Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ooops, I did it again

Sold the TT last Friday with only 1100 miles and 2 months of ownership. Sold it back to the dealer and got back every penny EXCEPT the taxes of course. Who said Porsche's don't hold their value!!!! Thinking of getting a 997TT cab. When will the US dealer's get their allocation? I have a call to the dealer but my salesman knows less than me but he is a good guy. Loved the car but there were couple things that I rather not share as to why it was sold. Don't want to offend other owners. I'll hang around here though as I will need your help in specing the next one !!!!! I cant stand my 997S without the PCCB. Steel rotors sucks man.

Re: Ooops, I did it again

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Sold the TT last Friday with only 1100 miles and 2 months of ownership. Sold it back to the dealer and got back every penny EXCEPT the taxes of course. Who said Porsche's don't hold their value!!!! Thinking of getting a 997TT cab. When will the US dealer's get their allocation? I have a call to the dealer but my salesman knows less than me but he is a good guy. Loved the car (( but there were couple things that I rather not share as to why it was sold )). Don't want to offend other owners. I'll hang around here though as I will need your help in specing the next one !!!!! I cant stand my 997S without the PCCB. Steel rotors sucks man.

Ok, know we have to know why you sold your car

Quote:
    OuTLaW_Rules said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Sold the TT last Friday with only 1100 miles and 2 months of ownership. Sold it back to the dealer and got back every penny EXCEPT the taxes of course. Who said Porsche's don't hold their value!!!! Thinking of getting a 997TT cab. When will the US dealer's get their allocation? I have a call to the dealer but my salesman knows less than me but he is a good guy. Loved the car (( but there were couple things that I rather not share as to why it was sold )). Don't want to offend other owners. I'll hang around here though as I will need your help in specing the next one !!!!! I cant stand my 997S without the PCCB. Steel rotors sucks man.

Right, tell us the truth!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    OuTLaW_Rules said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:

Right, tell us the truth!

???

Since he claims he got all his money back, there's only one explanation... he claimed a defect under the lemon law.

Good job being able to enjoy the whole ordering/ spec'ing/ delivery process and then driving it for a little while and getting back your money. Imagine if you lived in NY you'd get the tax back too! But I doubt you'll find as good a deal getting in and out w/ just paying tax.

turbo cab for you too eh? Can't wait. I wonder if the turbo cab will be at next months New York car show? For the turbo coupe I got to see it at the private showing at last years NY auto show, probably not enough time but who knows. I haven't checked w/ my dealer lately but I last we spoke he mentioned the turbo cab was due to be delivered approx. late summer/early fall.

Silver - Regarding the couple of things you didn't like about the car you sold - Weeezz gochta know....Come on no one is going to get offended what didn't you like?

"Steel rotors sucks man." - AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Since he claims he got all his money back, there's only one explanation... he claimed a defect under the lemon law.

no lemon law... when the cars first came out there was so much demand that trade-in value was MSRP.

Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

no lemon law... when the cars first came out there was so much demand that trade-in value was MSRP.

Sold mine back to the dealer as well. Actually got $3,500.00 more than I paid for it.

Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

Trade-in value MSRP ??? of what?

I can order a Turbo today and get it within 3/4 months? why would I be buying a used car for the same amount?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Good job being able to enjoy the whole ordering/ spec'ing/ delivery process and then driving it for a little while and getting back your money. Imagine if you lived in NY you'd get the tax back too! But I doubt you'll find as good a deal getting in and out w/ just paying tax.

turbo cab for you too eh? Can't wait. I wonder if the turbo cab will be at next months New York car show? For the turbo coupe I got to see it at the private showing at last years NY auto show, probably not enough time but who knows. I haven't checked w/ my dealer lately but I last we spoke he mentioned the turbo cab was due to be delivered approx. late summer/early fall.

Silver - Regarding the couple of things you didn't like about the car you sold - Weeezz gochta know....Come on no one is going to get offended what didn't you like?

"Steel rotors sucks man." - AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stradale and team. You know It's just pure fun going through the whole ordering process, waiting, taking delivery, adding the few touches when the car arrives and then do it all over again w/o much of a loss. On one of Stardale earlier notes he recomended selling both the Turbo and the 997S cab and getting a Cab turbo and I think I will be doing just that. We'll see

I paid $143+ taxes=$154K and dealer bought it back for $143K. They put it on sale today for $159K. Someone will walk in and buy it for $155K

Quote:
    ADias said:

The car didn't have any problem what so ever. It's just me. I have bought many cars from my dealer and they treat me well. I don't think I could do this with my 997S cab though. There aren't that many TT around and the reasosn they bought it back for the same price. They know they can sell it for few more thousand, hopefully

The beauty of the CA car market...

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Loved the car but there were couple things that I rather not share as to why it was sold.

Wife got mad and threatened to cut off your...,
    allowance?

(nah, just kidding)

Hi Silverrules, I am upgrading from my 997S to a TT(March 21st completion date). Could you briefly give a comparison between your 997S cab vs the TT? I know you like convertibles and we all know about the HP difference but how about comfort, clutch feel, weight differences, handling/steering differences, cruising at freeway speeds, fit and finish, exhaust notes, etc. I think MMD would also like some feedback (think he's got the fever too). Thanks.

Yeah, would be great to hear your impressions on how the two compare.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Loved the car but there were couple things that I rather not share as to why it was sold.

Wife got mad and threatened to cut off your...,
    allowance?

(nah, just kidding)

How did you know MMD? hahaha. Ladies are always happy when we reduce our toys. You know that!!!! Actually at dinner tonight my daughter gave me crap for selling the white beauty. She is 12 yr old and her friends loved the white car. My wife just asked me what I was up to now . They dont know about the 997TT cab, shhhhh.

Quote:
    ADias said:

I can order a Turbo today and get it within 3/4 months? why would I be buying a used car for the same amount?

There will always be people who don't like waiting a couple days for a car, much less 3/4month. Dealers LOVE these kinda of people, they will happily fork over extra 10k or 20 just to have one without the wait. If there are no new cars on the lot, a low millage used one at MSRP is VERY attractive.

When I got my car I had someone offered me more than MSRP for my car, I turned down the offer as I don't need the extra cash and if I sold it I wouldn't have a car for another 2 months. Other people might differs but I'd rather be driving the car than have cash in my pocket but no car to drive.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    She is 12 yr old and her friends loved the white car. My wife just asked me what I was up to now . They dont know about the 997TT cab, shhhhh.

Keep the cab a secret to the wife but let the 12 yr old know?

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    Hi Silverrules, I am upgrading from my 997S to a TT(March 21st completion date). Could you briefly give a comparison between your 997S cab vs the TT? I know you like convertibles and we all know about the HP difference but how about comfort, clutch feel, weight differences, handling/steering differences, cruising at freeway speeds, fit and finish, exhaust notes, etc. I think MMD would also like some feedback (think he's got the fever too). Thanks.

Hi there.
    Congratulations. You will not be disappointed. That's for sure!!!!

Summary: Get the PCCB and don't even think about it. The car stops on a dime. I felt unsafe when I drove my S with the steel rotors after driving the TT. The dust was very minimal on the PCCB and I frankly could never see it.The TT has awesome power but where can you use all the power in USA. Push the pedal and you are pushed back on your seat but after a while it gets old. I could never go faster than 110mph. The power of S is not bad. I really don't miss the power of TT as much as I miss how the TT was so planted to the tarmac.
    how about comfort: QUITE ? and comfortable. TT feels Planted and hard to get out of balance. Comfortable for long drives and a lot more control compared with S. The S with sport button pressed on is like riding on railroad track but not TT.

clutch feel: TT clutch is a lot softer and obviously less work and strain on your knees. I actually had a hard time with the clutch on my S after driving the TT. It just required a lot of work. You get lazy after driving the TT.

I have sport shifter on my S but will never get that again. Loved the STD shifter on TT.

weight differences: The extra weight makes the car more planted and begs to drive the car faster. Whoever tells you the car is heavy is full of it. It needs to be heavy for the kind of driving this car is designed for.

handling/steering differences, cruising at freeway speeds, fit and finish, exhaust notes, etc: fit and finish is exactly like the S which sucks. They should make them different so you feel like you have another car. Steering at the corners felt much safer compared to S . I had the LSD and could never tell what it would be like w/o the LSD. I will get the LSD again to make sure I get the same ride. Cruising at highway speed is very comfortable and a lot mor quite than my cab. The cab has a lot of rattling. TT is extremely quite. Roll the window down and you can hear the woosh sound of the exhaust. My wife doesn't care too much for PSE on my S and she felt a lot more comfortable in TT with less noise. I frankly didnt care for louder sound on my TT. It was nice to ride quietly but then again everybody is different and it could have been because I knew I could have it on my S.

Good luck. You will love the TT. There is no substitue.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    She is 12 yr old and her friends loved the white car. My wife just asked me what I was up to now . They dont know about the 997TT cab, shhhhh.

Keep the cab a secret to the wife but let the 12 yr old know?

This is a good plan indeed. Let my 12 yr old break the news to mom that a new car will be arriving in no time. My daughter is paranoid now and thinks I will sell the cab as well. You see, us guys have to play all these games to get what we want

Reminds me of how I ordered my ML63 back in July and when the car arrived in Nov and time to pick it up, I made up a lame story on someone ordered this car but back out at the last minute, and the salesman gave me a courtesy call to see if I wanted it. My 5 yr old however knew from the beginning as he was there when I placed the order and told me he loved that car and wanted me to buy one.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

The car didn't have any problem what so ever. It's just me. I have bought many cars from my dealer and they treat me well. I don't think I could do this with my 997S cab though. There aren't that many TT around and the reasosn they bought it back for the same price. They know they can sell it for few more thousand, hopefully

Indeed, have similar relationships w/my local P/MB/F dealers...early-product cycle cars that are in tight supply often have 90-100% trade-in value in first 6 mos or so (100% even after 12 mos/5K+ mis w/F ).....can enjoy latest/greatest tech cars for 1-5K mis w/minim costs and no mtce costs.....and building volume relationships/referrals w/any competent dealer tends to translate to early spots on future hot cars/at-cost lease terms/more favorable trade-in values/VIP treatment for any warranty svc issues.....most well-run businesses tend to treat their more frequent/more profitable customers better than typical unknown, often price-shopping, cust....

BTW, esp in CA, makes little sense to buy any car.....typically much cheaper/more liquid to $0 down lease any cars to minimize sales tx costs and opportunity capital costs....and preserve protection of lease gap insurance cvg in event of total collision loss/theft.....

Appreciate your comparison Silverrules. I have the PSE also on my 997S and will not mind having an exhaust with a little less volume. The wife (long time girlfriend actually) will like the comfy features of the Turbo.

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    Appreciate your comparison Silverrules. I have the PSE also on my 997S and will not mind having an exhaust with a little less volume. The wife (long time girlfriend actually) will like the comfy features of the Turbo.

May is a perfect time to get a new car. I just saw a GT silver at the dealer and it was beautiful. You won't miss your 997S . I will be selling mine in couple months and before the 997TT cab arrives (probably sept/oct). Later.

Can't agree more about the PCCBs. I frankly just never needed the power that the TT produces and didn't want to go that route. A 997S cab with PCCBs and PSE worked for me. The TT is a great car however,--but your choice of brakes is important. I predict that in time more and more buyers will come over to the ceramic side and the replacement costs will go down for rotors, etc.

Dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777798 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441928 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85369 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880784 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM