Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

C'mon tell us what you really think, Peter

http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml#Rant

Comments?

Re: C'mon tell us what you really think, Peter

Typical rantings of the "blogosphere"

This discussion is sooo 5 years ago. Someone is NOW lamenting the pointlessness / not-a-sportscar nature of the cayenne...?! Mr. self important blogger might as well just attack all SUVs in general...

Also:

Shouldn't critics of Porsche be more concerned with their shameless marketing/profit driven products and release timing methods?

* The constant delays of new technology Direct Injection, DSG, etc

(When was this technology promised?!?!)

* The "watering down" of so called pure models (Ie the New 997 GT3 - even the RS to some degree - (slower on Nurburgring/etc than 996 models) in an effort to attrach more poseur customers who want the badge and none of the harsh ride (read: purity) that comes with it.

(They just want to sell GT3s to all the people who traded 996 GT3s in for turbos after less than 1000km because it was too hardcore.)

* The unacceptable behaviour of dealers shafting their best customers' orders in order to make a profit by flipping in-demand cars for over-msrp...

(Countless stories of dealers rescinding deposit contracts in order to overspec GT3 RS's because they realized it was a hot commodity and wanted to make large profits...)

In general not a good state of things from an enthusiats perspective.

From an accountant's perspective, the company is very healthy indeed.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Shouldn't critics of Porsche be more concerned with their shameless marketing/profit driven products and release timing methods?

* The constant delays of new technology Direct Injection, DSG, etc

(When was this technology promised?!?!)

I prefer companies that delay a product in order to make it right, than companies that rush out a half-baked product in order to make the deadline.

I'm glad Porsche has chosen not to repeat the mistake of the first-gen PCCB.

Porsche never makes mistakes with new models and options because the customers are the beta testers ...and always have been. When PDK 1.0 comes out, get ready for the crying towel.

As for the Cayenne, It has to be the shortest heaviest passenger vehicle made. It is even heavier than a 17 foot long Cadillac limosuine. For that achievement Porsche should get a special award.

Well, at least, he says a lot of true things: Cayenne is an ineptia in Porsche history, there's no doubt about it. For the rest, Porsches have always been expensive, and the options list as long as a day without bread (french translation!).
    I'm also disappointed by the fact that the brand I love can't offer any solution to gas consumption yet. I'd be so proud to drive a Porsche that would drink as litle gas as a Lotus.

His theme sounds familiar.

I am glad I am not the only one who perceives Porsche as a company that is losing it soul through exploitation of the brand. Make no mistake. It is happening and as he indicated, once it is lost it is almost impossible to get back.

I'm slowly understanding what nberry has been babbling about all these years...

Btw, what do you think about Ferrari's merchandising techniques nberry? At least their core business is rather unaffected by the muppetry.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Btw, what do you think about Ferrari's merchandising techniques nberry? At least their core business is rather unaffected by the muppetry.

Merchandising isn't an issue so long as they don't produce 25 variations of its models and mass produce them. Selling trinkets to people who covet the car does not dilute the brand. Flooding the market with a number of look alike cars does.

H,mm
    yes i think Porsche are losing the plot , 997TT fantastic car ( nothing to really touch it at the Mo ) but i think everyone can see what road they going down , Poor customer service ( because they know they can sell the cars ) depreciation not a word spoken until the last few years now wham , they now they own Audi and Lambo , they were going to reign back supply of Turbo's and GT3 models to help prices in 06/07 but what's happening yep they are increasing supply because of GREED , so no longer will the cars be a steady loser they will become the same as the rest , Porsche buy Audi is this because they want the PDK patent from Audi ! And the V8 to put in yet another new model? And of course to use the Audi prod line to make yet more Porka's ! i think the hill has been reached and its a long way down still 997TT great car but i think it will be my last from the Porsche,Audi,Volkswagon,Lambo Group ( and whoever they buy next LOL ) Trouble is of course what do you buy then ! Italian total none every day drive?

I think it bye bye Porsche as we have known it and welcome to a mass producer of every day fast cars that are not what they used to be Oh well i think we should all enjoy them while we can .

Quote:
    Tboner said:
    H,mm
    yes i think Porsche are losing the plot , 997TT fantastic car ( nothing to really touch it at the Mo ) but i think everyone can see what road they going down , Poor customer service ( because they know they can sell the cars ) depreciation not a word spoken until the last few years now wham , they now they own Audi and Lambo , they were going to reign back supply of Turbo's and GT3 models to help prices in 06/07 but what's happening yep they are increasing supply because of GREED , so no longer will the cars be a steady loser they will become the same as the rest , Porsche buy Audi is this because they want the PDK patent from Audi ! And the V8 to put in yet another new model? And of course to use the Audi prod line to make yet more Porka's ! i think the hill has been reached and its a long way down still 997TT great car but i think it will be my last from the Porsche,Audi,Volkswagon,Lambo Group ( and whoever they buy next LOL ) Trouble is of course what do you buy then ! Italian total none every day drive?

I think it bye bye Porsche as we have known it and welcome to a mass producer of every day fast cars that are not what they used to be Oh well i think we should all enjoy them while we can .

Apparently this month issue of Consumer Reports (I have not read it) has indicated that though the 911 is a great car they would not recommend its purchase because of reliability problems. This is clearly a sign of over production. Quality suffers.

BTW, for our European friends Consumer Reports is an independent testing organization which tests and reports on an array of products including cars. They do not accept any advertising from product manufacturers. Thus, they are considered objective and unbiased in their recommendations.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    This is clearly a sign of over production. Quality suffers.

There are no statistics that back that statement up. Overproduction and decreases in quality only occur during a rapid increase in sales and the company's quality control measures can't keep. Simply producing a large number of cars doesn't affect quality (Toyota, Lexus).

Consumer Reports is notorious for using "old data" from earlier version of a particular model and applying it to later versions that have much better reliability.

"Overproduction"? What does that actually mean?

It can't just mean production in vast numbers. If you can cope with production in vast numbers (e.g. Lexus or Toyota) then clearly that doesn't amount to "overproduction".

It must surely mean production in numbers which is greater than the manufacturer can cope with (i.e. the manufacturer can't maintain the appropriate level of quality).

So saying quality suffers when something is "overproduced" is simply tautologous. "Overproduction" by definition involves a fall in quality.

Long story short, more BS from our resident troll

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    This is clearly a sign of over production. Quality suffers.

There are no statistics that back that statement up. Overproduction and decreases in quality only occur during a rapid increase in sales and the company's quality control measures can't keep. Simply producing a large number of cars doesn't affect quality (Toyota, Lexus).

Porsche is a small car company that has grown from producing cars in the 20,00 range to almost 100,000 cars in a span of eight years. Additionally, many of the models that make up the 100,000 share parts. For an example, the Boxster, Cayman and 911 share a good number of parts (the stated goal for Boxster and 911 is 60%). With part sharing in an expanding company comes complacency in assembly and compromises in functionality. All of which lead to reliability issues.

Don't get me started on reliability issues. Porsche has a much better track record on building reliable cars than Italian marque cars such as your Ferrari for one.

Does that mean that the more you pay for a car the less reliable it is?

Reliability is fine, but there have been numerous reports of bad paint and other quality control issues with the 997 generation.

"Numerous reports"? Please document.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Don't get me started on reliability issues. Porsche has a much better track record on building reliable cars than Italian marque cars such as your Ferrari for one.

Does that mean that the more you pay for a car the less reliable it is?

LOL, that's so true. One of the reasons that I went for the 997Turbo instead of a Ferrari or DB9 was the reliability.

One of my friend had a 360, he only drives it in the summer and one year the first day he went out the ECU went AWOL, the car stayed in the shop for 4 months waiting for parts, then the rain season starts and he refused to drive the Ferrari in the rain stating the car is undrivable in the wet. So that year he drove a total of 30 mins out of 365 days.

He was pissed and while he was waiting for Ferrari to send over the ECU he ordered and took delivery of a 996Turbo and drive it year round. The Ferrari still sits in his garage but he hasn't touch it since. The battery is long dead and the tires are flat, he was gonna trade it in for something else but he was afraid the car is gonna die again on its way to be traded.

He can afford to have a 200k car sit and rot in his garage but he can't afford to be seen stranded on the side of the road in a Ferrari again.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml#Rant

Comments?

He overstated the theory of mainstream car manufacturing (SUV's, 4-door family sedans) "interfering" with sports car manufacturing. He doesn't seem to want to recognize that Porsche was nearly bankrupt before Wiedeking took the helm and that the Boxster and Cayenne allow us to criticize Porsche at all, since Porsche wouldn't exist today if it weren't for the Boxster and Cayenne.

Not that I am enamored with W-squared and his strategy building vanilla luxo-sporty cars. The Boxster (as the wife-mobile) and Cayenne-and next Panamera (as the family haulers) are NOT incompatible in Porsche's lineup with the 911 in all its variations (Carrera, race versions, turbo's) as the all-around best sports car in the world. What disappoints me is Porsche's resting on its laurels with the 911, marketing the car for the non-"enthusiast," and gradually lagging behind the competition in performance.

BUT I believe DeLorenzo is wrong that Porsche's strategy will "fail" in economic terms. They will continue to be a successful (profitable) car manufacturer, even if they are no longer a class-leading sports car manufacturer....

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    "Numerous reports"? Please document.

Just look at the 997 Board

Oh sorry, I must be looking at the wrong 997 board. The one I have followed for many months is overwhelmingly pleased with the 997...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

Merchandising isn't an issue so long as they don't produce 25 variations of its models and mass produce them. Selling trinkets to people who covet the car does not dilute the brand. Flooding the market with a number of look alike cars does.

Ferrari is doing something worse. Ferrari is making disgusting or bland looking cars. That's why their design chief was fired. They can get away with spitting in their customers' faces because of their low volume.

David

So true. I've read of "numerous" reports of Ferraris catching on fire. Just read the Ferrari board. I've read "numerous" reports of less serious Ferrari quality problems. In fact I believe Nick himself found a quality problem with his beloved jewel. Something about panels not lining up or something like that. To further spit in their customers' faces, Ferrari charges exorbinant (much more than Porsche) to fix their problems!

David

I disagree. Porsche is the most successful car company in the world and it hasn't lost its soul. It still makes cars like the 997, GT3, GT3RS, etc. Something for everyone. When it stops making such cars and only produces the Cayenne and Panamerica, then let's talk about Porsche losing its soul. Until then, let's talk about what a brilliant car company Porsche is.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    I disagree. Porsche is the most successful car company in the world and it hasn't lost its soul. It still makes cars like the 997, GT3, GT3RS, etc. Something for everyone. When it stops making such cars and only produces the Cayenne and Panamerica, then let's talk about Porsche losing its soul. Until then, let's talk about what a brilliant car company Porsche is.

David

Here ,i can identify myself with! If porsche hadn't had Mr
    .Wiedeking with his clear vision to need more models in order to make more profits and let the company stay independant, we probably would have lost "our" company to a chinese, korean or japanese manufacturer. Now the cayenne and hopefully panamera , are providing black results and make it possible to invest in research to develop new goodies for us 911-lovers!

Quote:
    DavidSF said:

David

Be advised that Porsche's current excellent finance situation is more attributed to excellent currency hedging that was set up years ago and recently reached maturity.

Indeed they do sell alot of great cars and make excellent profit, but their so called 1 billion euro profit is not just from their cars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690926 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410099 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775056 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM