.
    If he starts winning, it would confirm that he is as fast as I believe he is.

I'm honestly impressed with both Alonso and Hamilton.
    I know that McLaren has previously built the fastest cars in F1, but fast or not, it must be quite difficult for a rookie and a teamswitcher to deliver results that fast.
    But maybe McLaren has the edge regarding speed this season.
    Let's see if they can also produce cars that actually last a whole race.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

I think Alonso is lucky he didn't get POLE position, otherwise who knows what you would've come up with .

Well, we all know that Feminando Gayonso loves the pole position.
    I'm sure he'll get the pole a lot this season. Being the fastest in qualification - that's a different story

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

I'm sure he'll get the pole a lot this season. Being the fastest in qualification - that's a different story

LOL

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

I knew you had it in you .

McLaren did something interesting for a rookie driver. They had Hamilton rack up 8400kms of lap time in their F1 car before the season started. He might be a phenom and Alonso's biggest competitor this year.

Re: Raikkonen on pole

FERRARI

Kimi n*1

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Kimi n*1

as expected

I really wonder how Hamilton is going to evolve...let's hope we don't have another Montoya again...he was a huge dissapointment for the sport...

A complete walkthrough for Ferrari as expected. Kimi didn't even have to push the pace, he was in complete control, so much so that he almost ran wide on turn 3 from lack of concentration of just coasting the car to the finish line during all the race

I'm happy for Kimi, he finally got a streak of great luck because his direct rival Massa had the same car but had to change two gearboxes and a engine and having to start from last with a horrible one-pitstop strategy. And his second closest rival Alonso was held back in third place the whole race so was no threat at all.

Hamilton did a great job, specially the fact that he didn't make any mistakes and was cool at the wheel inspite of all the pressure being a rookie. That shows potential.

Unfortunatley we did not get to see what Alonso could have done since he was held up by Hamilton for 3/4 of the race In a track such as Albert Park Alonso and with his own teammate in front he was left to keep a 1.5-2second gap with Hamilton so as to have clean air and conserve the car but he would never be allowed by team director to fight to overpass, and was not wise for him either, too dangerous for the championship also.

Only when Hamilton was out of the way and no traffic in front in the 2nd pit stop he was able to do his pace and droppred his race laptimes overtaking Hamilton on the pit stop, and after that Hamiltom was left behind by Alonso lap after lap, opening a dozen second gap by the end of the race.

Nevertheless Alonso was no threat to Kimi today even if Hamilton wouldn't had been slowing him. The result would have been the same. Kimi's fastest lap was a full second faster than the seconds fastest lap time, which was Alonso's. That is ridiculous in F1. A pity Massa didn't get a chance to show his race pace, otherwise it would have been a 1-2 Ferrari today IMO.

Interestingly McLaren leads the constructor's championship.

A huge pitty Kubica broke down, he is my favorite underdog and will give many surprises along the season

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    A complete walkthrough for Ferrari as expected. Kimi didn't even have to push the pace, he was in complete control, so much so that he almost ran wide on turn 3 from lack of concentration of just coasting the car to the finish line during all the race

I'm happy for Kimi, he finally got a streak of great luck because his direct rival Massa had the same car but had to change two gearboxes and a engine and having to start from last with a horrible one-pitstop strategy. And his second closest rival Alonso was held back in third place the whole race so was no threat at all.

Hamilton did a great job, specially the fact that he didn't make any mistakes and was cool at the wheel inspite of all the pressure being a rookie. That shows potential.

Unfortunatley we did not get to see what Alonso could have done since he was held up by Hamilton for 3/4 of the race In a track such as Albert Park Alonso and with his own teammate in front he was left to keep a 1.5-2second gap with Hamilton so as to have clean air and conserve the car but he would never be allowed by team director to fight to overpass, and was not wise for him either, too dangerous for the championship also.

Only when Hamilton was out of the way and no traffic in front in the 2nd pit stop he was able to do his pace and droppred his race laptimes overtaking Hamilton on the pit stop, and after that Hamiltom was left behind by Alonso lap after lap, opening a dozen second gap by the end of the race.

Nevertheless Alonso was no threat to Kimi today even if Hamilton wouldn't had been slowing him. The result would have been the same. Kimi's fastest lap was a full second faster than the seconds fastest lap time, which was Alonso's. That is ridiculous in F1. A pity Massa didn't get a chance to show his race pace, otherwise it would have been a 1-2 Ferrari today IMO.

A huge pitty Kubica broke down, he is my favorite underdog and will give many surprises along the season

Carlos,

I agree with you the gap between Ferrari and the others, Mclaren included, is huge.
    They were expected to have the lead, but not by such a wide margin.

However, I am not sure L. Hamilton held back F. Alonso during the race, to me their pace was similar, as shown by their fastest laps (if I remember correctly, the difference between their respective qualification laps is also similar) :

1. Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari - 1'25.235 - Lap 41
    2. Fernando Alonso - McLaren Mercedes - 1'26.314 - Lap 20
    3. Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1'26.351 - Lap 20

I think the gap between the 2 Mclaren pilots increase after their last pitstops because L.Hamilton wanted to spare his material (the next race in Malaysia is a very tough one), realising he has no change to overtake Alonso, furthermore the team probably ordered them to freeze the position.

Besides, if Alonso was really faster than Hamilton, wouldn't he have taken the chance to pass him during the first pitstops ?

I also would not say that Hamilton kept Alonso back.
    He was faster in some parts of the track, Alonso faster in others, but altogether they where more or less going at the same pace.
    I agree that once Alonso was in front, he just made sure to secure a nice 3 rd place.
    This season could be interesting.
    I am very happy for Kimi. He deserves it!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Carlos, IMO Hamilton showed more than just potential. He got third place. And as far as I remember, that is a bigger feat than both Kimi and Alonso have ever made.
    Hamilton also showed that he is an absolute gentleman and a seasoned professional during the press conference. He was also the only one out of the three who thanked his team and the guys back on the factory.
    Formula 1 got a new star Sunday afternoon. He may be the Tiger Woods of F1. And I hope he beats both Alonso and Kimi.

Kimi almost beat his own record of being Mr. No Personality.
    He didnt thank the team, from what I could see he didnt share the victory with them (like Schumacher used to) and his lack of emotion and enthusiasm is turning into a joke.
    I think he is harvesting the fruits that Schumacher planted in the team - he needs to realize that Ferrari thrives on being a TEAM, not just a bunch of mechanics carrying their lone star to victory.
    Having said that, he did a great job - even with no radio contact with the team - and tho it's much, much too soon to say it looks like we will have three competitive teams battling it out this season

About "Unfortunatley we did not get to see what Alonso could have done since he was held up by Hamilton for 3/4 of the race".
    I think you may be a bit colored by patriotism here.
    Hamilton beat Alonso in the start and he actually opened the gap to Alonso.
    When youre not fast enough, you have to stay behind other drivers.
    It's pretty much the deal that every car in the field gets. If you get behind other cars, you have to overtake them - and thats not easy.
    Massa was held up by the Hondas for around 8 laps.

I think Alonso should be worried about Hamilton.
    Alonso may be first driver, but not for long if Hamilton keeps this up.
    This is Alonso's 5th season in F1 - and Hamilton's first. You do the math.

Fortunately for Alonso, for some strange reason Hamilton managed to lose around 4-5 seconds in one lap. Perhaps his 2nd pitstop was slower or he got held up in traffic, or Alonso gained 2 secs per lap - or team orders? You guys got an explanation? It seemed very strange to me.

Like Ziggy said:
    "I think the gap between the 2 Mclaren pilots increase after their last pitstops because L.Hamilton wanted to spare his material (the next race in Malaysia is a very tough one), realising he has no change to overtake Alonso, furthermore the team probably ordered them to freeze the position.

Besides, if Alonso was really faster than Hamilton, wouldn't he have taken the chance to pass him during the first pitstops ? "

Anyway. Alonso was lucky that Heidfeld had problems.
    He did a very good job for his first McL race, and should be thankful to get 2nd and not 4th.

Im amazed to see that McLaren finally managed to get two cars home. perhaps the new rule of 19.000 rpm limitation has made it easier for Mercedes to produce a durable engine?

Quote:
    Ziggy said:I think the gap between the 2 Mclaren pilots increase after their last pitstops because L.Hamilton wanted to spare his material (the next race in Malaysia is a very tough one), realising he has no change to overtake Alonso, furthermore the team probably ordered them to freeze the position.

That is very true, Hamilton after being passed by Alonso did not try to push to overtake because he had the same problem Alonso had, neither was allowed to overtake each other during the race, and would of been to risky, and now McLaren is leader of the constructors title this way. Remember Senna and Prost when both in McLaren at the same time?, they took each other out of a race because of that, but that was a team match that sent of sparks

In Alrbert Park overtaking needs risky maneuvers and forcing the mechanics unless you have significantly superior car which was not the case, so Hamilton had to conserve the engine, but so did Alonso, there was no way Alonso could catch Kimi.

The 2 second gap between Alonso and Hamilton was maintained by Alonso on purpose, its the distance that allows the car to breathe fresh air and also not loose aerodinamic support form the tubulance of the car in front. De La Rosa, teammate of Alonso and Hamiliton already predicted that at the first laps, he was not going to attemp to pass nor allowed, and would maintain a 2 sec gap and try on the pit stops only. Every time the 1.5-2 sec gap grew due to traffic or other, Alonos would pull it back in with ease and maintain it at 2 sec+/- lap after lap.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:Besides, if Alonso was really faster than Hamilton, wouldn't he have taken the chance to pass him during the first pitstops ?

In the first pit stop Alosno had not enough time and was the one who came in first so that would not work out, but on the first stop Alonso seeing the situation and that he could follow Hamilton with ease, he made a larger fuel load on the first stop so as to come in later than him on the second stop and then try and attack. Hamilton did came in earlier on the second stop and Alonso had clear road an couple of laps in which with race pace suddently shot taking several tenths at every sector, one by one. As soon as Hamilton went into boxes, Alonso flue and made much quicker laps. Hamilton made a longer stop but nevertheless Alonso had scrapped the time needed to come out in front after his stop and Hamilton was not able to match mAlonso's lap times and neutralise him when Alonso was in the pits. As a matter of fact, the third set of tires were the softer compound tires and the first lap of those tires are the best of all the sets (after the second they start to degrade) and still Hamilton when he came out he did not match Alonso's rythim before coming in.

Anyway, that was great teamwork from the two, they both respected each other and were cool. Hamilton's pass over Alonso at the beginning was a clean one, Alonso had to cut his path due to the BMW cutting into the apex and Hamilton had the door completely open on the outside. After that the race was pretty much decided, and was not the most exiting, Too bad the safety car didn't come out wth the accident at the ned of the race cause that would of made thisng more exiting sseing Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton bunched together in the last laps

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Not true. Alonso only ever got close to Hamilton when there was traffic. Without traffic, he was ever so slightly faster than Alonso lap after lap. The reason why he pulled away from Hamilton after the second pit stop is because Hamilton struggled from graining on a set of tyres that has not been scrubbed, hence he was forced to slow down. How do I know this? I was a guest of Vodafone McLaren team, and this came from their own team after the race. Here are some pics.

The kid in the Vodafone ad (he plays young Alonso who dares to dream)

Me talking to Alonso with some McLaren dude looking on

Alonso being interviewed for our pleasure

The passes that got me there.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Not true. Alonso only ever got close to Hamilton when there was traffic. Without traffic, he was ever so slightly faster than Alonso lap after lap.

The gap was maintained through out the race and traffic was there for both, there was no sense in lowering the gap bellow that, and when Hamilton was held up too much by traffic and Alonso got too close he would let it open back up to the 2-3 seconds to let the engine breathe, save fuel, aerodinamics, etc not because Hamilton pulled away as it would seem if we only looked at the lap times, and the gap never openend up lap after lap, like Kimi did over McLaren, or the McLaren over the BMW's.
    Only when they both needed to push because there was an overtaking chance, second pit stop, Alonso was the one who was fastest, before AND after the pit stop. Grainnig is a problem they all suffered with the soft tires, since they were to soft for this race, but that does not happen until after a couple of laps when they start to degrade and by that time Alonso was already running away with it.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    The reason why he pulled away from Hamilton after the second pit stop is because Hamilton struggled from graining on a set of tyres that has not been scrubbed, hence he was forced to slow down. How do I know this? I was a guest of Vodafone McLaren team, and this came from their own team after the race.

That would explain the difference, but it would not mattered any since Hamilton would of not been able to overtake anyway.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    Not true. Alonso only ever got close to Hamilton when there was traffic. Without traffic, he was ever so slightly faster than Alonso lap after lap.

The gap was maintained through out the race and traffic was there for both, there was no sense in lowering the gap bellow that, and when Hamilton was held up too much by traffic and Alonso got too close he would let it open back up to the 2-3 seconds to let the engine breathe, not because Hamilton pulled away as it would seem if we only looked at the lap times, and the gap never openend up lap after lap, like Kimi did over McLaren, or the McLaren over the BMW's.
    Only when they both needed to push because there was an overtaking chance, second pit stop, Alonso was the one who was fastest, before AND after the pit stop. Grainnig is a problem they all suffered with the soft tires, since they were to soft for this race, but that does not happen until after a couple of laps when they start to degrade and by that time Alonso was already running away with it.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    The reason why he pulled away from Hamilton after the second pit stop is because Hamilton struggled from graining on a set of tyres that has not been scrubbed, hence he was forced to slow down. How do I know this? I was a guest of Vodafone McLaren team, and this came from their own team after the race.

That would explain the difference, but it would not mattered any since Hamilton would of not been able to overtake anyway.

In other words:
    "Alonso is faster than everybody else. He just didnt want to win the race." ??
    Or how about: "Alonso could easily have overtaken Hamilton. But because he is such a gentleman, he didnt want to make Hamilton feel bad in his very first F1 GP."

Hamilton got held back by a back marker (I think it was Sato) just before going in for the 2nd pitstop and lost about 1.2 secs lead over Alonso.

If he wasn't held up then it could be a very different story altogether.

Anyway, hats off to the boy. He was so composed and in control all race (bar a couple of minor offs). It was also his first visit to the track - how amazing is that.

It's gonna be a good season for McLaren.

Lasse, remember last season? I'm trying to have friendly discussion, exchanging views and factoids about the races, in this case about Hamilton and Alonso's pace today (which we will never now the truth about since they are all opinions) but I'm not up for the joking and circus back and fourth since we do not connect with each other on that level to be able to do that, nor do I have the time for it. I skim past through those posts to be frank.

So lets continue like we decided last season to avoid each others posts when it comes to F1 I'll skip through yours and you skip through mine. Its no big deal, but lets admit it, you and I are like Prost and Senna, or Wayne Rainey and Kevin Schwantz

You know, if McLaren filled in 1 extra second of fuel for Hamilton in the first pit stop, and were one second faster on his second pit stop (it was particularly slow) the results may have been very different. Carlos you watch, Hamilton will be ahead of Alonso a few times this year. Wait till we get him to Europe on circuits he knows, and not a street circuit that he has only seen on the computer or television!

I agree, Hamilton had the handicap of the fuel load in that he was in front leading, and Alonso being behind was able to conserve fuel better I think by following. Alonso himself admitted he didn't think he would get two full laps more than Hamilton on the second stop, and that made a difference. Since Hamilton came in after Alonso on the first stop, Hamilton's team had the chance to know how much fuel Alsonos put in before hand and therefore put in a bit more to come in after Alonso on the second but seems wasn't enough.

I agree we will see Hamilton in front and maybe even win a GP this season. I was impressed not in the fact of him being quick, but rather how well and composed he was behind the wheel being his first F1 race, and with the reigning champion behind him the whole race, he made no mistakes. That to me says more about his potential than anything else. Also the more than 8400km in preseason he did are paying off, that was a good effort by McLaren on the pre-season.

Looks like we all agree then. Hamilton will cause Alonso some big problems this year, but ultimately Alonso will still come out ahead this year. You would hope so given he is a double world champ vs a debutant.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754498 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431287 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255746 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868748 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802575 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM