Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Happy Birthday to Walter

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Happy birthday Walter. Wish I could drive even 5% of what he can at 60.

Are you really that bad a driver Easy?

Many Happy returns Walter.

LOL! C'mon mate. I'm a good driver and we all fancy ourselves as good drivers but let's be honest - it's like me comparing myself at tennis against Roger Federer....I've watched the videos and what Walter Rohrl can do is just mindblowing!

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Why is he one of the greatest drivers ever? Has he competed at higher racing levels or he is one because he is a Porsche factory driver? I know he was a rally driver and a good one but is that it?

He also had success in Trans Am and IMS GTO (part of the Camel GT series)........

And DTM and LeMans.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    The "legend on wheels" turns 60 today

Totally agree! Where did you get that great photo of WR in the blue 550 Spyder in front of the CGT?

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Why is he one of the greatest drivers ever? Has he competed at higher racing levels or he is one because he is a Porsche factory driver? I know he was a rally driver and a good one but is that it?

He also had success in Trans Am and IMS GTO (part of the Camel GT series)........

And DTM and LeMans.

Hehe, I'm just messin wiv ya.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Walter Rörhl was named Rally Driver of the Millenium and All-Time Best Rally Driver by his peers. Niki Lauda calls him "the genius on wheels".

His greatest achievement is undoubtedly his 2nd WRC title in 1982, in which he drove a hopelessly outpowered (270 HP vs 355 HP ) and outhandled (RWD vs AWD) Opel Ascona to victory over the fearsome Audi Quattro armada.
    And he almost did it again the following year, this time in an equally obsolete 2WD Lancia 037.

I challenge anyone who doubts or minimizes Walter Röhrl's superior skills to win Le Mans in Nick's 430 or the WRC title in his Mini.

Oh, and anyone who disagree the World Rally Championship is THE most demanding driving championship can return to watching NASCAR, thanks.

I wish I could get you all in one room and quiz you regarding World Rally Championship. I suspect 90% of all the car enthusiast have no idea what it is, where they race and who is the last year champion. I would even wager they would not have any idea what kind of cars/trucks compete.

Seriously, when the public/press speak of great drivers rarely if ever is a Rally driver rarely if ever mentioned. When it comes to racing, rally driving is the minor leagues. Don't you think that if Walter was that good he would have raced in F1 or other formula competition?

I believe what is at work here is Porsche bias.

BTW I have seen the YouTube clip before. No doubt he is an excellent driver but apparently not world class.

This is pointless since I could as well have checked the answers on Wikipedia before posting, but this is a forum with a great lot of car nuts. Real car nuts, not people who buy a Ferrari to drive to Starbucks (gratuitous blow below the belt ). We're not "the public", or even "the American public" (insert NASCAR redneck stereotype here). We know better.

In fact rally drivers generally humiliate drivers from other major leagues in the Race of Champions - a yearly event with drivers from all leagues, driving all kinds of vehicles (WRC, F1, go-karts, "hot hatches", GT3s...).

It's pretty obvious why: a great WRC driver is equally fast on all surfaces. A great F1 driver is only fast on tarmac. That's the reason why rally is the most demanding form of racing.

About Walter Röhrl: it might sound odd to consider him the all-time best rally driver, considering he only won 14 races and 2 WRC titles.

However, he always had to make up for an inferior car. In 1980-1983, he won 2 titles despite the Audi Quattro's superiority. When he eventually joined Audi in 1984, there was a new sheriff in town: Peugeot. His stunning 1982 WRC title is the bext example of how superior driving skill can compensate technological inferiority.

When he did not win, he was always 2nd or 3rd. That kind of regularity pays off big time over a full season.

In 1983, his team, Lancia, did not care about the Drivers' championship and chose not to enter the last race in order to save money. They had won the Manufacturers' title. Mission accomplished. Röhrl was not Italian , so they deprived him of a possible 3rd title.

Lastly, the reason Walter Röhrl is the greatest rally driver ever is that during the mid 1980's, group B rally cars were genuine monsters (600hp with extreme turbo lag on snow or gravel... ). Kankkunen and Makinen might have won 4 titles, but they did most of their careers on comparatively tame group A (production-based 300 HP) cars.

To be fair, if Walter Röhrl is the greatest rally driver ever, the greatest driver ever has to be Jacky Ickx.

Happy Birthday, and many more !

Great picture, PJ!

The Porsche test drivers I had a chance to ride with are awesome drivers- so I can only imagine how great Walter is. Salute!

I've red comments from car-magazine chief editors/drivers such as Evo,Car, DE.mag saying "they almost pied in their pants during the ride with Walter at various launches such as the 4S in SouthFrance on a closed part of the Rally-road" or "Walter was upshifting at points where I more felt like hard braking...explaining calmly the difference between 2s and 4s...." as well as those people experiencing a ride in their own car with him saying " It felt like they put a different engine in...." - I am sad that such characters are slowly disappearing. I hope he will drive for many years to come for us to read about those who had the pleasure to experience the "genius". I also read he recently bought a black 964RS for having fun....

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW I have seen the YouTube clip before. No doubt he is an excellent driver but apparently not world class.

Nick, as much as we all laugh about yr comments and eagerness to push as much buttons as you can - believe us one time. Walter is from the EU car-community recognized genius...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    The "legend on wheels" turns 60 today

Totally agree! Where did you get that great photo of WR in the blue 550 Spyder in front of the CGT?

Grant, you can have a look at the entire pic series over here:
    http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/reportagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=9339
    Enjoy

A true living legend. I aspire to meet with him either when I purchase the next Porsche supercar at Leipzig or dream about bumping into him during my next visit to the Nordschleife.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Walter Rörhl was named Rally Driver of the Millenium and All-Time Best Rally Driver by his peers. Niki Lauda calls him "the genius on wheels".

His greatest achievement is undoubtedly his 2nd WRC title in 1982, in which he drove a hopelessly outpowered (270 HP vs 355 HP ) and outhandled (RWD vs AWD) Opel Ascona to victory over the fearsome Audi Quattro armada.
    And he almost did it again the following year, this time in an equally obsolete 2WD Lancia 037.

I challenge anyone who doubts or minimizes Walter Röhrl's superior skills to win Le Mans in Nick's 430 or the WRC title in his Mini.

Oh, and anyone who disagree the World Rally Championship is THE most demanding driving championship can return to watching NASCAR, thanks.

I wish I could get you all in one room and quiz you regarding World Rally Championship. I suspect 90% of all the car enthusiast have no idea what it is, where they race and who is the last year champion. I would even wager they would not have any idea what kind of cars/trucks compete.

Seriously, when the public/press speak of great drivers rarely if ever is a Rally driver rarely if ever mentioned. When it comes to racing, rally driving is the minor leagues. Don't you think that if Walter was that good he would have raced in F1 or other formula competition?

Spoken like a true narrow minded American. There is more to the world than north America you know. The rest of the world don't know who your Nascar or Champcar drivers are either...

Totally agree

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

In fact for the above given statements I have lost all appreciation for your comments. Please re-join the teletubbies club. As much as you seem to be a nice guy, your point of view is just way, way off.

Just for the record, in terms of popularity WRC comes close to F1 racing in Europe. No wonder, since a fair share of events are held right there. Anything else you want to know regarding that issue?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Spoken like a true narrow minded American. There is more to the world than north America you know. The rest of the world don't know who your Nascar or Champcar drivers are either...

And the sad thing: Nick isn't even native American...

Your right and none of us believe Nascar drivers are the world best. There is a tendency for the ROW to label their people and products as the greatest when in fact they are only good. Americans suffered from that type of thinking in the 1950's and 60's which led to our downfall today.

Again, I am not saying Walter is not good because he is. But to place him in the pantheon of world class drivers is doing a disservice to all the truly great drivers that came before and after him.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:Grant, you can have a look at the entire pic series over here:
    http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/reportagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=9339
    Enjoy

That was great! Thank you very much

Quote:
    Ferdie said:

There not many native Americans left to be honest.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:

There not many native Americans left to be honest.

There are some...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7415729909214493721

I've posted this before but it's one of the many reasons why Rohrl is a legend...just wait until it gets to the 2minute mark and then you'll see a short abstract of that foggy special stage...very few people, probably no more than the fingers of you hand, can drive like that...and just listen what he says at the interview...I was 18-19 when I first saw that video and every time I realize what he did, well I feel I should burn my license or something lol

the reason why the press, at least the european one, says he's a legend is because of his down to earth personality and also because of the terrifying laps at the ring they've had along with him...what's more, when he won his 2 WRC championships, the cars were ancient compared to the ones we have today...no e-diffs, no adjustable suspensions etc...they had so much power that the chassis and transmission could barely put down on the road...and when you see how fast they were going, you realize they should have been crazy or something!!! like Ari Vatanen...he's mad for sure...the proof for such an assumption can be seen in the classic Pikes Peak Hill climb video...

Marcus..........thank you!

That Arganil was historic!!!!

So great.....

Just to say I'm also impressed by how much confidence gives the absolute ignorance! jajajaja

This was and it is a sincere Happy Birthday Walter!

Unfortunately... the "Borgs" are there.....trying to "burger assimilate" all they do not understand.....

I'd love so much a meeting with those so much experts in piloting!...those who have not idea of the great figures in history of racing are....

I suppose they also have the firm knodledge about Nietszche, James Joyce, Bertrand Russell, the thermodinamic principles, navigation, lao Tse, ceramic pistons, meat and potatoes, etc.....

Simply....I'll hardly remember such a concentration of ignorant spices, stuffed in a cabrio sausagge, with the red and ultimate knoledge (if you pay less,not so much knoledge)

Thanks so much to the exclusive Honoris Causa Members of this forum to bring us, the beggars to light............

BUT.....jajaja just see the Master piloting! jajajaja

and please, try onwards to be less pathethic and ignorant with responses.....we have better things rather to clarify childish arrogant and non based statements.....plase....go to the bibliotek...learn how to drive....do not be so predictable and boring......

Thanks in advance....

Post Datum: I'd really love to encourage you to join a rally! .....maybe you can grasp what is the PHANTHEON OF PILOTS......

By the way....without going to the dictionary....

Wath means Pantheon...ethimolpogy?

I'm really hungry to learn about Borgs that laugh about one of the man that showed me how to decently drive a car in a race..............

and those lessons drove me to be the rally champion of.....

maybe they where not so bad appointed????

post datum:

Please do not molest me with the typical "original" messagge....I will not respond..................

It's simple...try to add somethihing,....common....be brave...!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763775 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436132 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82575 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876459 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM