Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Topspeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grb9L08TCdU

Nice review from MT - can't disagree with the conclusion that a lesser McLaren and $$ on driving lessons is the wiser buy.... but who buys supercars with their rational brain?  

Always enjoy Randy Pobst's ability to describe what he is feeling, while driving near the limit (usually at this Willow Springs course which has many high speed turns and some bumps).  He is the only one I can remember that comments on the McLaren's (650S too) tendency to move around a lot under max braking, and here he also comments on poor corner exit traction.... I wonder if McLaren has reach the limit of their differential tech with the 675?  Or, that the air brake  adds braking but also changes air flow that could partly destabilize the car?  Despite all this, still a bloody quick car.... 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GacWzPT2Lh0

This weekend I was invited from McLaren to test the new 570s.

I'm very impressed, the overall design, feel and driving experience. For me it is for sure a very good alternative for a 911 turbo or turbo s.

IMG_8189.jpg
    IMG_8175.jpg
    IMG_8191.jpg
    IMG_8184.jpg
    IMG_8188.jpg
    IMG_8182.jpg
    IMG_8183.jpg
    IMG_8176.jpg
    IMG_8193.jpg
    IMG_8177.jpg
    IMG_8195.jpg

--

AM

How do you rate fit/finish? 

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Adnan,

Little bit longer review of 570S would be appreciated. 

How do you rate gearbox, especially auto (D) mode and shifting speed/feel in manual mode?

Is the car usable daily as 991 Turbo in your opinion?

Do the car feel faster and more powerful then your 991 GT3 RS?

How is high speed stability and overall traction?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

I have to work ;)

I did wrote a longer review, but closed the browser before sending.

So lets start with engine sound, very nice much better the 991 turbo and of course totally different to my GT3 RS. Switch powertrain from normal to track changes also the exhaust sound.

Damper: a wider spectrum then 991. Normal is really normal and you can use it as a daily car. Track setting gets firm but  not too firm, it is not as firm as my RS. The overall traction is fantastic. Boxberg is a very tight "race" track so I can not compare it directly with my RS. I think that 911 turbo has a huge advantage due to awd on such courses. But for a rwd car it is fantastic.

Powertrain: you can choose between normal, sport and track. You have to put ESC to dynamic to have a real good reaction of drive by wire. I did´t feel the turbo so much, maybe if I didn´t know or hear it I would not know. The engine revs up and from 4000 rpm it has much power. I would say 991 turbo has more power and 991 GT3 RS different (from 6000 rpm and up they are equal).

Shifting is fast, I used manual nearly all the time. But I think that automatic modus is fine. 

The car is as usable as a 991 turbo as a daily driver. You can enter easy. The noise level is ok. The car is very stable on higher speed, we drove the high speed oval.

The finish of the car is on a high level. I would take alcantara over leather and race seats over comfort seats. The navigation and control system is ok nothing special. 

If I have to choose between R8, 570S, 991 turbo and Huracan I would take the 570 s without long thinking. If I have to choose between my GT3 RS and 570 s - hmmh I think I would keep my RS.

--

AM

Thanks!

And between 488 GTB and 570S? Is 488 GTB worth extra money over 570S in your opinion?

I know that you have to work...smiley

U radu je spas. indecision

I am not a 488 fan - if Ferrari then front-engine model. I can´t tell you about 488 GTB, didn´t testdrive any. 488 is not in my focus.

--

AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-VmBLkoURM

Even with the jump, the 675LT pulled it. Car is a beast.

KresoF1:

Thanks!

And between 488 GTB and 570S? Is 488 GTB worth extra money over 570S in your opinion?

if you are interested in residuals then 488 all the way. the maccis drop in value like a free-falling stone (maybe not the 675LT). other than that a tough call....

p

Another great day at Silvertone GP track. This time the LFA has a brand new battery and it started!

Verdict is confirmed. The RS is a beast on the track but the LT is more fun. It's more agile and so responsive. The front end is so sharp, and yet the front tyres are so skinny, I wonder how they've pulled that one off.

LFA feels a bit dated in this company but by far the best sounding, and a lot of fun too, fantastic car.

The LT is probably the most rounded, and on top of that, it's just so fast! I mean, ridiculously fast. It's Laferrari fast. Tyre grip somehow was a lot better this time compared to last time. Similar conditions though, it's odd.

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

Thanks!

if you are interested in residuals then 488 all the way. the maccis drop in value like a free-falling stone (maybe not the 675LT). other than that a tough call....

p

Is that the case here in the UK??..Thought they held up well, pmark.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:
    pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

Thanks!

p

central europe i know about. don't know UK market well

Really falling for the 675LT here, unfortunately the prices are not falling along with me laugh

The LFA NBR will always remain a solid favorite, maybe you should honor its name and take it to the Nordschleife this year, bet if feels awesome there!

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:

Really falling for the 675LT here, unfortunately the prices are not falling along with me laugh

The LFA NBR will always remain a solid favorite, maybe you should honor its name and take it to the Nordschleife this year, bet if feels awesome there!

Good idea! We have a WEC race there in July so I was gonna bring some toys to play on the north loop anyway.

It's an awesome car indeed. Very mechanical in feel. And that V10 is just a masterpiece, it will rev up to 9500 rpm, it's ridiculous.

Re LT prices, yes it's an expensive car, but even at this price, you get a lot for your money. It really is sensational. McLaren tend to depreciate, although I don't know with the LT, they limited them to 500 cars.

Porker:

Yes, the 675 LT is tempting but prices are high...

I can get young 12C Spider (1-2 years old) for under 200k (the 2 year old car with 13k km for around 175k) but 675 LT? Not a chance. Maybe in a year or two? Nah, doubt it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Futch:
    Porker:

Good idea! We have a WEC race there in July so I was gonna bring some toys to play on the north loop anyway.

It's an awesome car indeed. Very mechanical in feel. And that V10 is just a masterpiece, it will rev up to 9500 rpm, it's ridiculous.

Re LT prices, yes it's an expensive car, but even at this price, you get a lot for your money. It really is sensational. McLaren tend to depreciate, although I don't know with the LT, they limited them to 500 cars.

I think it ages pretty well too, the NBR version adds some welcome aggression to the design as well. Really really cool car. Smiley I might come over for the WEC at the NBR as well, would be great to do a couple of Nordschleife laps together.

Regarding the LT, I doubt they're going to lose much value given the good reviews it's getting, coupled to the limited supply and the fact its arguably the first of the modern era McLaren's to actually have some visual drama.

--

Yes, the 675 LT is a lovely car! kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I predict LT prices drop. Not as much as typical for McLaren, but at the end of the day, it's really not that limited with respect to demand. Yeah, they only made 500 coupes and 500 Spiders, but they probably were only selling 1000-1500 P11s per year nowadays anyway. The entire run of 675LT is probably about a year's worth of P11 supply anyway, and it's going to be going out of production soon anyway.

Great car, but it is like $400K. That's 2x what a used 650S cost. Is 675LT worth $200K more than a 650S or $250K more than a 12C? In my opinion, not even close.

If the 675 and 570S are proof that McLaren is on the ball and now knows how to turn out amazing and widely liked cars, then you should just wait for the $400K P14. Will be better than the 675LT, I'm sure, and cutting edge outside and inside.

pmarkow:
    throt:
    pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

Thanks!

p

LTs steady at £50k over list for now. Will be interesting to see what happens when the Spider arrives. I am keeping mine longterm.

I hear many discuss the resale value of the car for McLaren.  But does these people even had a chance to drive the car for more than a month?  Honestly 650S price drop is not too far away from 458 (in Asia).   If I buy the car for the reason of resale value and sure I will probably choose Ferrari.  However, When I spent that much of money, I want something that is good and fast and high tech.   458S tech. is just too far behind.  both on track and straight lines.  many talks about 458S is a fun car, but I find the body is too soft and stability is just not as sharp as 650S.  I've driven 675LT on the track and it is 2X better than 650S, and 100% if I had to do it all over again, I would get 675LT.  However, it does not mean 650S is any lesser than any Ferraries.   I love McLaren, but I used to love Ferraries as well...  458S is great, and does have a better resale value, but no comparsion with 650S.  Only I've own both cars in past history to be able to tell you that.    to me resale value is absoluty pointless to discuss.....  when you want expensive toys, u have to forget about resale value and think about what you can get out of this toy....  Carbon Monocell certainly made McLaren looks more value to buy, since its a different segment of supercar with this Monocell..... if used McLaren is cheaper to own in Euro than Ferrari, then I highly highly recommand anybody to go and buy one and drive it for a month on track to really appreciate this car instead of attacking something you don't have any experiences in.....  just resale this and resale that.........  McLaren to u maybe just about resale value then.....

i tend to agree that mclaren produces great cars. just their model-series policy terns me off. a new series every 6 months and all with the same engine (up to tweaks). 

crayphile:
    pmarkow:
    throt:
    pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

Thanks!

p

LTs steady at £50k over list for now. Will be interesting to see what happens when the Spider arrives. I am keeping mine longterm.

Are the LT's a complete sell out, is it a lottery getting one ?.

Cheers....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Try trading in your rocking horse with wooden balls? Smiley Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

pmarkow:

i tend to agree that mclaren produces great cars. just their model-series policy terns me off. a new series every 6 months and all with the same engine (up to tweaks). 

Not even close to what Porsche does. McLaren really has never had more than 2 models available at one time and they've only actually made 3 cars over the last  5 years.

P11
    P11/P12
    P11/P13

LT is overrated - spoke with somebody Close to the factory and the successor of the 650S will have well over 700 HP - once this is out the LT Prices will drop again.......ridiculous to pay 600k CHF for such a car.

I also believe that the 650S is one of the best sportscars out there for reasonable Money - used in CH you can get them around 200k......from 350 down.....

bluelines:
    throt:

Try trading in your rocking horse with wooden balls? Smiley Smiley

Do you think I get a fair price, bud, hahaha.. Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

noone1:
    pmarkow:

Not even close to what Porsche does. McLaren really has never had more than 2 models available at one time and they've only actually made 3 cars over the last  5 years.

P11
    P11/P12
    P11/P13

Hmm, no.

12C, 12C Spyder, 650S, 650S Spyder, P1, P1 GTR, 675LT, 675LT Spyder, 570S, 540C, and the up coming 570GT and Spyder.

That's 12.

But if we go by platform, then since 2011, McLaren only made variance of 1 car. However McLaren code name the different models is meaningless as they all shared the same platform. Porsche on the other hand has 5, rear engine 911, mid engine Cayman/Boxster, Cayenne, Panamera and the 918.

Expanding on that, and based on performance within the platform:

540C --> basic Carrera 2

570S/570S Spyder -->  Carrera 2S/Carrera 2S cab (Porsche doesn't have a 570GT equivalent 911 variant)

12C/12C Spyder --> Carrera GTS/Carrera GTS cab

650S/650S Spyder --> Turbo/Turbo cab (or GT3 and the theoretical GT3 cab)

675LT/675LT Spyder --> Turbo S/Turbo S cab (or GT3RS and the theoretical GT3RS cab)

P1/P1 GTR --> GT2/GT2RS

Even Ferrari has 3.5 platforms, front engine V8, mid engine V8, and the 2 front engine V12 cars which share quite a bit of the front end, but the back end differs enough to almost call them separate platforms.

--

BjoernB:

LT is overrated - spoke with somebody Close to the factory and the successor of the 650S will have well over 700 HP - once this is out the LT Prices will drop again.......ridiculous to pay 600k CHF for such a car.

I also believe that the 650S is one of the best sportscars out there for reasonable Money - used in CH you can get them around 200k......from 350 down.....

+1

650S is all what you need. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM