Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My car's an aggressive reptile, see?

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    About the M3: it's unfortunate its main market appears to be chavs, drug dealers, and the richer half of the "Fast 'n' Furious" crowd. I miss the elegant and racy E36 M3.
    The performance is great for the price, though. I just hope the brakes will cope.

Spot on Groom.

Re: M3 for the socially deprived?

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Although I am serial Porsche owner and not a drug-dealing hooligan, I like the new M3 and would be happy to drive it as a family/business car.

But fortunately I live in small town Germany near the Ring - not in wild Londonistan where some feel they must distinguish themselves with a Porker or be branded as socially and culturally deprived

AUM, you say you live in a small town. Precisely my point. Your perception of this otherwise good car has not been affected by the people that buy them in any major city.

It's not just London which has this phenomenon. Go to any other major metropolis and you will see the same thing. Any self-respecting drug dealer, gangsta rapper, chav or other breed of hooligan simply has to buy a M3 at some stage in their lives.

Your beloved M3 has a very different place in society in other parts of the world.

To be honest I kind of agree with you about the rep in the UK on the M3... Which is a shame as I have one on order, test driving an RS4 next week though so there is hope for m e yet!!!!

However I dont really care what people think I just want a car which I will enjoy...

The boxster I currently drive has a rep as being either a poor mans porsche or a hair dressers car!!!!! What do I care, I know every sunday morning I'm driving the finest mid engine sports car Pounds50k will buy!!!!!

But my main point for posting is that you mention the M3's negative image yet you drive a 911, which as far as I'm aware does not have a great reputation... Of course us keen drivers know its a great car and love it but Joe public generally regards the porker brand with much hatred and contempt!!!!!

Most of this comes from people who cannot afford their own porker but the point is its still there...

Perhaps this is worse for BMW... Not only hated by those who cannot atain one, but also hated by everyone who has surpassed the brand

I think the new M3 will be a very good car as per the existing one and to be honest it wont be in the hands of the scumbags for a long time.. They usually end up with them in a few years when they have lost loads on the resale

As much as I would like NOT to agree that BMWs attract the wrong people, I kinda have to agree. But fortunately the M3s are so expensive in Norway that the drugdealers are still drivning E36 M3s

A couple of videos from the rehersal in Geneva, notice the different wheels, and listen to the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4B8FXPoaFk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNpUNNaPRb8

There are some speculations on other boards that the car in the video is a production M3 that is being shown behind closed doors since it is wearing, what is assumed to be, the standard 18" wheels.

I'm amazed by how much stereotyping goes on simply by the car one drives.

If I followed the thought process, crime can almost be eliminated in the UK by just locking up anyone who even thinks about buying a M3.

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    To be honest I kind of agree with you about the rep in the UK on the M3... Which is a shame as I have one on order, test driving an RS4 next week though so there is hope for m e yet!!!!

However I dont really care what people think I just want a car which I will enjoy...

The boxster I currently drive has a rep as being either a poor mans porsche or a hair dressers car!!!!! What do I care, I know every sunday morning I'm driving the finest mid engine sports car Pounds50k will buy!!!!!

But my main point for posting is that you mention the M3's negative image yet you drive a 911, which as far as I'm aware does not have a great reputation... Of course us keen drivers know its a great car and love it but Joe public generally regards the porker brand with much hatred and contempt!!!!!

Most of this comes from people who cannot afford their own porker but the point is its still there...

Perhaps this is worse for BMW... Not only hated by those who cannot atain one, but also hated by everyone who has surpassed the brand

I think the new M3 will be a very good car as per the existing one and to be honest it wont be in the hands of the scumbags for a long time.. They usually end up with them in a few years when they have lost loads on the resale

Rich, you make some very valid points

It's a fine distinction to make BUT I don't care what other people ACTUALLY think about me. I only care about what I MYSELF think other people think about me. It's not a hollow distinction either (as it might appear at first glance).

Regarding your 987S, it's an awesome car. Who on earth told you it's a hairdresser's car??? As far as I am concerned, in London, amongst the people I mix with, the Boxster is well respected as a driver's car. I certainly think that, in its earlier days, some people instantly dismissed it as a poor man's 911 BUT the Boxster won over those doubters who were capable of being won over. It is a superb car.

If you are looking for a hairdresser's car, think Suzuki Vitara, Toyota RAV4 or even Merc SLK.

Yes, I drive a 911 but my experience of how people ACTUALLY react to it on the road is very positive. I get plenty of compliments. Other drivers have never been aggressive towards me and are always patient when I'm going dead slow over speed bumps.

I hear from Boxster drivers that there is more hostility towards them. Ask Alex (UK). He said he once drove a Boxster for just 1 day and faced quite a bit of hostility from others but the moment he stepped back into his 911, everything reverted back to normal.

In truth, I think the hostility against the 911 is exaggerated. People assume there might be hostility but its much less than one might assume. People just like to think there is hostility.

I don't think the Porsche brand is hated at all. People in London AFAIK consider it with some degree of respect.

I honestly think BMWs (and more particularly BMW drivers) are far more hated. They bring it upon themselves from the way they drive.

I should know - I drove a BMW for 7 years in London. People hated me!

IMHO you are nearly right when you say BMW is hated by people who have surpassed the brand. I used to love BMWs before Bangle IMO spoilt them. I fell out of love with the brand and its styling. I don't actively hate BMW though. I just respect them without loving them. However, I don't care much for BMW drivers. I do hate the way they so often drive. I see how they drive and I remember how driving a BMW brought that out in me. I don't like what driving a BMW does to one IMHO.

I honestly think the new M3 will be a superb car. Like I said before, it's the hooligans that turn me off it. I don't share your optimism though - you would be surprised just how many hooligans in London drive expensive new fully-loaded M3 convertibles.

Well said ... For a moment I feel very bad owing two M3 (from new), a 1996 E36 and a 2005 E46 Competition (called CS in UK). Key thing for the image (and resale) is keeping the car in its original condition.
    That being said I am skeptical about the new M3 (looks too much tuning to my eyes)

My two babies
    1996 M3 E36 petrol mica/light grey 172,OOO Kms

2005 M3 E46CS Lé Mans Blue/Light grey 27,000kms

... and I can assure you that I am not a hooligan

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    Although I am serial Porsche owner and not a drug-dealing hooligan, I like the new M3 and would be happy to drive it as a family/business car.

But fortunately I live in small town Germany near the Ring - not in wild Londonistan where some feel they must distinguish themselves with a Porker or be branded as socially and culturally deprived

AUM, you say you live in a small town. Precisely my point. Your perception of this otherwise good car has not been affected by the people that buy them in any major city.

It's not just London which has this phenomenon. Go to any other major metropolis and you will see the same thing. Any self-respecting drug dealer, gangsta rapper, chav or other breed of hooligan simply has to buy a M3 at some stage in their lives.

Your beloved M3 has a very different place in society in other parts of the world.

I work at the weekends in Berlin, Amsterdam, Vienna, London, Köln and other major cities. Sometimes I drive a Porsche and sometimes an M3.I have no problems with either car.

Quote:
    dg911 said:
    ... and I can assure you that I am not a hooligan

Congrats on your 2 M3s. Did I say that EVERY SINGLE M3 is driven by a hooligan? Clearly that's not the case but there are an awful lot of them...

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

I work at the weekends in Berlin, Amsterdam, Vienna, London, Köln and other major cities. Sometimes I drive a Porsche and sometimes an M3.I have no problems with either car.

With all due respect, I don't believe I can get through to you. The fact that you spend some weekends in other cities is not the point. I visit other cities for the weekend too - does that mean that I know how those cities really tick? I think not. I am a mere visitor who briefly samples those places. Whether I could see the phenomenon I have been describing would largely just be down to chance.

If you LIVED for any meaningful duration of time in the various cities you mentioned, seeing for yourself in more detail the kind of lowlife that exist in each one of those cities, then my point would be self-evident to you.

You are welcome to harbour whatever view you wish. That is entirely your right but you really are deluding yourself if you fail to see my point regarding the sheer number of 'undesirables' who drive M3s.

I have lived in London, LA, SF and many major cities. Your obsession with what you imagine people think about you is neurotic and has nothing to do with sports car performance.

My apologies if that sounds too harsh. But you really should get out of London more and enjoy your car in its natural environment. Sports cars are for driving hard, not impressing city socialites.

The Ring season has started and you will never know what you are your car are capable of until you spend a few weekends there testing yourself in Walter's tyre tracks. Come over and join the gang

Quote:
    dg911 said:
    2005 M3 E46CS Lé Mans Blue/Light grey 27,000kms

btw, thats not LeMans Blue, its actually Interlagos Blue

No this is Le Mans Blue/light grey...individual order for paint and leather
    On pictures Le Mans and Interlagos blue are similar. In real life Interlagos has a purple tone that I personnaly dislike

I am glad even you realised that calling me neurotic was inappropriate. I certainly am not

Of course these cars are not for impressing socialites in the city. I get most pleasure out of my car when I am driving it on twisty roads not when I am cruising at night in the city.

Nonetheless, I don't live in a vacuum completely oblivious to what others might think of me if I drive a particular marque or model. That's all I've been saying...

I saw this car in the flesh yesterday at the motor show.
    Except for the bonnet I really liked it. I always liked 3 coupes (had a 330ci), and this is not exception.
    If I had to have one car, that would be the one (or even the 335i, which I find really nice too).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM