Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Taillight: Old vs New ?

Lots of us are talking about the 997 face lift, LED etc...

I want to know which taillight do you like.

Current shape or New shape?

LED or No?

Re: Taillight: Old vs New ?

The light change is so subtle I dont have an opinion either way.

LED is better than bulb, but again its a very subtle thing. Hardly a reason to pick a car either way IMHO.

As for the DFI, DKG etc... that is exxpected at the same time, well thats a different matter!

IMO the light shape change the whole feelings of the car.

Current one: Looks man, harder, having little 993 styling and classlic feelings to me.

New one: Looks a little female-ish, softer and little 996 feeling to me.

I have to say I perfer the old shape with LED.

But I don't see this will happen.

Either new shape with LED or Old one.

So do you think shape is more important or LED?

At the beginning when I first saw our tailight I groaned; then got pi**sed that it was that trendy pointy-oval-triangle shape.

The new one is slightly better but still is too contrived or frilly for me. The fact that they f'ed up the back end near the tail pipes with all that extra fluting makes me wonder how many cooks are spoiling the cake.

Here's a shot of the good old days, when the car was more understated and refined.

Thanks MMD!

Any pics of the current headlight vs face lift headlight?

LED with the current shape.
    I hate the new shape but I like the LED tech.

I too don't warm up to the new taillight either. Not awful, but a step backward. All the nonsense down low is really what distracts though

But I have to disagree on the existing 997 lamp. I find it PERFECT. The designer's idea on the 997 to raise the sight-lines and profile of the tail up, makes the car look more aggressive and contemporary, while retaining a clean and crisp and tailored tail. In comparison, the 993 pictured looks rather dumpy and frumpy.

The 997 definitely carries more "tension" down the roofline and through the hind quarters, like a cat preparing to pounce, than the 993, which is a good thing, and is accomplished without the use of arbitrary creases, bulges, scoops or body-lines. When you put a 993 next to a 997, the 997 looks "pouncing cat", the 993 looks "peeing cat". Silly analogy, but... that's what I get when you park the cars side-by-side.

The move to following the taillamp along the TOP edge, rather than the bottom, I also feel really woke up the car's attitude from the rear, and the downward angle creates a nice rakishness and playful personality, and super integration. I've loved it since first sight

Now I'm a huge 993 fan, absolutely huge. I'll have another someday for sure. But it's now heading toward "classic" status, where it looks beautiful, but the style has dated a bit...

The more I look at the new lamps, the more I think it will all "make sense" if they tie them together across the decklid. I'm getting warmer... Still hate the junked-up bottom valance though...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I too don't warm up to the new taillight either. Not awful, but a step backward. All the nonsense down low is really what distracts though

But I have to disagree on the existing 997 lamp. I find it PERFECT. The designer's idea on the 997 to raise the sight-lines and profile of the tail up, makes the car look more aggressive and contemporary, while retaining a clean and crisp and tailored tail. In comparison, the 993 pictured looks rather dumpy and frumpy.

The 997 definitely carries more "tension" down the roofline and through the hind quarters, like a cat preparing to pounce, than the 993, which is a good thing, and is accomplished without the use of arbitrary creases, bulges, scoops or body-lines. When you put a 993 next to a 997, the 997 looks "pouncing cat", the 993 looks "peeing cat". Silly analogy, but... that's what I get when you park the cars side-by-side.

The move to following the taillamp along the TOP edge, rather than the bottom, I also feel really woke up the car's attitude from the rear, and the downward angle creates a nice rakishness and playful personality, and super integration. I've loved it since first sight

Now I'm a huge 993 fan, absolutely huge. I'll have another someday for sure. But it's now heading toward "classic" status, where it looks beautiful, but the style has dated a bit...

Well done!

Totally agreed.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    The more I look at the new lamps, the more I think it will all "make sense" if they tie them together across the decklid.

No, don't tie them together.

The red line like the 993 looks so outdated IMO.

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    The more I look at the new lamps, the more I think it will all "make sense" if they tie them together across the decklid.

No, don't tie them together.

The red line like the 993 looks so outdated IMO.

For me the rear lights are the (only) problem on the 997 design. They could be taken from any random korean car. The red band as last seen on the 996 4s would make the car stand out more.

Other than that I absolutely love the design of the 997. A 2007 version of the 993

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    Thanks MMD!

Ask and ye shall receive (glad to help).

Notice larger mirror; for changed requirements (maybe for just in Europe?).

Kinda off topic but thought I'd add this for context:

lets see...the new taillight, if indeed accurately portrayed,...sucks...yet again a cosmetic facelift that is contrived and a step back from the origional design intent...given enough time perhaps a vinyl roof or gold buckles on the trunk and engine compartment...please

I like upcoming front spoiler, and current tail lights...

Prefer current tail lights, they are sharp and thin.
    I don't like the bent downwards of the new ones.
    Just add del, only red and they will be perfect for the facelift.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    When you put a 993 next to a 997, the 997 looks "pouncing cat", the 993 looks "peeing cat".

I don't know about yall but I find this comment extremely funny...and I'm allergic to cats.

I like the current design.

I like the current front end. I've given the new one alot of thought, and I think it accomplishes the OPPOSITE of what it should. If there'a any cosmetic "gripe" you could have with the 997, it's that the headlamps seem a bit far apart. It's a bit duck-billed up front.

Well, on the new design, they take the side air intakes, and move them FURTHER OUTBOARD, further exagerating the breadth of the nose. Same for the downsizing of the parking lamps, it widens the gap between LH and RH side, making the front looks more stretched.

The new design, if you look at the way the intakes pooch/bulge outboard, almost remind me of what happens to your dog's mouth when he sticks his head out the window at-speed.

The current design is tidy, has good proportions, and I like the friendly smile. It flows. The new one does not flow, it's cluttery, and exagerates a broad snout.

They're trying to cash in on the popularity of the 996 C4S nose it appears, but they missed it by a mile.

993 from the front 3/4, and 997, you can't fault either. Different, but both great.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    Thanks MMD!

Ask and ye shall receive (glad to help).

Notice larger mirror; for changed requirements (maybe for just in Europe?).

You are the man.

Yes, that's bigger. Current mirror looks better.

After looked at these photos, current 997 is the best for me. It is a upgraded 993, the appearance are almost the same.

The face lift had already changed the 993-ish style.

So I don't think Porsche gonna copy the 993 so much again in the future 911.

We don't know yet how the new rear bumper will look like exactly. I mean its detailing. So the facelifted taillights must be seen in its context to pass final judgement. The spy photos show the outline of the taillights and a rather amorphous (taped?) bumper. So IMHO whatever we say cannot be conclusive.

The larger mirrors are dictated by the EU.

How about putting LEDs in the current fixtures!

I like the current because that is what I have on my car.

Quote:
    bstew said:

Very honest words.

Quote:
    bstew said:

Quote:
    bstew said:

LOL. Sounds good to me! My prediction is you'll live longer than the rest of us.

wow,looking at those pics the 993 def looks outdated compared to the 997. the 993TT on the other hand doesnt

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    993 from the front 3/4, and 997, you can't fault either. Different, but both great.

I'm a 993 fan too, but I do find fault with the front end of the 993. It's the worst part of the car. I absolutely hate the way the lines of the body parts meet around the headlamps and the front bonnet. It looks backwards to have the hood further back to me. The 996 and 997 were both big improvements in that regard.

As for the facelift changes, I prefer the new front spoiler (the current one makes me think of "my dad's Oldsmobile", or a Volvo - so tidy and humdrum, like a nerd whose pocket protector had seen more action than his Skoda had designed it) and the new rear tail lights, though I have some reservations about the rear valence as well. The current rear looks heavy compared to the new one . . . but the new rear valence is probably too busy. I'd like to see it in real life.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689991 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409462 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255850 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235079 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858214 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774340 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM