Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How about no mods?

Lately I've been thinking I'll leave mine completely stock, (unless the exhaust note drives me crazy). What do y'all think?

Re: How about no mods?

I think this car totally stock would still be fantastic.

The stock exhaust sounds great in my opinion!

Just come to NJ and drive my car already!

A few of us are going for a ride on Saturday morning...suck it up and cross the GW!

There's at least two schools (pro- and anti-mod).

I'm in the school which would never buy a pre-owned car that has been modded. Total turn off for me.

It would seem to suggest the previous owner has also messed with stuff I can't see; that includes beating the sheet out of the car on a routine basis.

Just my us$.02. Sorry.

Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:
    Lately I've been thinking I'll leave mine completely stock, (unless the exhaust note drives me crazy). What do y'all think?

What will drive you crazy is that your C4S sounds better and I bet you will change the exhaust

I do agree with MMD...I am very wary of modded cars upon resale as I am always fearful that the car was driven very hard and possibly not professionally modded, etc.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    There's at least two schools (pro- and anti-mod).

I'm in the school which would never buy a pre-owned car that has been modded. Total turn off for me.

It would seem to suggest the previous owner has also messed with stuff I can't see; that includes beating the sheet out of the car on a routine basis.

Just my us$.02. Sorry.

I'm with you...as much as I'd like to boost my horse power and torque theres something about stock that I'm reistant to changing. I wish the s or x-50 were retrofitable at the dealer(with the blessing of porsche north america). If it were I would treat myself somewhere down the road and not even bat an eye. Although it might sound crazy the alternative is not as comforting. I want my car to last a long time and porsche isn't inclined to endorse half thought through mods. But an extra 70 horsepower would make for an excellent birthday gift...in 2008. I'm still undecided.

I feel bad for voicing a slightly paranoid anti-mod prejudice. If I KNEW the owner I'd feel better buying used contemporary cars with major mods.

But there's also the disappointment I have felt on a few occasions when seeing a really nice older 911 for sale and then discovering the numbers don't match because some dude in the ownership history but a bigger engine in it and modified the suspension... . An original car is sooo much more appealing; even if you will have to tear it apart and rebuild.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I feel bad for voicing a slightly paranoid anti-mod prejudice. If I KNEW the owner I'd feel better buying used contemporary cars with major mods.

But there's also the disappointment I have felt on a few occasions when seeing a really nice older 911 for sale and then discovering the numbers don't match because some dude in the ownership history but a bigger engine in it and modified the suspension... . An original car is sooo much more appealing; even if you will have to tear it apart and rebuild.

Exactly! And that's why the powerkit is worth it. You retain your warranty and the car remains pristine.

I agree with Crash. You pay for it up front but there will be no "issues" regarding warranty down the line. My car is still 2 months out and I really don't know what I'll do. Comming from a 997S (still for sale by the way) with sport exhaust it will be very tempting to do the exhaust thing. As far as flashing the chip goes I am waiting to really find out if this type of mod. can be detected? The warranty is a priority for me. I agree with MMD regarding the resale factor. Mods are a big no no in that dept. I know first hand because the first question I get about my sport exhaust and short shifter is: Is that an aftermarket part and will it effect my warranty? I always put OEM next to those options when I advertise it. Cheers.

Chris,

as good as the TT is stock, it is just more complete after exhaust and an ECU. If the journalists drove my car the way it is now, they would be screaming for it like little girls at a Timberlake concert

If it does not come from the factory, I'm not interested. But anything from Exclusive is fair game.

The only exception for the time being is getting an aftermarket exhaust on the TT (stock is too quiet and too unsightly), but this is likely to change when they release the PSE.

I'm in the same boat (expecting delivery in June for May build from Roslyn Porsche). My last turbo was a bone stock stripper 6 speed 03 X50 that was leased. This time I am buying the car. I don't want to void the warranty, but it seems as if a professional EVO installer (say RPM Racing in Hicksville, NY) could put in a Stage 4 and I could still drive it daily. I'll drive it for probably 5K-10K and then make a decision. Bottom line is that the car IS easily modded for more horsepower and less money by going aftermarket. My X50 option was about $18K for 30 horsepower whereas the EVO Stage 4 gives something like 130 horsepower increase for about $12K plus approx. $1100 in installation costs (according to RPM Racing). The issue for me isn't resale or even the warranty for that matter, but reliability of the product. Will EVO/RPM Racing stand behind the modifications ? That is the key issue and candidly speaking, the jury is still out ....

I plan on keeping my car for a long time. I don't worry about resale. I will wait for awhile to see how the new cars hold up in general, see if any warrantable issues arise. If none do, then I will probably do the usual (ECU and exhaust) stuff to start, maybe do a little more if I please. After all, the car is for me.

Even a stock turbo kicks ass. And we're privileged to even own one.

Stock all the way. I never mess with my cars.

eclou,

What are your mods ? I assume its a 6 speed ?

GIAC ecu and AWE exhaust. I also put on some PES/Champion wheels that have reduced more than 25 lbs of rotating weight over the stock wheels

I would have agreed with you but the only thing a powerkit may do on resale is make your car slightly more appealing. The value is almost completely lost. I spent nearly $18k dollars on a Cayenne powerkit and after 18 months its added value is negligable according to the dealer. To be fair he did say that when I bought it.

I would agree with most who say that after market power moded cars are not very saleable and best avoided unless you know the owner.
    Suggest that anyone sells mods seperately and puts car back to OEM prior to sale. Likely to get more money back that way anyway. IMO

I think the exhaust and GIAC ECU are reasonable aftermarket upgrades, I'm considering this as well as lowering. If your dealer does these then at least you have them on your side should any warranty issues arrise. If your dealer isn't friendly then the US tuners (EVO, IA, Sharkwerks, Promotive to name a few) have very good reputations. I haven't seen any issues with the tuning yet for manual. EVO's Todd did find what was causing the Tip problems and posted his findings on the other Turbo forum for all to use...EVO is a class act as are most of the folks over there.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75675

Mike

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    If it does not come from the factory, I'm not interested. But anything from Exclusive is fair game.

The only exception for the time being is getting an aftermarket exhaust on the TT (stock is too quiet and too unsightly), but this is likely to change when they release the PSE.

why would they do a PSE now, there wasnt on the 996 TT was there?

I still don't undertsand why people still use external mods, Last week on Top Gear (UK) they featured an SL500 Brabus with over 650hp, when it came to handling the car was all over the place. Before a manufacturer releases a car, it goes through vigorous tests based on the power and chassis. If you add more power that has not been tested on the chassis, your car will end up a complete mess.
    I've never liked anything that does not come from the manufacturer it always ends up useless

LoL - when I read the thread title I thought you would propose to ban the moderators from this board

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    I'm in the same boat (expecting delivery in June for May build from Roslyn Porsche). My last turbo was a bone stock stripper 6 speed 03 X50 that was leased. This time I am buying the car. I don't want to void the warranty, but it seems as if a professional EVO installer (say RPM Racing in Hicksville, NY) could put in a Stage 4 and I could still drive it daily. I'll drive it for probably 5K-10K and then make a decision. Bottom line is that the car IS easily modded for more horsepower and less money by going aftermarket. My X50 option was about $18K for 30 horsepower whereas the EVO Stage 4 gives something like 130 horsepower increase for about $12K plus approx. $1100 in installation costs (according to RPM Racing). The issue for me isn't resale or even the warranty for that matter, but reliability of the product. Will EVO/RPM Racing stand behind the modifications ? That is the key issue and candidly speaking, the jury is still out ....

I'm also getting mine from roslyn porsche (fred s sales guy). I'm leasing mine thru my practice for tax reasons. I have also dealt with rpm in the past, good guys, but not sure I would have them do major work on a 130k car, not that their work is shabby, it's just the car is so damn expensive. I also highly doubt they, or any tuner, would stand behind their work if something really catastrophic happened. I believe the 997tt engine runs around 65k to replace.
    Stock +/- exhaust for me

Are you still seriously considering the 993TT instead?

That would definitely negate your need to decide whether to "mod" your 997TT or not.

im in the group thats going to leave well enough alone for about the same reasons as others have stated...id never buy any high dollar used car that was modified, and everything in my relm is always potentially for sale so i wouldnt want to close any doors , leaves the things open for future buyers to fulfill their dream....guess i might feel different if i was capable of driving the car at its considerable limits, which im not...it would be an understatement to explain the degree of pissed off my 50% co-owner / wife and zero intrest car person would be if a 20k or more warranty issue arose as a result of my folly....the exhaust has become a non-event to me as my best enjoyment of the tt is longer blu road drives and loud isnt a big deal in these situations

in getting gas yesterday i was reminded just how special this car is as several 20 somethings almost fell out the window of their car to see who could give me the first thumbs up

Both.....

Now that would be nice...if you ended up getting the 993TT and the 997TT.

I'm in the same boat, I do not consider at all to modify my TT. I'm totally pleased with it in everyway. The day I won't be anymore (do not see that hapenning anytime soon) it will be time to change.

C4S Surgeon,

I ordered mine through Tony C. My last turbo sounded fairly nasty (in a good way) with the X50 package. If the new one needs something to sound nasty, I must do it, regardless of the potential of voiding any warranties. The only issue will be what can be done safely. So, who will do any mods for you (ie. an exhaust ) ? If not RPM, then whom would you recommend in our area (I'm in Brookville) assuming you would not have the mods installed by Roslyn Porsche - I think a realistic assumption) ?

I do my own, I'm in glenhead, we'll do 'em together!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690709 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409914 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256105 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235347 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774865 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM