Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

ML 63 AMG?

I'm thinking of getting my wife one of these bad boys. She has a RRS and isn't too thrilled about the reliability (No big problems, just in and out for rattles, low cooland etc.) She wants something more compact and nimble. So any of you guys who have one or have driven one please share some thoughts and impressions.

JT

Re: ML 63 AMG?

I changed from a RRS S/C to a ML63 as well. The ML is still a large car, similar to the RRS. I had to sent it back for 1 or 2 small glitches but it seems all has been sorted out now. Fuel consumption is also a lot better!

Does the wife really need/deserves 500+HP?
    Question is could you catch her if she decides to bolt!

You may notice from a thread in the Cayenne forum that I ran the ML63 against the new Cayenne Turbo as part of a track test performed with EVO magazine. The full story should be in the next issue (issue no 104). I had expected Porsche's new PDDC system on the Cayenne to make the ML63 feel very ordinary but I was quite surprised to find that it didn't. Within the article we set fastest lap times aruond the usual EVO track, we weighed them, tested their power on a dyno and finally performed a full performance test at a private proving ground.

Oh, and I almost forgot. We drag raced them side by side for approx 1/4 mile.

Ouch, don't stop there! And the winner is?

Regards

Popolou

Good question on the 500 HP issue. My wife probably doesn't need all that power, and she will probably never use it all. This would keep fuel costs down! (kidding) But the things that the ML 63 does offer my wife are all the bells and whistles that she can imagine. She wants someting unique, and althuough there are plenty of ML 500's around, I have yet to see a 63. In our small but well to do town the RR S/C is a dime a dozen. We loved the RR but the warranty will expire soon (we drive a lot), and so it's time for a new car. As for me, I'd strip the badges except for the AMG on the back, and also fit the smaller 19" wheels to get to our farm which is a slightly bumpy dirt road. I Have to admit that getting smoked at the lights by my wife in a 5000 lb SUV might hurt just a lil' bit, but at the same time, it's way hotter. Sorry about the long post!

JT

I have my ML63 for two months naw, no issues whatsoever .In compression to the Cayenne TT I had, this track is much easier to drive and have way better breaks.

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    Good question on the 500 HP issue. My wife probably doesn't need all that power, and she will probably never use it all. This would keep fuel costs down! (kidding) But the things that the ML 63 does offer my wife are all the bells and whistles that she can imagine. She wants someting unique, and althuough there are plenty of ML 500's around, I have yet to see a 63. In our small but well to do town the RR S/C is a dime a dozen. We loved the RR but the warranty will expire soon (we drive a lot), and so it's time for a new car. As for me, I'd strip the badges except for the AMG on the back, and also fit the smaller 19" wheels to get to our farm which is a slightly bumpy dirt road. I Have to admit that getting smoked at the lights by my wife in a 5000 lb SUV might hurt just a lil' bit, but at the same time, it's way hotter. Sorry about the long post!

JT

You should see the school my 12 year old brother goes too.... Three or four ML63 driven by good looking mommies not to mention countless Cayennes.. Perfomance aside the looks dont do too much for me and the wheels i believe dont suit the car that much

I understand LB, each person has thir own opinion on how a car looks.

Slawekl, I'm glad to hear that the brakes are so good. When we bought the RR S/C my wife liked the extra stopping power provided by the standard brembo's, and also the brake feel was something that she really liked. good to hear about the reliability too!

JT

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    ...I'd strip the badges except for the AMG on the back, and also fit the smaller 19" wheels to get to our farm which is a slightly bumpy dirt road.

JT

I don't know if 19's will be possible. You will be cutting it fine. The brakes are HUGE on the ML63

Oh Ohhhhhkay, I guess I can deal with 20"s.... I mean If I really have to! Damn those brakes look tasty!

I gotta say selfishly that I have always wanted an AMG, They may not write he rule book on cornering prowess (That;s what the P-car is for) but my, my those engines. When we go to our ranch/ farm in Nevada we travel on some really long roads where you don't see anyone for hours. Where better to try out the 6.3's muscle?

JT

AMG's are great cars, just terrible on the resale side though

True, but you only live once, and we drive all of our cars into the ground. When we reach the mileage limit on the warranty (usually 50 000 mi.), we just trade the car in and use it to pay for a nice chunk of the next one. I know it doesn't make the most sense, but I feel that we really get the most out of our cars.

JT

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    True, but you only live once, and we drive all of our cars into the ground. When we reach the mileage limit on the warranty (usually 50 000 mi.), we just trade the car in and use it to pay for a nice chunk of the next one. I know it doesn't make the most sense, but I feel that we really get the most out of our cars.

JT

True, was just warning you seeing that you were a first time AMG owner

I got owned with my SL's, but great cars!

how about the new X5 4.8?

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    Oh Ohhhhhkay, I guess I can deal with 20"s.... I mean If I really have to! Damn those brakes look tasty!

I gotta say selfishly that I have always wanted an AMG, They may not write he rule book on cornering prowess (That;s what the P-car is for) but my, my those engines. When we go to our ranch/ farm in Nevada we travel on some really long roads where you don't see anyone for hours. Where better to try out the 6.3's muscle?

JT

19inch fit. In fact it is the standard equipment in Australia is 19inch and not the 20's like you guys. I am also considering the ML63, and have made a booking for a test drive in a couple of weeks. So far I am not very impressed with the dash material of the car I saw at the motor show recently.

Really? is the dash all plasticky? Let me know what you think of the test drive if you have a chance.

I was also thinking of the X5, but my wife said that she can't see herself in a BMW.

Our dealer in Santa Barbara hasn't had an ml 63 in stock yet, and they suggested that we buy without seeing or driving the car. Yeah right! Time to find a new dealer!

JT

P.S. any good dealers in the LA area?

JT

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    1978fj40 said:

JT

19inch fit. In fact it is the standard equipment in Australia is 19inch and not the 20's like you guys. I am also considering the ML63, and have made a booking for a test drive in a couple of weeks. So far I am not very impressed with the dash material of the car I saw at the motor show recently.

Like I said, the ML's interior sucks. But the perfomance is awesome!

Even my Touareg has a nicer interior IMO.

Quote:
    Popolou said:
    Ouch, don't stop there! And the winner is?

Regards

Popolou

Sorry, I cannot tell you otherwise I would spoil the article. I have just received the details of the acceleration times we tested and they really are stunning. I am sure you will enjoy the article when you read it.

Of course, just a laugh naturally.

Picked up the M3 edition and will be eagerly awaiting the review on the beasts.

Regards

Popolou

I'm waiting impatiently for the postman every day for my copy! Can't wait to see it.

Mike S, I'm sorta sad about the interior not being so good, because it is obviously the most important feature for my wife. Who knows though, mabey she'll like it? .... And also, I truly enjoy reading about your car adventures. I'll tell you for sure that the automobile limit around our house is 4 cars (Not bad really) as per wife law!

JT

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    I'm waiting impatiently for the postman every day for my copy! Can't wait to see it.

Mike S, I'm sorta sad about the interior not being so good, because it is obviously the most important feature for my wife. Who knows though, mabey she'll like it? .... And also, I truly enjoy reading about your car adventures. I'll tell you for sure that the automobile limit around our house is 4 cars (Not bad really) as per wife law!

JT

I'll take a pic of the interior for you later today. You'll be in for a suprise!

Have you seen this video I made?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC6_lYFppm0

That's funny about the video, because I just watched it now. 3 hours and 45 minutes ago, I was in Las Vegas at my other office, now I'm in Los Angeles sitting on my couch. God I love my Porsche. Anyway, that video is great. I showed it to my wife and she liked how it sounded.... but not as much as me.

I appreciate you taking the time to snap a picture.

JT

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    1978fj40 said:

JT

I agree that the VW has better interior! I never doubted that the interior would be bad, and in fact after your comment I didn't go there with big expectation. But boy, when I sat in it I was still very dissapointed! The dash material reminded me of E-class of 1990.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    1978fj40 said:

JT

I agree that the VW has better interior! I never doubted that the interior would be bad, and in fact after your comment I didn't go there with big expectation. But boy, when I sat in it I was still very dissapointed! The dash material reminded me of E-class of 1990.

Definately! For a 190k car I would expect them to use leather on the dash!

Aren't they made in the US plant? MB's and BMW's US plants are infamous for their lack of quality.

(but VW's Mexican plant is even worse! )

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Aren't they made in the US plant? MB's and BMW's US plants are infamous for their lack of quality.

(but VW's Mexican plant is even worse! )

You're right about the Mexican VWs. My cousin could not believe the difference between the rental Golf he got here and the one he has back in Toronto.
    Oddly enough, the highest quality cars ever were produced in Sarajevo (the Golf 2). Those were just indestructible and, compared to their German counterparts, had less rattles and issues.

As for the ML63, the guy who owns a parking spot in our garage has a black one - the plasticky interior comments are right on target .

I will see how I go with my test drive next week, maybe the performance will outweigh my disapproval of the interior plastic. My BMW dealer told me something very interesting though - he was at a BMW conference and they were told that the high performance version of the X5 is going to have a quad turbo 4.8 V8! May just have to wait for that. Anyone else heard this?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    I will see how I go with my test drive next week, maybe the performance will outweigh my disapproval of the interior plastic. My BMW dealer told me something very interesting though - he was at a BMW conference and they were told that the high performance version of the X5 is going to have a quad turbo 4.8 V8! May just have to wait for that. Anyone else heard this?

Damn, if that is true... SIGN ME UP

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

Damn, if that is true... SIGN ME UP

You really do like to support your government with car taxes, don't you?

As for the quad turbo X5:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM