Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayennes in Moab

I am in Moab Utah at this moment, seemingly the off-roading capital of the world. I have been here since Monday and met up with our good friend Jeffrey Behr in his Cayenne Turbo and another friend who brought a Toyota FourRunner. We have been admiring the fantastic spectacles of nature here and sampling the off-road trails.

I will be here a couple more days before going back to Texas. The photo below is all I have time for now. My internet access here is limited. I am posting this from a slow dialup modem. I will have more details and photos when I return.

Re: Cayennes in Moab

And here he is again!

And can you believe he actually WASHED it while on this trip!

Wow, guys, I turn green with envy.

Thanks for sharing these amazing pics.

Wow!!!

Beautiful pictures and scenary

I went mountain biking in Moab. Great place for any kind of off-roading although we did make up a saying last time our bike group was there... "STUPID JEEPS!" Haha. It was annoying being passed by Jeeps on the road like section and then having to pass the jeeps on the rocky more challenging trails.

Maybe next time we go there we'll be yelling STUPID CAYENNES!

Wooo Hooooo!!!!

Excellent pictures, gentlemen. I look forward to the rest of the pictures when you get back. I know you two guys will have a bunch of great pics. All that's missing from those picture is one more Silver Cayenne with a roofrack

Hope you are having as much fun as we think you are having.

How about a Cayenne Rennteam.com meeting next year in Utah?

Guys, I love these pictures. I want moooooorreeeeee....

Quote:
    RC said:
    How about a Cayenne Rennteam.com meeting next year in Utah?

Guys, I love these pictures. I want moooooorreeeeee....

How about SW Colorado in the fall, headquartered in Ouray, the real 4WD capital of the US, for more of these?

This was taken on the northern (Ouray) end of the Alpine Loop that runs most of the way, east of US550, between Silverton and Ouray. It's on the way to Engineer Pass.

...or this one, taken from Last Dollar Road. Telluride is a couple miles over the tree-topped ridge.

Jeffrey,

What kind of Camera are U using?

The pictures are amazing

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Jeffrey,

The pictures are amazing

There is a saying: the photographer takes the pictures, not the camera. The pictures are just great, such beautiful colors and the depth of the pictures is amazing too. I always said that Jeffrey looks a little bit like H.Newton, maybe he's his lost brother.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Jeffrey,

The pictures are amazing

A Canon EOS 1Ds and about 30 more pounds of stuff. But thanx, RC; you're right--'tis the fotografer who makes it or doesn't.* I get lucky sometimes.

---------------------------------

If that meeting were in Moab, we could get some pics of Delicate Arch like this.

* Have you ever heard anyone ask what kind of pots and pans a great chef uses?

Quote:
    There is a saying: the photographer takes the pictures, not the camera.

Great shots, guys. What a great trip. Did the trails around Silverton and Ouray in Jeep a few years back then went to Moab and did more.

Can't wait to see and hear more.

Dain

guys, great photos!! But I will never spend a 70k worth of car like that eventhough its designed for offroading. I am really amazed by you guys

What a landscapes!..........what a beauty!

Thank you very much for those photos (I have a 10EOS, and seeing your creations, I realize I have still to work very, very hard!).

I feel I need to go back to the States (Too much time since the last time)........only in that privileged land and nature, that so special beauty can be seen.....if a Cayenne added, the "final" touch is served.

Yes, the only responsable ones in a photo are shapes, light, colours, and, principally, the way the artist milds them together.

Thanks again for the photos.

Quote:
    1RAGE said:
    I went mountain biking in Moab. Great place for any kind of off-roading although we did make up a saying last time our bike group was there... "STUPID JEEPS!" Haha. It was annoying being passed by Jeeps on the road like section and then having to pass the jeeps on the rocky more challenging trails.

Maybe next time we go there we'll be yelling STUPID CAYENNES!

Ha!

That is EXACTLY what happened today at Elephant Hill! We drove up Elephant Hill (more about that later in a separate post) and on to the Confluence Overlook. While there, three bike riders showed up. We all left about the same time but the bikes left first. They stayed in front of us on a sandy trail for about 15 minutes, not letting us pass. Finally two pulled over and we went by. The third sped on and cranked up the speed, which was fine. And yes, when we got to the big rocks and boulders we had to slow down. And yes, the bikes caught up and went around, which was also fine. We all have to share the road and different vehicles are going to go at different speeds because they have different capabilities. I think we all just need to recognize that and treat other trail riders with courtesy.

Wow, i am jealous... would love to meet you guys somewhere if you think a CS without air could make it...

Quote:
    knockoff said:
    Wow, i am jealous... would love to meet you guys somewhere if you think a CS without air could make it...

GM's S has air suspension.

Great "Silver Stairs" picture GM

These are absolutely spectacular photos. Please keep them coming!!! Us city-dwellers must live vicariously between sporadic quests to the mountains....

Wish I was out there with you guys...

What a fantastic trip! I spent five days in the Moab area, primarily in Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. It is just a wonderful area for off-roading, mountain biking, climbing and whitewater sports. As I mentioned previously, I met Jeffrey Behr and a friend from California. Our first outing was in Arches where Jeffrey and I watched from below while my friend and his climbing buddies conquered a sandstone spire called Owl Rock, similar to the ones seen below.

Later Jeffrey and I took the four wheel drive road from Tower Arch to Balanced Rock. Jeffrey has already posted two photos from that trail. Here is another one. I think this is an excellent road and would recommend it to any Cayenne owner with air suspension.

The trail is challenging but not so much that you have to get out and preview the trail frequently. We only needed to do that once, or more correctly, should have done that once. Jeffrey radioed to me on his FRS "I don't know what I'm driving off into but here I go!" Fortunately he picked the right route or he might have buried his grill in some sand! I believe this is in the photo Jeffrey posted above. You can probably see that I would have been in trouble if I had gone to the left when I crested that rock! I do not think this would be a good road for non-air Cayennes. Good ground clearance is frequently a critical factor. But don't worry, there are plenty of suitable off-road trails here for all variety of Cayennes.

The next day I went to the Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands. I got there via Potash Road and Shafer Trail. This road has some spectacular scenery and would be suitable for all Cayennes. Here is a photo from Potash Road.

Potash Road eventually leads you to Shafer Trail which rises up a canyon wall through a series of switchbacks.

Here's a view from the top, looking back down the trail. The road is wide enough and fairly well maintained. Just don't get distracted by the scenery. It's a long way down!

We next took Mineral Bottom Road and Horsethief Trail, which are both well maintained, down to the Green River and followed it over to Taylor Canyon. The drop-off to the river is through some steep switchbacks but the road condition is good. My friends wanted a view of Zeus and Moses, two towers they thought they might climb at some future date. We were running out of daylight and the clouds were threatening. You sure don't want to try going up switchbacks on a wet road! Or the dark! We finally came around a butte and there they were. We didn't have time to get up close so we just took some photos and prepared to leave. The light wasn't great but we couldn't wait. Just as we were getting back in the cars, the sun broke through some clouds and resulted in the scene below. We quickly shot some photos and sped off. We managed to climb out of the canyon just as the sun set.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780482 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442471 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263272 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261584 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5889 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881317 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818531 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM