Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Latest Road And Track - facelift due in late 09

According to the latest Road & Track the direct injection and the facelift are not due until the end of '09. This seems much later than what we have been discussing around here! I thought that it may be in later 07 as an 08 model but they make it sound more like a '10 model in late calender year '09. OK by me as I am not eager to take more of a depreciation hit!

Re: Latest Road And Track - facelift due in late 09

Most of the speculation that I've seen is for MY09 with deliveries in 08. Only a litle over a year away!

I have read some news on WCF.

The Face lift will release on Sep 07 as a 08 model.

All speculation, american magazines are usually the least reliable.

Re: Latest Road And Track - facelift due in late 0

I wonder why we're still debating this after Christophorus wrote it was coming this Fall.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I wonder why we're still debating this after Christophorus wrote it was coming this Fall.

I didn't see this in Christophorus.

Not in Feb / Mar Issue

I received my Feb / Mar issue and don't see anything realted. Perhaps its buried between the articles on 'Todays Spa' (no, not THAT Spa) and 'Denim Deluxe.' OTOH, if the title of the article included the word 'Facelift', I'm sure I would have missed it...

PCA Club magazine PANORAMA reports......

PANORAMA MAGAZINE February 2007 issue, page 63:

Porsche has released some advanced information on 2008 models that may get us all primed for purchase. For starters, the 911 will get direct injection as well as an optional dual-clutch for the manual transmission. The dual-clutch transmission allows for shifts without the need to lift power. The new injection, called DFI, is expected to increase mileage by ten percent. The Carrera S gets a horsepower boost to 370 bhp, up from 355. Designwise, the front end will receive a facelift via a larger intake, and the rear will feature a revised lighting system.

I thought the most interesting part was the "all new block." I wondered if true, would they add a bearing to eliminate the RMS problem.

Ooops my bad, it was Panorama, not Christophorus.
    Same thing, though. They would not have printed this without approval from Dr W. himself (or else heads are going to roll very soon! ).

I'd agree that the Panorama information should be considered the most reliable.

So, that settles it: It is highly likely that the facelift, DI, and about 15hp comes with 2008 models.

That means cars delivered this coming September will be facelifted 2008 cars.

As I predicted by reasoning that more profits can be made with quicker turn-around times for facelifts. Get used to routine more frequent cosmetic changes in the years ahead.

Actually this is good news for people who are tempted to wait. It means any "new" cars will age very quickly so there's even less of an incentive for new buyers to stay on the sidelines waiting for the once-higher-longevity of the newest version of the car.

Also keep in mind the profit-enhancing more frequent "buzz" of a "new" Porsche.

Gee..., THAT sounds like a marketing strategy!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    That means cars delivered this coming September will be facelifted 2008 cars.

I'm not buying it simply because I don't believe Porsche can deliver DFI and PDK cars this fall. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    As I predicted

You were not the only one.

(... and I still have that outcry of some people in my ears. )

mmm

releasing the facelift delivery sept2007?
    that would be really inconvinient since I'm sheduled for a aug2007 delivery
    however my OPC says to know nothing about a facelift (also convinient no?)

Don't wanna end up with a pre-faceliftcar two weeks after I receive it...

Quote:
    mvd said:
    I'm not buying it simply because I don't believe Porsche can deliver DFI and PDK cars this fall. Let's hope I'm wrong.

not saying you're right or wrong but why do you say that? do you know the status of their development?

my guess would be MY08 3 years after 997 launch just as with the 996..porsche are so systematic with these things

MY08 facelift in August 2007:

Who wouldn't want 15 more hp and direct fuel injection? I would, no doubt. I plan to do the X51 upgrade one day anyway.

I'm not interested in DSG. I don't want a PlayStation experience. I want the involvement of a manual gearbox. But everyone has their own preference.

I'm also no fan of the rear LED lights or the front air intakes.

On balance, I'm glad I bought my 997S in Nov 2006. No regrets whatsoever! I've been enjoying my 997S enormously and wouldn't trade that for anything.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

I didn't see this in Christophorus.

I didn't saw or didn't read it either.
    HELP! Maybe I do need a pair of glases?!?

Greetings (here are my glases)

One of the nice things about the 911 is that even a 20 year old 1986 carrera is still a beutiful car. I would not sell my 911 now to get the facelift and 15 hp. I am going to wait until a newer model comes out. When I bought my 2005 in the summer of 2004, I figured that a new model 911 would not comeout for 6-7 model years. With the porshce sedan slated to come out in 2009 or 2010. If the facelift comes out as a my2008 it will probably be around 2010 as a my2011 that the new 911 appears. Just my opinion. At that time we will probably see 395-400 hp for the s model

Re: PCA Club magazine PANORAMA reports......

Quote:
    Dave63 said:
    PANORAMA MAGAZINE February 2007 issue, page 63:

Porsche has released some advanced information on 2008 models that may get us all primed for purchase. For starters, the 911 will get direct injection as well as an optional dual-clutch for the manual transmission. The dual-clutch transmission allows for shifts without the need to lift power. The new injection, called DFI, is expected to increase mileage by ten percent. The Carrera S gets a horsepower boost to 370 bhp, up from 355. Designwise, the front end will receive a facelift via a larger intake, and the rear will feature a revised lighting system.

I have also heard that the new facelifted 997 might get a new gearbox with 7 gears (no, not 6 forward and 1 rear)?! Didn't Panorama mentioned it anyhow or anyway?

I'm looking forward to the facelift and to the reveal of it.

Greetings

So probably the 997 GT2 in Sep will also have the new style lighting and LED technology?

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    So probably the 997 GT2 in Sep will also have the new style lighting and LED technology?

no

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    997GT3RS said:

no

Darius, is that a "I know for sure it's not coming with that"-no or a "God let's hope it will have the old lights"-no?

Darius,

Sure you don't want to see that.

How was your pre face lift TT?

Do you guys actually think that the presence of the facelift model will dramatically affect the value of the current gen 997 by that much?

I mean I know WE are all porsche geeks that can tell a 4 from a 4s even w/o the badging but to the gen-pop/ majority of porsche buyers...

would they even notice if they bought a 996!? (ok im exagerating here but still facelift or no facelift...is it that huge a change...?)

Only when you come to sell your car!!!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    997GT3RS said:

no

Darius, is that a "I know for sure it's not coming with that"-no or a "God let's hope it will have the old lights"-no?

i know for sure at 95,8% that GT2 and Turbo Cabrio aren't coming with led tail lights..

and i pray that all the led lights of the 997 restyling test-mules make a short-circuit and Porsche find the conclusion to cancel the facelift from the face of the world....

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:

How was your pre face lift TT?

fine thanks!

i'm drinking to forget

I'm really confident that non-Porsche fanatics who make up 99% of the population out there would not notice any difference between the current 997 range and the facelifted versions. But, WE would know because we pay attention to the small exterior details.

IMHO, what others can spot or not is irrelevant UNLESS one buys cars caring what others might think.

Me? I buy cars only caring what I think. So the fact that I would know means everything.

As it happens, only the extra bhp and direct injection are appealing. The rest I can happily forego. As such, I am throughly glad I didn't wait until the facelift and I fully intend to keep my 997S mutatis mutandis. In fact, with hindsight, I wish I had got it even earlier as a MY06 model in June 2006 (the earliest possible build date following my order placed in Feb 2006) rather than Nov 2006. After all, Summer 2006 was a record hot and sunny one in London so I would have had even more fun. No matter, Summer 2007 is not far away!

Guys, quit arguing its already here!

I stopped by a dealer today (for an unrelated issue) and asked if they had any info on the facelift. The salesman asked what I meant. I explained the DFI, facelift and possibly PCM revisions. He said he would swap out to clear turn signals and clear taillights (ricer style) are already an option. Also, he explained the car already has the same kind of injection as Audi which is why its faster.

Boy did that make me feel foolish.

He did volunteer that they're already sold out of 2007RSs but would put me on the list for an '08. (I hadn't even asked about a GT3, let alone an RS.)

I should have bought two on the spot.

p.s. Terracotta looks much better in person than in any web photo I've seen so far.

Quote:
    waiting for PDK said:
    Guys, quit arguing its already here!

I stopped by a dealer today (for an unrelated issue) and asked if they had any info on the facelift. The salesman asked what I meant. I explained the DFI, facelift and possibly PCM revisions. He said he would swap out to clear turn signals and clear taillights (ricer style) are already an option. Also, he explained the car already has the same kind of injection as Audi which is why its faster.

Boy did that make me feel foolish.

He did volunteer that they're already sold out of 2007RSs but would put me on the list for an '08. (I hadn't even asked about a GT3, let alone an RS.)

I should have bought two on the spot.

p.s. Terracotta looks much better in person than in any web photo I've seen so far.

What are you talking about?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM