Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: GT3 Order - suggestions/comments welcome

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    your dealer is absolutely correct... the sport chrono on the GT3 only serve as a timer, as the car comes with the sport mode button for exhaust and remaping purposes...

To confirm, in the GT3 the sport chrono's only function is a clock and lap timer? All other functions including throttle mapping and exhaust modification are controlled by the sport button (std. on the GT3)? Is this correct?

Quote:
    porkernut said:
    Quote:
    porkernut said:
    In the UK the car comes with leather & alcantara seats as standard, but the dash, doors etc are leatherette plastic, I paid extra for full leather which includes the dash, doors, rear cubby box etc, but the steering wheel, centre of the seats, doors etc are still alcantara, which is very hard wearing.

When you say the alcantara is "very hard wearing" do you mean it is durable, or the reverse? Again, my dealer told me it is like suede and that its fuzzy stuff gets worn off easily and then it doesn't look good. What do you think?

Also, it looks like you went silver and also popped for sport chrono and PCM. Are you happy with those decisions?

thanks & aloha.

I have had alcantra on my last 2 cars my personnal view is its outstanding, and im talking alot of track time as well as road use and nothing like suede as it's a breathable materialthat keeps you cool when hot , but not cold on an icy morning

That's very useful information. Thank you!!!!!!

the info. was confirmed on the forum, from an exerpt from the dealer manual...

the Chrono does a bit more than lap timer and clock - but nothing materially of interest...

Chipper, the Alcantara looks great & is durable, but only time will tell for sure. I went silver & am very happy, the PCm is a no brainer, the system is good adds very little extra weight & will aid re-sale. This new GT3 really is a car you can use every day so it isn't like speccing a GT3 of old, the re-sale appeal will much broader than before, people will trade up from their 997S & want a decent stereo & sat nav alongside the awesome driving capabilities of the car! I don't have sports chrono , it only adds track timing plus the ability to vary car locking & lighting modes! The GT3 comes with its own seperate "sport" & pasm buttons as standard.

Here is what I think:

- drop the adaptive sport seats; I have them since 2004 - the sport seats are just fine;
    - leather in a GT3? you should buy a Turbo or a C4S than ...
    - PCM? Do you want a GT3 or a Grand Tourer? Go fo the navigation and phone module too ...

For God sake it's a GT3!

Everything else makes sense.

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    Here is what I think:

- drop the adaptive sport seats; I have them since 2004 - the sport seats are just fine;
    - leather in a GT3? you should buy a Turbo or a C4S than ...
    - PCM? Do you want a GT3 or a Grand Tourer? Go fo the navigation and phone module too ...

For God sake it's a GT3!

Everything else makes sense.

Pentium move with the times, this is the first GT3 that is comfortable enough to drive every day, BUT it is still an awesome driving machine.

My question is why not take all the benefits this model offers you, have sat nav a decent stereo (they add very little weight) & still enjoy the awesome performance handling & sound offered by the new model!
    In the past virtually every GT3 was a track day car with some on road use, the new model is nearly as comfortable as a 997S, but still offers the amazing feel of the earlier models.
    So I have the best of both worlds, I can cruise with the stereo blasting when in traffic & switch the sport button on & the stereo off for an adrenalin pumping B road blast. two cars in one..win win....WHY NOT!!!!!!!!!

To each it's own.
    My "shades of gray" are:

- a C2S+X51 can go with PCM and navi and phone and so on.
    - the GT3 should be as it is plus just some minor comfort things not with big things like the above ones.
    - the RS should be with rollcage, carbon seats and ceramic brakes.
    - the Turbo should have it all, AWD and full leather.

One more thing: I stick with Porsche because of cars like the GT3. If I want to move along I would pick a R8 a Ferrari or a Lambo.

I still like the old MX5, the 911, the Elise also because they are manufactured for so long based on a original layout just improved over time.

I hate to see cars changed each 4 years just for the sake of change (to be read marketing).

Great Photo, pokernut. The interior pics you showed earlier did have sport chrono. So those are stock photos, not of you're car?

You're going to kick yourself later for deleting the PCCBs.

Actually I put PCCB back in. Here's the revised order. I know it is an extravagance to get Natural Leather interior, but, hey, I'm going to die some day. Right? We all are. The adaptive sport seats are because I have long legs and sometimes the manual adjust does not give the seat bottom the right pitch for my comfort. Otherwise, yes, three grand is a lot of money for electric seats. I ditched the sport chrono after so many members said it was a waste on the GT3, which has a sport button anyway.

Oh, yeah, do I want XPA, thicker steering wheel, or 460, smoother leather steering wheel? Are both sport wheels? Not that triangular wheel on the std. Carerra?

Any last minute advice? This order is going in within one hour. Thanks...

Interior Color 18 Natural Leather Grey
    Exterior Color B4 Carrara White $0
    Interior P01 Adaptive Sport Seats $2,295
    810 Floor Mats in Interior Color $140
    Exterior P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package $1,090
    P12 Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor $690
    Interior Leather 460 Leather Sport Steering Wheel or XPA thicker sport wheel $0
    Audio/Communications 490 Sound Package Plus $715
    Performance 450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake $8,840
    (PCCB)

Good call on PCCB.

The XPA wheel is a thicker version of the 460 wheel. I'd keep the stock Alcantara wheel, but if you do want leather, go for XPA.
    (unless the thumb stops bother you, then you've got to order 460)

I'd stick to the Black leather interior. Since many interior pieces are covered in Alcantara, the benefit of the higher-quality leather is reduced IMHO.
    Moreover, the black plastic parts blend in better in a black leather interior than in the slightly lighter natural grey interior. Natural Grey leather requires a lot of additional leather options to look best (also IMHO).

Good luck on your order. Begun the wait has.

I can't speak to the wheels, but this revision looks good to me. Many of the options are personal choice, and only you can really tell what works for you.

So even in the natural grey interior with adaptative sport seats, the seat surfaces are alcantara?

If that's so, maybe it does make more sense to go with the std. interior. Thanks.

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    To each it's own.
    My "shades of gray" are:

- a C2S+X51 can go with PCM and navi and phone and so on.
    - the GT3 should be as it is plus just some minor comfort things not with big things like the above ones.
    - the RS should be with rollcage, carbon seats and ceramic brakes.
    - the Turbo should have it all, AWD and full leather.

Pentium I have one thing to say to you AMD!!!!

WHY just because it once was should it now be!

If you can have a car that can be comfortable & feature some useful extras like navigation & a decent stereo, that also can transform into a driving icon, a living breathing beast that will bellow in your ear like Lucifer, allow you to feel in contact with every inch of its metal & it's contact with the road.
    Organic, alive, involving, thrilling, but also sometimes acceptably smooth but never soft, relaxing but never sleepy, practical but always special.

WHy wouldn't you embrace this, just because of the way it used to be.

Times change, things move on, embrace the future or forget Pentiums & computers they are the future as is the internet & chat forums, but perhaps we should stick with phone & FAX MACHINE &...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    chipper said:
    Great Photo, pokernut. The interior pics you showed earlier did have sport chrono. So those are stock photos, not of you're car?

Yup I found you a picture of the standard interior plus full leather interior, it is the same as mine but I don't have the sports chrono, the silver car is my actual toy!
    Can I just clarify in the UK the seats are leather & alcantara as standard, but the dash etc is plastic & looks rather cheap on an Pounds80k car, we pay an extra Pounds1600 for leather on the dash doors pillars etc, we can pay Pounds2500 for the natural leather finish, but as mentioned this looks a little better but doesn't justify the price difference! I did get the extra leather but not the natural leather!
    I would still not have adaptive seats or PCCB's, together these options cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ & you won't get them back come re-sale!
    with this car I feel you either go comfort spec.. PCM/stereo upgrade, leather etc or track spec, bucket seats, roll cage, PCCB's. That way it will find the right buyer come re-sale whilst meeting your chosen needs!

I'll consider your advice. I suppose with PCCB,PCM, sport chrono, adaptive seats, etc., one could have a fairly "complete" car that would interest various buyers upon resale?

Anybody seen a white GT3 with PCCB? Do the yellow brakes look good on white? The red ones, to my eye, do look pretty good. Thanks.

Quote:
    chipper said:
    So even in the natural grey interior with adaptative sport seats, the seat surfaces are alcantara?

That's correct, to the best of my knowledge. The central seat surfaces (and door panel trim, steering wheel, and storage compartment lid) will always be in Alcantara.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    chipper said:

That's correct, to the best of my knowledge. The central seat surfaces (and door panel trim, steering wheel, and storage compartment lid) will always be in Alcantara.

Since there is so little leather in the car, does it make sense to go for the cheaper leather upgrade--black at about two grand--or just stick with the std. interior? Some have said the std. Interior is fine, a few others that the plastic surfaces look a little cheap. With the black leather option, I assume you get the dash covered, part of the doors, etc.?

And what about the steering wheel? The car configurator says steering wheel in leather, but all photos I've seen show alcantara steering wheels ....

Re: GT3 Order - last revision of order

Thanks for all your input. As a result of what you've said in these pages, I have changed color from silver to white and interior from Natural Grey to std. alcantara. Other suggestions I have weighed carefully, such as drop PCM, sport chrono, adaptive seats, etc. Some of these I have kept, however, due to my own preferences.

I guess my only lingering questions are: 1) is it worth spending $3k (US) for black leather when most of the interior stays in alcantara anyway. ANd 2) which steering wheel to order XPA (thicker) or 460 (Smooth leather). Both seem to actually come in alcantara anyway.

The window for my order is closing quickly, so I'll sleep on this and look for any last-minute suggestions tomorrow mornning.

Thank you again. I truly believe you've made this a better car for me than it would have been otherwise. Aloha, Chipper

Interior Color 28 Black Leather Seats $0
    P01 Adaptive Sport Seats $2,295
    74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package $1,090
    XPA Leather Sport Steering Wheel $0
    PCM Porsche Communications Management $3,070
    450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) $8,840
    640 Sport Chrono Pkg W PCM $690

I would not change the steering wheel. that is the best part in alcantara. it feels great and is a key difference to normal 911s. Your wasting your money on the chrono...

I'd have kept the black full leather option. It covers the dashboard and door panels. It's worth the upgrade IMHO, although the plastic material they're using is much better than the one in the 997. After all, you'll be looking at it every day.

Regarding the steering wheel, keep it stock. The stock steering wheel is a nice thick Alcantara wheel. XPA and 460 change it to leather (460 is thinner than XPA and stock).

Sport Chrono is useless on the GT3. As other already mentioned, the good features are already there. In fact, I wish the "sport button without the stupid wart" option was available on other models.

I'd also order leather sun visors from the dealer. They're not available as a factory option on the GT3, but your order can fit them when the car arrives. They're a major improvement over the stock vinyl visors.

Quote:
    chipper said:
    Thanks for all your input. As a result of what you've said in these pages, I have changed color from silver to white and interior from Natural Grey to std. alcantara. Other suggestions I have weighed carefully, such as drop PCM, sport chrono, adaptive seats, etc. Some of these I have kept, however, due to my own preferences.

I guess my only lingering questions are: 1) is it worth spending $3k (US) for black leather when most of the interior stays in alcantara anyway. ANd 2) which steering wheel to order XPA (thicker) or 460 (Smooth leather). Both seem to actually come in alcantara anyway.

The window for my order is closing quickly, so I'll sleep on this and look for any last-minute suggestions tomorrow mornning.

Thank you again. I truly believe you've made this a better car for me than it would have been otherwise. Aloha, Chipper

Interior Color 28 Black Leather Seats $0
    P01 Adaptive Sport Seats $2,295
    74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package $1,090
    XPA Leather Sport Steering Wheel $0
    PCM Porsche Communications Management $3,070
    450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) $8,840
    640 Sport Chrono Pkg W PCM $690

Stick with what you have now ! you have chosen an excellent package not too disimilar to mine and im very happy with it

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I'd also order leather sun visors from the dealer. They're not available as a factory option on the GT3, but your order can fit them when the car arrives. They're a major improvement over the stock vinyl visors.

That should obviously have read: but your dealer can fit them when the car arrives.

Thanks again. I'm going to submit changes today. I'll stick with the stock alcantara steering wheel, probably order leather, and I may ditch the sport chrono. If I do that, I don't frankly see any reason for PCM, plus my dealer has suggested I not bother with it. So those two moves will save a little money.... Mahalo!

Congratulations, your GT3 is going to be awesome.

PCM without nav is useless IMHO. And do you really need the nav on Hawai'i?
    In fact, the base setup is probably easier to use, so feel free to pass on it.

This was the final revision, dropping PCM and sport chrono. Still not sure about the steering wheel ... not sure if I want leather or alantara. Thanks again.

Interior P01 Adaptive Sport Seats $2,295
    Interior Color 18 Natural Leather Dark Grey $4,505
    Exterior P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package $1,090
    450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake $8,840 (PCCB)
    Interior Leather 460 Leather Sport Steering Wheel $0 ?????? Alcantara, 460, or XPA????

You're welcome. IMHO stick with the Alcantara wheel.

(and I still think the Black full leather interior would look better in a GT3 than Natural Grey. In a Natural Grey interior, the plastic trim pieces are black, which stands out next to the charcoal leather. In the black interior, they blend in. A Natural Grey interior has better leather, but requires a lof of expensive Exclusive options to look perfect. Save your money and get a better looking interior. That's a win/win in my book.)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690524 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409779 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256038 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858453 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774746 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM