Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

will Porsche still be Porsche in next 10 years?

porsche is producing SUVs,and will produce 4-door cars soon.
    will porsche make cars like Focus ST/Subaru WRX
    will porshce make fast micro cars that beat Sparkl/Smart
    will porshce make fast MPVs?
    will porshce make fast Pick-Ups?
    will porshce make fast Vans?
    will porshce make fast buses or trucks?
    will porshce be porshce?

it's time for them to slow down and to think about whether they're walking on a path of Wrong Direction which going to rune the porsche!

Re: will Porsche still be Porsche in next 10 years?

I don't know... maybe we just have to accept this and rebrand them Porshce. Then Porshce will not be Porsche. It is spelled differently.

No, on a more serious note... which is the wrong direction? The Cayenne and the Boxster both, more or less, saved Porsche and made it one of the most profitable car companies in the world. I don't really care what kind of vehicles they design and build as long as it has got the Porsche soul and brand values.

I wonder when this creation shows up again... the 1988 Porsche Varrera

Don't forget Porsche used to make tractors, in fact they started making them 2 years after their first sports car.

Lamborghini still make them (tractors) today I think.

Both are still renouned for their sports cars no matter what. The marketing / racing / halo effect makes us all lust for the sports car, rather than the tractor, and keeps the 'brand' alive.

Porsche will always be "Porsche" as long as they keep racing and make cars like the GT3

Quote:
    MBW_UK said:
    Don't forget Porsche used to make tractors, in fact they started making them 2 years after their first sports car.

Lamborghini still make them (tractors) today I think.

Both are still renouned for their sports cars no matter what. The marketing / racing / halo effect makes us all lust for the sports car, rather than the tractor, and keeps the 'brand' alive.

As i know
    Lamborghini tractors and Cars are different companies now.

Re: will Porsche still be Porsche in next 10 years

Don't forget the Porsche Tiger tank.

Porsche is already heading in the wrong direction for me. Just like BMW they are making their cars trendy-looking. Aggression on the roadways is a big deal, "everybody" wants an aggressive-looking car, exaggerated styling focussing on aggressiveness is the result.

Funny how we're all supposed to be driving aggressive-looking YET eco-friendly cars soon.

The old "Form Follows Function" and "less is more" have been dumped in favor of a new hyperbolic Hollywood-movie form of "Excellence."

Car companies have to be market driven. All one has to do is look at GM, Ford & Daimler Chrysler to see what happens when one isn't. Porsche will continue to make the types of vehicles in ten years that we see today. The only difference is that they may be powered by different fuels. The demand for a performance vehicle will not go away.

The best car co's have an excellent person at the top ex. Porsche and Ferrari. As long as that continues they'll stay ahead of the curve.

The bigger Porsche gets the less attractive their cars will be to me.

How many guys here are attracted to the features which drive the development of mass marketed cars?

The more they hope to sell the more "processed cheese" and dumbed-down they will start to look.

Face it, Porsche's original "elegance and sophistication" was the result of them not having to please the mass-market mentality.

Yeah it was elitist and so what? They made some beautiful and understated machines in the golden years of being a small and successful company.

I dunno, maybe you should ask Al Gore, he seems to be quite the visionary these days....

Yes

But define what Porsche will stand for in 10 years and that might be quite different.

Re: Yes

I agree with MMD. I liked Porsche more when I saw fewer of them. I started driving Porsches in 1974 and there were few around. Now they're everywhere in certain hi-Porsche areas. Other manufacturers spread out into other areas, and so, too, is Porsche. Last year, in addition to my Carrera S, I bought a new rototiller,--by BCS Ferrari. Same company!

Dan

Re: Yes

Yes, you may have liked them more when there were fewer of them. But in today's world can a car company remain financially solvent and produce fewer cars, other than becoming a portion of a much larger company?

I am afraid greed might drive Porsche to produce cars that do not quite fit the Porsche prancing horse emblem. There was a time that Porsche was considered an exotic sports car and that's all they made sports cars. Now with Porsche SUV's and Sedans it's hard to predict. No matter what Porsche will contninue building awsome cars. Nevertheless the rapid expansion + tapping into different category of vehicles may soon qualify Porsche as a different kind of car maker and no longer a sports car manufacturer

You would think that since porsche own's a large % of VW/etc they could make their mass-produced models profit through those companies.

Unfortunately their profit margin is higher by exploiting their own marque...

expel the foolish LEADER from Porsche

This is where they're going; the'll be changing the looks of the cars to make them blend in and sell.

Look how they dumbed-down the Cayenne. Looks like a Subaru.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    This is where they're going; the'll be changing the looks of the cars to make them blend in and sell.

That means Cayenne will be seperated from Prosche and become a new brand?

Quote:
    deathnell said:
    expel the foolish LEADER from Porsche

Eh? Which planet are you from? This leader is one of the main reasons there is still a car manufacturer called Porsche.

Quote:
    MMD said:

The new Cayenne looks so much better than the original one (the Touareg still looks better though). IMHO of course.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

The new Cayenne looks so much better than the original one (the Touareg still looks better though). IMHO of course.

The thing I'm trying to put my finger on is what's happening to the looks of this car as Porsche wants to sell more of them.

My model is what happened to Jaguars after Ford got their hands on them in the design department.

It USED to be when you got near a Jaguar (or Cayenne) you were a bit excited because the car's styling exuded a special more refined quality that separated it from all other cars in it's class. It was bolder or more intelligent in the details and overall picture.

Now it seems there's a dummbing down where those _distinguished_ sophisticasted details are gone and the overall impression of the car is that it no longer stands out as more refined, intelligent.

There's GOT to be a philosophy which is well known in the design departments that make the cars MORE appealing to more people and, unfortunately, at the same time less appealing to those few who have a more trained eye.

Look at what they've done here, they've "Subaru-ized" the new Cayenne, the old one had more balls looks-wise. Not necessarily "more aggressive" but more stand-out and distinguished:

The pictures suck (top one exaggerates the nose too much) but when you see the cars in person maybe consider what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

The thing I'm trying to put my finger on is what's happening to the looks of this car as Porsche wants to sell more of them.

My model is what happened to Jaguars after Ford got their hands on them in the design department.

It USED to be when you got near a Jaguar (or Cayenne) you were a bit excited because the car's styling exuded a special more refined quality that separated it from all other cars in it's class. It was bolder or more intelligent in the details and overall picture.

Now it seems there's a dummbing down where those _distinguished_ sophisticasted details are gone and the overall impression of the car is that it no longer stands out as more refined, intelligent.

There's GOT to be a philosophy which is well known in the design departments that make the cars MORE appealing to more people and, unfortunately, at the same time less appealing to those few who have a more trained eye.

Look at what they've done here, they've "Subaru-ized" the new Cayenne, the old one had more balls looks-wise. Not necessarily "more aggressive" but more stand-out and distinguished:

The pictures suck (top one exaggerates the nose too much) but when you see the cars in person maybe consider what I'm trying to say.

I guess they'll do what it takes to stay in business, given the pressure over "global warming" and the theory that human activity is the main factor behind it. Chairman and CEO Dr. Wiedeking had made comments to the effect that the European Union's stringent carbon standards were going to destroy the German luxury auto industry. I guess they must have gotten some compromise with the other EU members as Chancellor Merkel signed off on the agreement.

Given the company's move into SUV's and now a 4-door sedan, I think it's purely a move to survive as an independent company, that is, one not controlled by Detroit, the Japanese, the French, the Koreans, the Chinese or one of their German competitors. They get to use more of their patented technologies on a larger number of cars, thus helping to keep costs in check.

As long as they produce cars like the 911 (and its various derivatives), the Boxster, and the Cayman, I don't see the other models as detracting from the Porsche heritage of engineering and producing superb sports cars.

Jim

Wow. Interesting. Thanks for the clues Jim. I certainly want Porsche to succeed. Thanks for helping me figure out what's going on; it helps my amateur hobbyist speculation( ).

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Porsche will always be "Porsche" as long as they keep racing and make cars like the GT3

I disagree. If porsche continues the name will become more and more mainstream. They'll be like BMW or Merc eventually...just another car company (although one that makes awesome sports cars). Porsches are supposed to be exotic cars. Sooner or later they gonna lose that "Look, a Porsche!" reaction and the brand wont be special anymore. Even now seeing one isnt as special as seeing a 911 was some years ago...

They're selling their soul for more $$$ IMO and thats sad

Market researched to death

The reason Porsche changed the styling on the Cayenne was because people said it was ugly and one of the main reasons they were not going to buy it. So market research tells marketing to tell design/styling to change it and make it "prettier". Hey presto! The new Cayenne! And you can be sure that if potential buyers still say it's ugly that Porsche will hire someone from Audi (please God NOT Walter daSilva...) to design the next version which will have a face like the Porsche tractor grafted onto the Audi Q7.

As to Porsche being exotic - I don't get that. Porsche alway seemed to be practical and usable and also fairly common on the roads, in Europe anyway.

Quote:
    BC911 said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:

I disagree. If porsche continues the name will become more and more mainstream. They'll be like BMW or Merc eventually...just another car company (although one that makes awesome sports cars). Porsches are supposed to be exotic cars. Sooner or later they gonna lose that "Look, a Porsche!" reaction and the brand wont be special anymore. Even now seeing one isnt as special as seeing a 911 was some years ago...

They're selling their soul for more $$$ IMO and thats sad

If Porsche had not diversified, the company would not have survived and now we would all be nostalgic about that great "sports cars - only" company that used to exist.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    If Porsche had not diversified, the company would not have survived and now we would all be nostalgic about that great "sports cars - only" company that used to exist.

Exactly... Business 101, FIRST, you've gotta make enough money to perpetuate and evolve, to remain cutting edge and competitive. If it were not for the success of diversified products, the 911 would be the one to suffer. As a direct result, other larger more profitable companies would build a FAR BETTER mouse-trap, sales would plummet, and the beginning of the end would be at hand. They came damn close to realizing that fate in fact...

Porsche has done well to grow and thrive, and still produce a superior product that is widely desired, even if the price makes it obtainable by few, relatively speaking.

They OWE THAT TO THEIR EMPLOYEES... In my mind, growing a sound business that continues to build and succeed is a business's primary commitment to the people who work for them, and the industries supported underneath their umbrella.

There's no room for romantic nostalgia, if it's not going to equate into growth and success for the company and jobs for the community. In some cases, businesses achieve both goals, and I truly believe that Porsche has done about as good as you can reasonably expect "keeping it real" while at the same time "keeping it growing".

If you miss the old days, jump over to Lotus. Or better yet, just buy an old Porsche! They're great fun, they hold value, and there's plenty good ones out there..

The new Cayenne is ugly and doesn't look like a Porsche.I prefer the old ones.I heard that Ferrari is planning a Suv.That seems fun,thougth I don't know whether it's true.
    Porsche should create a new brand for Suvs.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I dunno, maybe you should ask Al Gore, he seems to be quite the visionary these days....

He did put up money for the Internet way back when.

Porsche will be a car company that is making cars that people will buy, nothing more nothing less. I for one don't like my 997 any less now that Porsche makes a SUV or other cars outside of the 997.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762483 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435376 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257578 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80950 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807661 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM