Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT3 Order - suggestions/comments welcome

Because of a last-miniute cancellation, I have the opportunity to order a GT3. Below is what I came up with. If you have comments and suggestions, they are welcome. My dealer is encouraging me to make the following changes: color from silver to white, ditch the PCM, ditch the sport chrono. The PCM and Sport Chrono., I assume, may be useful for resale. The silver color may be common and boring, but it's also classic. Plus, I like it. Anybody have a photo of a 997 GT3 in silver? Thanks.

P01 Adaptive Sport Seats $2,295
    810 Floor Mats in Interior Color $140
    X1 Arctic Silver Metallic $690
    18 Natural Leather Dark Grey $4,505
    P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package $1,090
    P12 Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor $690
    450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake $8,84 (PCCB)
    640 Sport Chrono Pkg $690
    P16 PCM $3,070
    I460 Leather Sport Steering Wheel $0 -
    490 Sound Package Plus $715

Re: GT3 Order - suggestions/comments welcome

Drop the Sport Chrono as you will never use it and it looks bad.

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    Drop the Sport Chrono as you will never use it and it looks bad.

I think so!
    I have sport chrono in my 07 C2S but I would not get it if I had sport button without the chrono.
    I think it spoils the smooth lines of the dashboard.

I would get my GT3 in white color with black/ alcantara adaptive sports seats/ body colored (white) middle consule/ Full leather, Xenons, PCM, and red seat belts/ self dimming mirrors.

What about PCM? With no sport chrono, should one bother with PCM?

Quote:
    chipper said:
    What about PCM? With no sport chrono, should one bother with PCM?

I would skip both on a GT3. I'd think hard about canceling the Sound Package and automatic mirrors & wipers too...

never sean natural leather ..full leather is nice
    PCM and sport chrono no use and mess up interior IMO

why so many people replace the nice alcantara steering with leather?

Awfully gloomy color combo... It's a GT3, let it have a non-metallic straight color. White works...

Quote:
    chipper said:
    Because of a last-miniute cancellation, I have the opportunity to order a GT3. Below is what I came up with. If you have comments and suggestions, they are welcome. My dealer is encouraging me to make the following changes: color from silver to white, ditch the PCM, ditch the sport chrono. The PCM and Sport Chrono., I assume, may be useful for resale. The silver color may be common and boring, but it's also classic. Plus, I like it. Anybody have a photo of a 997 GT3 in silver? Thanks.

X1 Arctic Silver Metallic $690
    18 Natural Leather Dark Grey $4,505
    450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake $8,84 (PCCB)
    P16 PCM $3,070

I would forget a whole lot of the spec you placed above, unless you don't want to loose the money come re-sale, the adaptive sports seats have no memory on the GT3 which negates the big benefit of full electric seats, the sports chrono is only of any use for track timing, the natural leather doesn't look different enough to justify the extra & the Ceramic brakes are a big extra I personally only see the benfit as lack of brake dust as the standard car is so good on road!Just my thoughts & ways to save you some $$$$$, alos one picture of a silver car, hope you like!

I have a white gt3 with only headlights and upgraded stereo as options. The interior is so clean and I love the standard alancantra seats and steering. Less is more in this car. If I did it again I would delete the stereo...I've had it almost a week now and have no intention of turning the stereo on. The exhaust sounds too good. Just my thoughts...

Don't forget the heated seats. Chicks (of all ages ) dig them.

SChrono is fun; it also allows other stuff (convenience features unrelate to performance) to be adjusted.

PCM is ugly and useless, unless you get Nav too, at another us$1K because you are looking for strange streets all the time.

Yes, thanks very much for the photo of the silver car and for all the suggestions. Let me go rethink my order. Sounds like pretty much everybody is down on the sport chrono, except for the track. The basic alcantra interior gets the nod over full leather. PCM, does anybody argue for it? And are there any advocates for PCCB brakes? Where I live iron brakes rust over night; that's one attraction to ceramic, plus the yellow calipers. Thanks again. Please keep the suggestions coming!

if your tracking go for alacantra seats and steering wheel and ceramics every day of the week .

The iron brakes may show surface rust overnight, but it's a non-issue. You'd have to park the car un-used for months-on-end to ever have a worry. That said, my idea of a GT3 is fairly "no-compromise" in the performance hardware arena, and since it's a track-inspired car, the ceramic brakes just "belong". However, I'd get the PCM and the stereo upgrade too. Screw it. All the purist "seductive melody of the exhaust" poetic waxing doesn't help a bit when you're taking a trip in your hot car, and you have the notion to crank up some hot tunes... I've got LOTS of muscle cars that make incredible big-block V8 music... and that's great and all... but you still get bored senseless. Not every road is a mini replica of Nurburbring. Options, to me, are less about how MUCH you use them, and a bit more about having them when you want them, and balancing that luxury against the cost....

Sometimes, all the "just a racing seat, a steering wheel, and a tach is all I need" chest-puffing just seems like overly-romantic posturing, when the car is going to see primarily street-use. We all want to dream the dream. But me, as long as I can squeek some nifty features in without unduly slowing the car down, or things getting in my physical way, I'm not going to allow purist-perception to hobble me. Get the features that mean the most to you, that you can justify/afford, and don't worry another minute about it. Unless you're ordering a strict track car, in which case, all the options are a waste except the ones that enhance performance and seat comfort/bolstering.

Sport Chrono Pkg is worthless

I have purchased mine as a daily driver & will rarely track the car, so I didn't want the bucket seats or chunk of metal behind my head! The buckets are finished in cheap fabric, you can't adjust the height without an allen key etc, you can't flip the seats forward to gain access to the back for carrying items & with the roll cage fitted you can't put cases etc in there anyway! It also seems to amplify road noise through the metal! The standard steel brakes are AWESOME & the benefit from ceramics are marginal, slightly better ride & handling/stopping but only by a few degrees for an extra $$$$$$$$$ then there is the issue of past reliability problems & re-sale when your car has done a few thousand km & you come to sell it on the next buyer may be faced with ahuge bill to replace the ceramics & chip your price accordingly, have you seen how much they cost to replace!!!!!!! The only BIG benefit IMO is lack of brake dust.
    the purists insist the car should be specified like a race car but the new model is an awesome track car that you can use EVERY day & I think it is best to specify it accordingly!
    I went for
    Mettalic, PCM nav - Sound upgrade - full leather (maybe standard in the US? is extra in europe) - Xenons - crests on the seats, cruise control for speed camera's & that is it!
    I drive mine to work every day & you really can use it like a regular 997S (the standard suspension is between the normal S PASM setting & sport) although it is lower for speed humps! But when the mood takes you it is in another league as a drivers car, the sound, the handling, the feel is awesome!

After reading your comments I have a revised order below. I haven't submitted it yet, but will have to very soon to get it under the wire. Several of you mentioned that the alcantra interior is sufficient without popping for full leather. And the PCCB brakes are marginally better, but probably not worth the high price unless I track. I also ditched silver metallic paint for white, since the GT3 looks so good in white and rather unspectacular in silver. I also deleted PCM, since without a big stereo and no need for nav, it's probably not necessary. Several folks said ditch the sport chrono, but one said it's fun. I still like the idea of having that sport button along with the PASM button. Might sport chrono be helpful at resale? Still open to having it or removing it.

Your comments, as always, are welcome.

OLD ORDER

X1 Arctic Silver Metallic $690 DELETE
    18 Natural Leather Dark Grey $4,505 DELETE
    450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake $8,84 (PCCB) DELETE
    P16 PCM $3,070 DELETE

NEW ORDER

Interior Color 28 Black Leather/Alcantra Seats $0 ADD
    Wheels 420 19" GT3 Wheel $0
    Exterior Color B4 Carrara White $0 ADD
    Interior P01 Adaptive Sport Seats $2,295
    Exterior P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package $1,090
    Performance 639 Sport Chrono Pkg W/Out PCM $690
    Interior Leather 460 Leather Sport Steering Wheel $0
    Audio/Communications 490 Sound Package Plus $715

Quote:
    chipper said:I still like the idea of having that sport button along with the PASM button. Might sport chrono be helpful at resale? Still open to having it or removing it.

The Sport button comes automatically on all GT3's - the Sport Chrono only adds the timer and the clock on the dash. I think it offers minimal value now or for resale...

Thanks for that vital infor. about the sport button. I haven't seen a brochure with all details on the GT3, so this helps much.

Quote:
    chipper said:
    After reading your comments I have a revised order below. I haven't submitted it yet, but will have to very soon to get it under the wire. Several of you mentioned that the alcantra interior is sufficient without popping for full leather. And the PCCB brakes are marginally better, but probably not worth the high price unless I track. I also ditched silver metallic paint for white, since the GT3 looks so good in white and rather unspectacular in silver. I also deleted PCM, since without a big stereo and no need for nav, it's probably not necessary. Several folks said ditch the sport chrono, but one said it's fun. I still like the idea of having that sport button along with the PASM button. Might sport chrono be helpful at resale? Still open to having it or removing it.

OLD ORDER

P16 PCM $3,070 DELETE

NEW ORDER

Chipper - I don't think that these options are critical. It is more a matter of personal taste. You don't need them really. For a better resale value I wouldn't put too many options on the list. Now I think its fine. (Without PCCB). Color - you can choice the one you like. I have seen many GT3s in different color and believe me - the GT3 looks great in ALL colors.

Maybe one useful functional feature: TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The new tires are much sensitive, i.e. the pressure changes quickly with your driving behavior. TPM helps to remind you to reduce tire pressure - especially on the track. (And to increase after track day!!!)

mobile

Quote:
    chipper said:

OLD ORDER

P16 PCM $3,070 DELETE

NEW ORDER

The old order was much better, IMO, lacking only heated seats. I've not had the autodim mirrors, but all the rest is what I'd order.

Well, now I'm totally confused. The old order and the new order represent two different cars. Each would be awesome in its way. The hard part is deciding which one best suits me. Sometimes I think I should have just hung tough with my original vision. It was based on instinct. Then started the second-guessing. I do apprecaite all the input. And I wish I could see the GT3 in person in various colors. But where I live this is impossible. I've seen only one, and that was not here but on the mainland. Thanks again. Any final thoughts welcome.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    The iron brakes may show surface rust overnight, but it's a non-issue. You'd have to park the car un-used for months-on-end to ever have a worry. That said, my idea of a GT3 is fairly "no-compromise" in the performance hardware arena, and since it's a track-inspired car, the ceramic brakes just "belong". However, I'd get the PCM and the stereo upgrade too. Screw it. All the purist "seductive melody of the exhaust" poetic waxing doesn't help a bit when you're taking a trip in your hot car, and you have the notion to crank up some hot tunes... I've got LOTS of muscle cars that make incredible big-block V8 music... and that's great and all... but you still get bored senseless. Not every road is a mini replica of Nurburbring. Options, to me, are less about how MUCH you use them, and a bit more about having them when you want them, and balancing that luxury against the cost....

Sometimes, all the "just a racing seat, a steering wheel, and a tach is all I need" chest-puffing just seems like overly-romantic posturing, when the car is going to see primarily street-use. We all want to dream the dream. But me, as long as I can squeek some nifty features in without unduly slowing the car down, or things getting in my physical way, I'm not going to allow purist-perception to hobble me. Get the features that mean the most to you, that you can justify/afford, and don't worry another minute about it. Unless you're ordering a strict track car, in which case, all the options are a waste except the ones that enhance performance and seat comfort/bolstering.

Agree, 100%!

And I would absolutely get the PCCB! I LOVE Arctic Silver; however, White is the best color for the GT3 .

Congratulatons!

your dealer is absolutely correct... the sport chrono on the GT3 only serve as a timer, as the car comes with the sport mode button for exhaust and remaping purposes... while White is the most common color on the GT3, it is the BEST... drop the full natural leather interior, expensive and useless on such a car... so is the PCM... congrats!

what ever you do your going to enjoy it . I think its great that everyone has such different tastes,views and use for the car, but don't look back and think i wished i'd got that option just because of our opinions , spec the car to your budget not ours, it's harder to put the toys on at a later date. but what a great conundrum to have !Enjoy

Interior: My dealer suggested that the standard alcantra interior (which I have not seen) is suede-like and wears quickly. That's one reason why he recommended full leather. Anybody have that standard interior and want to weigh in about how well it wears, how it compares with full leather? Thanks.

Quote:
    chipper said:
    Interior: My dealer suggested that the standard alcantra interior (which I have not seen) is suede-like and wears quickly. That's one reason why he recommended full leather. Anybody have that standard interior and want to weigh in about how well it wears, how it compares with full leather? Thanks.

Excuse my bluntness, but your dealer is a moron. Alcantra looks like suede, feels like suede, but WEARS like chain mail... How would they know how it wears, prior to the GT3, what experience do they have with it? They're talking out their ass, to put it bluntly. When it comes to comparing modern seating materials, be it cloth, alcantra and leather, the most durable would be alcantra, the second cloth (I'm talking quality cloth), and bringing up the rear is leather. Leather wears terrible (big picture), you've got to avoid your bolster on ingress, you've got to keep it treated, you've got to keep it out of the sun, it's prone to scratches and scrapes that are permanent, and it STILL gets wrinkled and used looking in rapid order compared to other materials. If it were not for the perceived luxury and beautiful look of leather (it does LOOK best, and makes you feel like you're living large), I'd say it stinks from a standpoint of utility.

You can wash alcantra, your dogs can stomp and clamor over alcantra, you can have a burrito blow-out the bottom onto your alcantra (happened to me), and it comes clean like new. I had alcantra with basketweave vinyl inserts in my Ford Lightning pickup, and it was indestructible. When I sold the truck after 5+ years of almost daily use, motorcross trips, dogs to the lake, etc.etc.., the interior looked like the day I bought it...

Sorry I get so riled, but I lose it when dealers speak of things they do not know... You're making a big investment, they should steer you straight.

In the UK the car comes with leather & alcantara seats as standard, but the dash, doors etc are leatherette plastic, I paid extra for full leather which includes the dash doors, rear cubby box etc, but the steering wheel, centre of the seats, doors etc are still alcantara, which is very hard wearing. I'm not sure what you get as standard in the US, check with your dealer. The "special" leather you were planning to order is even more expensive & looks very similar, so isn't worth even more cash.

As the other guys say the opther options are very personal so go with what you want, but don't over spec it otherwise you will loose $$$$$$. Unless you are a big track day nut i really would spend a stack of cash on ceramics, bucket seats & roll cages. I would also remind you that the adaptive sports seats add a lot of weight & don't have memory. I'd really save the cash, its quicker to slide the seat back & forwards manually, the height adjuster i s a one pull handle & the back is electric as standard! Incidentally I went silver, love it!
    HERE are a couple of pictures which feature the full leather interior with alcantara inserts.

Quote:
    chipper said:

have had alcantra on my last 2 cars my personnal view is its outstanding, and im talking alot of track time as well as road use and nothing like suede as it's a breathable materialthat keeps you cool when hot , but not cold on an icy morning

Quote:
    porkernut said:
    In the UK the car comes with leather & alcantara seats as standard, but the dash, doors etc are leatherette plastic, I paid extra for full leather which includes the dash, doors, rear cubby box etc, but the steering wheel, centre of the seats, doors etc are still alcantara, which is very hard wearing. I'm not sure what you get as standard in the US, check with your dealer. The "special" leather you were planning to order is even more expensive & looks very similar, so isn't worth even more cash.

As the other guys say the other options are very personal so go with what you want, but don't over spec it otherwise you will loose $$$$$$. Unless you are a big track day nut i really would NOT spend a stack of cash on ceramics, bucket seats & roll cages. I would also remind you that the adaptive sports seats add a lot of weight & don't have memory. I'd really save the cash, its quicker to slide the seat back & forwards manually, the height adjuster i s a one pull handle & the back is electric as standard! Incidentally I went silver, love it!
    HERE are a couple of pictures which feature the full leather interior with alcantara inserts.

Sorry just spotted I missed the word NOT out & totally changed the context, it wouldn't let me re-edit the original so apologies for posting again! NOT

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752943 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430624 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868218 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801757 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM