Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997S on Turbo Wheels

Quote:
    carcam said:
    Everyone has their own opinion and it's great that there is no best answer.

FWIW, Spend some time with designers or go to design school, learn the language, and find out that there may be several solutions to a design problem but, because it's a language, it's never a matter of personal opinion or "to-each-his-own" as to which solutions succeed and which fail.

Good luck with your choice! Decisions, decisions... how fortunate we are! Get what YOU like the best- then you won't go wrong.

Adam2S

funny, I come from a M3 too, so maybe that's why we like to dark finished turbo wheels

regarding sportchrono, I concur, on the M3 it was useless, and on the 997 the chrono itself is really ugly... I just took it because it allows the PSM to intervene even later when switched off... or is this incorrect? so I'm hoping it wil allow some nice slides...

Aftermarket wheels? I would only consider BBS LM's, nothing else

Beltar,

Wim sealed the deal, very pleased with him actually... just changed my order again, dropped basaltblack for uniblack... I know it's a bitch to clean and keep shining, but the result is so much more rewarding then basaltblack...
    Yep first one from Verellen, used though have a 993 before, but purchased it from a private seller.

Quote:
    loe said:

regarding sportchrono, I concur, on the M3 it was useless, and on the 997 the chrono itself is really ugly... I just took it because it allows the PSM to intervene even later when switched off... or is this incorrect? so I'm hoping it wil allow some nice slides...

You are correct regarding PSM.

You did the right thing.

I refused to order it because of the poser look and it ruined a very clean dash line (like the original 911 had).

Now I wish I got it for the PSM and throttle mapping fun.

You can remove the SC from the dash and get a nice leather patch to cover the hole. Pop it off, remove bezel, stuff watch in dash, install custom cover.

Just my sincere and humble advice - ignore the 'wart' and you will probably not need the intermediate PSM setting BUT, you WILL find the revised throttle map enormous fun. If I did it all over again, I still wouldn't leave out Sport Chrono for this one single feature.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Just my sincere and humble advice - ignore the 'wart' and you will probably not need the intermediate PSM setting BUT, you WILL find the revised throttle map enormous fun. If I did it all over again, I still wouldn't leave out Sport Chrono for this one single feature.

Eggs Akkly e_r911

Don't make the mistake I did.

Oh, while you're at it be sure to get the Sport Exhaust on the "S" so you can justify the four tail pipes (I could kick myself for missing getting SE on my order ). Insted of driving around with fake quads, you'll have a reason (though not a great one IMO) for the four tips.

Quote:
    just changed my order again, dropped basaltblack for uniblack... I know it's a bitch to clean and keep shining, but the result is so much more rewarding then basaltblack...

I've got a Protech sealing done.Do it at once, when having the car new it's worth every cent! The wheels (mine are difficult to clean sportdesigns) are clean in no time. just spray their product and use high pressure cleaner. My basaltblack has still a new deep shine after 2 years and 30k.

Regarding the "turbo wheels" question - I would not use them. With so many great aftermarket wheels, why try to make your 997S look like an (imposter) turbo? I also don't like those who use 997GT wheels/spoilers/etc on the Turbo. IMO it simply cheapens the car.

However, it is your car and you should be happy with it. Do as you please.

Just my $0.02. (since you asked).

Beltar,
    A friend of mine has a waxing company, so I will go that route instead of protech Gent...

mp,

imposter? imposter? since the wheels are offered as a genuine option, I don't see why this would have anything to do with pretending to have a turbo? If I wanted a safe 4wd ballistic missile, I would have opted for the turbo, but I don't want that

btw, I also specced the GT3RS suede steering wheel... (previous car was an M3CS which had a suede steering wheel and since then I'm in love with suede steering wheels)

does this make me a shizofrenic Turbo-GT3 imposter?

MP - Turbo wheels only make the car look like a turbo wannabe to somebody who is an*l enough to know they are standard on the TT, but not well informed enough to know they are now a standard option on all 997's and caymen's. To most people out there who dont know one Porsche from another let alone the sublties of the wheel choices, they simply make the car look stunning. Once you become dispasionate about the fact they are fit to TT's you realise they are leagues above the other painted wheels in looks. Everbody is entited to their own choice of favourite of course, but I fail to see how a factory fit option can possibly make a model look like another one.

My better half knows nothing of the sublties of model options, but she also agreed that the turbo wheels look the best of all the factory choices on a black car. We saw all the options in the showroom, inc the black car pictured above, before choosing. I trust her opinion in terms of style far more than people whos perception is tainted by the knowledge of what wheels are "supposed" to come with what car?

Lets not forget that all these options we are talking about are factory fit options. There is no logic to saying that they make a car look like a different model upon which it may be fitted as standard. FFS its like saying that a 997 with PASM is a 997S wannabe... No, its just a factory fit option!

Rant over - enjoy

do what you like! That's why Porsche offers more optional wheels than anytime in their history! Here's the weight information that might be a factor:

Porsche Factory Carrera S

8x19" 22 lbs. 4 oz.

11x19" 27 lbs. 12 oz.

Porsche Factory Carrera Classic

8x19" 23 lbs. 10 oz.

11x19" 28 lbs. 11 oz.

Porsche Factory Carrera Sport Design

8x19" 24 lbs. 3 oz.

11x19" 28 lbs. 3 oz.

Porsche Factory Carrera Sport

8.5x19" 24 lbs. 2 oz.

11.5x19" 29 lbs. 4 oz.

Porsche Factory forged turbo

8.5x19" 23 lbs. 8 oz

11x19" 27 lbs. 14 oz.

Factory 997 GT3

8.5x19" 24 lbs. 5 oz.

12x19" 30 lbs. 13 oz.

Dymags--magnesium, carbon fiber

8.5 x 18 15 lbs. 12 oz.

11 x 18 18 lbs. 5 oz.

dan

I saw a black C4S with turbo wheels it looked really good!!!! I think it's an excellent choice..I don't think the colored SD wheels look that good...but that's just me.. Sport design wheels look better when they're not colored in my opinion

Quote:
    mp said:
    Regarding the "turbo wheels" question - I would not use them. With so many great aftermarket wheels, why try to make your 997S look like an (imposter) turbo? I also don't like those who use 997GT wheels/spoilers/etc on the Turbo. IMO it simply cheapens the car.

However, it is your car and you should be happy with it. Do as you please.

Just my $0.02. (since you asked).

I guess that makes me a base 997 "imposter" since I put Carrera classics on my S and not the standard lobster forks. Wait!.....I just saw a Caymen with Sport Design wheels. Now the question is he trying to pose as a 997 or 997S.
    I am anxiously awaiting the response from this forum to determine how to classify this finding.

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:

I guess that makes me a base 997 "imposter" since I put Carrera classics on my S and not the standard lobster forks. Wait!.....I just saw a Caymen with Sport Design wheels. Now the question is he trying to pose as a 997 or 997S.
    I am anxiously awaiting the response from this forum to determine how to classify this finding.

Relax, enjoy, do what makes you happy.

I figure you are COVERED 100% if you have a car that has any of the equipment Porsche offered as options when it left the factory.

IOW, if the 997 you have could have been ordered with Turbo wheels you have every right to legitimacy in showing off those turbo wheels on a non-Turbo.

If the Cayman can be ordered with Sport Designs then he's got a great car with wheels he likes (nothing less).

If he puts _Turbo_ wheels on a Cayman..., well..., as long as they fit, that's fine too. Nobody cares.

If a guy cuts turbo vents in his 997 fenders..., then we have a problem.

my point exactly. pay your money... do what makes you happy. i think it's great that we have the choice to customize our cars with factory parts. someone elses opinion should not deter you for making your wheel choice. if you like it, get it.

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:
    my point exactly. pay your money... do what makes you happy. i think it's great that we have the choice to customize our cars with factory parts. someone elses opinion should not deter you for making your wheel choice. if you like it, get it.

Yes. It's probably smart to get the wheels that the car was ordered with or could have been ordered with . At least hold onto them because they might be preferred when/if you sell.

Lots of guys will only buy a used p-car that is completely stock.

Quote:
    MMD said:

If he puts _Turbo_ wheels on a Cayman..., well..., as long as they fit, that's fine too. Nobody cares.

If a guy cuts turbo vents in his 997 fenders..., then we have a problem.

Actually 997TT "Turbo Wheels" can now be ordered as factory fit options on both Caymen and Caymen S - check out the porsche car configurator! At least thats true for the UK market anyway. So Im afraid a Caymen with Turbo wheels is also 100% legit.

Anyway, I agree if something can be ordered as factory fit then you cannot by the very nature of it be making your car look like another in the range. A 997S with factory fit turbo wheels looks like and is a true 997S.

People may not agree with Porsche offering wheels or any other option across the whole range, but take that complaint up with Porsche not the owners.

Totally agree about turbo vents in the fenders though. Unless of course Porsce start offering these as standard

I think the Turbo wheels go lovely on my C4S..I really do not like any of the other wheel choices Im afraid. Mine actually came with the sports design wheels on and I just couldnt live with them...to each their own!

and another

last one..hopefully these pics help others making similar decisions...although the porsche configurator is good, you still need to see such pics...best of luck

Quote:
    Adam2S said:

Actually 997TT "Turbo Wheels" can now be ordered as factory fit options on both Caymen and Caymen S - check out the porsche car configurator! At least thats true for the UK market anyway. So Im afraid a Caymen with Turbo wheels is also 100% legit.

That's great! Got no problem with that. It's a simple options choice; whatever the buyer wants while ordering is good.

This "exclusive" sh*t is annoying anyway. It's the reason for most "posers" in the first place.

It's like Porsche is playing with us. "Geez, my brake calipers aren't red, that must mean I have a lesser car. Holy sh*t, I sure hope I don't get caught at a stoploight with a car that has YELLOW calipers!" Keep all calipers the same color and nobody "suffers" like this. Plus nobody can start feeling like they're "better." Can be viewed with exasperation that Porsche has decided to undertake manipulations like this.

Chris5150

thanks, the wheels look great! order is processed with turbo wheels

Chris5150 - beautiful car!
    I was going to post this pic and say "I think the wheels look good, but only on dark cars"... now have to add "...and red cars too."

Agreed, looks fantastic on red also! Congrats on a fine choice.

Ive noticed that quite a large number of the newest used cars on the OPC website now have Turbo wheels. When you consider they include the crests in the wheels they also look very good value for such a stunning wheel.

So much for people not liking them on the whole - could be something to do with the fact they were simply not available when their car was built and a small dose of sour-bum-grapes that Porsche have since released better looking wheels.

Quote:
    Adam2S said:
    could be something to do with the fact they were simply not available when their car was built and a small dose of sour-bum-grapes that Porsche have since released better looking wheels.

Sorry, not for me. Such choices are very personal,and in no way black or white!
    That's just great we have the choice out of such a range of rims today!
    For me the 3-spokes are never my thing, i didn't like them on the cayenne neither
    Must admit they look great on the red car!

I think they work on white too!!...just seen this GT3 lookalike go up on ebay. Funnily I also dislike the std GT3 wheels and think the turbo rims make the car, but like you say each to their own

Love the white too! In fact now im not so sure what colours the Turbo's wont look good with...lol

Do you have a link to the ebay lookalike - Im collecting pics of cars in various colours with Aerokit and Turbo wheels as this is my choice. Sad I know, yeah.. but a link would be appreciated.

PS : Im not so far away from you Chris, a fellow yorkshireman!

---EDIT---

Opps - Just found it myself.
    997-4S with Aerokit for sale on UK Ebay

The only thing I dont like about the turbo wheels is when they are really clean, just a bit too bling for me, but given a tad of brake dust just dulls them enough to look cool!

hehe

That's even better!
    Really don't like cleaning wheels

Looking good on Meteor too:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689766 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409342 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255802 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235026 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65553 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858112 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774186 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM